Community Forum

Netflix over cable count against data usage

Frequent Visitor

Netflix over cable count against data usage

When you watch Netflix using the X1 box, does that count against your data usage? My data usage is unusually high this month and I'm trying to figure out where that might be coming from. I've used Netflix quite a few times over the cable box instead of on my computer, but this makes me wonder if that counts against the monthly data usage.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Netflix over cable count against data usage

It does. Netflix counts as data no matter what device it is used on.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.

Follow-up along a similar lines. Does watching live TV over the web via the XFinity website count as data usage?

Regular Contributor

Interesting.    You notice more data usage as well.   I blamed on the roku & the roku youtube app.    I don't think that the issue after all.  I have another post on here talking about my issue.    Now,  I am almost postive that comcast is misreading the data used if all your devices is connected to the modem/router via wifi.   I think their computer is doubling or trippling the usage.    It seems like everyone data usage is high if they using wifi connection.    I can test really good for one person.   I knew I couldn't use 14GB in 6 hours.   Before anyone says that the previous day was added that why its higher nope--I have tested it out.  I don't really watch that much tv.  I already confirmed 2 GB for a SD Amazon move,  this was via ethernet using Google chrome browser.   Comcast techs need to check and see wifi connection are/is causing a higher data usage when doing the same thing or close to on a computer connected via ethernet. 

Frequent Visitor

I've knoticed if I alone use a roku player through xftinity WiFi I come out between 600 and 760 gigs a month, when the beta first launched I capped at 98% of my total terabyte! By week 3 of 4. When Netflix was added to the cable box we watched 1 season of a 47 min long 24 episode season, this took 2 weeks, I had perviously set up a data alert thanks to the Beta, and was already 80 % of my limit. I checked with a family member who worked as a call service tech support for Xfinity, about the data. He had no clue they never showed any type of testing for it. Figures right?!