Community Forum

No fast forward???

New Poster

No fast forward???

The biggest reason I pay for ON DEMAND is to skip the LONGGGGG commercial breaks. "Demand" means to take control, well comcast is false advertising because I have noticed more and more programs I cannot Fast Forward the commercials on. Why is this ??? My personal opinion is comcast is getting payed a little more for there commercial slots. Anyone else happen to know why or anyone else notice this? ??? Very frustrating when u only have so much time to watch a program and you cannot use the option they are charging and promoting....The program "LIFE BELOW ZERO" is the latest show I have noticed this on. Comcast is getting away with this!! And down the road a few years all the programs will be set up like this. Please!! If I am paying for a service let me decide if I wanna watch the boring commercials....and my fellow customers who are also paying please comment so this might get some attention and get this stopped before its to late..
Gold Problem Solver

Re: No fast forward???

It isn't Comcast who is disabling FF. That was done by the networks. Sponsers pay the networks for the ads. They don't want people skipping the ads. Networks disable FF.

This is not limited to Comcast.

The ad models in the free VOD vary by network and sometimes by show, with some of the content fast-forward disabled and others providing full trick mode, CBS and NBC shows have fast-forward enabled, while for  ABC and Fox shows fast forward is disabled.

Contributor

Re: No fast forward - Forced to watch commercials??

If that's true, then comcast should give us the ability to fast forward past commercials the same way DirectTV does - by making a remote like Direct TV's remote or the Hopper.  If Comcast wanted to offer the FF service they could.   It comes down to money IMO - comcast is getting paid to air commercials to their captive audience.  we pay a huge amount of money for hundreds of stations even though we only was a couple dozen yet we have no way to limit the channels we don't want.

But the biggest irritant is paying for On demand and being forced to watch commercials!

Problem Solver

Again it's the networks that put in place restrictions like disabled fast forwarding.

Also, On Demand isn't and really wasn't set up for commercial-free viewing, being able to skip commercials, or anyting like that--it's there to be able to access various movies and shows at a time when you might want to (on demand) rather when a particular channel might be showing it.  All that skipping commercial stuff is part of what DVRs were designed for, not On Demand (and with shows you record to a DVR you can most certainly fast forward through any parts of them as you wish).

Contributor

So the satellite providers can offer fast forward but Comcast cannot?   Did the network put that in place?

Thx - 

New Poster

yea what really sucks is not being able to go back to it in the middle of the show. many times i pause and go back and i get an error that i have to start all over again and cant fast forward. i dont watch those shows anymore. who has time for that. most cable networks let you fast forward im noticing the locals abc nbc are the ones who force u to watch all the commercials everytime

Official Employee

l_turn9 wrote:

So the satellite providers can offer fast forward but Comcast cannot?   Did the network put that in place?

Thx - 

DVR programs don't currently have the FF restriction. 

Certain On Demand programs do have FF disabled. You will find that contractual restriction to be commonplace across the same program across most all video providers.

Problem Solver

meeshka45 wrote:

yea what really sucks is not being able to go back to it in the middle of the show. many times i pause and go back and i get an error that i have to start all over again and cant fast forward. i dont watch those shows anymore. who has time for that. most cable networks let you fast forward im noticing the locals abc nbc are the ones who force u to watch all the commercials everytime

You can still usually use the page up and down buttons to skip forward or back 5 minutes (and rewinding works too even if fast forwarding is disabled), so you can usually find a place where you stopped before without too much trouble--still not as convenient of course, but definitely doable and not all that hard.

Regular Visitor

On Demand commercials

We have had comcast for many years but just recently have noticed that when we watch some of the on demand TV shows and try to fast forward through the commercials, it is blocked, so we have to sit through the whole commercial... Why is this happening??? We thought that one of the features of the on demand was that you could fast forward through all commercials..

New Poster

Re: On Demand commercials

I've noticed the same thing. One of the nice things about xfinity was watching programs without interruption. Unfortunately, either Comcast is getting greedy or the advertisers are beating them up contractually and now we watch the stupid commercials.

Problem Solver
Frequent Visitor

Maybe it's time to switch to AT&T!

Contributor

so if I spend even MORE money with comcast to rent a DVR I can fast forward?  Hmmm... what's wrong with this picture?  I'd be better off going back to my VHS and record the programs I like...  no one has addressed the reason Direct TV can offer a remote that allows FF yet comcast does not?2

Valued Contributor

Your question has been answered, several times: fast-forward is disabled by the networks, not Comcast. The restrictions are universal across all video providers, including Directv: http://forums.directv.com/thread/11250298
New Poster

My gripe about this is that if I watch half a show and have to leave and don't get back to it for a couple days, I have to start at the beginning and watch all the way through it again.  This is extremely irritating.

Official Employee

Get a DVR then you can fast forward
Contributor

Comcast is a piece of work. They could enable the Fast Forward, but they choose not to, because they want the networks to supply them programming. This just shows that Comcast cares more about lining their pockets than their customers.

Sad part is, they don't even spend the money or time to make the Fast Forward being disabled tolerable by getting the implementation right. For example:

Why the heck can I not fast forward to a point in the media I'm watching that I've already reached? So, if I'm 5 minutes into what I'm watching, and I want to to rewatch the last minute and a half, why can't I fast forward through the first 5 minutes?

It's easy Comcast, as the show is watched, you keep track of what the user has reached. When I want to fast forward, you allow me to fast forward to that point.

Here's another... Why would Comcast disable the Guide menu while in the On-Demand section. How are people who want to use the Subtitles, supposed to use the darn subtitles?

Comcast, you are a multi-billion dollar industry and it seems you cannot get anything right. Only thing you get right is your Corporate Geed and your ability to continue screw over your loyal customers.

Official Employee

Comcast doesn't control the fast forward , the network that wants you to watch the commercials do.
Valued Contributor

Agilis,

I share some of your frustrations. However, Comcast doesn't decide which programs' fast-forward functions are disabled and which aren't. You'll notice that some ad-supported networks still allow you to fast-forward through commercials (or elsewhere in the programs if you so desire). If Comcast was pulling some sort of flimflam, surely all ad-supported networks would have their on demand fast-forward functions disabled, and not just some or most. You'll also notice that premium channels and other non-ad-supported networks enable fast-forwarding.

Supporting the above claim is the fact that Directv, Dish, U-Verse and FiOS customers have the same issues with the same on demand networks, as do other cable providers and even Hulu Plus (which I know from personal experience). A simple Google search confirms this; these companies have unhappy customers posting on forums, as well.

The best way to combat disabled fast-forwarding, unfortunately, is to shell out some extra cash and subscribe to DVR service. You are still free to fast-forward through recorded programs to your heart's content. For now, anyway.

Comcast probably could technically enable fast-forwarding on these shows, as you claim, but in doing so they'd be in breach of contract with the networks.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the new cable boxes (X1) give you full functionality during on demand programming. You can check out the guide, set recordings, view sports scores or weather; anything you can do during live programming. I, too, hated not being able to access anything else on the box while playing something. It took them way too long to fix it.

Best of all, the X1 no longer makes you watch that E! garbage while browsing the on demand menu. Instead you sort through programs while whatever you're watching (whether it's live television, a recording or on demand) continues to play.

It might be worth looking into. Last I heard, it's not available in all areas yet. Also, it was really buggy when I first got it, but in my experience the glitches seem to mostly have been fixed.
New Poster

What alternative do I have to Xfinity's On Demand?  I can't believe we cannot fast forward through the ads...  I understand fully that the advertisers shook hands with Xfinity on this, and I also understand that I can use my DVR to record shows. But really???  I'm just trying to catch up with some old episodes and have to be subjected to the same series of ads over and over.  I'm ready to try a new company & get rid of all my XFINITY services. 

Anybody have suggestions for better alternatives to Xfinity???  I'd love to hear the pros and cons. 

New Poster

I'm willing to accept that I'll need to watch a few commercials in order to see a recent broadcast using On Demand. But, I'm seeing the SAME block of commercials repeatedly throughout the program. Can there be a compromise where we sit through the set of commercials one time and then be left in peace to enjoy the program? The repetition is bordering on harassment.

Contributor

I've been looking at the Dish for cable TV - and there are plenty of others for on demand/old shows - Hulu, Google, Rabbit, etc all offer some kind of old programming.  I have no direct experience with them so I don't know how easy they are to use.   By having a bundle it makes it hard to comparison shop - my present concern is finding a decent internet connection.   There are some Sat connections available but i suspect the speed is slower.   Having Comcast speed for this long is addictive - will be hard to go to a slower connection.  

back to FF -  I understand the advertisers need to get to the audience and to get vaue for the money they spent - but iMO the Comcasts of the world are being paid twice.   Back when we had "Free" TV and only 3 channels, we were sold cable TV as being commercial free since we would be paying for access.

I could go on and on about the unfairness of the way Comcast and others do business but ranting won't help.   They won't change their position and neither will I.

Regular Visitor

I am with you on this.  I resent not being able to view my on demand the way I want to.  How could we start a petition?  I don't now enough about the internet to start a site to protest..  But I think our voices should be heard.  Doris Brady, Antioch, TN

Contributor

Doris, You will find everything needed to start a petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/create.html  -   I suspect gettting the word out to people so they will sign it will the hardest part - there's only so many addresses in your email address book.  But hopefully people will see this as something more than just the loss of a video feature.    I wish you luck and look forward to being one of the 1st to sign your petition.  ;-)

Larry

dorree1122 wrote:

I am with you on this.  I resent not being able to view my on demand the way I want to.  How could we start a petition?  I don't now enough about the internet to start a site to protest..  But I think our voices should be heard.  Doris Brady, Antioch, TN

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the web site.  I did it!  I put up my first petition ever thanks to you!  I hope it gets some signatures!  It's under corporate responsibility.  You're the best 9!  Doris Brady, Antioch, TN

Contributor

Yep, i have the same problem - watch 40% or worse, 75% and I have to either watch it all over again or just say the heck with it and find something else on tape to watch.  

meeshka45 wrote:

New Poster

You should have posted your petition title so others could sign your petition.

New Poster

Or you could always program the 30 second skip feature to your remote. that bypasses the on demand fast forward restriction. you can find out how with a simple internet search.

New Poster

I have been aware for some time that Comcast will not allow fast forwarding of some "On Demand" programs and we record everything on the DVR BUT I have noticed lately, that when we go to play a recorded program from the dvr, Comcast takes over and says something about a problem playing the program from the dvr and switches over to "On Demand" where they force us to watch the commercials. This is EXTREMELY annoying since that is the whole poinit of paying for the DVR!!! I am looking at alternatives to the Comcast dvr to see if there is a way around this? When we record a program on the dvr, we should be able to play it back without Comcast interference!!! Wondering if anyone has experience with Tivo or other dvr's? Can Comcast control those, too, and make them as useless as their own dvr?? 

Official Employee

sylvanr wrote:

I have been aware for some time that Comcast will not allow fast forwarding of some "On Demand" programs and we record everything on the DVR BUT I have noticed lately, that when we go to play a recorded program from the dvr, Comcast takes over and says something about a problem playing the program from the dvr and switches over to "On Demand" where they force us to watch the commercials. This is EXTREMELY annoying since that is the whole poinit of paying for the DVR!!! I am looking at alternatives to the Comcast dvr to see if there is a way around this? When we record a program on the dvr, we should be able to play it back without Comcast interference!!! Wondering if anyone has experience with Tivo or other dvr's? Can Comcast control those, too, and make them as useless as their own dvr?? 

That means the recording failed (for whatever reason) and the system is sending you to the next best option. Use the PG up button as a 30 second skip or 5 minute skip(however you have it set up) to fast forward

Frequent Visitor

Apologies if this has been addressed previously. With X1 platform, if you connect your device to a Wi-Fi other than Comcast, (eg, public Wi-Fi) there are NO commercials. The show will play seemlessly. Just a thought.
New Poster

Re: On Demand commercials

Originally (from my experience) most on demand listings didn't even include ads. Then eventually they included like 2 or 3 commercials that could be fast forwarded. Now days the commercial breaks are often way longer, and can't even be fast forwarded. You might find some programing with only a few ads, but they still can't be fast forwarded.