Community Forum

XR2 Remote Issue

Regular Visitor

XR2 Remote Issue

After pairing my XR2 remote with my XG1 DVR STB I lose the ability to turn the STB on and off via the All Power button.  I'm still able to control the power and volume of my TV, but not the STB.  If I unpair the remote I regain the ability to turn the STB on and off.  I prefer to pair the remote so I don't have to point the remote directly at the STB, but I would still like to be able to turn the cable box on and off.  Any help with this would be appreaciated.

Frequent Visitor

Re: XR2 Remote Issue

My remote is also having this problem. If i may ask how did you unpair the remote?

Regular Visitor

To unpair the XR2 remote you have to hold the setup button until the "All Power" button changes from red to green.  Then enter 9-8-7.  To pair the remote with the XG1 you hold setup until "All Power" goes from red to green and then press the Xfinity button up to five times.  The remote pairing screen should appear.  If it doesn't then the cable box doesn't support pairing.

Frequent Visitor

Mine also. But it only affected turning the box on or off. All other functions remained unaffected. Weird
New Poster

Yes, having the exact same issue. Comcast, please resolve! The pairing is great but defeats the purpose when I decide to stop watching tv and have to walk up to the box to power it off.

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here.  The moment I unpair the remote, I'm able to use all features and power the comcast box on/off.  As soon as I pair it with the XG1, I'm unable to power the comcast box on/off but everything else continues to work fine.  Definitely a bug.

Frequent Visitor

Ditto.

After nearly two months since the first post, it'd be nice if someone from Comcast acknowledged this.

New Poster

This isn't an issue, this is intentional. The remote and box are paired via rf . They must constantly send each other signals to remain paired if the box is off this isn't possible.
Regular Visitor

If I turn the box off with the power button on the box and then turn it back on, the remote and box remain paired so turning the box off will not unpair the remote. I do not believe this was intentional and one should be able to turn the box off and on even when paired.  I deduced this from the fact that I do not have to keep pairing my remote after I turn the box off, but if I leave the box on then the paired remote becomes slow to respond and sometimes doesn't work at all requiring me to pull the power out of the STB.  And get this.  After pulling the power of the STB my remote remains paired.  This so called intentional inability to turn the STB on and off with the XR2 remote is causing issues.

Frequent Visitor

I have a similar issue but am not able to power the box off at all via the remote regardless if paired or unpaired. I too agree the pairing feature is a nice benefit but getting very tired of having to walk over to the physical box to turn it off.  I can always turn it back on from the remote -- annoyed!

Problem Solver
Contributor

When in the pairing screen it will only allow input of the #'s displayed.  It won't take any other #'s.  Therefore the 897 for unpairing does not work.  Any other ways?

Regular Visitor

The pairing screen is for just that... pairing. You must have misread my post about how to unpair the XR-2 remote from your STB. Reread my post on how to unpair your remote. Unpairing does not involve the pairing screen and the sequence is 9-8-7 to unpair.
New Poster

JTChance wrote:

To unpair the XR2 remote you have to hold the setup button until the "All Power" button changes from red to green.  Then enter 9-8-7.  To pair the remote with the XG1 you hold setup until "All Power" goes from red to green and then press the Xfinity button up to five times.  The remote pairing screen should appear.  If it doesn't then the cable box doesn't support pairing.

Thanks so much!  I was unable to activate my new X1 companion box because remote was paired to an old box and this did the trick.  2 trips to the Comcast Service Center and hours with X1 customer service couldn't rectify the problem, but you did!