Community Forum

edges of screen cut off

Regular Contributor

edges of screen cut off

the top of my picture seems to be cut off when i watch HD channels on my HDTV. i noticed that when I press guide it shows a shrunken down version of the program thats on and the picture it shows has more on the top than when its in full screen mode. i read the other post about configuring your box and tv so it shows the correct aspect ratio but for some reason im still missing part of the picture. should i take my tv back? do i have something set wrong on my cable box? i have Motorola DCH3416 and an Insignia 42 inch LCD HDTV. its set to wide so it should show the whole picture so wtf?
Frequent Visitor

Re: edges of screen cut off

How much of the picture is cut off?  Some tvs like mine can show in FULL pixel mode which on anything less than 1080p may chop off the top or size by a pixel.  Or show a white line around the screen.  Check your picture settings first.

Mark

Regular Contributor

i did. what do i change to fix it? its really annoying, especially when they show a close up of someone's face, they look like Herman Munster (the top of their head is flat)

did i just waste 1000 bucks on this tv or is it comcast's fault?

Message Edited by TomCat4680 on 08-25-2008 12:44 PM
Frequent Visitor

make sure you don't have the zoom or whatever its called on your tv . Use the TV remote ...(not the cable box remote)  find zoom ..(wide on my Sony) ...or something like that and put it back on full..or normal.

The wide mode should mostly be used on 4:3 SD or if the HD channel is showing a 4:3 show. (if you like stretch-o-vision)

wish the tv manufacturers would use same terms lol

Message Edited by BigScrewUp on 08-25-2008 09:03 PM
Regular Contributor

if i put it in normal it shows everything in 4:3 (even HD channels).
Frequent Visitor

then the aspec ratio on the box is not right...

turn the box off (leave TV on).....push the red menu button on the remote for the box.... a menu screen should pop on....put it "TV TYPE" on 16:9 by pushing the right or left on the white circle on the remote

Message Edited by BigScrewUp on 08-25-2008 09:23 PM
Regular Contributor

i already did that, same problem. i'm only missing like probably 5 lines of the picture but its still somewhat noticeable.
Frequent Visitor

Hmmm....sorry man..I tried...don't know any other things to try...

Could be a bad adjustment on the TV, My last analogue TV was always stretched top to bottom. finally had take it in and adjusted

Message Edited by BigScrewUp on 08-25-2008 09:36 PM
Frequent Visitor

I found 1 other adjustment on my Sony....don't know if yours has it......but anyways there's a "screen menu" that has a sub-menu called display area.
I can leave it on normal or it has -1  and -2 that adjusts the viewable screen area.. 
Not sure all TVs have this ....

Maybe I should ask the basic question 1st...how is the box connected to the TV ?   HDMI or component cables....
I forgot to ask...I went to my grandparents house. They had this big new 50" Panasonic HDTV and  they just had the coax from the box to the TV "like the old one"... lol

Message Edited by BigScrewUp on 08-25-2008 10:17 PM
Regular Contributor

HDMI
Bronze Problem Solver

TomCat4680 wrote:
HDMI

Some programs are HD but broadcast in 4:3. ESPNHD often does this. I don't have comcast cable so I can't comment on them specifically but directtv and my HDTV have a "Native" mode that displays the picture as it is broadcast. So a 16:9 picture originated  image is displayed in 16:9 format on my tv, an image originating in 4:3 format is displayed as 4:3 on my tv. In Native mode I never experience stretched/distoted or flattened/cut off images. I always see the image as broadcast, whether HD or standard and in the correct format.
New Poster

If the edges are cut off, check to make sure that your HDTV is set to 16:9 and not sometype of stretch/fit mode (i.e. H-Fit, V-Fit, Zoom, etc).

If that is good then make sure your HD Cable box is not set to a stretch mode:

1.  Hit the Settings button twice to get detailed settings

2. Scroll to "Set: Picture Format".  Make sure it is set either to "Pass-through" or "Auto DVI/HDMI".  What this will do is ensure that whatever is reaching your box gets passed through.  If it's HD that's what will be passed.  If it's SD, SD will be passed.  If you select "Fixed" then whatever you select in the Quick Settings will be used (more on this later).

3. Close the settings panel.

4. Hit Settings button to get the Quick Settings Panel

5. Scroll up to "Picture".  Make sure it reads "Normal", if not, change it.

Message Edited by Hoozurdaddy on 10-05-2008 03:11 AM
New Poster

This should be a simple fix if you do the following.

New Poster

This should help.  In the event it does not, the author assumes no responsibility and is held harmless from this post.

Using the cable remote, turn the cable box off using the remote's POWER button. 

Press and hold the red MENU button on the remote until the cable signal returns and a blue dialogue box apears on the TV screen

Select TV ASPECT RATIO using the up and down navigation in the middle of the remote

Set the aspect 16:9

Select OK

Exit the display by pressing the POWER button

Turn the cable box on using the POWER button

Check and you should the have the correct picture.

Tech support may keep you on-line all evening trying to correct this issue.

I hope it helps with your problem.

I hope it helps.

Official Employee

Almost 6 year old thread closed