Community Forum

X1 Forum

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum

I've periodically had the same experience. Some programs record. Some don't seem to, but when rebooted, they show up. Highly irritating, especially when you join a program that is supposed recording half way through to start watching it and you can't find it, becuase it does not seem to be recording...until you reboot. Still thinking about that tivo...

Regular Contributor

It happens pretty regularily.  Tonight I turned it on to watch NCIS only it wasn't there. I couldn't restart until after 11 because of other recordings but it showed up when I did.  I can't watch it now though, it's too late. Really irritating.  They don't always show up though. 

It seems to have the hardest time when recording 2 shows. It also can't handle it if a show starts a minute after the hour.  Last night there was a show scheduled to record at 9 which showed up in the grid as not going to record. The only reason I could find is that one of the 8PM shows was going to run until 9:01.  There wasn't even a second show set to record at 9.  And the show that was set was after one of the 8PM shows.  When I hit the record button on the grid it set to record without issue.  So it was for no reason. If I hadn't look at the grid earlier I would have missed it. And unfortunately, the schedule doesn't show what isn't going to record like the older boxes do!  You won't know unless you look through the grid.  Which also brings up the issue of the lack of mutliple favorites.  I would have several, one for primetime channels, one for kids, one for favorites more than primetime, etc.

In my opinion, last week was just the same stuff that's been going on since the end of February/beginning of March.  It just had degraded to a point to make it unusable.  And while whatever they did to 'fix' made it somewhat useable again, all the problems are still there.

Last night I got the 'code 18' error message again. It means that your cable card in the box has lost it's pairing with the box.  You just get the channel logo and that's it. The only way to fix it is to call them up.  I got someone in India who didn't know what I was talking about but eventually figured it out. Nice guy but a little clueless. Didn't seem to know what an X1 box was.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Forum - Watching Recorded, but Not Yet Visible Programs

To watch a show that's in progress and is recording, but doesn't show up in your recorded programs list yet, you can go to the channel. Because it is being recorded, when you hit the channel you'll be able to rewind to the beginning. (Use the PgDn button to go back 5 minutes at a time.)

I've also found that if the recording is already finished, but, again, still not on your recorded programs list, you can sometimes seach for the show in question, find the episode on the episodes list, and it'll tell you that it's on the DVR so you can play it from there. I'm not sure if that always works, but it did for me once.

Not the solution, but (hopefully) helpful workarounds.

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Update - April 6, 2013

@ComcastKaraT wrote:
DVR Update (as of April 6, 2013)

DVR capabilities have now been restored to our X1 customers, and our Customer Care and Engineering teams continue to work any remaining issues for our customers.  The temporary DVR performance issues were an unintended result of some software enhancements on the X1 Platform, which have now been addressed.  To our X1 customers, we apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience as we resolve the matter.

I have a question,

Will it always be the case that: if we have a cable interruption of any type, we will not be able to watch recorded programs?

For example, if I disconnect the cable to simulate an outage, will I be able to watch my recorded programs?

Frequent Visitor

I find that if I have a program that I have scheduled to record as a series, they all dont show up

Frequent Visitor

Question....I know you can tape 2 programs while watching a third, but can you tape 3 programs while not watching anything in the same time frame?

Contributor

@snowrain wrote:

It happens pretty regularily.  Tonight I turned it on to watch NCIS only it wasn't there. I couldn't restart until after 11 because of other recordings but it showed up when I did.  I can't watch it now though, it's too late. Really irritating.  They don't always show up though. 

It seems to have the hardest time when recording 2 shows. It also can't handle it if a show starts a minute after the hour.  Last night there was a show scheduled to record at 9 which showed up in the grid as not going to record. The only reason I could find is that one of the 8PM shows was going to run until 9:01.  There wasn't even a second show set to record at 9.  And the show that was set was after one of the 8PM shows.  When I hit the record button on the grid it set to record without issue.  So it was for no reason. If I hadn't look at the grid earlier I would have missed it. And unfortunately, the schedule doesn't show what isn't going to record like the older boxes do!  You won't know unless you look through the grid.  Which also brings up the issue of the lack of mutliple favorites.  I would have several, one for primetime channels, one for kids, one for favorites more than primetime, etc.

In my opinion, last week was just the same stuff that's been going on since the end of February/beginning of March.  It just had degraded to a point to make it unusable.  And while whatever they did to 'fix' made it somewhat useable again, all the problems are still there.

Last night I got the 'code 18' error message again. It means that your cable card in the box has lost it's pairing with the box.  You just get the channel logo and that's it. The only way to fix it is to call them up.  I got someone in India who didn't know what I was talking about but eventually figured it out. Nice guy but a little clueless. Didn't seem to know what an X1 box was.

i I had a smiliar issue with NCIS it did record the show but only 7 seconds of it.
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem. Can it record 3 shows at one time or must you watch one and record 2?

Regular Contributor

@glosaul wrote:

Question....I know you can tape 2 programs while watching a third, but can you tape 3 programs while not watching anything in the same time frame?

glosaul - At this time, you have the ability to record to programs while watching the third. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I have a question,

Will it always be the case that: if we have a cable interruption of any type, we will not be able to watch recorded programs?

For example, if I disconnect the cable to simulate an outage, will I be able to watch my recorded programs?

screenname137 - Yes, it is my understanding that a live connection to the application servers is a requirement for full functionality of the X1 Platform.

Frequent Visitor

X1 Forum: Request additional functions

When will you be adding more apps and features to X1? Additional apps like Twitter, Instagram, etc would be great and even the ability to surf the web like a computer.
Tags (4)
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum: Request additional functions

@ryansosebee wrote:
When will you be adding more apps and features to X1? Additional apps like Twitter, Instagram, etc would be great and even the ability to surf the web like a computer.

Ryan - Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.  There are too many bugs and basic functionality to fix before we should expect any new features.

Frequent Visitor

True, but as along time Comcast employee, I see this all the time with our product. We roll out a product that is full of bugs and not really ready for consumers and then put all of our effort into fixing products that consumers have already lost faith in. Without added hooks and features, it is really just a new guide. We need to shift our focus to wowing and impressing our customers rather than always being behind and fixing issues.
Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Forum: Recording time stamp

The time on my Guide and DVR are correct, but the time of my recordings on the DVR screen are one hour earlier.

Anyone else see this

Regular Contributor

No. What I have seen is that the times on the comcast web application to control the DVR are an hour off. On the DVR itself, the timings have been correct...but I did not look this morning, so don't know if that has changed.

Regular Contributor

What would wow and impress me is not having to be concerned whether my DVR recordings are going to actually record, and not to have to look for strange workarounds to join a program I'm recording in progress and watch it from the beginning while the program is recording, and not to have to find that my DVR reboooted itself overnight, and did not complete the process, so I have to walk my 11 year old kid through doing a power cycle over the phone.

In short, I want my DVR to REDUCE the stress in my life, not add to it.

In terms of more apps, I could not care less. Its very unlikely I will use my TV as the focus on my social media life.

Regular Visitor

You are correct, it is the web app. DVR itself is correct

Contributor

enhancement request

I found the page up and down buttons (I believe) can advance a program ahead or backwards. My problem is that it advances like 5 minutes. FiOS allows you to set this timer. Can we please get that option. I would like to set it to one minute or half minute to use in order to advance commercials while watching DVR. Thanks
Regular Contributor

Yes, I saw that a couple of weeks ago. It does not seem to have had a negative impact on setting recordings though. If I set it on the web, the DVR is doing it correctly. I'm assuming it is just a time zone issue. Kind of flakey though....

Contributor

Re: enhancement request

Any possibility of getting Netflix app on the boxes. I know its taboo for cable to provide this access.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

I have a question,

screenname137 - Yes, it is my understanding that a live connection to the application servers is a requirement for full functionality of the X1 Platform.

Thank you.

Not really expecting full functionality - just being able to watch a recording - like the good old days with VCRs...or DVRs from last year when all we need is electricity. 

We're in a quandry over this setup - I'll test this and see what happens.  It is unrealistic to design a system around the idea that there are limited outages - I have never experienced a CATV system like that - and don't expect to.  I expect the DVR would mitigate those outage issues, not pile in on them.

Why can't it be like TIVO?

Frequent Visitor

@Dillinger wrote:
I found the page up and down buttons (I believe) can advance a program ahead or backwards. My problem is that it advances like 5 minutes. FiOS allows you to set this timer. Can we please get that option. I would like to set it to one minute or half minute to use in order to advance commercials while watching DVR. Thanks

(Copied from earlier in this thread):

the page up button (pg) is set by default to skip ahead 5 minutes. you can reprogram the box itself so that a page up command will instead skip ahead 30 seconds. from the xfinity xr2 remote, press "Exit" button 3 times, the press "0030".

then try the xfinity xr2 remote, start playing a recording, press "pg up" button. it should now skip 30 seconds. you can then go into your harmony remote and customize your settings for the PVR. assign "PageUp" function to "Skip Forward" button. 

Contributor

Thanks jtg99. I'll give that a shot.I have the xr2 remote. Not sure what the harmony one is. Rt hanks again!
Regular Visitor

I have to check the box every morning before I leave for work to see if it rebooted correctly overnight.

I put a small outlet strip with a switch on it next to the X1 box, with only the X1 box plugged into it.

That way I only have to use the outlet strip switch to do a power cycle of the box.

On the box I have the power light set to off and the clock set to 1 for brightness.  When the box does not reboot correctly the power light is on and the clock has just dashed lines and not the time.  I leave the box powered on all the time so when the power light is on I know the box is "out to lunch".

Another "feature" (bug) is when you set up the remote to use RF it will not turn the X1 box off but it will turn off your tv and audio system.  Because I want to leave my box on, I guess that would be a "feature".  At least using the RF to control the X1 box I know that just one push of a key on the remote did make it to the box so when it does not respond I have to wait, and NOT push any more keys until the box responds.

I am still using my Tivo as back-up to record from the basic channels until some of the problems with recording get fixed...

Contributor

Question about X1 Video Outputs

i recently had an X1 installed and since there doesn't seem to be a lot of detailed documentation I have a question which hopefully doesn't sound to off the wall.

I have the X1 connected via HDMI to an Sony HD TV.  I also have a set of cables plugged into the the Video/Audio plugs on the back of the X1 that go to a Sony DVDRW.  The day the X1 was installed I think this worked in that I could select the DVDRW input on the TV and see the X1's video output.  Today when I do that I only get a white screen when the DVDRW input is selected on the TV I do still hear the sound coming from the program that is selected on the X1.

When the X1's video output is set to 1080p which the TV supports. with 1080p set is that the output resolution for the Audio/Video plugs (is the output to the Audio/Video plugs automatically lowered to Standard Definition? does the X1 output the same audio/video to both the plugs and HDMI at the same time?) do the higher settings only apply to HDMI out?  For grins I tried setting the X1 to 480i did a reset with the remote and still only had a white screen with audio when the DVDRW is selected as the TV's input.

Any suggestions would be welecomed

Thank You

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Question about X1 Video Outputs

Normally comcast boxes only allow one video out source that would seem to be the same for the x1.  question for you, with such a large hard drive what are you doing with a dvdrw?

Regular Contributor

@rog286713 wrote:

Normally comcast boxes only allow one video out source that would seem to be the same for the x1.  question for you, with such a large hard drive what are you doing with a dvdrw?

We have in the past had the DVR connected to our AVR with both HDMI and Component and either would work.  We have the X1 set up the same way and I'm nearly positive the installer checked both out because he was having trouble with HDMI (trying to set it to 1080p when our gear will only do 1080i).

Regular Contributor

@Dillinger wrote:

dillinger - thanks for your feedback. I shared your comments with the X2 Remote Product Manager.

Regular Contributor

@bradbortner wrote:

Yes, I saw that a couple of weeks ago. It does not seem to have had a negative impact on setting recordings though. If I set it on the web, the DVR is doing it correctly. I'm assuming it is just a time zone issue. Kind of flakey though....

I've escalate this issue with the mobile app and DVR product management teams. Thank you both for pointing this out. 

Regular Contributor

@Dillinger wrote:
Any possibility of getting Netflix app on the boxes. I know its taboo for cable to provide this access.

Dillinger - thank you for your question. I've shard your feedback with the Apps Product Manager. Our product management team is always considering new enhancements/additions to the App section. 

Contributor

The reason for wanting to use the DVDRW is long-term storage and for my better half to take DVDs when traveling overseas.

Does anyone know if the Audio/Video outputs should be active and useable at the same time as the HDMI

Regular Contributor

Hi,

With all the problems last week, I lost none of my recordings.  But as of this morning I lost 3.  Anybody else lose any within the last few days?  Rebooted from the power button and there're still gone.  Help please?

Thanks, Jerry

Contributor

I am using the hdmi, component video and NTSC video outputs simultaneously.  Both hdmi and component video are set to output 1080p and the NTSC outputs at 480i.  Multiple outputs are handy for using more than one TV, say a large screen in the family room and a small screen in the kitchen which is next to the family room and share a common wall, thus cabling is easy.  This allows watching the same program with one or more persons in the family room and someone cooking in the kitchen.  Just one example of many possible uses for multiple video outputs from the X1 or any other receiver.  I've setup media systems for several friends and know for a fact that DirectTV DVRs have multiple outputs (hdmi, component, NTSC video) active simultaneously.  Another example use for the NTSC output is to drive an RF modulator connected to as long a coax cable as you need (300 ft. with no problems).  This allows driving an auxillary TV in the garage or anywhere else you want.

Silver Problem Solver

no one broadcasts in 1080p so 1080i should be what I believe its what its set for.  Some seem to thing the x1 up converts the signal to 1080p

Contributor

Was there any setup you had to do to make the Audio/video plugs active?

Problem Solver

@rog286713 wrote:

no one broadcasts in 1080p so 1080i should be what I believe its what its set for.  Some seem to thing the x1 up converts the signal to 1080p

As a few other recent (non-X1) boxes, the X1 box will upconvert to 1080p as well.

Contributor

Thanks for the info, I may have a bad input on the DVDRW or a bad output plug on the X1 (Hope not) or even possiblly a bad cable I'll try swapping cables and testing with a different output device in a day or two.

Regarding Upconverting The auto detect and display on my HD TV say's the input from the X1 is 1080p when the X1 is set to 1080p, likewise when the X1 is set to 1080i or 720/480 the displayed resolution on the TV matches what the X1 is set to.

Contributor

sdjs asked:

Was there any setup you had to do to make the Audio/video plugs active?

No - I just connected them to my devices and they worked.  Just did an experiment and NTSC video output works with my Pioneer DVR.

Frequent Visitor

I've having a problem that started about 12h ago. The picture on the DVR wiill intermittently drop and not come back for between 10 seconds to several minutes. In that time, it seems the DVR will function, just without picture. I have checked the HDMI cables and have switched inputs to Blue-ray and AppleTV. Everything else functions normally. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
Contributor

Thank You!

I have tried two Video cables both only produced the white screen.  I'll dust off my camcorder and try it. If it also doesn't work I guess I'll give Comcast a call and see about swapping out the X1

P.S. the DVDRW did work with the Motorola HDDVR that the X1 replaced a few days ago.

New Poster

Xfinity x1

My xfinity x1 is a horrible system. It fails frequently. One of my boxes takes 5 minutes or more to get a picture if it does not lock up and have to be reset. My dvr dumps its programming and the other box is infrequently used and still has issues when we finally went to use it the other day it was locked up. I would not recommend this system to anyone. I am a return customer to comcast recently and am thinking of going back to my fios.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity x1

Why you switched from fios I cannot tell  you  but did you not see this thread above yours,

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105

Valued Contributor

Re: Xfinity x1

Well considering X1 is still being worked on with tweaks and adjustments being made constantly, it's unfair for you to say it's horrible and not to recommend it. You are more then welcome to use the iGuide set top boxes or use a TiVo. Both of these suggestions are proven options.

Regular Visitor

As of today, only my Friday (4/12) recordings are showing up in my DVR list. All my other recordings from the previous weeks are not listed. I know they are still there because it shows ~45%. Please fix this so that I can watch those shows. Reboot/reset/power cycle have not fixed the problem.
New Poster

My DVR is also showing 88% full, regardless of how many shows I delete.

So many bugs with this software, it's driven me to post on forums. No piece of software has ever been this bad.
Regular Contributor

What the heck is going on?

All my DVR recodings are gone!!! Smiley Sad

Problem Solver

Have you tried rebooting to see if that would bring back the recordings?
Regular Contributor

@C_DM wrote:
Have you tried rebooting to see if that would bring back the recordings?

Yes rebooted twice and all my DVR shows are still missing.

However I did just record a show this morning and that is showing under my DVR recordings.

These X1 boxes are so buggy it's really sad! Smiley Sad

Regular Visitor

Same here!  All my recorded shows disappeared on Friday.  Rebooted several times with no results.  It would be nice if Comcast gave all X1 users a daily update on their activities and an automatic rebate as compensation!

Regular Contributor

My box is back at it again. Stuck on the current channel, can't bring up anything (guide, info, menu, etc).  Every interaction with the box says:

(Black background with white text)

(Top line is a white triangle with an exclamation point in it)

"Sorry, we are unable to access

you XFINITIY TV service right

now. Please try again later.

If this issue lasts for more than a few minutes,

please contact Customer Care at

1-877-896-8678, or visit xfinity.com/x1"

My only choices are to leave it alone as usually it goes away (several hours).  Or I can reboot the box (power cord) and come back to the same error but no channel behind it. Sometimes multiple reboots (3-5) can work as well. 

HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER SEEN THIS?  I get this just about every day, usually a couple of time per day though I had 2 clean days prior to today.   I have another box without a problem.