Community Forum

XR2 remote control problem

Frequent Visitor

XR2 remote control problem

I use an XR2 remote with a RNG150N set top box, TCL TV and a Marantz AVR.

The XR2 remote worked fine for a month with no problems.  I lost it. 

I had it replaced with a new XR2 remote from the local comcast store.  The new XR2 remote had a problem reported in an earlier thread:  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Non-X1-Service/xr2-remote-not-working/td-p/2820714

It works for a little bit and then it freezes and the red light stays on.  the remote is completely unresponsive until I pop out the batteries and pop them back in.  It works for a few button presses and then all over again, the red light and the freezing.

I went to the store to replace the remote.  They gave me a new one that turns out to have the exact same problem.  I tried yet another remote; still same problem.  I tried every code online and in the manual.  Nothing seems to fix this problem.

Why did the original remote control work so well?  How do I fix this?

Official Employee

Re: XR2 remote control problem

Hello OrangeMarker. Thank you for visiting and posting on our Forum. Have you tried to pair the new remote after it failed using the instructions found here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere  ?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastJoeTru wrote:

Hello OrangeMarker. Thank you for visiting and posting on our Forum. Have you tried to pair the new remote after it failed using the instructions found here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere  ?

Of COURSE I tried that.  IT DOES NOT APPLY. 

When I hold Setup until the light is green and then press the Xfinity button it simply toggles the quick menu.  The pairing screen never appears.

Official Employee

OrangeMarker, I apologize for any miscommunications. Unfortunately, this happens to be a common issue with this model of remote and is something that was taken into consideration when the new ones were made. Fortunately we have a few options available for you. If you really like that style of remote you can try replacing it again to see if you get another one without this issue. On the other hand, I would be more than happy to help you upgrade your equipment and your remote at no extra cost. We can even have everything shipped to you so you don't need to make a trip to the service center if that is more convenient for you. If you would like me to take a look, please send me a private message with your first and last name so I can assist. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

OrangeMarker, as I have not heard back from you in some time, I have closed this thread to further comments. I hope you were able to get a new remote that works better for you, but if you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.