Community Forum

connecting my visio smart HDTV to comcast cable

New Poster

connecting my visio smart HDTV to comcast cable

do I need a "cable box" to connect my new HD TV to cable and view my cable tv channels? 

Expert

Re: connecting my visio smart HDTV to comcast cable

@dcbbrewer31405 wrote:

do I need a "cable box" to connect my new HD TV to cable and view my cable tv channels? 

Yes! You will need either a standard HD cable-box, or an X1 cable-box to view programing from Comcast.

You can use an antenna to view local channels in HD or SD if you are in range of a transmitter for free. If you already have Internet service from anyone, you could use the apps found on your Smart television to view programing found on You Tube, Netflix, etc., without using Comcast.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: connecting my visio smart HDTV to comcast cable

@dccbrewer31405
The short answer is yes, if you are trying to use cable you need a cable box of some kind, the signal is encrypted. There are other options like using the Xfinity Stream app on a Roku instead of a cable box

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!