Community Forum

Fox Family Guy OnDemand video squashed vertically

Contributor

Fox Family Guy OnDemand video squashed vertically

I don’t watch much OnDemand, but since the football game caused my scheduled recordings to be truncated (new feature request: record shows on time even if the time is slipped) I tried to watch last night’s episode this morning.  The video was squashed vertically.  The top third and bottom third of the screen is black and the video is resized to fit into the center third of the screen.  This also makes the video have jagged artifacts and generally looks to be very poor quality.  I have the XG1v4-A 4k box.  Is this normal for OnDemand shows to have reduced quality?

Expert

Re: Fox Family Guy OnDemand video squashed vertically

@rhagen wrote:

I don’t watch much OnDemand, but since the football game caused my scheduled recordings to be truncated (new feature request: record shows on time even if the time is slipped) I tried to watch last night’s episode this morning.  The video was squashed vertically.  The top third and bottom third of the screen is black and the video is resized to fit into the center third of the screen.  This also makes the video have jagged artifacts and generally looks to be very poor quality.  I have the XG1v4-A 4k box.  Is this normal for OnDemand shows to have reduced quality?

I sounds to me like you watched a SD (4:3) copy of the program. Not a HD copy (16:9).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

The episode list shows the TV-14 HD Icon.  Its the newest episode as it just aired on Fox last night.

I also pulled up the last nights episode of The Simpsons, and it too was resized vertically.  Horizontally it was not resized so everything/everyone is distored, short and fat looking.

Expert

@rhagen wrote:

The episode list shows the TV-14 HD Icon.  Its the newest episode as it just aired on Fox last night.

I also pulled up the last nights episode of The Simpsons, and it too was resized vertically.  Horizontally it was not resized so everything/everyone is distored, short and fat looking.

If you have a 4k DVR, why are you watching channel 14? HD channels are in the 700 or 800 series depending on area.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

My Bad.  I should not have included the TV rating “TV-14” which is right alongside the “HD” icon.  I don’t know why I did that…wasn’t thinking.  I meant to indicate the channel was 1040 FOXHD.

Contributor

Just to be clear, when I watch FOXHD channel 1040 live or recorded the video is fine.  It’s only when I watch FOXHD OnDemand that the video is squashed vertically.  At least Family Guy and Simpsons, I have not tried anything else.

Contributor

Most of my On Demand is exactly like that. I have black bars on top and bottom even though whatever I want to watch On Demand shows it's in HD. HD doesn't letterbox and talking to Comcast in Mumbai is useless. Comcast has done something to On Demand and HD in general. Basically if I'm unable to actually watch something when it airs, I have given up On Demand. I have talked and chatted with Comcast and my TV NEVER letterboxed before they reflashed my box last month. I'm beginning to think that possibly there is two levels of HD OR Comcast doesn't have the bandwidth to broadcast On Demand in HD. Come on Comcast, how many people do you think are going to put up with this? My uncle has a different cable company in a different state and he is getting 4K UHD on many movies. To me it seems Comcast cant even master 1080P HD. I pay WAY TOO much for inferior service. BTW: This all started when they reflashed my cable box last month, I never had letterboxing EVER in the past. Big hint: 8K is coming and Comcast messed up regular 16:9 HD. The HD channels broadcast in HD but say I wanted to watch last nights "Vikings" On Demand, it would say HD but have black bars on top and bottom. This is unacceptable and not worth $2000 a year. My box is a XG2 and was replaced a couple of weeks ago at a Xfinity store. The people there were clueless or lying. Less and less is in HD and yet the prices keep going up. I have had Comcast at this location for 24 years and overall 35 years since I was 18 when AT&T bought my local cable company. In 35 years I haven't had one late payment. This is not how you treat loyal customers. My cable bill in 1984? $17. That included HBO, Showtime and Cimemax. It wasn't HD but it worked. Fast internet is cool but when I get home from work I would like to watch a movie. I don't need black bars on top and bottom of that movie. Fix this or admit that you are broadcasting On Demand in SD even though it says HD.
Expert

I saw a similar problem the last two mornings on my Cisco RNG 150N (HD cable-box. My last channel watched last night was: Channel 809 (HD channel for FOX network). It was fine.

After turning on the box and television this morning channel 809 was fine. I just used the channel button to switch to channel 805 (HD channel for ABC). Instead of being in HD the picture had the vertical bars for a 420p picture. Somehow; the box switched to the lowest number channel for (ABC) which is channel 5 (SD channel for ABC). The picture is as both of you described.

I then selected the HD channel for ABC by typing in: 805 and got the correct HD channel and picture. I am going to pull the plug to reset my cable-box to see if the problem has been corrected yet.  The problem here might be related to your's watching ON DEMAND.

Expert

I just tested "On Demand" (linear cable) for another forum member's different problem.

I just chose a "Grey's Anatomy" HD video from the list from a few weeks earlier. The HD copy was in fact only a SD  (420p) copy which looks the same as you described on my UHD television.

Contributor

My experience was not that it had vertical bars but rather that it had horizontal bars top and bottom causing the video to be distorted to where the characters were short and fat.  It would be bad enough if instead of HD quality it was only SD quality but being distorted made it completely unwatchable for me.

I got an email from the forum asking me to “mark one as an Accepted Solution”.  I wouldn’t consider any of the reply’s a ‘Solution’ but in this case, perhaps one is not forthcoming.  I’m just going to do as gibcorp has resolved to do, that is “..if I'm unable to actually watch something when it airs, I have given up On Demand.”  It’s a shame as I too spend well over $2,500 a year to Comcast.

Contributor

It is pretty much On Demand and it applies to shows such as "Vikings". I get the fact that many movies were shot in 2.35:1 format but we are talking television shows that air in 16.9:1 but then when you try and watch then On Demand, letterboxing. I have options on my TV to "fit" these shows to my screen BUT they don't look right. My peeve is I never had this issue before Comcast "reflashed" my XG2 box, I called and complained, I was told a "secret" code to enter on my remote ( it made the box 1080i - that was not helpful ), the telephone CS rep said that after I did that he was unable to get a signal from my box and it was broken, I told him I live 3 miles away from a Xfinity store and exchanged it. I had EXACTLY the same problem with the new box. Plus the CS people at the store are not exactly helpful nor knowledgeable. They are nice but lack any technical knowledge and a common phrase heard there is "That's weird, I have never heard of anything like that". OK, if it's so weird then why are there 50 people here at 9:01 AM on New Years Eve say EXACTLY the same thing and didn't the CS guy 10 feet away just say EXACTLY the same thing to the people who came in right behind me? ( I actually held the door open for them) This all seems like a ploy to get me to pony up more of my money to rent a DVR box and DVR shows I am not home to watch. That's a ploy I don't care for. I'm sorry but there's nickel and diming and then there's just outright we'll raise some of our "fees" to unacceptable levels. $10 to convert broadcast TV to cable? Doesn't Comcast OWN NBC? Wasn't that a charge that didn't exist 4 or 5 years ago, then was a $1.50 then it just kept going up and up? The same for the the Regional Sports fee. These rates have gone up so fast and are different depending on the market you are in that even Google cant keep up with them. In the Chicago suburbs its $10 for TV and $8.50 for sports. That's $18.50 a month in whats called on the internet "cable junk fees". To me it is kind of like "resort fees" when traveling. Look two months ago Comcast was able to show everything converted properly on a 60" 1080P 16:9 TV and now after the "reflash" I have black bars all over the place which I don't like. How hard would it be to reflash my cable box back to where it was? I don't want to see black bars and I don't want to see distorted pictures especially on a On Demand TV show. I get most movies are shot in 2.39 : 1 BUT when I watched "Wonder Woman" a year ago it was scaled fine to fit on my 16:9 TV. With the reflashing of my box I have letterboxing. That I don't care that much about but when the XG2 box doesn't even recognize my Samsung TV (N/A Undetected). When I asked the CS rep at the Xfinity store about this, guess what he said? "That's weird, I have never heard of anything like that". Does anyone who works at Comcast have any answers to this? OR...... Is this going to be one of those threads that gets marked "Accepted Solution” and archived? If Comcast fixed what could be a box/TV handshake issue that would be an "Accepted Solution". I think a COMCAST EMPLOYEE needs to address some of these simple issues, I don't need to know the secrets of X1 but for 2K a year I really don't need issues that can probably be fixed easily by someone who has technical knowledge and knew what was going on.
Highlighted
Contributor

BTW: I insert paragraph breaks but when I post it comes up as one long rant. I probably should preview my posts but this whole thing is wasting a bunch of my time. RICH TEXT is the answer.

Hi,

I pay your company a lot of money for cable TV and internet. Over many years I have had issues with both but they were eventually fixed.  I want to buy another much more expensive TV but if it wont work on your system I wont. Can you please fix the problem with my simple 1080P HD TV first before I spend silly money on a Sony 4K TV please.

Thanks

Contributor

"I got an email from the forum asking me to “mark one as an Accepted Solution”.  I wouldn’t consider any of the reply’s a ‘Solution’ but in this case, perhaps one is not forthcoming.  I’m just going to do as gibcorp has resolved to do, that is “..if I'm unable to actually watch something when it airs, I have given up On Demand.”  It’s a shame as I too spend well over $2,500 a year to Comcast.

There seems to be no " accepted solution" except to take it until I jump ship. It's actually funny, They had a free preview for "EPIX" but when I went to watch the "Deathwish" reboot On Demand it was in SD. Thats not exactly going to get me to subscribe to extra movie channels or services. My take on this is that my area has been switched over to SD for most things ( On Demand, one premium movie channel out of ten) when before for example everything pretty much was in HD. There are various posts on this exact same thing happening in various markets over time. I guess it's my markets time. There are many posts on this but I have wasted enough time on this as it is. I am going to look into a few different options but basically Xfinity is going to end up losing a 35 year loyal customer.

It's funny how they show the AT&T comparison commercial to death about bandwidth and internet speeds. AT&T should come back with "our internet does stink BUT we have quite a bit of programming that is in HD. So what do want? Blazing internet or DECENT television in HD? I'll take the HD television, thats what people use in my house. I find the Pinocchio characters nose to be disturbing. I'm suprised somebody doesnt say "Get away from with that thing". I'm done with this, Comcast or Xfinity obviously has put more of their bandwidth towards the internet. It's like they want people to cut the cord because they lack the bandwidth for simple HD television.

New Poster

This seems to happen at random for me. This week the current SNL episode (S44 E13) has the exact same problem. Yet the previous two episodes look fine. I find it unwatchable.