Community Forum

hot new cable box

Regular Visitor

hot new cable box

Is it normal for my new cable box to get very hot. The top of the box is very hot to the touch.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: hot new cable box

Mine is warm, very hot is not normal. Make sure none of the venting is blocked, and the box can breath.

If that is the case, swap the box for another one.

Official Employee

Hi bioman1, the cable box can get very hot if the vents are blocked and there isn't enough circulating air to cool the equipment down. The cable box has its own vents designed let the hot air out and it also has a fan to help with the cooling process, like @barbie123 wrote above please ensure nothing is on top of the box or blocking the vents so that cool air can cool down your equipment. 

Regular Visitor

The cable box getting hot is not the only problem. Since I installed this new box, I've been having trouble getting channels especially in the evening. The screen is breaking up both video and audio, and I frequently get an error screen saying, "Sorry we're having some trouble" or "Give us some time. We're working to resolve some video issues",   It  then  sends me back to a previous channel that works. This happens more with non HD channels. I think I need a different box. It's becoming very very annoying.

Official Employee

Thank you for clarifying your issue bioman1, it sounds like you have a poor connection somewhere within your system. Have you tried rebooting the equipment to re-establish a strong connection? If not, please do so now. Also please make sure that your modem has a strong internet signal, the cable equipment relies on a smart part of your modem to provide data to your cable equipment. The data helps your system run smooth with no audio or video interruption, if your data connection is disconnected or compromised in any way you will see errors in your service. 

New Poster

My small box in my bedroom gets extremely hot and occasionally loses the audio until I mess with it. It will freeze on occasion until I reboot which is when it's almost too hot to touch. My last one did the same thing until it finally went and wouldn't work at all. Any suggestions?