Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

audio cuts out for 1-2 seconds

Frequent Visitor

audio cuts out for 1-2 seconds

What is the reason that the audio cuts out momentarily ? This is very annoying and does it on most of the channels. It is random but consistant, usually   cuts out one or two words ,enough to miss what is being said.

This is same issue I had 5 years ago when first using Comcast, Went over to Fios for a few years and never had the problem. Recently got back with Comcast and problem still exists. I know it is not my cables in my house since it was perfect sound always with Verizon Fios. If Comcast has no fix for this, then back to Fios I will  be going.......does anyone else have this same problem and IS there a fix?

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: audio cuts out for 1-2 seconds

It has been 48 hours since Comcast crew adjusted nodes, amplifiers  etc. in the street.

So far my sound has been flawless, no drop- outs or missed words.  I will wait another week and watch more 

channels just to be sure the problem has really disappeared for good.

So my advice to anyone experiencing the symtom of the sound cutting out for 1-3 seconds, call Comcast 

have them come out and check/adjust the nodes and amplifiers in the cable  boxes OUTSIDE your home

and even farther down to the next junction or two

this is where the issue is apparently.  Unless my problem comes back, this will be my last posting on this

issue.  good luck to you all.......

All Replies
Frequent Visitor

I hope to see an answer. I have been struggling with this for a year.  Comcast says they will monitor and fix.  I Finally convinced them it was outside of my house.  My comcast repair person will not return phone calls to the number he gave me to call.  This is a real mess.

Frequent Visitor

Ok thanks, I am going to contact Comcast today to get an answer,sounds like they are not very interested in fixing the problem...........I will go back to Verizon if this continues much longer

Regular Visitor

I'm having this same issue but mine only started Saturday when I purchased a new TV. On my old RCA tube tv it never did this but on the new HDTV it is doing it. It drives me crazy. I'm not sure its the cable or the new TV. How can I tell for sure before my return 30 days are up?

Silver Problem Solver

@danwilk

One thing to try to see if it is your television would be to play a DVD and see what the sound does during that.

Also run the cable from the wall, not the cable box, and see how the sound reacts.

Either way you can check out the tv and then decide for yourself on the service.

Frequent Visitor

update on this sound issue: comcast is going to send tech out to check for possible problems  from where the cable enters my residence to the "nodes" or individual splices  near the street..Hopefully they will find a solution.

Frequent Visitor

Please report if it gets resolved.  They did all that at my house, said the issue was further up the network and they would report to "network".  Nothing happened.

Frequent Visitor

Ok tech came over two days ago ,checked the cable from house to street and into junction box two house away where it ends.  Said that someone installed wrong type of cable 6 years ago when housing tract was built, and that it was " indoor cable', not meant to be in the wet /damp underground location that it is in.

So tech thought this was cause of problem and replaced entire cable from house to junction box ( about 100 feet worth) and said to try it and see if it cures problem.  It did NOT cure problem, but at least I now have the right cable!  Tech told me to call him if problem persists, so I called today and told him and he is going to contact the " maintenance " department  on Monday to have them check the cable beyond the point that he hooked the new cable to.   So we will see what happens next.....my opinion is that it is an euipment problem at the source(wherever that is?) and they need to fix thier faulty equipment.

The fact that the video never misses a beat and is crystal-clear, tells me that the cable is doing its job all the way from my location to the source.  There must be a faulty audio amplifier or wharever they use to send audio signal is acting up.

more to follow next week in this quest for perfection!

Tags (1)
New Poster

mine has been doing it but only on shows that we watch on the DVR, not ones we watch "live"-I figured it was something w/ the signal to the box or defective hard drive on the DVR??

Expert

Has anyone posting audio issues here tried the following if your using HDMI?

With your Comcast remote

Turn off the DVR

press "menu"

Arrow down to "Additional HDMI settings" press select

Try changing the audio output selection from "auto" to "L-PCM" or "passthrough"

and see if either of those selections helps.  Press the power on the remote twice to exit the menu.

Frequent Visitor

I have 3 dvr's 2 hdmi and one not.  Happens on all of them.

Frequent Visitor

I have  not tried this but will try it today,thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Ok ,I set both of my HD boxes to " L-PCM" . They were both on "auto"

While I was in the menu screen, I noticed that one of my boxes was only set at  480  output, so I put it on 1080 I .  Maybe I will get HD now.......it is only a 40 inch LCD but  going from 480 to 1080 output from cable box should be better picture I would think.......It looked like hi def but how could it be if the box was set at only 480 output via HDMI?

Anyway now that I have changed the HDMI audio settings, I will wait and see if my sound cut-out problem is still there.

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:

Ok Comcast told me they sent the maintenance crew  today to work on the problem.  They adjusted the

amplifiers in the nodes ,  according to Comcast . There apparently 3-4 amplifiers in each node.  I will

give it 48 hours and see if problem is resolved.  They said they are 99% sure this adjustment/alignment of

the equipment will solve the missing audio problem.

More to come................

New Poster

That worked!! Thank you, thank you.  I changed the audio to L-pcm and the annoying auto cut out went away.

Frequent Visitor

Well it has been a day since I adjusted the DVR HDMI setting from " auto"  to  " L-PCM

and also the adjustment to the nodes done by Comcast crew.   So far problem has gone away but I will give it

two more days to make sure.

Then I will put dvr back to " auto"  and see if sound cuts out again.  This way I can tell what actually fixed the

problem.......was it the setting change on DVR.....or did Comcast crew fix it by adjusting the nodes?    

more to follow.........

Frequent Visitor

mhani3,    cool  am glad your issue  got fixed!

Frequent Visitor

Mine is still acting up.

Frequent Visitor

You might try and contact Comcast to have the maintenance crew come out and adjust the nodes and see if that helps.......

Frequent Visitor

I have asked for them to do that multiple time without action.  Problem is still here and the techs focus on an inside problem which in the end after testing they all say does not exist.

Frequent Visitor

Well I would keep calling them until they resolve it.......they get enough money for the cable service so in my

mind it should pretty much work perfectly.   I had to call about 7 times before they finally looked into the

problem.  I asked to speak with a supervisor and told them to get the sound fixed or they can

come back and take all the equipment back and I will get the dish network  or some other cable.....that

seemed to get them  motivated.

Frequent Visitor

It has been 48 hours since Comcast crew adjusted nodes, amplifiers  etc. in the street.

So far my sound has been flawless, no drop- outs or missed words.  I will wait another week and watch more 

channels just to be sure the problem has really disappeared for good.

So my advice to anyone experiencing the symtom of the sound cutting out for 1-3 seconds, call Comcast 

have them come out and check/adjust the nodes and amplifiers in the cable  boxes OUTSIDE your home

and even farther down to the next junction or two

this is where the issue is apparently.  Unless my problem comes back, this will be my last posting on this

issue.  good luck to you all.......

New Poster

my Comcast guy was out today and I showed him the post and he had no clue what it meant! SO mine will still be doing it! He said he will escalate to support and that he was not aware of the problem previously. 

New Poster

I don't get it? If I turn off the DVR I get no picture of anything if I press menu

Expert

If you have a Motorola or Pace box, you should get the user menu once the box is off when you press the menu button.

New Poster

It says Cisco on the front

New Poster

I have a Motorola box and the same thing happens to me when I hit the menu button once the DVR is turned off.  I just get a blank screen and nothing happens.

Frequent Visitor

My sound was cutting out only on HD channels. Tech visit changed wiring from street to house, checked signals, etc. Left without solving the problem, and promised to check with "someone".

While waiting, I changed from optical to coax digital output to my receiver. No change. Still dropping out. I installed RCA analog audio lines from the cable box to my receiver. Didn't hear any dropouts, but sound was worthless. Ugh! Went back to optical cable, but left the RCAs connected. No Dropouts!!

So either, swapping back and forth, optical to coax, somehow cleared up the problem...OR the problem was maybe a ground fault cured by the addition of the RCA cables.

Your guess is as good as mine. Been watching over an hour now and still no dropout on any channel.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I'm also having this issue.  The techs tried just about everything in the house, including a new box, and still the audio continues to cut out, just as described above; one or two words randomly and consistently.

The box is a DCX3200M, hooked up via HDMI to a projector, and I've tried both coax and optical outs to a Yamaha receiver.  It works with RCA inputs to the receiver (obviously not acceptable audio), but no digital audio seems to be getting transmitted correctly.  Which is also consistent with the channels that seem to be affected; all HD channels, and some SD channels...  The AV setup has worked just fine with DirecTV for the last 2 years, and I've double triple checked all the connections with a Bluray player, which works perfect.

I'm a new customer and have had to take time for techs (who have all been very professional, no problems with them) yesterday for the install, today, and once more on Friday!!!  This is getting frustrating...

Contributor

I have this issue too.  I have since I replaced my older box for one of the newer Cisco RNG200.  Since the issue only came when I got the new box this must be an issue with the box.  Saying this issue is closed with the answer of "Call Comcast and have someone come to your house" is both lazy and stupid since apparently many of the Comcast guys that are going out to houses have no idea what to do.

Try again Comcast.  This time give it some effort.

Frequent Visitor

I don't it is the box according to some posts. Seems like a network issue

Frequent Visitor

Same going on here in Chicago area...been tolerarting it for a year now.  The wife is getting irritated.

Frequent Visitor

Mark,

what do you think cured it in the end?  do you think it was really adjusting the nodes, or because you changed the audio setting to PCM?  is it still working ok?

did you try changing audio back to Auto to see what happens?

-thanks

Frequent Visitor

It was yhe nodes  that were adjusted that finally fixed the problem. When it was happening it would affect all 3 tv s in different rooms with three different cable boxes, and the HD DVR box was the one that i set from pcm to auto and made no difference......i dont even know what it is set to now because the problem was fixed an I get good sound, not once since last March did the audio cut out.

I will tell you if you are having the same issues will will have to be very firm with Comcast, as they will always tell you it is an equipment problem in your house(which may be true in some instances).

But it took three different crews to solve   my issue, which was finally resolved after 10 days when the line crews (2 trucks with 4 workers) checked the line from the overhead wires down the street, followedthem into the underground section beneath my street, and finally inspected one of the nodes(which I think is one of those green boxes they have betwwen peoples yards evey 3-5 houses).  They made an adjustment in there which most likely was some sort of ampifier to boost the signal and everything is good now.

I  dont know why my neighbors did not have the same problem but maybe they did and they ignored it or could live with it.......

Anyway you will need to be determined and keep calling Comcast until they fix it if that is the cause of the problem.

The way i look at it ,we pay them alot of money every month so we should have a clear picture and clear audio.

Good luck,

Mark

Frequent Visitor

sounds like yours was a different issue.   Mine seems to be fixed just with switching the audio to PCM.  at least I hope it stays that way!

did you have the video cut out as well as the audio?  strange that the video would not also cut out if it was a line/node issue.

Frequent Visitor

thats what was strange about it.....the video was perfect and very clear, only the audio was giving me trouble......sounds like your problem is fixed thats great!

Frequent Visitor

yes my wife was same way until we got it resolved!:

Frequent Visitor

Mark,

I had a long talk with them re this. And yes they go straight for the equiptment.  I live at the end of the line so it may be the case.  Anyways, I am calling them later today to voice my concern and raise my voice a little.  The guy looked at the forum and said little.  I do have a motorola box -fyi.  Anyhow, we'll see how it goes, hopefully for their sake they fix it as I just lost my job and not in the mood for dilly dallying around. I feel sorry for them now - if they don't fix it they owe me a credit for not providing a service I am paying for(and yes my wife is irritated about it now).

Frequent Visitor

sorry about your job....we are facing layoffs here too they just have not announced it yet........good luck and remember you will find a better job you will see.

Frequent Visitor

let us know what happens. does it get fixed when they adjust things on the pole or do they have to change your box settings?

also, from other posts, it appears that switching to a higher end DVR box may take care of the problem too (although then you must pay for monthly DVR service too).

New Poster

If still having trouble getting to settings/menu press "Guide" instead of "Menu"

Regular Visitor

I am also having a similar audio problem. My problem seems to be limited to CBS and USA.  Local CBS news programs are imposible to listen to.  The verbal and any background music are both affected The ads and remote reporting are less affected then the studio reporting.  I purchased a new TV about 6 weeks ago and that is when the problem surfaced.  My old monster TV did not exhibit the problem as far as I could tell.  I had Comcast out for the problem and they put in a new Motorola box.  The USA channel shows that are most affected  are NCIS reruns.

Frequent Visitor

comcast was out today...said the box in the yard was wide open with moiture and spider webs. service was called to fix it. if it doesnt then the nodes will be next. ill let you know what happens next.

Regular Visitor

Well, supposedly an attempt has been made to correct my audio problem.  However, there has not been an improvement.  There supposedly was an open box somewhere.  Comcast service techs visited in March and did check the connection at the street.  How did this box open up?  In conclusion: No Improvement. 

SK-G

Frequent Visitor

On to the third service call tomorrow. I keep telling them about the nodes but they said they have a process to follow. A waste of time in my view when it appears clear what may be the issue. Anyways, we'll see how this one goes. If they can't fix it then I'll be asking for more credit for poor service.

Regular Visitor

On or about April 18 the audio problem has apparently been repaired.  I don't know if Comcast made repairs or if the change over to HD by WHP, Channel 5 resulted in the correction.

SK-G

Frequent Visitor

The problem comtinues....I have had I think 6 or 7 techs out so far.  They check everything and all comes out ok....I have had 3 new lines put in...very irritating to say the least.  I tell them all that they need to review the nodes....thye can't as I have a good signal.  The last guy said he ...have to go for now

Contributor

tried switching to pcm or the other one and it did nothing. i have the new, little black box.

Frequent Visitor

you could try going to comcast and ask them to switch you to a different box

mine still works fine on PCM. but every so often the box changes itself back - so i have to change the settings again to PCM.

New Poster

I have same issue. Seems like when I play with the Monster HDMI cable a little bit, it gets better. It doesn't have a lot of wiggle room. Don't know if others have simply checked out the HDMI cable itself to see if its plugged in as tight as can be.