Community Forum

xfinity remote does not work with Cisco RNG150 box

New Poster

xfinity remote does not work with Cisco RNG150 box

I'm a comcast customer for 2 days now. The tech that installed my services forgot to leave me a remote for my box. I called the 1800 number and was told to pick one up at the local office, so I got out of work early and picked it up.

Got home and was able to program the remote to work with my Samsung TV, so the TV button works with it's functions. I can't get the Cable button to work at all, the box doesn't communicate with it, I can't change channels, go to ondemand, look at the guide....nothing works.

I was given the following codes to program the remote with the box:

None of these worked. Here's how I tried it:

Press the Cable Button

Hold the Setup button until it blinks twice

Input the code

Wait for blinking

Press power

I've been trying this for over an hour now, and 2 calls and 1 live chat with customer service hasn't helped. So...I've had xfinity cable for 2 days, and no controller for 2 days...frustrating. The box doesn't have any buttons to change channels manually, so it's pretty much useless.

Can anyone help me?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: xfinity remote does not work with Cisco RNG150 box

Below is a link to the remotes Comcast uses. It also has links to manuals since you may not have one of them. It shows how to search for a code in the manual. Also has other codes you could try. Hope it is helpful.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/HelpNFC.aspx?print=false&id=remotes

New Poster

Hi, RevBoost -

Did you get this issue resolved?  I am having same problem.  The really weird thing I just noticed is that the Cisco RNG150 cable box only ignores the remote if the Samsung LED TV is powered on.  When the TV is powered off, the cable box does respond to the remote control commands.  I have two other Samsung LED TV's hooked up to the same kind of box, but neither of those is giving me a problem.  Very strange.  I've been advised by Comcast tech support to exchange the box for a replacement, but I have a suspicion that I may run into the same problem, 

Any help would be appreciated,'

Silver Problem Solver

hopkinsbill

Sometimes the remotes get confused by the tv screen lights. The Samsung should have an energy saving mode that reduces the screen brightness. Also CFLs in a room can mess with the remote signal.

If possible move the box a little furhter away (lower or to one side) from your tv also so that the remote can be pointed away from the tv a little and see what happens.

Just a couple of ideas.

New Poster

A possible fix when your Remote Control does not work with the RNG150N...

With all of the things I had to do and all of the hours I spent on the phone on live chat and visiting my local Comcast Service Center. I am sure we can all agree that Comcast should be paying us instead of us paying them. LOL

Don't Do This First... I tried programming my remote using all of the codes I could find but nothing worked. If you have already tried this then you know what I am talking about. If you haven't tried this yet DON'T waist your valuable time.

Please read through all of the information below first so that you understand what you will need to do before you actually get started. This is very helpful and will lessen the chance for making mistakes.

What you need to do First is to call in or get on a live chat (I recommend live chat, it is usually quicker).

1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278). or https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry/ for chat. On the chat page choose; Trouble, Cable TV, Other and when the next page comes up click on the Red "CHAT WITH LIVE AGENT" button.

Put in your name, account information, etc... And then brief them about your problem.

Once you are on with an agent and before they start aking you a million questions, you should ask them to send a signal (reset) to your cable box. Let them know this has worked for others and that you want to try this first.

*** THE SIGNAL TO YOUR CABLE BOX IS THE FIX *** at least it was for me.

(However, your still not done. --Keep Reading--)

Before they send the signal, they will need the serial number off of the back of your cable box.

The serial number is located at the back or underneath the box itself. It usually starts with letter M, P or G.

When they send the signal to your cable box, you will notice on your television that your cable signal is interupted and your cable box power light will go from blue to white and then off.

I was then instructed to turn on the cable box using the power button on the cable box itself.

I then reprogramed the remote using the codes and instructions that I will provide below as they were told to me. FYI... the code that worked for me was 01376. I am including many more that I came accross just in case your situation is different than mine.

First, UNLOCK THE REMOTE... 1. Hold the SETUP button until the indicator light blinks two times. 2. Enter 9 - 8 - 2. The indicator light will blink four times. (If it only blinks 2 times then that means it was already unlocked and you just locked it and you will need to repeat the steps again to unlock it.)

Next, PROGRAM THE REMOTE... 1. Turn on the set top box (regular box, HD Box, or HDDVR). Note: Please read steps 2 to 5 completely before proceeding. 2. On the remote control, press Cable key once. 3. Press and hold Setup until the selected mode key blinks twice, then release Setup. 4. Enter the first five-digit code for your device. Motorola - 01376, 00476, 00810, 00276, 01187, 01254, 00003. If you perform this procedure correctly, the selected mode key will blink twice. Note: If you enter an invalid code, the selected mode key will display one long blink and exit the programming mode. Repeat steps 2 to 4 with a valid code. 5. Aim the remote control at your device and press Power once. The device should turn off. If it does not respond, repeat steps 2 to 4, trying each code listed for your brand until you find one that works. Note: If the device does not have a Power key, press the (Play) key.

Well that's what worked for me and I hope it works for you as well.

Ps. Comcast should have a more robust database to help assit their customers with these problems or have better trained agents. I am a dreamer, aren't I? ;-)  However, when dealing with Comcast, I will always use the Live Chat feature as they seem to be the easiest to reach and I personally have had the best success.

Good luck to you all. Namasté

New Poster

There are two different remotes available from Comcast. When I brought my 2nd Cisco RNG 150 home, the supplied remote would not work. However, the remote I had for my 1st Cisco box would work on the 2nd box. That didn't make sense so I compared the 2 remotes. The buttons are the same but the layout isn't. The remote that does NOT work has a silver color top with black lettering, The remote that DOES work has a dark gray top with white lettering. 

So I took the silver remote back to Comcast and the girl told me I had been given the WRONG remote for the Cisco box. She gave me the gray remote and I have not had a problem since. 

I think the older boxes were Motorolas which have been phased out for the Cisco RNG 150. So, before going through the programming  shown, try my solution. It's a heck of a lot easier if that is the problem.

Worked for me................Good Luck

Diamond Problem Solver

All the RNG's need the platnium remotes, the silver remotes only work on the DCT's and DCH's.

The DCX3400's will work with both remotes right now, but it is not guaranteed that it will stay that way.   The DCX's should come with a platnium remote.

New Poster

Is the DCX3400 replacing the RNG? 

Diamond Problem Solver

The DCX3200 and 3400 came out in 2008.  Just in the last few months the Comcast branded RNG200N is actually a Motorola DCX3501 has been started to be deployed in some markets.

The Pace RNG110 came out around later 2008 also for Motorola systems.

The Cisco RNG's are getting to be a few years old already for Scientific Atlanta / Cisco area's but considered up to date and do MPEG4.

Technically the RNG's and DCX's are all the newer digital boxes that also do MPEG4 and have enough horsepower for advanced features that will be coming out in the future.  RNG's and DCX's would be considered interchangeable feature wise, depending on the software running on the box.

A DCX3400 would be considered a RNG even though it's not labeled as such.

Comcast spec'd the RNG specifications in 2007 to have a standard feature platform for the future including all digital 1Ghz tuners, OCAP. 

RNG stands for Residential Network Gateway.

New Poster

I have run into the same problem and after the second representative, I found that 01982 worked.

All codes for Cisco RNG-150:

01982 <~~~ This one worked for me.

New Poster

I fixed this issue a long time ago. Bottom line is, the controller I was given was the wrong one, if you're having that problem you should call them and ask for the darker controller. 

Regular Visitor

JBT1944 is correct, I had the exact problem yesterday, the platinum light silver remote does not work, the darker remote that looks just like it,  does work fine. Also I found that the little black remote that you use on the mini box for tvs that dont have the main cable box,  does change the channels on the RNG box. They gave me the wrong remote as well. They should have part numbers on those things.

New Poster

Try using code: 01982. This is the code that makes the remote connect with the Cisco cable box.

New Poster

hopinsbill

Did you get this resolved? i am having the same problem where the box responds when the TV is off. Confirmed that I have the correct remote.

Regular Visitor

thanks 

New Poster

Hopefully this perspective helps someone....

I was having a similar issue.  I tried with several remotes and they would sometimes work for a few minutes but mostly they would not work at all with my RNG150N STB.  The remotes worked on my other STBs so I knew the remotes were not the problem.  

The problematic RNG150N was hooked up at the same spot as my cable modem and router.  I decided to move the cable modem and router to another part of the house away from this STB and now my problematic RNG150N is working fine.

In my case there was some kind of interference messing with the box or the IR signal.  This happened to me on two RNG150Ns so I think it's more of a widespread issue with the box design.  Both STBs worked fine when moved away from the cable modem and router.

Good Luck!

New Poster

Thanks 01982 worked for me after exhausting all other methods.

New Poster

01982 IS THE RIGHT CODE for RNG150N!  THANKS!!!!

New Poster

Remote programming code 01982 worked with my Cisco RNG150N first try. Thank you to everyone who posted this information.

Tags (1)
New Poster

Note that code 01982 works with the Cisco RNG150N box and the Silver with Red OK-Select Button remote. See the instructions earlier in this thread about unlocking a remote using the 982 code.