Community Forum

XR2 remote won't control cable box

New Poster

XR2 remote won't control cable box

My old silver remote stopped working about 3 weeks ago, so I went into the Comcast service center to get a new remote.  It was an XR2 remote, all black, with a different configuration of buttons than the silver one. It controlled  my TV, but would not change the channels on my cable box.  After a call with a service rep where we went through a million codes that would not program the remote to control the cable box, I wound up going back into the service center to get yet another new remote and I am now having the exact same issue.  My box works, my remote works, but they will not work together. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have only been able to watch one channel for 3 weeks!  Thank you. 

New Poster

Re: XR2 remote won't control cable box

I am having the same issue! It is so frustrating! Did you get an answer??
Silver Problem Solver

The XR2 is set up to send 3 different cable box codes. For most newer boxes, press and hold SETUP until the LED turns green, then press A to set the code. For Motorola boxes, use B (newer DCX series Motorola's will work with A or B ). For Cisco, use C.

New Poster

I am having the same issue. It is so frustrating. Please help

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. My (very old) cable box is Motorola DCT 700, my (very old) remote is a sliver one with a red OK button. I asked for a replacment remote a few days ago, and it was sent to me. Unfortunately, despite my asking for the same remote, I have received a new shiny XR2. After two calls to the support, and their several attempts to reset the cable box, and directing me to enter a number of wrong codes this did not go anywhere. They are sending me XR5 remote now (not sure why).

I then just read the remote manual, and this discussion board, and was able to:

a) program the XR2 so it can control the TV set (I can turn on/off the TV and control the sound). None of the TV codes in the remote manual worked, but I was able to use the "search for TV code" procedure and it worked.

b) program the  XR2 so it paired with the cable box (somewhat) - press Setup, and then press B button. I can now change channels.

One thing that does not work yet, is that I can't turn off the cable box - it has to stay on all the time. Can anyone advise how to fix this? Thanks!

New Poster

This remote is clearly garbage, lol.

I can't get mine to pair with my soundbar or control anything on the TV except the power, volume, and input....

Silver Problem Solver

The XR2, and most newer Comcast remotes, are mainly just to control the cable box. Their TV or audio device control is just the basics needed for cable use. Even the old silver or grey remotes were limited unless you knew the code to unlock the cable lock and turn it into a universal remote.