Community Forum

X1 Forum

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum

@gate1975mlm wrote:

When I fast forward 4X Speed it gets stuck and keeps fast forwarding through the whole show!

This happens at random times and is a pain in the you know what Smiley Sad

Comcast please fix this issue ASAP!

Thanks

Yes - PITA!

Frequent Visitor

Is X1 converter compatible with older style Xfinity remote?

Anyone here know if the older style Xfinity remote can be programmed to work the new X1 box.  Looking to avoid having to fumble with two remotes.  Would like to be able to use the "AUX" option to control my audio receiver as I did two days ago when I had a Motorola box.  The older Xfinity remote I have is the silver one with the red"ok/select" button.  I tried the "Comcast" code listed on the remote manual as there is no "Xfinity" model listed.  There is no manufacturer label anywhere on the new X1...just the Xfinity logo.  Maybe I'm wasting my time and the remote isn't compatible..?  Would be nice if the new X1 remote provided controlled more than just the TV and the converter though...

Problem Solver

Re: Is X1 converter compatible with older style Xfinity remote?

@Jennphen539 wrote:

Anyone here know if the older style Xfinity remote can be programmed to work the new X1 box.  Looking to avoid having to fumble with two remotes.  Would like to be able to use the "AUX" option to control my audio receiver as I did two days ago when I had a Motorola box.  The older Xfinity remote I have is the silver one with the red"ok/select" button.  I tried the "Comcast" code listed on the remote manual as there is no "Xfinity" model listed.  There is no manufacturer label anywhere on the new X1...just the Xfinity logo.  Maybe I'm wasting my time and the remote isn't compatible..?  Would be nice if the new X1 remote provided controlled more than just the TV and the converter though...

You should be able to check a few replies a little earlier just a day or two ago in this thread as they talk about how at least the R2 version of the X1 remote can be set up to control audio receivers as well.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 just died

Maybe a stupid question but did you try pulling the power cord out of the back of the box?  If not try it and leave it unplugged for at least 30 seconds and then plug it back in.  If that doesn't do it, unfortunately you'll need to request that a tech come out and verify the transmit and receive levels for that converter.  If levels are confirmed to be with spec, you may have to have the box replaced....

Frequent Visitor

I'll look into this...thanks.

Bronze Problem Solver

@Jennphen539 wrote:

Version 2 of the XR2 Remote can be programmed to control both a TV as well as an additional audio device, such as a sound system. To determine what version of the XR2 remote you have, look at the bottom of the back of your remote. It may say Version P2 or R2.

To program version 2 of the XR2 Remote to control the volume of your audio device, first follow the instructions to program the remote to control the TV set. Then, follow the same steps and enter one of the audio device manufacture’s codes found on the Codes list below. Once the remote is programmed to control both the TV and audio device, it will control the power of your TV and the power and volume (including mute) of your audio device.

If you attempt to enter a code for a third device, your remote will no longer be programmed to control the first two programmed devices.   

If you can’t find a code that works for your TV after following the steps above:

1.    Press and hold the Setup button for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.

2.    Enter 9-9-1 on the remote.  The All Power button should flash green twice.

3.    Press the CH ^ button multiple times until the TV turns off.

4.    After the TV turns off, press Setup

Below are the codes for audio devices:

Setup Codes for Audio Devices

Manufacturer

Code

ADC

Aiwa

30158, 30189, 30405

Bose

31229, 31933

Capetronic

Carver

Denon

31360, 31104

Harman/Kardon

30110, 30189

Integra

JBL

JVC

Kenwood

31313, 31570, 30027, 31027

Linn

Magnavox

30189, 30531

Marantz

Onkyo

30135, 30842

Optimus

31023, 30531

Panasonic

31308, 31518

Philips

30189, 31266

Pioneer

31023, 30014, 30531, 31384

Polk Audio

Proscan

RCA

31023, 31254, 30531

Sansui

Sanyo

31261, 31469, 31801

Sony

31759, 30158, 31758

Stereophonics

Sunfire

Technics

31308, 31518

Victor

Wards

30158, 30189, 30014

Yamaha

30176, 31176

Frequent Visitor

THANK YOU Manamok!  That worked.  I appreciate the quick response too!

Regular Contributor

DVR Issue

Well...I was able to setup Phil Spector to record....and my DVR is now recording it everytime it's on.  There is no series set up to record and I cannot get it to stop recording.

Bronze Problem Solver

@Jennphen539 wrote:

THANK YOU Manamok!  That worked.  I appreciate the quick response too!

You're welcome!

New Poster

Setting up Favorites on X1

Just figured out how to setup Favorites using the X1 remote- it is greyed out at first until you set it up. 

You can Favorite a Channel or a Show.

To Favorite a Channel, from the program guide, highlight the Channel on the left side (not the show). Then click INFO on the remote, and then scroll down to Favorites and select it.

To Favorite a specific Show, from the program guide, highlight the specific show, then click INFO, then scroll down to Series Info, click OK, then select Favorite.

Once the Favorites are set up, you access them by selecting the Guide, then Pressing the A button on the remote, then Select Filter and Scroll down to Favorite.   The filters stay on until you unselect them.

Hope you find this helpful.

BTW - this info is not in the manual.

Problem Solver

Re: Setting up Favorites on X1

Definitely good and useful information.  There are also various other tips (including this one) in the X1 thread at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/m-p/1557105.

Regular Contributor

@Jennphen539 wrote:

Maybe a stupid question but did you try pulling the power cord out of the back of the box?  If not try it and leave it unplugged for at least 30 seconds and then plug it back in.  If that doesn't do it, unfortunately you'll need to request that a tech come out and verify the transmit and receive levels for that converter.  If levels are confirmed to be with spec, you may have to have the box replaced....

Well first off my message explaining what happened was deleted!! Why?  The phone tech said I was the 4th person she had with the problem today.  Was it that severe of a problem to hide it?

In any case, I definitely unplugged it for much more than 30 sec.  Went at long as ~20min.  No luck

BUT

I unplugged it before going out of the evening.  6 hours later.... It works

So if you get that message and the comcast phone support tells you they need to reimage the system (aka reformat it and erase), it can come back if you have some patience.

Regular Contributor

@ozone1964 wrote:

Yesterday I was schooled in INGRESS and what it can do to DOCSIS based cable systems.  If you have Ingress on your cable coming into your box, this is probably most of the problems with your X1 setups. My X1 cable box is now speedy and working without all the issues that were once plaguing my setup.  My thanks goes out to Jason the awesome XFinity Tech who fixed my issue within 15 minutes and taught me about INGRESS and what it can do to modern DOCSIS systems.

Ingress is not the problem with vast majority of these X1 problems.  Not. Even. A. Little. Bit.

Regular Contributor

@sammsterling wrote:

well i have only one thing to say to all of you that are having all these problems.

REQUEST A CREDIT, you really should be getting one.  Comcast is usually good about these things, i dont know about how they are in this area regarding the X1 service though.

Everytime I am promised a call back and dont get one, I persistently push for a credit along the lines of a customer guarantee.  Usually get $20.  Demand it, especially after a multiple missed call backs like have been reported here.

Frequent Visitor

@HD-Tech wrote:

@ozone1964 wrote:

Yesterday I was schooled in INGRESS and what it can do to DOCSIS based cable systems.  If you have Ingress on your cable coming into your box, this is probably most of the problems with your X1 setups. My X1 cable box is now speedy and working without all the issues that were once plaguing my setup.  My thanks goes out to Jason the awesome XFinity Tech who fixed my issue within 15 minutes and taught me about INGRESS and what it can do to modern DOCSIS systems.

Ingress is not the problem with vast majority of these X1 problems.  Not. Even. A. Little. Bit.

So what is?  Don't tell me it isn't the issue and leave us all hanging.

New Poster

X1box reboots

I have the new x1 DVR it stopped last evening and now I have rebooted several times still no picture I have phone and 2 legacy HD boxes that all work fine it just stopped working in the middle of a show froze then after I rebooted it never returned video or audio
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1box reboots

There is an x1 forum three threads up from yours link is below.  You should post your issue there, also you can read about others that have the same and different issues.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105

Problem Solver

I've experienced something similar--the video on DVR playback just froze and nothing else would work after that--for the first time. In my case rebooting the box seems to have gotten it back into a working state. If you haven't done this already, you might want to try completely unplugging the box for a few minutes and then plugging it back in and letting it boot up.
Regular Contributor

@ozone1964 wrote:

@HD-Tech wrote:

So what is?  Don't tell me it isn't the issue and leave us all hanging.

The majority of problems people are talking about are just related to X1 being in more or less a beta test with still bug laden software. 

Ingress is about signal quality.  Ingress doesn't cause the record light to not work correctly.  Ingress doesn't mess with the ability to people to set up series recordings.  Ingress doenst cause a new build to be pushed out with new set of problems and behaviors that the previous build doesn't have.  Ingress doesn't cause recordings to disappear.  Ingress is either there or it isn't (more or less) unless you are figiting with your connections.  The only issue that is reported somewhat often that you could envision being somehow tied to ingress is the lag for the constant server communication the X1 must do.  I am not seeing that being the most common complaint.  

To comcast's credit, they are working on it but are not very good at the communications and support part of it. 

I would love to see someone from the product development team made available for customer dialogue.

New Poster

I did unplug waited 2 minutes plugged it back in went through the reboot process never returned the picture, I took my HD box placed it in the same location it worked fine I moved the X-1 DVR to the location the HD box was and now it works, so I will asume the line feeding to my main TV does not want to work well with the modem in the X-1 box. i will be replacing the line. I checked it with a meter and found it was at 53 on the upstream with a 2% packet loss when ping test was run. 

New Poster

Re: Manual for the XGP-1 / PX001ANM HD-DVR?

New Comcast DVR Problems

March 31,2013

I just went through the process of getting the PX001ANM installed and after working on it for a day or so here's are my early results. I'm not very impressed.

1. Can not set up “series” recording. Comcast tech. said it was a known problem and they are working on it. No time frame for resolution.

2. When setting up a recording, the “ End Time”  can only be increased by : 1 min., 3 min. or 5 min.  Book says it can be up to 2 hours. Comcast tech.  said that the new DVR box was not made my Motorola but by Pace (I think) and Pace did not think this feature was needed so it was not included.

3. When going to Guide, the remote does not have a button to forward the date by 24 hours by hitting the date button. You must now scroll through all 24 hours to get to next date and beyond. A long process if going forward 5 or 6 days. Old DVR and remote had this feature. 

4. Can not select “Genre” after selecting a movie choice, such as Free Movies or New Movies. Once you select a category you have to go thru all the movies in order to find what you are looking for. Prior DVR had this feature of selecting a Genre after you selected say, Free Movies.

So far this is what I have found out about new DVR  

Not to swift.

Bob

New Poster

X1 Firmware Bug - Only 720p

I just learned from a support call that the X1 has a known bug where it can not send 1080 to either 3D or SmartTV's. Anyone know when the next firmware will be released? Watching the NCAA Basketball games in 720 on a 55-inch is painful - especially since i just jumped from UVerse to Comcast this weekend. I may consider exercising the 30-day guarantee if not soon.

Tags (5)
Regular Contributor

@rog286713 wrote:

There is an x1 forum three threads up from yours link is below.  You should post your issue there, also you can read about others that have the same and different issues.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105

Where is there a forum? All I see are various threads that are rarely confined to a single topic or issue

Regular Contributor

@HD-Tech wrote:

Well first off my message explaining what happened was deleted!! Why?  The phone tech said I was the 4th person she had with the problem today.  Was it that severe of a problem to hide it?

In any case, I definitely unplugged it for much more than 30 sec.  Went at long as ~20min.  No luck

BUT

I unplugged it before going out of the evening.  6 hours later.... It works

So if you get that message and the comcast phone support tells you they need to reimage the system (aka reformat it and erase), it can come back if you have some patience.

It did it again today.  A ~2hr power cycle brought it back.

Contributor

I have some non-DVR X1 boxes and yesterday two boxes decided to re-boot at 16:10 EST.  I only watch TV on weekends but this seems to be happening more often now.  When I check the about, eveything is still the same.

Tom

Regular Contributor

@HD-Tech wrote:

Where is there a forum? All I see are various threads that are rarely confined to a single topic or issue

For whatever reason, they're calling this megathread a forum. They've been merging all post about any kind of X1 issue into the same thread, which in my opinon makes it harder to keep track of discussions and discover solutions that others have worked out. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

@tcooper723 wrote:
Okay, little more triage, it won't record HD programs, but single SD programs will record. Still no series. How do you get the Mar 11 update? I have Mar 02.

Hi tcooper723 - I am sending you a PM to gather some account level information and additional questions regarding this issue, as I am not familiar with it. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

When I fast forward 4X Speed it gets stuck and keeps fast forwarding through the whole show!

Thanks

Thanks, gate1975mlm

I havent heard of this issue. Do you notice this happening during both DVR and On Demand shows (or everything)?

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, gate1975mlm

I havent heard of this issue. Do you notice this happening during both DVR and On Demand shows (or everything)?

I have only noticed it on my DVR recordings at this point.

I do not watch a whoile lot of On Demand because a lot of the show I watch do not allow fast forwarding. So I really can not say if it happens to On Demand as well.

But please fix this Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

All 3 of my X1 boxes were so slow last night!!!

It was so bad I ended up just going to sleep.

Everything was slow and it seems to happen almost every night now.

What is going on with these X1 boxes? They are so buggy it's not even funny! Smiley Sad

Frequent Visitor

I did notice the slowness last evening. It had been working well lately, but last night was so laggy that it made it virtually impossible to do simple things like delete a recording or even bring up the scheduled recordings list. 

Regular Contributor

@ebow wrote:

@HD-Tech wrote:

For whatever reason, they're calling this megathread a forum. They've been merging all post about any kind of X1 issue into the same thread, which in my opinon makes it harder to keep track of discussions and discover solutions that others have worked out. 

That is what I was thinking.  A thread is NOT a forum.  There should be a dedicated forum with a thread for each specific issue that people are seeing.  I have suggested this to Kara previously and she indicated it isnt something she can do.  But clearly, its badly needed and there isnt a technical/functional reason why it cant be done.

Kara - Which mod should we talk to about this?

Gold Problem Solver

@HD-Tech wrote:

That is what I was thinking.  A thread is NOT a forum.  There should be a dedicated forum with a thread for each specific issue that people are seeing.  I have suggested this to Kara previously and she indicated it isnt something she can do.  But clearly, its badly needed and there isnt a technical/functional reason why it cant be done.

This would have to be done at the administrative level. You can contact @CCLarry via pm and suggest it. 
Problem Solver

Re: X1 Firmware Bug - Only 720p

@da_gl wrote:

I just learned from a support call that the X1 has a known bug where it can not send 1080 to either 3D or SmartTV's. Anyone know when the next firmware will be released? Watching the NCAA Basketball games in 720 on a 55-inch is painful - especially since i just jumped from UVerse to Comcast this weekend. I may consider exercising the 30-day guarantee if not soon.

It seems that this resolved with the latest firmware that was pushed out to the boxes over the last week or so--it should be the one dated March 11th.

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Issue

@acheck981 wrote:

Well...I was able to setup Phil Spector to record....and my DVR is now recording it everytime it's on.  There is no series set up to record and I cannot get it to stop recording.

Acheck981 - I am going to send a PM to gather account level information. I have not heard of this issue - need to investigate a bit more in order to trouble shoot ASAP. 

Regular Contributor

@Queen-Evie wrote:

@HD-Tech wrote:

This would have to be done at the administrative level. You can contact @CCLarry via pm and suggest it. 

Thank you Queen Evie!!

Regular Contributor

Dvr freeze

Tonight at 10 pm, tried to play recording of Vikings. Dvr would not start no matter how many times I clicked play. Just froze. Annoying.
Regular Visitor

I have had nothing but trouble with the new x1 box. Freezing, not recording, awful guide, etc. I can't believe that I paid $50 to have this piece of junk installed.

Contributor

DVR maintenance and other issues

Who decided my dvr must go through its maintenance cycle every evening during primetime viewing, so that I can't set my dvr? I am getting frustrated more and more with this Xfinity platform. Why can't the filters be persistence more than a few minutes at a time? The guide is so primative! 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: DVR maintenance and other issues

your dvr should not be having any maintenance, what do you mean by filters?    your post needs more info

Regular Contributor

@bmsatsf wrote:

I have had nothing but trouble with the new x1 box. Freezing, not recording, awful guide, etc. I can't believe that I paid $50 to have this piece of junk installed.

Same here!

I am not one who likes to rip comcast just for the fun of it. But I got to say comcast is really dropping the ball with these X1 boxes! Like you said they are nothing but trouble and really seem like a piece of junk!

The X1 UI looks very pretty and modern compared to the long used older guides that comcast has used for years and years. But that's just about the only thing good about the X1 boxes currently. My whole family hates these X1 boxes. They are just way too buggy to be used in normal situations. I am tired of the freezing,Lag,Ghosting guide see through, Sound issues and so on!

The last few nights have gotten so bad I can not even watch any of my DVR recordings. The DVR says I have no recordings even though I have over 50% on it Smiley Sad And I keep seeing these so called "Maintenance" being done messages and all my recordings are not available when this happens!

My whole family is really mad at me that I wanted to make this so called upgrade. I should of just stuck with the old boxes for a while.

I got the X1 boxes installed on January. 25, 2013 and there was maybe a 2 week period where it was working great for the most part. But now with latest buld from March.11, 2013 it's been down right terrible for the most part!

Again I am not trying to make fun of comcast like some like to do. I just want comcast to relize you have a lot of very unhappy X1 users right now and it's growing by the minute!

New Poster

same issues here- I got the unit in November and it functioned OK for the first month or so.  in the last 2 months I see the remote loose it's connection to the box regularly, the box shows as full even when I have deleted most items (they still show up in the deleted folder), and situations where the box just won't play video until I power it off and back on again. 

I'm seriously thinking of going back to Tivo. 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, gate1975mlm

We have noticed it on DVR shows - not sure if it has happend with VOD or not. 

I think it may be the box is simply not responding to commands because we see this very often where any command is ignored or so slow to respond that is appears to be ignored.  Press any button and nothing happens - or is delayed.  It is fairly random - sometimes it gets so bad we'll reboot the box if we "think" nothing is being recorded.

So if the play command is ignored while in FFWD, the show can quickly race to the end.

Regular Contributor

@screenname137 wrote:

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, gate1975mlm

We have noticed it on DVR shows - not sure if it has happend with VOD or not. 

I think it may be the box is simply not responding to commands because we see this very often where any command is ignored or so slow to respond that is appears to be ignored.  Press any button and nothing happens - or is delayed.  It is fairly random - sometimes it gets so bad we'll reboot the box if we "think" nothing is being recorded.

So if the play command is ignored while in FFWD, the show can quickly race to the end.

I've seen this problem in the past, and my impression is the same as screenname137's. It's almost certainly the box being non-responsive to the remote. It happened for me several times in January, and less more recently. Not sure if that's due to improvements in the X1, or me changing the remote from RF to IR sometime in Feb. 

When this does happen to me, it always (or almost always) clears itself up, and I don't need to reboot necessarily, but it can mess up playback or anything else for a while. 

Contributor

More X1 Latency, Poor Response Time Problems

There is a very definite pattern to most of the X1 problems users are experiencing.  Note the similarities (highlighted in red) in all these postings:

gate1975mim wrote: "All 3 of my X1 boxes were so slow last night!!!  It was so bad I ended up just going to sleep. Everything was slow and it seems to happen almost every night now. What is going on with these X1 boxes? They are so buggy it's not even funny! :-("

clays wrote: "I did notice the slowness last evening. It had been working well lately, but last night was so laggy that it made it virtually impossible to do simple things like delete a recording or even bring up the scheduled recordings list. "

bradbortner wrote: "Tonight at 10 pm, tried to play recording of Vikings. Dvr would not start no matter how many times I clicked play. Just froze. Annoying. "

bmsatsf wrote: "I have had nothing but trouble with the new x1 box. Freezing, not recording, awful guide, etc. I can't believe that I paid $50 to have this piece of junk installed."

gate1975mim wrote: " My whole family hates these X1 boxes. They are just way too buggy to be used in normal situations. I am tired of the freezing,Lag,Ghosting guide see through, Sound issues and so on! The last few nights have gotten so bad I can not even watch any of my DVR recordings. The DVR says I have no recordings even though I have over 50% on it :-( And I keep seeing these so called "Maintenance" being done messages and all my recordings are not available when this happens!"

ALL of the above X1 LONG LATENCY, NON-DETERMINISTIC RESPONSE TIMES, MAINTENANCE BEING DONE MESSAGES, and IRRATIC, UNRELIABLE BEHAVIOR problems are typical of a centralized design requiring constant communication with central servers.  Sending messages back and forth between the X1 box and a centralized server to do even the simplest task is a fundamental design flaw, not a software defect.  No amount of "bug fixes" will solve this type of inherent design problem.  X1 performance will only get worse and worse as more X1 boxes are deployed and more users attempt to use them, especially during peak usage hours.  Think about it - when would your local X1 box ever require "MAINTENANCE BEING DONE"?  Only a CENTRAL SERVER has problems and downtime due to "maintenance".

In the rush to try and "fix" the myriad of X1 problems, the result is "1/2 step forward and 3 steps back".  In my own case, scheduling the X1 to record using the on-line web TV listing used to work fairly well, but now is broken with the latest software.  All I get now is "There was a problem with your request to record.  Please try again later."   You can try again and try again and try again and always get the same error.

Keep in mind that the X1 as well as all other modern DVR boxes are computers.  Most run some form of Linux or other embedded (real-time) operating system.  The box is quite capable of performing all normal user initiated tasks locally and quickly without the need to communicate with anything!  Only an on-demand search might require fetching information from a server or watching a pay-per-view program.

Watching a program you the user recorded on your DVR in your house should NEVER require accessing anything! 

Regular Contributor

Recorded Programs will not play

Woke up this morning....and none of my recordings will play.

Have attempted both the restart within the menu and pulling the plug.
Regular Contributor

Going Downhill Fast

The past week has been downright awful.

I couldn't set recordings last night at 9pm - DVR Maintenance.

I couldn't access my recordings - DVR Maintenance

Guide logos are all messed up.

Gave up on the DVR - went to bed - HD box wouldn't even come on. Had to reboot it to watch some TV before falling asleep.

Not sure what's been going on lately - but this needs to stop. Things have become severely worse in the past few days. 

Not being able to watch TV in Prime Time, when most people watch - is rediculous.

Kara - please provide an update on why these issues have been happening lately. We deserve to know.

Regular Contributor

Re: Recorded Programs will not play

@acheck981 wrote:
Woke up this morning....and none of my recordings will play.

Have attempted both the restart within the menu and pulling the plug.

Same here nothing is working this morning! Smiley Sad

Here is the number for X1 1-877-896-8678 but the wait times are very long this morning.

This is getting ridiculous now!

Regular Contributor

I called and they stated it is a known issue and their engineers are working on it. If these are the same engineers that designed this wonderful platform, then I'm not hopeful this will be anything more than band aided.

I also requested a call back from executive customer relations and am directing them to this thread.

There was recent news that I believe Denver is now coming onto the platform. So be prepared for your boxes to move even slower in the coming weeks and months.
Frequent Visitor

The box is working horribly last night and today. The audio mode issue, lag issues, recording light issues. Seems to be all of it.