Community Forum

X1 Forum

Contributor

Re: X1 Forum

@HD-Tech wrote:

My box is back at it again. Stuck on the current channel, can't bring up anything (guide, info, menu, etc).  Every interaction with the box says:

(Black background with white text)

(Top line is a white triangle with an exclamation point in it)

"Sorry, we are unable to access

you XFINITIY TV service right

now. Please try again later.

If this issue lasts for more than a few minutes,

please contact Customer Care at

1-877-896-8678, or visit xfinity.com/x1"

My only choices are to leave it alone as usually it goes away (several hours).  Or I can reboot the box (power cord) and come back to the same error but no channel behind it. Sometimes multiple reboots (3-5) can work as well. 

HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER SEEN THIS?  I get this just about every day, usually a couple of time per day though I had 2 clean days prior to today.   I have another box without a problem.

I had that problem with a non-dvr box. I called it in several times, they tried to refresh and "bump" the box several times, but the server could not "find" the box. Eventually, they replaced the box and that solved that problem.

New Poster

Mine is back off again as well. I just spent about 30 minutes on the phone with X-end-ity (for me anyway) & it is still not working - they are sending someone out here this week. Thank GOODNESS I am moving at the end of May - & going back to DISH. I had DISH for almost 10 years & can count on one hand the times we had issues. I have had X-end-ity for less than 5 months & have already exceeded the issues I had with DISH.  Good luck!

New Poster

So I just moved a few days ago and had xfinity installed at my new place, as part of triple play with an X1 box.

I can see that the X1 interface holds so much promise over the Motorola 3400 box I was using just a few days ago, but as with most new technologies there are a lot of wrinkles to iron out.  The operation is definitely smoother (no missed inputs from the remote yet).

The good:

a) I like being able to search using 0-9 to spell like on a phone.  Really speeds up searches.  I suggest bluetooth hardware for next generation to allow the use of wireless keyboards.  Or maybe a USB bluetooth dongle since the current boxes all have USB ports.

b) I also like the new "last" dialog that shows the previous 9 channels.  For a serial channel surfer like me, this is awesome! 

The bad:

I've had to open 4 tickets in the last 30 hours for DVR issues.  In no particular order, here are some of the problems:

1) for the first two days, I got a message that "DVR service was unavailable".  This suggests that DVR service is controlled "in the cloud".  If that's true, then there should be absolutely no limitation on the number of shows I can record simultaneously.  Nor should there be any limit to show storage.  All 3 service reps informed me that Comcast has been battling cloud-based DVR issues for "about 3 days" which conveniently is exactly when my service started.  I'll be checking twitter to see if anyone else is actually having problems.

2) manuals are horribly lacking, little more than advertisements for features.  A/B/C/D keys on the XR2 remote *need* some documentation to explain what they do and where.  Their function changes in each screen!

3) my dvr is not accessible through the website, nor the Xfinity connect mobile apps

4) DVR service has been "reinstated", but recordings just don't seem to work.  I set up several series, including one for saturday night live last night, and nothing recorded.  Service rep told me that some people are experiencing an issue where the show records but doesn't show up in the list.  Again, lack of consistency between cloud-based and local-based requirements.

5) pandora app returns an authentication error

6) xfinity tutorial videos won't play and aren't available on the website

The ugly:

A) I like that I get to see more channels at a time in the guide, but I miss the ability to see the description of each show as I highlight it.  Going to separate screen adds several steps to trying to decide if I want to record something or not.

no way to delete locations from the traffic app

C) series priority interface takes a lot more work to re-arrange, and none of the selections are intuititve

D) options for recording series are different depending on whether you select it from the guide or search for the show manually.

Would love to participate in some user research with Comcast!  Again, I see so much promise with this but its clearly being held up by network issues and run-of-the-mill software bugs.  Please keep trying.

Most Valued Poster

@oakleyposterboy wrote:

Again, I see so much promise with this but its clearly being held up by network issues and run-of-the-mill software bugs.  Please keep trying.

Actually Comcast hasn't promised a whole lot, and from what I read here they are certainly delivering on that.  

Problem Solver

@oakleyposterboy wrote:

So I just moved a few days ago and had xfinity installed at my new place, as part of triple play with an X1 box.

I can see that the X1 interface holds so much promise over the Motorola 3400 box I was using just a few days ago, but as with most new technologies there are a lot of wrinkles to iron out.  The operation is definitely smoother (no missed inputs from the remote yet).

The good:

a) I like being able to search using 0-9 to spell like on a phone.  Really speeds up searches.  I suggest bluetooth hardware for next generation to allow the use of wireless keyboards.  Or maybe a USB bluetooth dongle since the current boxes all have USB ports.

b) I also like the new "last" dialog that shows the previous 9 channels.  For a serial channel surfer like me, this is awesome! 

The bad:

I've had to open 4 tickets in the last 30 hours for DVR issues.  In no particular order, here are some of the problems:

1) for the first two days, I got a message that "DVR service was unavailable".  This suggests that DVR service is controlled "in the cloud".  If that's true, then there should be absolutely no limitation on the number of shows I can record simultaneously.  Nor should there be any limit to show storage.  All 3 service reps informed me that Comcast has been battling cloud-based DVR issues for "about 3 days" which conveniently is exactly when my service started.  I'll be checking twitter to see if anyone else is actually having problems.

2) manuals are horribly lacking, little more than advertisements for features.  A/B/C/D keys on the XR2 remote *need* some documentation to explain what they do and where.  Their function changes in each screen!

3) my dvr is not accessible through the website, nor the Xfinity connect mobile apps

4) DVR service has been "reinstated", but recordings just don't seem to work.  I set up several series, including one for saturday night live last night, and nothing recorded.  Service rep told me that some people are experiencing an issue where the show records but doesn't show up in the list.  Again, lack of consistency between cloud-based and local-based requirements.

5) pandora app returns an authentication error

6) xfinity tutorial videos won't play and aren't available on the website

The ugly:

A) I like that I get to see more channels at a time in the guide, but I miss the ability to see the description of each show as I highlight it.  Going to separate screen adds several steps to trying to decide if I want to record something or not.

no way to delete locations from the traffic app

C) series priority interface takes a lot more work to re-arrange, and none of the selections are intuititve

D) options for recording series are different depending on whether you select it from the guide or search for the show manually.

Would love to participate in some user research with Comcast!  Again, I see so much promise with this but its clearly being held up by network issues and run-of-the-mill software bugs.  Please keep trying.

A few things that might be of some help:

The first post in this thread has some helful links in relation to the X1 platform, so those might be good to check out.  There's also http://xfinity.comcast.net/x1/ which has some more information, an FAQ section, and at least one related video, if not a few more.

The full remote features aren't really described in the manuals it seems, although a number of posts in this thread talk about different features of it and some of the buttons that haven't really been documented.  It's a bit of a task to look through a long thread such as this one, but might be worthwhile as far as gathering some useful tips here and there.

As far as I recall, if you are in the guide and you select a particular show or program, if you pause on that guide "cell" with the selection on it, you will get a "pop-up bubble" with some limited description of it, at least sometimes saving you the trouble of going to the next page to see more information.

And, yes, unfortunately with a whole new box, platform, and infrastructure behind it, it will take some time for issues to be sorted out as they will pop up here and there.  There was definitely a large DVR related outage recently, and while the vast majroity are back to normal, there are definitely some who have issues here and there.  Comcast is definitely working on it all, but it can take time, again, unfortunately.

Regular Contributor

Re: Question about X1 Video Outputs

@sdjs wrote:

When the X1's video output is set to 1080p which the TV supports. with 1080p set is that the output resolution for the Audio/Video plugs (is the output to the Audio/Video plugs automatically lowered to Standard Definition? does the X1 output the same audio/video to both the plugs and HDMI at the same time?) do the higher settings only apply to HDMI out?  For grins I tried setting the X1 to 480i did a reset with the remote and still only had a white screen with audio when the DVDRW is selected as the TV's input.

Any suggestions would be welecomed

Thank You

Thanks, sdjs, for your question. Video is output to all ports – but may be in a different resolution depending on the setting and the port capabilities.  The HDMI and Component cable output resolutions are tied to the device setting.  The composite and rf cable both output in 480i only.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Update - April 6, 2013

@Xfininut wrote:
As of today, only my Friday (4/12) recordings are showing up in my DVR list. All my other recordings from the previous weeks are not listed. I know they are still there because it shows ~45%. Please fix this so that I can watch those shows. Reboot/reset/power cycle have not fixed the problem.

Xfininut - I will send you a PM to gather account level information regarding your DVR issues. 

Regular Contributor

@Hermannjw wrote:

Same here!  All my recorded shows disappeared on Friday.  Rebooted several times with no results.  It would be nice if Comcast gave all X1 users a daily update on their activities and an automatic rebate as compensation!

Hermannjw - I will send you a PM to gather account level information. 

Regular Contributor

Hi Kara,

Same problem here, but I used my older DVR to record the same shows.  Things seem to be back to normal for me.  I'm not worried about getting those shows back.  This was just a FYI for you.

Thanks, Jerry

Regular Contributor

@jerrylyons wrote:

Hi Kara,

Same problem here, but I used my older DVR to record the same shows.  Things seem to be back to normal for me.  I'm not worried about getting those shows back.  This was just a FYI for you.

Thanks, Jerry

Much appreciated, Jerry. Please keep the updates/suggestions/questions coming. 

Regular Contributor

@sdjs wrote:

Does anyone know if the Audio/Video outputs should be active and useable at the same time as the HDMI

Thanks for your question, sdjs. Yes – HDMI and other A/V ports can be used at same time.

Frequent Visitor

I have 1 question about the X1 Boxes, and 1 question about Comcast's DVR capabilities in general.

1. Are the X1 boxes officially compatible with any external hard-drives yet? What is the largest compatible external hard-drive?

2. With the Comcast DVR service, am I able to sort my saved shows by Season & Epsiode # within series?

Right now all I see is sort by date (recorded) and alphabetically by title. I would love to be able to see my shows that are saved listed chronologically by original air date or position in the season.

If the answer to #2 is a "No" where can I go to strongly suggest this feature. This seems like a fairly minor software issue, and an option that should be readily available to the watcher.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

@Phil7890 wrote:

I have 1 question about the X1 Boxes, and 1 question about Comcast's DVR capabilities in general.

1. Are the X1 boxes officially compatible with any external hard-drives yet? What is the largest compatible external hard-drive?

2. With the Comcast DVR service, am I able to sort my saved shows by Season & Epsiode # within series?

Right now all I see is sort by date (recorded) and alphabetically by title. I would love to be able to see my shows that are saved listed chronologically by original air date or position in the season.

If the answer to #2 is a "No" where can I go to strongly suggest this feature. This seems like a fairly minor software issue, and an option that should be readily available to the watcher.

Thanks

Thanks, Phil7890, for your questions. 

1. No, the X1 boxes are not compatible with external hard drives at this time

2. No, as you described, sorting is limited to date recorded or title. I've shared this great feedback with the product management team.

- Kara 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you Kara.

1. Is the lack of compatibility with external hard-drives a hardware constraint or a software constraint that could be removed in future updates? I know the X1 is a fairly new device and frequent updates are still being released.

2. If this option is in fact an easy programming fix is there any chance it gets rolled out in its own update or would it have to wait to be packaged with a more substantial update?

What has the general time frame of updates for the X1 been? I have heard they are frequent but does that mean like 2-3 a week or more like 1 every month?

Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

The composite and rf cable both output in 480i only.

Not really. The rf cable output will change screen size, depending on the resolution setting with a non-digital TV.  

Problem Solver

@Phil7890 wrote:

Thank you Kara.

1. Is the lack of compatibility with external hard-drives a hardware constraint or a software constraint that could be removed in future updates? I know the X1 is a fairly new device and frequent updates are still being released.

2. If this option is in fact an easy programming fix is there any chance it gets rolled out in its own update or would it have to wait to be packaged with a more substantial update?

What has the general time frame of updates for the X1 been? I have heard they are frequent but does that mean like 2-3 a week or more like 1 every month?

The X1 box comes with a 1 TB drive, so realistically it's still being seen as being a fair bit of space for DVR functionality.   That likely doesn't prevent the ability to introduce support for an external drive, but even if that comes around it likely won't be all that soon.

As for filtering options, there are unfortunately much simpler things that the box is still missing (like being able to skip a day ahead in the guide easily, for example) or that aren't even really working or working properly (like the recording light on the box).  It would seem that some basic things like that would still need to be addressed before other more "complex"/"obscure" ones (at least in comparison).

As for updates, they seem to come out in random--sometimes there might not be much for a few weeks or even month or so, and other times there might be a few during a single week--often can depend if there are issues that are in need of being addressed or something like that.  Sometimes the updates are on the larger side, and other times it's only one or two small things that are fixed or introduced.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I was just away for three days, and it seems all my shows recorded  correctly, and the percentage used seems approprite as well. Deep sigh of relief. 

Brad

Frequent Visitor

Had to reboot my X1 box in the family room twice last night:

1: Remote stopped responding (press a button and the power light on the remote flashed green then red)

2: Guide ghosting on the right hand side of the screen

Very frustrating...

At this point Comcast should give free cable tv service to anyone with a X1 box, then I wouldn't be as irritated with the service that I have received since I converted.

Frequent Visitor

I am also happy to report that the iphone app that you can use to either watch a show (app called infinity player) and the app called (infinity remote) are now working in the voorhees nj area. While using the infiniity tv remote app to set up recordings. activate a series of recordings or cancel recordings or a series, make sure that the channel number on your iphone matches the channel number on your tv or you will get an error message.

New Poster

Where are my favorites?  Cable boxes have had favorite lists for years, but not now?  Really, why doesn't the x1 box support favorite lists!  Every time I look at the Guide I see every channel.  I can filter to HD or Premium but still see more than what I want.  What gives?

Regular Contributor

@wmapple wrote:

Where are my favorites?  Cable boxes have had favorite lists for years, but not now?  Really, why doesn't the x1 box support favorite lists!  Every time I look at the Guide I see every channel.  I can filter to HD or Premium but still see more than what I want.  What gives?

See this thread: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/set-favorite-channels-on-X1-set-top-box/m-p/152...

New Poster

Thank you so much....   Even tech support told me yesterday that you couldn't have favorites on the x1!

1. Go to the full-screen guide
  2. On the channel you want to set as a favorite, press the remote's left arrow button to highlight the channel name
  3. Press the Info button
  4. On the channel info screen, select and click the on-screen button for "favorite"
  5. Press the remote's left arrow button to get back to the guide
  6. Repeat
Regular Contributor

OK, so once you do this to set up your favorites, how do you find them? I'm not seeing a menu tab or anything...must be missing something obvious...

Problem Solver

@bradbortner wrote:

OK, so once you do this to set up your favorites, how do you find them? I'm not seeing a menu tab or anything...must be missing something obvious...

I believe once you are in the (large) guide there is a filter button that you can use (I think the A button on the remote) and then select favorites from there.

Frequent Visitor

I have a new X1 DVR question (Might be a Comcast-wide DVR question)

When I choose to record a series I have 2 options "Record New Episodes Only" and "Record all Episodes". If I choose "Record all Episodes" will I get repeats of the same episode or will my DVR know enough to check and make sure that I don't already have a copy of the episode saved?

am trying to record a show that is on in syndication multiple days per week, episodes per day, and multiple channels, and I would rather not have to sort through all the episodes deleting duplicates.

Thanks in advance.

Regular Contributor

@Phil7890 wrote:

Thank you Kara.

Phil - at this time, it is a software constraint on the platform. I am unable to confirm how this would be released to production (on its own versus a substantial updates). The release schedule is roughly on a monthly basis, however off cycle releases occur as needed. 

Regular Contributor

@wmapple wrote:

wmapple - Favorite channels are available in X1. If you are in the Guide, scroll left to the channel logo and hit the "Info" button. In the Channel Info screen you will see the "Favorite" button. 

To filter on your Guide, hit the A (yellow) button on your remote and select "Favorites" from the options. 

You can also favorite personalities, series and sport teams. If you search for an actor or program, hit "OK", you will see the Favorite button on the info page. 

To find your favorite list, hit XFINITY, go to On Demand section, and select "Favorites" 

Hope this helps!

Regular Contributor

@bradbortner wrote:

To find your favorite list, hit the XFINITY button on your remote, go to On Demand section, and select "Favorites" 

New Poster

My X1 boxes periodically show the 'unable to access your TV ... ' Wondering if this is a software or firmware issue, if it will ever be fixed? Not used to cable being so... touchy.

Also wondering when I will have any room DVR... I was told I would have it, I was also told it will be coming soon with a software update, but how long?

So far the TV service has been below average from my experience.

New Poster

Well..my X1 box now sends nothing to the TV.  Very helpful tech support over the phone walked me through what seemed to be all of the available tricks (Exit x3 7-2-0, etc.) and still, no picture, no red xfinity splash screen, no audio or video via HDMI or component.  The clock shows a display indicating a cycle through the boot sequence, but nothing's actually happening.  Tech coming to the house Thursday morning...good thing everyone's been nice because this is the fourth time this thing has required a call in the less than three months I've had it installed.

Regular Contributor

Actually, this is the one way to find favorites offered so far that does not work. If you just have channel favorites, they don't show up in the on demand favorites list. 

It does work to hit A from the guide and pick favorites, or use a filter when using universal search.

Of course, all of this is a bit convoluted. Favorites should take at much one button access, or it kind of misses the point.....

Still, at least we now all know a four button, instead of one button, way of capturing them. Hopefully in future revs someone who khows something about human factors testing in software will make things reasonable. 

Regular Contributor

@golfgreg74 wrote:

Had to reboot my X1 box in the family room twice last night:

1: Remote stopped responding (press a button and the power light on the remote flashed green then red)

2: Guide ghosting on the right hand side of the screen

Very frustrating...

At this point Comcast should give free cable tv service to anyone with a X1 box, then I wouldn't be as irritated with the service that I have received since I converted.

Golfgreg74 - re: comment #1 - 

The device you are paired with may not be powered on or you might be out of communication range. Make sure the device is powered on and move closer to the device. If this does not work, try re-pairing your remote by following the instructions in “Installing your digital set-top box or DTA out of sight.

http://media2.comcast.net/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/remotes/XR2_RemoteControl_rev_122911...

I have escalated your ghosting issue (comment #2)

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

@jakewillcooper wrote:

My X1 boxes periodically show the 'unable to access your TV ... ' Wondering if this is a software or firmware issue, if it will ever be fixed? Not used to cable being so... touchy.

Also wondering when I will have any room DVR... I was told I would have it, I was also told it will be coming soon with a software update, but how long?

So far the TV service has been below average from my experience.

Thanks for your post, jakewillcooper.

Are you able to access your TV today? If not, please send me a PM with your account information (account number or home telephone number) and I can escalate for you. 

Re: Anyroom DVR: Currently, anyroom DVR is not available on the X1 Platform. Our Product Management & Development organization is aware of the need for anyroom DVR, but I do not have any updates on when that might be available. I will let them know about your comment here as well.

Contributor

XG-1 and Xfinity website, iOS/Android app

At some point in the last week (or two) I lost the ability to schedule recording on XG-1 remotely via the website; it no longer shows up as an available device in the Xfinity TV app on iOS/Android either. Meanwhile the legacy Motorola DCH3416 still works as expected with the website and mobile apps. Pandora no longer works on the XG-1 and tells me it's not set up. On x1.comcast.net/webportal/home, under Device Settings, it says "We're sorry, but no devices were found". Otherwise the device has been working well. It has been rebooted a couple of times since this problem was first discovered. Has anyone else encountered this issue before? Thanks...

Regular Contributor

@Phil7890 wrote:

I have a new X1 DVR question (Might be a Comcast-wide DVR question)

When I choose to record a series I have 2 options "Record New Episodes Only" and "Record all Episodes". If I choose "Record all Episodes" will I get repeats of the same episode or will my DVR know enough to check and make sure that I don't already have a copy of the episode saved?

am trying to record a show that is on in syndication multiple days per week, episodes per day, and multiple channels, and I would rather not have to sort through all the episodes deleting duplicates.

Thanks in advance.

Phil7890 - With the "Record all Episodes" option, you shouldn’t as there is a duplicate recording rule in the scheduler that will not record a program if it had been recorded in the last 90 days. Hope this answers your question!

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT

Can you tell us if Comcast is aware of the sound issues with the X1 box?

There are 3 issues going on.

1. The sound keeps going on and off for a split second at random times. And it happens a lot!!

2. Under the audio settings I have selected "Surround Sound" however it keeps swithing to "Stereo" on my 5.1 Receiver at random times!

3. Also a lot of TV Shows that are broadcasted in 5.1 are not coming though my speakers as 5.1 sound!

The sound cuts out with both HDMI and optical cables. And my Receiver changing on its own from "Surrond Sound" to "Stereo" only when using HDMI cable. I do not have this issue when using optical cable.

I would like to know if these 2 issues can and willbe fixed in a future software update? Or it it a hardware issue and will need a new improved box?

It's really driving the whole family insane! Smiley Sad

Thanks 

New Poster

I just got setup with Comcast TV today, I have the dreaded 2001 blue channel guide(Old School).

Is X1 mainly rolled out to new customers only? Does anyone know if Michigan has X1 yet?

I'm coming from Direct TV and my guide was awesome with DTV... This is a major downgrade.

Will I have to purchase a new box to get X1 when its available? If thats so, would I be best canceling the service before I'm locked in?

Contributor

X1 caller id

Is the caller id function available in all markets yet? I have it set online and on box to display but nothing pops up when phone rings. I have triple play.
Regular Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@ComcastKaraT

There are 2 issues going on.

1. The sound keeps going on and off for a split second at random times. And it happens a lot!!

2. Under the audio settings I have selected "Surround Sound" however it keeps swithing to "Stereo" on my 5.1 Receiver at random times!

3. Also a lot of TV Shows that are broadcasted in 5.1 are not coming though my speakers as 5.1 sound!

The sound cuts out with both HDMI and optical cables. And my Receiver changing on its own from "Surrond Sound" to "Stereo" only when using HDMI cable. I do not have this issue when using optical cable.

I would like to know if these 2 issues can and willbe fixed in a future software update? Or it it a hardware issue and will need a new improved box?

Thanks 

thanks, gate1975mlm - I will escalate and try to get an update for you. regarding issue #1 - do you notice this sound issue while watching DVR, On Demand or live tv OR does it happen with any type of playback?

Regular Contributor

@Jonger1150 wrote:

I just got setup with Comcast TV today, I have the dreaded 2001 blue channel guide(Old School).

Is X1 mainly rolled out to new customers only? Does anyone know if Michigan has X1 yet?

I'm coming from Direct TV and my guide was awesome with DTV... This is a major downgrade.

Will I have to purchase a new box to get X1 when its available? If thats so, would I be best canceling the service before I'm locked in?

X1 Availability: Unfortunately, I do not have any information regarding X1 deployment. To determine if you are eligible, I suggest you call 1-800-XFINITY to verify if/when X1 will be available in your area.  

To get the X1 interface, you will have to get new box(es), which are currently intalled by technicians. 

Regular Contributor

Its happens with DVR Recordings and Live TV for sure.

I do not watch a ton of On Demand so I can not say for sure if it happens during On Demand.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 caller id

@Dillinger wrote:
Is the caller id function available in all markets yet? I have it set online and on box to display but nothing pops up when phone rings. I have triple play.
X1 does support Caller ID and Text Message Notifications. Please ensure Caller ID is enabled in Settings. 

Press XFINITY, go to Settings icon -> Preferences -> Notifications -> Caller ID Notifications should be set to "on"

If you are still having problems with Caller ID, please call 1-800-COMCAST for further assistance.

Contributor

Gate1975mlm and kara. I also have this same sound problem. I reported it earlier on... My x1 is connected to a onkyo av receiver (tx-nr818). I've tried passing audio through both HDMI and optical and it still drops randomly. It always recovers but just so annoying. Definitely occurs on both DVR and live tv. X1 is set to surround. I really would like this looked into.

Gate, ive also noticed There are programs (usually commercials) that broadcast in 5.1 (my receiver sees it as 5.1) yet only produce sound over my front two channels (nothing from center at all).
Regular Contributor

Was on the phone with X1 support and he said another software update wiil be released soon and "Should" fix most of if not all of the frezzing issues we all have been seeing.

Lets hope this is true! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

@ComcastKaraT

There are 3 issues going on.

Thanks 

I believe the box switches back to Stereo whenever an update is applied - and the settings will not reflect this.  Toggling the setting to Stereo and back to Surround will restore surround.  This is what I have seen since day 1.  Although while watching programs, I never experience the box randomly switching

The dropouts you get could be HDMI handshake problems - a bad cable or a bad X1 box or some other component.

Try component video cables and only optical for audio and see if that stops the dropouts - make sure HDMI is disconnected.  If that works well then try a different HDMI cable.  Monoprice has good cables at fair prices - some with RedMere technology that allows longer runs with still flexible reasonable diameter cables.

Regular Visitor

I’ve had the X1 for 5 days now, and have avoided the major problems earlier adopters had so far, knock on wood.  I previously had various DCT & DCH models for 8 years, but never a DCX.   So far, my recordings have been recorded, Dolby Digital surround works, no DVR freezes or unavailability messages.  Just some occasional minor lag when pushing buttons quickly, one time when the recording light stayed on after a recording ended (cured by a reboot), and the temporary loss of being able to add time to the end of a recording in units other than 30/60/90 minutes instead of 1/3/5 minutes (also cured by a reboot).  I haven’t really put it through its paces yet, though.  I have a lot of recordings planned this weekend.

I have noticed a couple of options missing from the X1 that were available on the DCT/DCH models and useful for me.  I miss the option of being able to display the channel on the X1 front display, and not just the time.  I am unable to add time to the end of a recording once that recording has started (either while watching live TV on another channel or watching the recording itself), which can be a useful option if I forget to add time before recording or if I discover something while it’s on and it lasts beyond the end of its schedule.

Other people have noted the difficulties of moving through the guide to set up recordings, which is a major issue, but one that should be able to be improved.  Also, the lack of being able to move directly into the DVR – and the additional time it takes if you’re already elsewhere in the menu – is frustrating.  The A – B – C – D buttons could be enabled more frequently for shortcuts, it would seem.  I’ve avoided universal remotes and miss the classic DCT remote already.

That said, if the kinks are worked out and improvements added (more than 2 recordings at once, external hard drive), the X1 has promise.

Frequent Visitor

Re: New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes

Dont mean to be a bother but the X1 Idea intrigues me any Idea when florida will see this or would that not be in our life times.

Frequent Visitor

I've received different answers to this when I've called, so I figured I'd just ask here. I have a Motorola DCX3400 box. Will it be compatible with the X1guide when it rolls out or will I need to get a new box?
New Poster

I've had this problem for a while - it happens on other shows, but I'll use one I know happens every week.  Each Wednesday night at 10pm i try and record via series The Americans on Fx and Psych on USA.  Some weeks it used to record both.  Some weeks it records none, but will catch the repeat of the show a few hours later.  Some weeks it records one but not the other.  I have to go and make sure it will record each week.  It doesn't seem to do this with prime time major network shows, but I see this a lot on shows on cable networks that tend to repeat themselves a lot.  There are no other conflicts at that time (when I record them manually, they do record).  It happens on Bravo as well.  Anyone else getting inconsistent Series Recording?  Anyone know what to do about it?

Frequent Visitor

Re: New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes

Dont know if my post got deleted but is there any idea if and when we would see the x1 experience in cape coral florida