Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

xr2 remote not working

New Poster

xr2 remote not working

My XR2 remote for my dta box is not responding. The all power light(red)stays on and remote does not respond to any commands.I have replaced the batteries. Will function for a short time and red light will come on again. Any info tp resolve this problem.  Thanks in advance    Frustated!

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: xr2 remote not working

tiberius1 wrote:

My XR2 remote for my dta box is not responding. The all power light(red)stays on and remote does not respond to any commands.I have replaced the batteries. Will function for a short time and red light will come on again. Any info tp resolve this problem.  Thanks in advance    Frustated!

Go to a comcast store and have it replaced

Expert

tiberius1 wrote:

Swapping out  a Remote is "free" and can be done at any Service Center.  Locations for Service Centers can be found using this link:  http://customer.xfinity.com/service-center-locations

New Poster

I had the exact same experience today pairing the XR2 with my Phillips TV.  Programming  XR2 with 11314 (and several other codes listed for Phillips at www.xfinity.com/support/remotes) turned TV on/off, but after using the volume up several times, XR2 power light stayed on red, and then the only way out is to remove the batteries.  Went back to the store.  Same result after trying 2 other XR2's at the store.  Store tech had no answer for the problem.  Could this be a design flaw?   That is, do some valid codes (3 green blinks) make the XR2 freeze up? 

New Poster

I'm having the exact same problem with my Phillips TV.

New Poster

I am having the same issue with my Philips TV. On my second new remote. Tech support of no use.
Official Employee

Hello all, I can assist you with getting your remote working with your television. Please click on the link provided https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes/  and this will help you pair your remote to your Philips TV. 

New Poster

I had the same problem with Xfinity's new (?) XR2 remotes when we had to swap a bad cable box on August 9, 2017.  The first remote started out fine but then jammed or hung up after after just a little use.  It worked long enough for me to "pair" our Philips TV (32PFL3403D) and re-enter our favorites, but then the All On button froze and stayed red when when I tried to turn things off.  Taking out  the batteries did reset  the remote, but not for very long.  The same thing would happen when when changing channels or pressing All On.  Since we live just two miles from the Comcast office, I went back and got another XR2, but the same thing happened again.  It wasn't the cable box's fault because our old Xfinity remote from downstairs could made it work just fine, except for the TV.

The next day  I was more suspicious on the third try.

1) Before tryuinbg to enter any TV codes, I made sure the remote could control the cable box alone by powering on, changing channels, etc., and powering off, and then repeating continuously over 30 minutes. So far, so good. 

2) Then I "paired" the remote to our Philips TV and tested it again for another 30 minutes.  A-OK (so far).  

Maybe it was just my "luck" that I got two bad remote controls in a row.  The Xfinity people said they don't recalal many any complaints. However, some people standing in line behind me were murmuring (not very softely) that they've had remote problems too. So, as the third time really a charm?  

3) Maybe not, because I also did one thing other different.  Rather than enter 11484 as Xfinity suggests for Philips TVs, I looked up and used our old code  instead -- 10054.  Which leaves the design flaw question open -- do some TV codes "jam" the XR2 remotes after just a little bit of use?

New Poster

I have also had this issue with my Philips TV. It has nothing to do with the remote. I have replace the remote and the new one does the same thing. It seems to jam and keep the red light on when I push the volume up. The only solution is to remove the batteries and have them back in. The problem is I rent the place for short-term rentals and they eat through batteries every visit.

New Poster

Same issue with my Philips tv.

New Poster

Had the same problem.  Swapped remotes.  Still have the same problem.  This is a problem.  

New Poster

As other users have stated, the remote can be paired with a Philips TV (this is not the issue). However, when pressing the volume up button multiple times (I did 5) the remote 'jams', resulting in the power button staying lit red. Removing batteries temporarily resolves issue, but, the remote jams again when pushing volume up. This seems to be a common problem with the XR2 remotes. Will there be a fix??

New Poster

I went to the Xfinity remote site.  Not Working.  Stuck.  My remote will not change channels.  On, Off & All Power function.  Volume and Mute work but NOT Chanel Up or Down.  

Contributor

There is a Problem with the Xr2 remotes and Phillips/Magnavox Tvs. Other posts have confirmed this. Even on Reddit.  I have Magnavox Tv's. Same maker as Phillips. The remotes freeze up when adjusting the volume. All other functions work. No one at comcast knows an answer. Nothing from Magnavox either. Only suggestion I have had from my service center is get a universal remote.

New Poster

yah, no.  above, an official employee of comcast provided a link to correct issues associated wtih this topic.  however, the official comcast employee responded as though we are all trying to figure out how to program a remote.  frustrating that h/she didn't read our posts.  rather it seems like -- just with most Customer Service ppl -- as soon as a keyword or two is read or heard, a quick jump to a standard response given while never understanding the issue.  don't want to be rude to CSRs or others, but; for the love of God, turn your brain to the "On" position.

New Poster

i have had considerable luck by following the article listed below in via a link.  The best way to do this is by (standard procedure to program the XR2).  rather than using aq tv code; use 9-9-1, then after you get the two green bliniks, just start pressing channel up, up, up, up, up, up, etc. etc., once the phillips turns off, then you know it is programed properly.  

in the usual (not the above) process, it is frequently thought to be programmed as soon as it is possible to use the 5 digit code, and it turns the tv off.  appartently, this is not proper.  tv will responde to multiple codes in this way.  it is not possible to know via the comcast method if the remote is actually CORRECTLY programmed, since the tv will go off by using several phillips codes.  Use the 991 channel up method.

New Poster

Xr2 remote. Red light stays on and remote doesn’t work 

New Poster

Same problem exactly.  The up volume control hangs the remote every time.  I've tried the factory reset, reprogramming, but nothing works.  The old box and remote worked fine. Thanks Comcast for breaking my TV.

New Poster

Having same problem with xr2 remote paired w/ Phillips TV. Wondering if the unique IR LED flash pattern dictated by the Phillips codes temporarily drops the operating voltage low enough to “trick” the remote into thinking it’s in a low battery situation and forcing it into lockdown mode??? Pretty sure after reading all the posts that this is a hardware issue with this remote and is not fixable until Comcast comes out with an updated version of this remote where they fix the issue (higher efficiency ir emitters or and a capacitor or two to even out the power drop caused by the rapid ir emitter flashing). Going to try a few different battery make/models/types, but not overly hopeful.
New Poster

I have had a lot of problems with my XR2 remote. It works on my TV but not the box. I have to keep resetting it. I dont know if the remote is bad or cable box is bad. Either way I will likely have to drive to the center to swap them out.