Community Forum

set up a sound bar with xfinity box

Highlighted
New Poster

set up a sound bar with xfinity box

I purchased a sound bar (external speaker) for my LG tv. I want to use it through my xfinity main box and be able to control with my remote. How to set this up

Expert

Re: set up a sound bar with xfinity box

@gailroth wrote:

I purchased a sound bar (external speaker) for my LG tv. I want to use it through my xfinity main box and be able to control with my remote. How to set this up

Sound-bars are normally set up through the television (not the Comcast box). Follow  the directions found with the television.  Use the ARC HDMI. If using the optical port and optical cable use the television's audio menu to either use: sound-bar alone, tv speakers alone, or both.

If your Comcast remote is set up to turn TV on or off, the sound-bar would on when tv turns on.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thank you. Just so I understand. It was recommended that I use the optical cable as it works better

with my TV and soundbar. I have a Sony X800 TV and new soundbar, The connection diagrams are a

bit confusing to me. If my cable DVR box is connected to the TV I can bypoass the cbale box when

installing the soundbar. If I just connect the optical cable between the TV and soundbar and set the TV audio to the soundbar my Comcast remote will turn the TV on and off and control the volume

on the soundar. I can control the woofer with the soundbar remote. I appreciate any help I can get.

Regular Visitor

Using sound bar with projector not tv. Previous/older? Xfinity box had optical sound port. Why would Comcast remove this from its newer equipment? Oversight? What’s the work around?