Community Forum

Xfinity box issue, line of sight

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity box issue, line of sight

My in laws just moved into assisted living, small one bedroom, the box in the attached photo is on the only wall that has space for a piano, the tv will be mounted above the piano. Obviously, the remote doesn’t work, line of sight issues, unless of course, they walk over and point it behind the piano. The xfinity rep here in town gave me an rf adaptor and an ir extension, but the box has no output for it, so that didn’t work, went back and they said and xr2 remote would work, it does not. Short of upgrading them from basic and adding a box that can go on top of the piano, is there a solution to this issue, xfinity has not been helpful. Thanks

6138E9E8-106D-4C0C-957C-DD08E4B42AC0.jpeg
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity box issue, line of sight

I’m not sure which remote that you have but press and hold setup and press the xfinity button and enter the 3 digit code that pops up onscreen. The remote will then be paired

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the info, I tried your solution and the remote was already paired and the RF and IR advanced were enabled, still no response. The box is completely blocked by a piano, I thought there has to be a work around for this, given entertainment centers would do the same thing. Any other suggestions?

Diamond Problem Solver

@Sdevries13 wrote:

Thanks for the info, I tried your solution and the remote was already paired and the RF and IR advanced were enabled, still no response. The box is completely blocked by a piano, I thought there has to be a work around for this, given entertainment centers would do the same thing. Any other suggestions?

It can't be both it's one or the other. Did the 3 digit code pop up at all? Press and hold setup and press 981 will wipe any previous box pairing.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

There was no 3 digit code, it went straight to setup and remote settings. I will try it again tomorrow. Thanks, I appreciate the help

Diamond Problem Solver

When you press and hold setup the LED goes from red to green and then press Xfinity

New Poster

That did it. Thank you👍

Diamond Problem Solver

Thanks for the update, glad we were able to help your in-laws

New Poster

Same issue the previous guy had with the white box. My fathers lives in a senior housing where they provide free basic cable. He also has a white box cable box and is located on the wall down near the outlet. I had to move his dresser out of the way so that the large senior xfinity remote could have direct line of the white box. It is very inconvenient to not have a box up on the same level as the TV. He has dementia and gets frustrated because the remote doesn’t always work. Is this how cable is supposed to be set up in senior living facilities? This isn’t the best option for them!!!
Diamond Problem Solver

Ask the maintainer folks at the facility to take it off the wall and extend the coax, it’s only on with 2 fasteners. But yes that’s how it works, what white remote are you referring to and was it ever paired to the box?