Community Forum

Nearly all PBS shows this week missing SD & HD

Problem Solver

Nearly all PBS shows this week missing SD & HD

I’ve waited several days on this one. I’d prefer that a Comcast staff member who monitors this forum decide what the most effective logistics are for fixing. I don’t think me calling it in to a phone rep will work; it is too much to supply, and would overwhelm the rep.

The following PBS shows are missing from SD and HD On Demand TV viewing menus, and missing via “ Search”. Long list:

Sun 28 Oct: Poldark S4E5, Durrell’s in Corfu S3E5
Mon 29 Oct: Frontline Facebook Dilemma Pt1
Tues 30 Oct: Native America Ep 2, Frontline Facebook Dilemma Pt 2
Wed 31 Oct: NOVA Ghosts of Murdered Kings, Sinking Cities Ep 1 New York

The odd thing is that 2 other shows did post, so it is not an across-the-board failure. These did get posted:
Sun 28 Oct: Woman in White Ep2
Wed 31 Oct: Nature - Super Cats in Every Corner

Can Comcast reps contact the On Demand Support team to see what’s going on? (Or not going on, as the case may be.)
Problem Solver

Re: Nearly all PBS shows this week missing SD & HD

This repeating issue is extremely maddening!

On Demand Support Team - serve your customers, find a solution!

Official Employee

Hi, ForrestS and Bulkington. We upload content provided to us by the network themselves. Sometimes the content takes longer to be uploaded to the on demand platform after being aired than it does in other instances. It is likely in process of taking place as we speak. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Please check back in a few more days to see if anything has changed with that network's on demand availability. Thank you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

ComcastMorgan wrote: “It is likely in process of taking place as we speak.”

Based on recent experiences, this is not an assumption that can be made with any degree of confidence. Experience suggests that tickets to the On Demand Support Team should be written to provide better chances of quicker availability.

Tickets are what, in recent weeks, got missing episodes of PBS’ POV series posted quickly after having been missing...in one case for a full 2 weeks.
Official Employee

Yes - we can get our on demand team involved, but that is generally only going to be an option if the content is still missing after 72+ hours of the content airing. I will look into and verify the episodes you sent earlier and will let you know what can be done here soon. Thank you.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Concerning PBS shows from Sun 28 Oct: Poldark S4E5, Durrell’s in Corfu S3E5.  As of today, it has been almost 96 hours since air date,  and they are still not available OnDemand.  These two programs have a 2-week expiration date (and will expire, if made available) on November 10. Please create a 'ticket' now to resolve this issue.

Contributor

It has now been 1 week since PBS Poldark Episode 5 and Durrell's of Corfu Episode 5, aired on Sunday, October 28 (well past the 72 hour mark). These episodes are still not available OnDemand.  Has a ticket been created to look into this?  

Contributor

I would also love to know what's going on with this. I want to watch last week's episode of Poldark before the new episode airs tomorrow! This is ridiculous.

Official Employee

Poldark Season 4 Episode 5 airs tonight, you're welcome to set a recording up for it. I was able to confirm that Durrell's in Corfu is missing Season 3 Episodes 1-5 and that Sinking Cities is missing Episode 1. We will let you know what can be done about these as soon as we have more information. 

Problem Solver

Morgan: Here is an updated list of missing PBS episodes; the only ones from the earlier list that eventually got posted were the two Frontline episodes -

1) Sun 28 Oct: Durrell’s in Corfu S3E5 (expires this Saturday)
2) Sun 28 Oct: Poldark S4E5 (expires this Saturday)
3) Tue 30 Oct: Native America Ep 2
4) Wed 31 Oct: NOVA - Ghosts of Murdered Kings
5) Wed 31 Oct: Sinking Cities Ep 1 - New York
6) Sun 04 Nov: Woman in White Ep 3
7) Sun 04 Nov: Durrells in Corfu S3E6
8) Sun 04 Nov: Poldark S4E6

Yes, items 6 thru 8 only aired yesterday, but they’ve frequently been available by Monday morning in the past, so it isn’t yet clear if these aren’t also a problem.

No tickets to On Demand have been submitted by user phone calls, as far as I know. I said initially that the problem was too large to attempt to solve that way, so I didn’t phone any of this in.
Problem Solver

Wednesday morning 9 AM Eastern Time, no sign yet of the eight missing episodes. Worrisome situation.

So I called PBS National. I was told I was the 373rd caller expressing concern over missing PBS material from Comcast On Demand. I pressed for more info...

...PBS rep keeps saying that they’ve made all these programs available “through the tower”. I asked what that meant, the rep wasn’t more specific. I said that it was my impression that Comcast received video *files* from providers like PBS, but their rep makes it sound like Comcast had to read material off of some sort of over-the-air transmission, not sure what the right techie term is.

Is this the root of the problem? In other words, does the On Demand Team get PBS materials in a very different way than they get materials from other networks? And is there some change in PBS technology explaining the many episode absences?
Admin1

ForrestS -- All of our content is delivered by files. We do not get content from over-the-air. Our On Demand support team is working through each episode you reported. As this is a lot of assets, this will take some time to resolve. 

Problem Solver

OK, but for five of the eight missing episodes, Comcast was informed 6 days ago.

Yeah, I don’t think the PBS rep knows enough to speak intelligently. She also said that PBS wasn’t “affiliated” with cable providers. I said that surely PBS has “working relationships” with Comcast. That went nowhere.

Hope y’all fix it soon, it’s hard for us users to understand why only 2 items (Frontline) have been fixed since this was raised 6 days ago.

Thanks for any other clarifications you can provide, ESPECIALLY if it is “technical ammo” we can cite to a PBS reps, if in fact the problems are mostly or fully on their end. We users are the ones with stakes in this matter, if we can help provide effective pressure on PBS, please let us know what that would be.
Admin1

ForrestS -- Thank you for your efforts to get these episodes corrected. 6 days may seem like a long time but these things can take longer depending on what the issue is. There isn't a set time frame for episodes to be corrected upon them being reported due to the various reasons why they're missing or if something is wrong with them. 

We appreciate your patience while we work with the content holder to get all reported content corrected. 

New Poster

Same issue as I am writing this - all shows that aired this past weekend are not available to watch under OnDemand option!! They were always available Monday/Tuesday at the latest for the first 4 Episodes of Durrell’s, Poldark and Woman in White. As of today, Wednesday non are available - this was the same issue last week and I found I had to stay up to date by watching Online on PBS website. Yet I’m paying Comcast monthly for them to be available on my TV screen - most annoying to say the least!!
Admin1

Kimberly17 -- Our On Demand support team is working with PBS to have these assets given to us. As we've explained in these threads, On Demand issues are not necessarily a Comcast caused issue. This has been an ongoing case where we've had issues getting the content from PBS. 

Problem Solver

Poldark has been fixed; that's one... still a long way to go.

Official Employee

We're happy to hear that some are starting to show properly. We're doing our best working with PBS to get this resolved. 

Contributor

Any updates?  I am still waiting to watch Durrells in Corfu Episodes 5 and 6 (from last Sunday and the Sunday before).  Comcast, if you can find and load Poldark Episodes 5 and 6, surely you can do the same for Durrells.  I hope you haven't just given up.  This has not been resolved. 

Regular Contributor

Hello,

Episode 3 of Woman in White, which aired 11/4, is still missing as of today 11/9 6:00 pm.

Official Employee

Good Evening, thank you for keeping us updated. The OnDemand support team is still working on this issue. We are also keeping them updated with any additional programs that are sent to us. -Sean

Contributor

I wish someone would work on finding a solution to these on-going problems with PBS programming. This same thing occurred last summer with Endeavor and The Tunnel. After that fiasco, this shouldn't be happening again.
Official Employee

Rosedale1, the OnDemand content is decided by the networks. When shows are missing we reach out to them for assistance. There can be different factors to why an episode isn't  provided.  For example, another customer we helped informed us of a missing episode and we found that the network wouldn't provide it due to legal issues surrounding the episode. 

Problem Solver

ComcastSeanR: Although I’m sure you are right that there have been cases where Comcast never aired episodes for legal reasons, that has never been the case for newly-aired PBS programs. (Sure, they expire either 2 weeks or 4 weeks after airing.)

Can someone please give us the real specific reason for these lengthy delays of PBS content? May I ask if Comcast mid-or-high level management have been made aware of these extraordinary problems? If the delays are due to inadequate response or technical inabilities by PBS, then PLEASE PLEASE summarize for us in a way that a PBS rep answering a phone can be held accountable and/or be enough to route the call to someone who can speak further to the issue? Lacking this, we users can’t be sure that these delays aren’t Comcast’s fault. PLEASE communicate with us, I for one am willing to make a few calls to the other end if I have the requisite ammo.

As it stands, we still have 5 of the 8 from the last list still missing. Three new shows aired Wed 07 Nov, 2 of them are missing. All told then, we have seven (7) missing PBS episodes. Two Durrell’s in Corfu, one Woman in White, two NOVAs, one Nature, and Native America Ep 2.
Problem Solver

I am now seeing Durrell's in Corfu 5 & 6 - (5 EXPIRES TODAY!)  and Sinking Cities 1 & 2, in the On Demand menu.

Please respond to ForrestS' last post and keep working, still plenty missing.

Contributor

I'm curious. There is obviously something "broken " between the sending and receipt of these files. Rather than play the blame game, have the techies from both sides ever gotten together to discover why this keeps happening and how do we fix it?
Official Employee

I understand this is a frustrating experience, I do apologize. Our teams are still reviewing this matter. As soon as we have an update on status we will reach out and provide. -Andrea

Problem Solver

Let’s review what’s still missing, since we have no reason to believe that there is much corporate memory, given this glacial pace of recovery:

1) Tue 30 Oct: Native America Ep 2
2) Wed 31 Oct: NOVA - Ghosts of Murdered Kings
3) Sun 04 Nov: Woman in White Ep 3
4) Wed 07 Nov: Nature-Super Cats 3: Science and Secrets

Looks like all of last night’s shows are present, why not these four older ones?
Problem Solver

@ForrestS wrote:
Let’s review what’s still missing, since we have no reason to believe that there is much corporate memory, given this glacial pace of recovery:

Looks like all of last night’s shows are present, why not these four older ones?

I do not see last night's Poldark: S4 Ep 7

Contributor

Episode 3 of The Woman in White which aired on 11/4 is still missing. Will it be added before the viewing date expires?
Contributor

Hello again Comcast.  As of Monday night, Poldark: S4 Ep 7 from this past Sunday, is not available OnDemand. Whatever you did to get the previous missing Poldark Episodes 5 and 6, please do again.  I know it is possible, as you have accomplished it in the recent past.  Same problem, different episode.

Admin1

Hello All -- Our On Demand support team is aware of the reported missing episodes. They are working with PBS to have these episodes restored. We appreciate your patience while this is being done. 

New Poster

I watched the first four episodes of Season 4 of Poldark via On Demand, and then the 5th one that would have aired at the end of October never showed up. I have been checking back weekly, and no more episodes have appeared. It sounds like I'm behind by three? -- Ep 5, 6, and 7 from what others on this thread have said. My On Demand menu for Poldark has only been showing those episodes available to purchase, not view.
Official Employee

Hi, we've made the OnDemand support team aware of these episodes. They are working with PBS on this issue. Thank you for your patience. 

Problem Solver

Here was the previous list of missing episodes:

5) Sun 11 Nov: Poldark S4E7

Item 3/4/5 got posted in the last 24 hours or so.

ITEMS 1 AND 2 REMAIN MISSING. Could Comcast please confirm that these two specific items are being worked? Thanks.

Also, last night, they aired episodes 3 and 4 of Native America, but only episode 4 got posted.

Official Employee

ForrestS, thank you for the update. We'll make sure the OnDemand support team is made aware of this. We do know that they're still working with PBS. 

Problem Solver

“Cinnamon Girl” wrote:

“...Poldark via On Demand, and then the 5th one that would have aired at the end of October never showed up.”

This is why we need to complain, even Monday morning, when any of these “2 weeks only On Demand” Sunday shows aren’t posted. In this thread, I waited a few days before reporting. That was clearly non-optimal, but how can we users expect that it can take a week or more to fix these issues? (The same has been true for several reports of missing pay-cable shows over the past few months.)

We had at least one episode of Tunnel S3 missed entirely from the July 2018 problems. And before that, Home Fires Season 2. If the root cause is on PBS’s end, as it seems it is, why don’t they allow exceptions for extended On Demand availability? I forget if PBS gave Comcast an answer on this for past problems.
Official Employee

ForrestS, it's the network that would make the decision on keeping the episodes available. The programming availability, pricing, and broadcast are subject to their discretion.

Problem Solver

I reported these two PBS shows missing on Nov 1st. Fifteen days later, they remain missing:

Tues 30 Oct: Native America Ep 2

Wed 31 Oct: NOVA Ghosts of Murdered Kings

Are they still being “looked into”? Can we get them fixed instead? They’ll expire sometime just after Thanksgiving weekend has ended. GIT ‘ER DONE!

P.S. Two new PBS shows from 2 nights ago are missing as well, but please prioritize on the two long-missing items first.
Problem Solver

Sigh...not at all sure any of this helps...but here’s the latest list of missing PBS episodes. Whatever the root cause problems are, they’ve not been addressed:

1) Tues 30 Oct: Native America Ep 2 - EXPIRES 26 NOV?!

2) Wed 31 Oct: NOVA- Ghosts of Murdered Kings - EXPIRES 27 NOV?!

3) Wed 14 Nov: Nature- A squirrel’s Guide to success

4) Wed 14 Nov: Sinking Cities Ep 3 - London

Priority of utmost urgency, including management support or leverage or even neck-breathing, should be focused on items 1 and 2 esp. due to Thanksgiving Weekend being near.

There will be 3 new dramas tonight (Nov 18), a new Frontline on the 20th, and 3 new episodes (Nature, NOVA, Sinking Cities) on the 21st. Given that omissions are continuing, it seems even odds that we’ll be missing some of these, too.
Problem Solver

Progress is being made; almost done. All three of the Nov 18 shows are posted this morning, just like in the old days. The missing items from Nov 14 are also newly posted this morning. That leaves these two remaining items:

1) Tues 30 Oct: Native America Ep 2 - EXPIRES NOV 26 !

2) Wed 31 Oct: NOVA- Ghosts of Murdered Kings - EXPIRES NOV 27 !

Admin1

ForrestS -- Thank you for confirming you're able to view these episodes. There isn't anything that can be done about the episodes that are set to expire before they expire. Having them renewed will be up to the content holder. 

Problem Solver

I didn’t understand you, Zach. They’ll expire next week, thus you still have time to post them before they’ll expire.

My reporting of these two missing episodes is now 18 days old - you can check the beginning of the thread. A handful of Comcast reps have replied, telling me to be patient. OK, but time is running out soon.
Admin1

ForrestS -- I misunderstood you as well. I checked these episodes and saw them both available. I thought you had seen them too and was only commenting on them expiring next week. 

Since I'm able to see them, and you are not, are you able to post a picture of them not showing up for you? I'll need to have our support team look at this. 

Problem Solver

Good grief, you have them on the Xfinity app. For how long, I fin’t Know. But not SD or HD. Get them ASAP please, we want to use the TV, watch them together as a group.

As for contacting the On Demand team, that would have occurred over 2 weeks ago.
Admin1

ForrestS -- What we're asking for is a picture of what you're seeing that shows the episodes aren't there for you. We're able to see them so we need something showing that you are not for further support. 

Problem Solver

Here are two files showing SD listings for PNS NOVA (3 episodes not 4) and PBS Specials (where you see Native America 1, 3, and 4. But not 2.

Are you guys still looking at the online listings? They’re irrelevant here.
3AC1B679-5C2F-4F9D-9892-1ADF93808DC8.jpeg
8C847DDA-1E3A-440D-886F-E057D4CA40B1.jpeg
Admin1

ForrestS -- We're looking at the actual VOD listings from the box, not the online listings. Can you please provide a picture that shows you're unable to see them? Since we are we need something that shows you are not. 

Problem Solver

?! I just provided you with the pictures in my last post.

All we have is the SD-capable Comcast box, and the TV. I showed you what On Demand puts up. If I showed you the HD listings, it would be the same.
Problem Solver

And here’s the 2nd SD page for PBS Specials, Native America E2 is not here either. Same thing for HD.
1629E3E3-E9CA-47FA-89E9-82B260E4731D.jpeg