Community Forum

I have to pay for network shows now?

Regular Visitor

I have to pay for network shows now?

I wanted to catch up on a new show I've missed (the rookie). BUT IT'S NOT FREE
I pay almost $200 a month for cable and internet AND YOU ARE CHARGING ME FOR A NETWORK SHOW?

Not that it matters, as usual on-demand isn't working.

Disgusted and looking for other options...
Silver Problem Solver

Re: I have to pay for network shows now?

It's not just a Comcast thing. Most shows may only be free for a few weeks, then older episodes disappear or turn into rental/buy.

Expert

@dmenard13

In addition to what andyross said, Comcast isn't the one charging; that would be the network that is charging to watch.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Yea If you Have hbo go look at get smart tv show.  Iit was made back in 1962-1966 and hbo is charging 2.98 an episode.  I cancelled my my hbo .  Hbo is charging for a almost 50 year old tv show and one they did not produce nor do they pay the actors/actoress or any royalities of any kind.  We thank the US congress for these laws that allow this to happen..  Hbo wasnt even an company back when this show was produced !!

Expert

@JMy1 wrote:

Yea If you Have hbo go look at get smart tv show.  Iit was made back in 1962-1966 and hbo is charging 2.98 an episode.  I cancelled my my hbo .  Hbo is charging for a almost 50 year old tv show and one they did not produce nor do they pay the actors/actoress or any royalities of any kind.  We thank the US congress for these laws that allow this to happen..  Hbo wasnt even an company back when this show was produced !!

The part about this show, and others being old is true. However; some campanies have gone through great cost to recover this older shows that have been in unplayable condition for years. This is how they recover their cost to give us access to these shows now.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

If you own the copyright on a show, you can charge whatever you want to recover your costs and make a profit. It's business...

Problem Solver

I call foul on the deleted posts. All civil, and to the original poster’s specific point. Would different administrator(s) reviewing those posts please send me a private message so that we can discuss. Thank you.
Regular Visitor

Great costs ?  The complete series dvd is on ebay for $39.95 with free delivery !   What great cost are you talking about.  And exactly how does hbo spend a lot of money recovering another networks content ?  Is hbo paying the actress's and actors any royalities ?  The producers ? 

New Poster

Me too.  I fell asleep during American Horror Story last week.  I've got an insane work schedule sometimes. I went to watch it in On Demand later, like I usually do, and was asked to pay a rental fee.  Nope, I won't.  That put me totally off FX and I'm done with that show, and that was the last straw. They have now put me totally off cable, too. I waited nearly a week for Grey's to put up the most recent episode that I likewise fell asleep and missed.  I suppose rental fees are next for that.  There's only a couple of shows I watch anyway and I refuse to pay cable fees and then rental fees as well. I won't pay a high cost for cable if I can't watch when it's convenient for me.  I pay too much for programming I don't watch to be asked to pay extra for those that I do.  Done with it.  I'm cancelling and putting in other services that suit my entertainment needs.

Problem Solver

dmenard13: suffice to say that your original specific complaint is now fixed: Rookie Ep 2 is now available as free; Rookie Ep 3 was delayed but eventually got posted. Your chosen thread title, however, led to a interesting chain of events.

Middle-of-chain posters: Looks like you responded to the thread title. Perhaps all true for some material, but not ABC Network per dmenard13’s complaint. Seems to me that any ABC prime time show is available for past 5 episodes, minimum.

Marcy1010: unfortunately for us all, it was an uncharacteristically bad week for ABC On Demand. Missing or greatly-delayed ABC episodes are fairly rare. As for the FX show, I wonder if that was yet another case of the initial episode file not being properly replaced by one with less commercials in time. That’s a very common problem that frequently affects On Demand offerings across multiple networks. It deserves a separate thread for comments and suggestions by numerous users and Comcast staff.