Community Forum

ACORN TV

Regular Visitor

ACORN TV

I subscribe to Acorn TV via xfinity TV.  I notice that at Acorn's  listings on their site,  all 5 seasons of "Pie in the Sky" are on their schedule.  Yet at "xfinity On Demand" only Seasons 1, 2 and 5 are listed,  why do you have lesser content?   Also, the first 2 episodes of Season 1 are missing from xfinity.  Again, why?  If I am paying for Acorn thru xfinity shouldn't I receive the same programs?

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: ACORN TV

I am mildly surprised that no one from Comcast has replied to you.  I’m just another customer generally interested.  Here’s some past history on missing shows from premium channels like HBO or STARZ:

GOOD:  Every time someone has complained, missing premium channel show episodes have been restored.  This suggests you are supposed to have everything available.  In a similar situation for HBO their rep confirmed to me that they do not prohibit Comcast from making all episodes available.  One would think the same is true of Acorn TV premium channel shows.

BAD:  But past history is that it takes roughly 7 to 14 days to see premium episodes restored.  We’ve asked Comcast if the problems are related to expired licensing agreements, but no feedback has ever been offered.

BAD:  Past history reveals that missing episodes are tied to expiration dates.  Of course, non-premium channel show episodes typically do expire per each network’s retention policy.  But Comcast’s On-Demand implementation keeps expiration date as a relevant piece of metadata, even for premium channel shows.  Functionally, these show episodes should never expire, but it would seem a possibility that they “expire” as a mechanism to allow immediate replacement with different (new) promo materials.   Comcast has never confirmed this as a potential reason for expiration and removal.   Another possibility being that the expiration is a licensing agreement end date that has not been renegotiated and reworked in time.  We don’t know, we never get answers.

Well, once someone recognizes the Acorn problems you’ve identified, hopefully they’ll be fixed within 2 weeks.  (Par for the course, historically, anyway.)  Hope this helped.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the reply and information.  I had a "Live Chat" on January 8th, however the rep couldn't give me a definitive answer to my issue.  Therefore, the rep is forwarding my complaint to the "dedicated team" and they should respond in 24 to 48 hours.  Hopefully they can explain why Xfinity's  Acorn TV content isn't the same as what is shown on Acorn's own site.  The content should be exactly the same since I am paying Xfinity for the service.

Regular Visitor

As previously posted and base on a live chat with xfinity ... someone from Comcast was supposed to contact me with 24 - 48 hours.   Three days (72 hours) have passed and as I feared,  there has been no contact from Comcast.

Regular Visitor

I, too, had problems with missing seasons and episodes on Acorn TV subscribed to through comcast. I "chatted" with a representative who referred me to someone else. I was given a credit to be used to purchase the seasons/episodes that I couldn't get free with my subscription. I told them I would accept the credit, but use it toward my bill. Since I'm subscribed to Acorn TV through Comcast, I should not have to purchase the missing episodes that are on Acorn. The rep could give me no satisfactory answer as to why missing seasons/episodes occur. Apparently AMC took over Acorn TV (previously owned by RLJ Entertainment). Here's a link to an article about this: https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/amc-networks-inc-completes-acquisition-of-rlj-entertainmen...

New Poster

I have had the same problems with Acorn/Comcast. Whole seasons are missing - episodes . . . it's so bad now that all of the new shows that are announced (via emails I received from Acorn) - never show up on my schedule.

The latest email from Acorn received yesterday shows four new shows and one movie new to the Acorn schedule - NONE of them show up on my TV/Acorn schedule via Comcast. Letters to Acorn were a joke. I talked with someone at Acorn - a very nice lady - and she pretty much blamed Comcast.

What is the deal? What horrible customer service!

And Comcast? I've called about four times - and each time Comcast blames Acorn (two of the reps never heard of Acorn!).