Community Forum

X1 Forum

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

I am in the San Jose, CA area.  I have an x1 DVR (PA PX001ANM) and 3 boxes (PA PR150BNM).  The system has been in since January, and I had been using DVR manager on my computer, iPad and iPhone with no problem.  A couple of weeks ago, there was a nationwide problem with the X1 system (or so I assume from info on the internet).  Since that time, I cannot access any of my boxes on the internet or my portable devices.  Previously, I could see and address every box in the house; now, when trying to set up DVR manager on the internet, it tells me that service is available in my area, but my equipment is not compatible.

I have called Comcast numerous times, and no one seems to know how to rectify this problem.  Can someone out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Contributor

@Styx630 wrote:
I've received different answers to this when I've called, so I figured I'd just ask here. I have a Motorola DCX3400 box. Will it be compatible with the X1guide when it rolls out or will I need to get a new box?

You will need to get a new box.

Contributor

@roncali wrote:

I am in the San Jose, CA area.  I have an x1 DVR (PA PX001ANM) and 3 boxes (PA PR150BNM).  The system has been in since January, and I had been using DVR manager on my computer, iPad and iPhone with no problem.  A couple of weeks ago, there was a nationwide problem with the X1 system (or so I assume from info on the internet).  Since that time, I cannot access any of my boxes on the internet or my portable devices.  Previously, I could see and address every box in the house; now, when trying to set up DVR manager on the internet, it tells me that service is available in my area, but my equipment is not compatible.

I have called Comcast numerous times, and no one seems to know how to rectify this problem.  Can someone out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Hi Ron,

I'm not sure these suggestions will solve your problem but they may give you a clue as to what's happening:

1. Login to your Comcast account and under "My Account", then "My Settings" you should get a list of your equipment along the right side.  Verify that each model number and serial number match your actual gateway, DVR and other 3 cable boxes.  If they don't match, then this is likely the problem and Comcast will have to update their database.

2. If the numbers match, then try clearing the cache and all cookies from your iPad.  Comcast uses cookies to remember things about your setup and this information may have gotten corrupted.  After clearing the cache and cookies, login to your Comcast account and try to access your DVR manager.  Note that the default device Comcast tries to control may not be your DVR but one of the other 3 cable boxes.  You may have to re-select the DVR in one of the on-line pages (I don't remember just how I had to do this, but for a while my living room DVR manager wasn't working because Comcast was trying to control the bedroom cable box instead - once I changed the setting, it worked).

3. If clearing the cache and cookies still doesn't work, take your iPad to a nearby public hot spot.  Try logging into your Comcast account there and accessing your DVR.  If this works, then the problem is something in the configuration of your gateway and Comcast will have to help you.

If none of these work, then it's time to up the ante with Comcast support and get them to resolve the problem or else give Direct TV a call.  I find the X1 interface very cumbersome and difficult to setup recordings so I use my desktop on-line all the time.  The only very annoying issue I've encountered is that if you try to schedule a recording more than a couple of days in advance it always fails :-(

Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@ComcastKaraT

Can you tell us if Comcast is aware of the sound issues with the X1 box?

There are 3 issues going on.

1. The sound keeps going on and off for a split second at random times. And it happens a lot!!

2. Under the audio settings I have selected "Surround Sound" however it keeps swithing to "Stereo" on my 5.1 Receiver at random times!

3. Also a lot of TV Shows that are broadcasted in 5.1 are not coming though my speakers as 5.1 sound!

The sound cuts out with both HDMI and optical cables. And my Receiver changing on its own from "Surrond Sound" to "Stereo" only when using HDMI cable. I do not have this issue when using optical cable.

I would like to know if these 2 issues can and willbe fixed in a future software update? Or it it a hardware issue and will need a new improved box?

It's really driving the whole family insane! Smiley Sad

Thanks 

I continue to have sound issues with the X1.  I've posted several times in the past.  In my configuration, the X1 connects to the TV via HDMI and to a JVC receiver via optical.  The sound will cut out anytime you change input on the TV.  Several people have suggested this is due to the X1 re-negotiating the HDMI handshake which may be so, but it's still VERY annoying AND other DVRs such as Direct TV do NOT have this problem - my friend has a Direct TV DVR and I've tried the experiment personally!

The intermittent sound drop out is actually minor compared to the real issue and that is lack of 5.1 surround sound.  You can set the X1 to surround sound as many times as you want and the result is always the same - the JVC receiver switches to Dolby 5.1, BUT THE SOUND ONLY COMES OUT THE LEFT FRONT AND RIGHT FRONT SPEAKERS.  THERE IS NO SOUND FROM THE CENTER CHANNEL OR THE REAR SPEAKERS for 99 % of the programs, even when watching a premium movie channel where the intro to the movie says Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound!  On rare cases, typically only an HD premium movie channel, do you actually get 5.1 sound.

Contributor

Another X1 sound issue

I forgot to mention in my previous posting that the X1 does not appear to support DTS sound.  DTS is far superior to Dolby 5.1 and many movies have both a DTS and Dolby 5.1 soundtrack.  Case in point, "Men In Black" is currently playing on several of the premium movie channels.  All I get from the X1 is 2-CHANNEL STEREO sound, even though the X1 is set to surround and the JVC receiver displays Dolby 5.1.  Last night I happen to put in the "Men In Black" DVD and WOW, JVC switches to DTS or Dolby 5.1 and suddenly GREAT SURROUND SOUND, especially with DTS - this is what I expect when paying $200 per month for TV.  I am retired and on a fixed income so every $ is important and must provide good value.  Crappy 2-channel sound when paying a lot each month for premium movie channels is NOT a good value!

Contributor

Re: Another X1 sound issue

Santa-clara, I have the audio sound drop problem while listening through avr. 5.1 is read and broadcasted more often than not. But I have experiencd the issue you're reporting. Just not as often. I would be hot. Although the audio drop issue drives me crazy.
Contributor

whats the latest build number?

Anyone know the latest build number? Also is there a location where they publish release notes to say what was fixed? Thanks
Regular Contributor

Anyone noticed you do not get "Check Marks" anymore for watched recordings?

Regular Contributor

Re: Another X1 sound issue

@santa-clara wrote:

I forgot to mention in my previous posting that the X1 does not appear to support DTS sound.  DTS is far superior to Dolby 5.1 and many movies have both a DTS and Dolby 5.1 soundtrack.  Case in point, "Men In Black" is currently playing on several of the premium movie channels.  All I get from the X1 is 2-CHANNEL STEREO sound, even though the X1 is set to surround and the JVC receiver displays Dolby 5.1.  Last night I happen to put in the "Men In Black" DVD and WOW, JVC switches to DTS or Dolby 5.1 and suddenly GREAT SURROUND SOUND, especially with DTS - this is what I expect when paying $200 per month for TV.  I am retired and on a fixed income so every $ is important and must provide good value.  Crappy 2-channel sound when paying a lot each month for premium movie channels is NOT a good value!

Just because DTS is on the disc doesn't mean the show will stream or broadcast with it.  There will only be one surround audio stream over broadcast, cable, or sat and I have never noticed seeing any in DTS.  I suppose it is up to the provider to choose the format.

I just went to my box out of curiousity and could not find a network nor premium program (HBO, Starz, etc) that was not playing in surround...

The Natural - not a great specimen, but the dialog was certainly center channel, not L/R

Live NASCAR (Fox I think) - cars zooming all around the room - unexpected, but pretty cool 5.1 application

LOR / HBO - definitely 5.1

MIB3 / Starz OnDemand - big time 5.1

Jurassic Park OnDemand - 5.1

MLB Baseball - boring but dialog was from CC - didn't stick with it to see if they used the rears

Dr Suess Cat in Hat - some local channel 802 - 5.1 for sure

Even the few commercials I saw were in surround.

The only thing I found in stereo over the 5 or so minutes I looked around was MIB (the original) trailor - I didn't want to pay $3 to see if the actual show would be 5.1. Most always trailors are in stereo only.

FWIW, I did have to first toggle the X1 audio setting to Stereo and back to Surround to get 5.1.  I don't know what causes this - reboots, updates, who knows.  But when it happens, my AVR indicates that all it is getting is stereo - so it is pretty obvious but annoying as well.

At any rate, if you are not getting surround on most all of your HD channels - and walking up closely to the center channel and listening should be a dead give away - something is probably fautly in your setup or equipment as I don't think it is a typical issue with the X1 boxes.

Problem Solver

I still see checkmarks next to recordings that I've accessed before.
Problem Solver

Re: whats the latest build number?

In terms of latest updates and all that, since the platform is largely cloud based, everyone gets the same updates pretty much within days of each other. As for the changes, you can bet it's a mix of big fixes, stability and performance improvements for the most part and some new features as well mostly in the larger updates that are not as frequent (maybe every few months).
Contributor

5.1 Surround Sound Issue

Thank you screename137 for checking availability of 5.1 surround sound. I verified that my system is setup correctly and works fine with digital optical sound from my computer and DVD player.  I then interchanged optical connections with the X1 and the DVD player.  Next  I went through my Comcast favorites list (the only channels I ever watch) and found ONLY 6 out of 36 (that's 17%) had actual 5.1 sound as of 3:45 PM to 3:55 PM.

501 TCM = Stereo

516 Encore = Stereo

518 Encore = Stereo

520 Encore Love = Stereo

522 Encore Suspense = Stereo

524 Encore Westerns = Stereo

528 Encore Drama = Stereo

530 Encore Action = Stereo

536 Starz Edge = 5.1

537 Starz Black = Stereo

538 Starz Cinema = Stereo

539 Starz = Stereo

540 Starz Comedy = Stereo

551 HBO = Stereo

553 HBO2 = Stereo

555 HBO Signature = Stereo

557 HBO Family = Stereo

559 HBO Comedy = Stereo

560 HBO Zone = Stereo

561 Cinemax = Stereo

562 Cinemax = Stereo

565 MoreMax = Stereo

566 ActionMax = Stereo

567 ThrillerMax = Stereo

578 Showtime = Stereo

580 Showcase = Stereo

582 Showtime Extreme = Stereo

584 Showtime Family = Stereo

717 KCSM = Stereo

786 Tennis Channel = Stereo

801 HBO HD = 5.1

809 Encore HD = 5.1

816 Starz HD = 5.1

825 Showtime HD = 5.1

838 Max HD = 5.1

Since 6 X1 channels actually do provide 5.1 sound in all speakers, there is nothing wrong with my setup.

The problem is that very few of the channels I care about have surround sound!!  Is this a Comcast limitation?  Next time I visit my friend I'll try the same experiment with his Direct TV setup.  If as you found, other commercial channels have 5.1 sound that is absolutely the last thing in the world I would ever want: COMMERCIALS IN SURROUND SOUND - that is utterly rediculous.

Based on your test results and mine, it seems the 5.1 surround sound issue may not be limited to the X1, but more likely is the result of misleading Comcast advertising.  Note there are 6 and ONLY 6 HD channels in my favorites list - that is only 17 %.  Comcast radio & tv commercials, their web site, and flyers/promotions  sent directly to my home certainly mis-lead one to believe that ALL the expensive  premium movie channels are HD with full 5.1 surround sound!

Regular Contributor

Re: 5.1 Surround Sound Issue

@santa-clara wrote:

Thank you screename137 for checking availability of 5.1 surround sound. I verified that my system is setup correctly and works fine with digital optical sound from my computer and DVD player.  I then interchanged optical connections with the X1 and the DVD player.  Next  I went through my Comcast favorites list (the only channels I ever watch) and found ONLY 6 out of 36 (that's 17%) had actual 5.1 sound as of 3:45 PM to 3:55 PM.

Based on your test results and mine, it seems the 5.1 surround sound issue may not be limited to the X1, but more likely is the result of misleading Comcast advertising.  Note there are 6 and ONLY 6 HD channels in my favorites list - that is only 17 %.  Comcast radio & tv commercials, their web site, and flyers/promotions  sent directly to my home certainly mis-lead one to believe that ALL the expensive  premium movie channels are HD with full 5.1 surround sound!

Right - I don't think any SD shows carry 5.1 sound - only HD.  I would have never expected otherwise - and have never experienced it - not with any Comcast box including the X1. But I rarely watch any SD programming.  Where on Comcast's WEB site does it sugget that?

And I doubt Comcast has anything to do with how commercials are produced - I suspect HD/5.1 is a matter of course for production now with any HD programming.

Do check with satellite on SD channels - I think it unlikely that they carry 5.1 audio, but maybe they do.

New Poster

No Pandora or Facebook on my 2nd X1 box?

X1 installed S-4/23

• Pandora & Facebook up/running on my X1 DVR box
  • No options present (apps > pandora or apps > facebook) on my second X1 box (non-DVR)

Is this not an option with the non-DVR X1 box?

New Poster

X1 box - Music Choice looks seriously blurry

X1 installed S-4/23

• X1 DVR: Samsung
  • X1 non-DVR: LG 

Why does Music Choice look so blurry on both my TVs? It's seriously fuzzy and difficult to look at/have on.

Tags (2)
New Poster

X1 type OK as nav—but messages (upper right much too small to read)

X1 installed S-4/23

We have the type set as it came because it's appropriate for all the nav but find the longer messages (right area under the barker) much too difficult  to read even when walking up closer to the TV.  The text appears blurry or the letters fill in a bit (optical illusion we think based on the background/color of text)—but don't want to set the nav text larger just to read these sorts of messages.

Official Employee

@roncali wrote:

Thanks!

roncali, apologies for the issue you described. We do have a ticket open on your issue. Thanks for your patience while the teams investigate. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

We've had x1 boxes since December, and we love them. We have and minor issues with them. One problem we have is, my username comes up twice on all our apps. They also have occasional lag issues but usually only for 3-5 seconds. I have gotten hdmi to support 5.1 but only in 720p. The other major problem we have is, the box in the master bedroom had problems with freezing often. It would only display the channel logo, and of I changed the channel you would get one frame of video then it would freeze for about 20 seconds and go back to the channel logo. The only fix was a hard reset. T combat this I put in a brand new cable line and a different box, that worked perfectly. The new box had the same problems in this room and the old box worked fine in a different room I switched everything, all the cable lines to the box and have tried different jacks. I do not understand this problem at all.
I also have a few questions.
Are there any new apps that will come out for the box( I'm routing for hulu plus)
Will we be able to access more tuners soon
Will the hdmi input ports be operational at any time
What new features are planned for the box( tell me even the smallest detail, I love to know this stuff)
I can send a PM with more details and questions
Ncad0220
Regular Contributor

When will the X1 boxes be available in Connecticut. I'm tired of the old school Comcast guide that's years old.
Regular Contributor

Re: HDMI and Audio

FYI...

If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important

that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio

content (DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI

specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by

video. At 480p/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio.

This might be helpful for some having problems getting surround.  Also, make sure you use quality HDMI cables - they need not cost an arm and a leg either.  I have found MonoPrice, Fry's and Amazon to have reasonably priced cables that perform well.

Regular Contributor

Re: No Pandora or Facebook on my 2nd X1 box?

@sukibeans wrote:

X1 installed S-4/23

• Pandora & Facebook up/running on my X1 DVR box
  • No options present (apps > pandora or apps > facebook) on my second X1 box (non-DVR)

Is this not an option with the non-DVR X1 box?

Thanks, sukibeans, for your question. Currently, the non-DVR boxes do not support Pandora and Facebook at this time. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 box - Music Choice looks seriously blurry

@sukibeans wrote:

X1 installed S-4/23

Why does Music Choice look so blurry on both my TVs? It's seriously fuzzy and difficult to look at/have on.

Sukibeans - Are the music choice channels the only ones having a "blurry" issue? Do you hear any audio issues when the channels are on? I will send you a PM to gather account level information if you continue to have issues 

Regular Contributor

@Ncad0220 wrote:
We've had x1 boxes since December, and we love them. We have and minor issues with them. One problem we have is, my username comes up twice on all our apps. They also have occasional lag issues but usually only for 3-5 seconds. I have gotten hdmi to support 5.1 but only in 720p. The other major problem we have is, the box in the master bedroom had problems with freezing often. It would only display the channel logo, and of I changed the channel you would get one frame of video then it would freeze for about 20 seconds and go back to the channel logo. The only fix was a hard reset. T combat this I put in a brand new cable line and a different box, that worked perfectly. The new box had the same problems in this room and the old box worked fine in a different room I switched everything, all the cable lines to the box and have tried different jacks. I do not understand this problem at all.
I also have a few questions.
Are there any new apps that will come out for the box( I'm routing for hulu plus)
Will we be able to access more tuners soon
Will the hdmi input ports be operational at any time
What new features are planned for the box( tell me even the smallest detail, I love to know this stuff)
I can send a PM with more details and questions
Ncad0220

Ncad0220 - thank you for your post. I will send you a PM to gather some account level info, but wanted to respond to some of your questions/comments. 

re: More apps - I shared your Hulu plus suggestion with our product management team. 

re: tuners - Our Product Management & Development organization is aware of the need to increase the number of tuners available for recording and viewing, but I do not have any updates on when that might be available. I will let them know about your comment here as well.

Contributor

Re: X1 Forum - Rebooting

Ted/Tara

I have been very patient and supportive of X1, but I have a rebellion brewing at the house.  I have 5 X1 boxes and freezing for no apparent reason or getting a message cannot connect is increasing in frequency.  Nothing like watching your favorite program and you have to reboot.  Which would not be a problem except for the 5-15 minutes it takes.  You would think if you are just watching TV it would just work.  You need to work on stability and reliability.  This is getting very close to where I may have to pull the boxes.

Tom

Regular Contributor

I just got back from a few days away and see a new XRE Sever (4317 Z.0.11)  and a new STB version dated 4/12.  Anyone happen to notice a day these came online?

What is new in these builds?  I would love to hear about the well known problems from all to see what the community is reporting for what was addressed.

Regular Contributor

Two issues that need to be addressed, please:

1) Box says it is Surround but in fact is Stereo.  I have to toggle the setting almost every evening when we start to watch TV to get Surround to re-active.  I don't know what is making this setting change while we sleep or are at work but this is a bug that needs to be addressed.

2) Percentage Full is useless - since it also includes Deleted (but not erased) shows.  What it needs to indicate is how much space is available for New Recordings along side of Un-Watched Recordings. As it stands, we have to - One BY One - manually erase all the "deleted" shows to find out how full of Un-Watched programs the box really is.  Does anyone actually find this a useful feature? 

The box will indicate it is 89% full when 70% of that is "Deleted Recordings" that we don't care about - otherwise we wouldn't have deleted them.  Some sort of "Empty the Trash" feature would at least be helpful to get rid of that stuff all at once.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

dL codes?

This morning around 7:15 ET, my X1 DVR showed "dL18" instead of the clock. I turned the TV and box on, and they seemed to work fine, but I unplugged the box to reset it anyway. When it came back up to speed, it showed a series of dL codes like dL33, dL66, dL68, and with a few minutes it was back to showing the time. 

Just now I searched the forums and found questions about these dL messages, with responses indicating it means the box is downloading a software update. And warning that resetting the box while it shows dL could disable it. Is that the case for what I saw this morning, with the count-up being a percentage complete? How am I supposed to know what these codes mean, especially when I've never seen them for software updates before (at least never during normal waking hours)? 

Product suggestion: if the dL is supposed to show a download / update while I don't have the TV on, you should also provide a small, perhaps semi-opaque message on-screen when I turn the TV on. You can warn me not to restart my cable box. You could put a percent complete number on screen, too, and I'll quickly associate it with the dL number, and then I won't have to guess at what the heck your codes mean when I haven't even had my coffee yet

Regular Contributor

KaraT, the tuner issue is a very important one for Comcast AND its customers.  if this X series is to be the future of XFINITY TV you must provide more tuners.  i have heard that the hardware in the X1 box may be capable of up to SIX tuners.  can you verify this?  and i surely do not understand why you cannot reveal what the Product Mgmt team's position is on this subject.  at least how many and approximately when.  but i suppose testing must occur for thousands of hours on end to see if the hardware/firmware/software can manage the stress.  of course this should have been done a long time ago.  anyway please see what you can do about giving us more info on this.   thank you.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Will the DCH or DCT boxes work with the X1 software?

Frequent Visitor

I'm in the Arlington, VA area, still using an ancient SA 8300HD box. I found out X1 was going to be in my area starting today, so I contacted customer service.

I've been stonewalled though because I'm not a Triple Play customer.

When will these boxes be available for double play customers? Or is there any other way I can get one? I'm tired of feeling like a 2nd Class Customer to Comcast as stuff like Guide 2.0 gets rolled out to other areas first, and now being told that I'm not eligible for decent equipment because I don't pay enough. Meanwhile competing companies like DirectTV (with Genie) and Dish (with Hopper) keep upping their game. How long am I stuck with a DVR that feels like it's a relic from the Clinton administration?

Diamond Problem Solver

@reggie77 wrote:

Will the DCH or DCT boxes work with the X1 software?

None of the DCT and DCH boxes will be capable of X1. 

Regular Contributor

Looks like my DVR service just went out again. Can't access anything but, priority manager. Anybody else?
Jerry
Regular Contributor

Re: dL codes?

@ebow wrote:

This morning around 7:15 ET, my X1 DVR showed "dL18" instead of the clock. I turned the TV and box on, and they seemed to work fine, but I unplugged the box to reset it anyway. When it came back up to speed, it showed a series of dL codes like dL33, dL66, dL68, and with a few minutes it was back to showing the time. 

Just now I searched the forums and found questions about these dL messages, with responses indicating it means the box is downloading a software update. And warning that resetting the box while it shows dL could disable it. Is that the case for what I saw this morning, with the count-up being a percentage complete? How am I supposed to know what these codes mean, especially when I've never seen them for software updates before (at least never during normal waking hours)? 

Product suggestion: if the dL is supposed to show a download / update while I don't have the TV on, you should also provide a small, perhaps semi-opaque message on-screen when I turn the TV on. You can warn me not to restart my cable box. You could put a percent complete number on screen, too, and I'll quickly associate it with the dL number, and then I won't have to guess at what the heck your codes mean when I haven't even had my coffee yet

Thanks for your question, ebow. I've confirmed with the product management team that the number is associated with the % complete. During a download, you should be able to access your telelvision and DVR recordings. Once the download is complete, your box may need to restart itself.

I've shared your feedback about the messaging during downloads to avoid further confusion. thank you! 

Regular Contributor

@davephillips41 wrote:
When will the X1 boxes be available in Connecticut. I'm tired of the old school Comcast guide that's years old.

X1 Availability: Unfortunately, I do not have any information regarding X1 deployment. To determine if you are eligible, I suggest you call 1-800-XFINITY to verify if/when X1 will be available in your area.  

Regular Contributor

@macnbc wrote:

I'm in the Arlington, VA area, still using an ancient SA 8300HD box. I found out X1 was going to be in my area starting today, so I contacted customer service.

I've been stonewalled though because I'm not a Triple Play customer.

When will these boxes be available for double play customers? Or is there any other way I can get one? I'm tired of feeling like a 2nd Class Customer to Comcast as stuff like Guide 2.0 gets rolled out to other areas first, and now being told that I'm not eligible for decent equipment because I don't pay enough. Meanwhile competing companies like DirectTV (with Genie) and Dish (with Hopper) keep upping their game. How long am I stuck with a DVR that feels like it's a relic from the Clinton administration?

macnbc - thank you for your question. Each market in the Comcast footprint has a different deployment strategy for X1. Unfortunately, I am not privvy to this information regarding X1 roll out. To determine if X1 is eligible for double or single play customers, I suggest you call 1-800-XFINITY to verify if/when X1 will be available in your area.  

Problem Solver

@thoma wrote:

Ted/Tara

I have been very patient and supportive of X1, but I have a rebellion brewing at the house.  I have 5 X1 boxes and freezing for no apparent reason or getting a message cannot connect is increasing in frequency.  Nothing like watching your favorite program and you have to reboot.  Which would not be a problem except for the 5-15 minutes it takes.  You would think if you are just watching TV it would just work.  You need to work on stability and reliability.  This is getting very close to where I may have to pull the boxes.

Tom

Strange, I can't say that I've seen the box reboot on its own while it was actually in use.  I've certainly have seen it get stuck once in a rare while, but not reboot.  And, whever it does reboot--generally when I would reboot it--it's usually a process that takes around 3 minutes or so, maybe up to 5 at most, but never beyond 5 in the many many times that I've done it.

Problem Solver

@sammsterling wrote:

KaraT, the tuner issue is a very important one for Comcast AND its customers.  if this X series is to be the future of XFINITY TV you must provide more tuners.  i have heard that the hardware in the X1 box may be capable of up to SIX tuners.  can you verify this?  and i surely do not understand why you cannot reveal what the Product Mgmt team's position is on this subject.  at least how many and approximately when.  but i suppose testing must occur for thousands of hours on end to see if the hardware/firmware/software can manage the stress.  of course this should have been done a long time ago.  anyway please see what you can do about giving us more info on this.   thank you.

The X1 DVR box definitely has support for at least 4 tuners, but they aren't all activated yet--right now you basically just have 3 where 2 can record at the same time and 1 can be used for watching something else simultaneously.  Support for the additional tuners would likely require much more infrastructure support which is likely why it's taking some time before they are enabled, considering there still seems to be a fair amount of issues to deal with even with the few tuners that are available now.  So something that should be coming in the not too far off future, but likely not very soon.

Problem Solver

@HD-Tech wrote:

I just got back from a few days away and see a new XRE Sever (4317 Z.0.11)  and a new STB version dated 4/12.  Anyone happen to notice a day these came online?

What is new in these builds?  I would love to hear about the well known problems from all to see what the community is reporting for what was addressed.

Yeah, definitely appears that there was a server/cloud update as well as a box softare/firmware update as well.  Given that these appear to be minor version (if not essentially patch) updates, more than likely they are there to address some stability and/or performance issues, along with some bug fixes here and there probably.

Frequent Visitor

Percentage used

I am still having problems with the percentage of memory I have used.  We have two X1 boxes; they both display about 78% to 92% full when I have about 20 hours of High Def programs recorded on each one.   The DVR Manager on the Xfinity website shows about 45% to 50% full on each box.  The Comcast rep told me that I should get 60 hours of high def per box which would mean that I should have only about 33% used.  Which numbers should I believe?  

Regular Contributor

Re: Percentage used

@donald1 wrote:

I am still having problems with the percentage of memory I have used.  We have two X1 boxes; they both display about 78% to 92% full when I have about 20 hours of High Def programs recorded on each one.   The DVR Manager on the Xfinity website shows about 45% to 50% full on each box.  The Comcast rep told me that I should get 60 hours of high def per box which would mean that I should have only about 33% used.  Which numbers should I believe?  

Go into Deleted and ERASE them all one by one (yep - nuts, right?) - then see how much space it says you have.

The box could should 90% full when 90% of that is simply deleted recordings.  Why it works like this is a mystery. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Percentage used

@screenname137 wrote:

Go into Deleted and ERASE them all one by one (yep - nuts, right?) - then see how much space it says you have.

The box could should 90% full when 90% of that is simply deleted recordings.  Why it works like this is a mystery. 

Tip: use the 'D' button to make deleting easier / faster. 

In my experience, erasing shows from the Deleted list can cause the displayed disk space number to go up or down. It's inconsistent. 

Frequent Visitor

i just had two x1  boxes installed, one dvr/one not.  they seem to work fine.

the installer told me the 'old' remote controls would work with these new boxes, but they dont (should have checked before he left, but it took over 2 hours for him to get them working, so i was short of time)

i have the 'red ok button' versions.  how can i get them to work with these new x1 boxes?  they said they didnt have any more XR2 remotes, so getting another isnt an option at this point.

thanks

Tags (3)
Contributor

Sorry, I would prefer a response from Comcast.  As I write this repsone to you, the X1 box is rebooting onits own.   First the lights come on and then the reboot.  You know the big red XFINITY that appears on the TV screen with the four RED dots.  And the wording that says Loading....

After all i was just sitting here watching TV.  Did not do a thing to start a feature to interupt by TV viewing experience.  X1 is becoming a real joke.  Or bad joke.

Tom

Problem Solver

@mark95032 wrote:

the installer told me the 'old' remote controls would work with these new boxes, but they dont (should have checked before he left, but it took over 2 hours for him to get them working, so i was short of time)

i have the 'red ok button' versions.  how can i get them to work with these new x1 boxes?  they said they didnt have any more XR2 remotes, so getting another isnt an option at this point.

thanks

Don't think the old remotes can work with the X1 boxes at all.  Strange that they would even suggest that.  And they really shouldn't be installing boxes without providing actual working remote controls that are meant for them.

Frequent Visitor

@C_DM wrote:

@mark95032 wrote:

thanks

Don't think the old remotes can work with the X1 boxes at all.  Strange that they would even suggest that.  And they really shouldn't be installing boxes without providing actual working remote controls that are meant for them.

upon reading my post i see that i said what i meant, but it wasnt clear

i DO have the one remote that comes with each box.  what i DONT have are any EXTRA XR2 remotes because they said they didnt have any more of them to give out.    sorry for the confusion.

in the meantime, i now have most all of the old remote working.  a relatively simple reprogram has virtually all of the buttons functional.

Problem Solver

@mark95032 wrote:

@C_DM wrote:

@mark95032 wrote:

thanks

upon reading my post i see that i said what i meant, but it wasnt clear

i DO have the one remote that comes with each box.  what i DONT have are any EXTRA XR2 remotes because they said they didnt have any more of them to give out.    sorry for the confusion.

in the meantime, i now have most all of the old remote working.  a relatively simple reprogram has virtually all of the buttons functional.

That's interesting to hear about the old remotes--I was definitely told otherwise (that they wouldn't work).

What got them (mostly) working--what process/codes/etc.?  What doesn't seem to be working?

Contributor

I can confirm the old remote with the red OK/select button works. I did nothing to change settings. Note not all buttons work as the labels are different.
Contributor

xr2 remote question/enhancement request

I have the xr2 set so that when I power on, my TV ,x1box and avr all power on at once. I use my avr for volume. Why doesn't the power off turn off my avr? Its the only function I miss with the old remote.

Has anyone had any luck with this or is it just my brand/model avr with the issue?

Thanks
Frequent Visitor

Comcast just now told me that the silver with red ok button will NOT work

but the grey remote will

fyi

@Dillinger wrote:
I can confirm the old remote with the red OK/select button works. I did nothing to change settings. Note not all buttons work as the labels are different.

Contributor

I have two old remotes. Maybe they are grey and not silver. They work on both DVR and nondvr x1 boxes.as I said not all buttons work.I prefer the new remote. Just wish it turned off my avr.

Edit... I confirmed its the platinum silver remote.