Community Forum

Nearly all PBS shows this week missing SD & HD

Admin1

Re: Nearly all PBS shows this week missing SD & HD

ForrestS -- Thank you for providing these pics. They weren't coming in the first time. I've sent this over to our On Demand team to show them what you're seeing. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Thanks Zach - have they given any of you word yet on when they’ll be fixed/available?
Admin1

ForrestS -- We have not received any further word on when these will be fixed or be available. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Problem Solver

Zach - passing on the info to On Demand Support worked its magic. The two long-lost shows from Oct 30/31 got posted. I saw them available as of Friday morning (yesterday). Give a shout-out for me, even though people only have a few days now to view them before they expire.

Several recent threads seem to indicate that greater awareness is needed by many Comcast reps that a show available online is totally different than it being available via non-smart-TV SD and HD menus. A “lesson-learned” from all of this, then.

OK, does this mean I close this thread? Not yet. Even though the new Frontline from Tues 20 Nov is available, 3 new PBS shows from Wed 21 Nov are missing on TV menus as well as Xfinity app online menus:

1) Nature - Dogs in the Land of Lions
2) Nova - World’s Fastest Animal
3) Sinking Cities Ep 4: Miami

Hopefully these 3 missing items can be resolved soon. TTFN...
Admin1

ForrestS -- Thanks for the update and glad to hear that those two shows are available. 

I've sent the newly reported missing shows over to On Demand support. 

Problem Solver

Zach: all of last Wednesday’s PBS shows are now available.

It’s still a mystery as to why only a low % of new PBS shows get posted within 48 hours of airing. Any word from On Demand Team as to why? It is far worse than for other networks, despite the higher recent frequency of missing episodes from them too.

As far as I know, without me and others complaining, these PBS shows would never get posted On Demand. ‘Tain’t right. It’s a bad and worrying sign for Comcast.

Since the PBS Fall Season is largely over (I only see one new program this week that I care about) I will close this thread. If new shows continue to be missing, new thread(s) will have to be written.

Without feedback from On Demand Support as to root cause reasons for these perpetual delays, no good progress or improvements have been achieved in Comcast services. Should we expect more problems and frustrations this coming winter and spring?
Admin1

ForrestS -- The issues are coming from PBS and getting the files published. The files they send seem to be ready for online streaming but have had issues with loading properly for linear On Demand. On Demand support has had to contact PBS to get new files that will publish properly. 

It's been a pain point for sure and it's not just Comcast that this has happened to. PBS provides these same files to other carriers as well, who have also had problems with the files. 

Problem Solver

Zach - thanks for that news about PBS providing files with problems. We’ve been asking for news like that for quite a while. If that info had been supplied to us earlier, we could have called PBS to put heat on them to be more proactive in giving you guys better data from the get-go, avoiding all the back-and-forth delays.

Especially as this is the second huge episode of PBS video files being bad, an earlier month-long struggle occurring months back.

Thanks again for the info. Next time, calls to PBS will be made.
Official Employee

ForrestS - I'm following up for Zach. We certainly appreciate your patience while we worked to get this resolved with the network. Please feel free to reach back out to us for any other questions or concerns. Thank you.