Community Forum

X1 Forum

Regular Contributor

DVR Update - April 6, 2013

DVR Update (as of April 6, 2013)

DVR capabilities have now been restored to our X1 customers, and our Customer Care and Engineering teams continue to work any remaining issues for our customers.  The temporary DVR performance issues were an unintended result of some software enhancements on the X1 Platform, which have now been addressed.  To our X1 customers, we apologize for any inconvenience, and thank you for your patience as we resolve the matter.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Update - April 6, 2013

At what time was the fix officially complete? Things seemed fine last night, but then my series recording requests all seemed to disappear this AM. I have not checked in a few hours though.

Regular Contributor

There seems to be some sort of strange restore going on. All of the recordings that I have made are there and playbayable, but one's i"ve deleted have now re-appeared. I was noting that most of my set series recordings requests had disappereed, but perhaps the restoration of past recordings is necessary to restore those as well. I'll give it a couple of hours and then reboot it to see where we are. I would not object to re-setting up recordings if I have to, but would rather not go through the effort if I don't have to.

Frequent Visitor

Well my DVR recordings have still not come back...and now I am afraid that they are lost forever.  The box still reads 32% full...but only Friday nights show is listed in the recordings.

I called Comcast support...they sent a signal...but still nothing.

Hopefully, I can find my old recordings on demand....if I can only remember what was saved on the DVR. 

Pretty unacceptable for $400 plus per month.  Funny thing...2 other X1 DVRs in the house are fine...just not my main one.

Darren

Regular Visitor

This is exactly my situation.  All 3 DVR's are functioning with the latest release (Z.01.09 Build 4305) but my main DVR has lost all the old recordings (prior to 04/05/13) in the great Xfininity cloud!  Will they ever appear again?  Perhaps with another new and improved update?  I'm not holding my breath on that one or a valued customer discount!  Strangely, there is a Direct TV salesman  making the rounds in my neighborhood here in souther NH; coincidence?

Regular Contributor

Gave up waiting for my series recording schedule to come back and just reset them up. Also deleted all the ghost shows that I had deleted that came back. The percentage reduced as it should.

Hopefully, I'm all set now. We'll see when it is time to record. 

New Poster

Ghost image in black region of my screen

I often see a ghost image of the last picture displayed in the black portions of my tv screen. Text from the menus is the most noticeable. It almost looks like I have a burn in left on my screen from a static image being displayed on the screen too long. However the "burn in" goes away when the screen changes from black to a standard image. Then a new "burn in" appears when the screen goes black again. I have a new x1 box and never noticed the problem before I got the x1 box.
Frequent Visitor

Problem now is I only have 2 recorded shows but dvr says 32% full....
New Poster

I have been two days without dvr.  Called comcast 4 times today to resolve this issue.  Unacceptable customer service....

New Poster

This official post was issued at 12 pm today.  It is now 8 pm in utah and we still don't have dvr.  Called comcast 4 times today.  Reset the box 3 times.  Still no customer service.  

Contributor

@devrey01 wrote:

This official post was issued at 12 pm today.  It is now 8 pm in utah and we still don't have dvr.  Called comcast 4 times today.  Reset the box 3 times.  Still no customer service.  

Just curious, did you reset the box by using the power switch on the front of the box? Hold the button in for about twenty seconds, then release, and press it again and release right away. The clock should display "reboot", not just "boot".

Contributor

I also have  lost all the old recordings (prior to 04/05/13). I had 5 recordings and it showed 73% full.   I have deleted all of the recordings and it still says 73% full.  What happened to all of my old recordings?  This has been a horrible experience...

Contributor

All,

My location is outside of Philly and I have not experience the problems reported.  Our history of recordings is still there.  However the night (4/4 - 4/5) of the install broke the recordings in progress.  % usage and recording light all appear to work.

Thoma

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ghost image in black region of my screen

That is a known issue along with many others of that new box.  Here is the official thread that is a sticky post on top of the page you posted on.  There you can read the other 865 posts about the issues.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105

Regular Contributor

one of my DVR boxes is still not happy.  While watching a DVR yesterday, it became completely unresponsive.  I couldnt stop, exit, FF or anything in the DVR without getting the "Sorry message..."

Once the show was over, I was at a grey screen with this same sorry message and no other response.  Unplugging it for a couple of hours brought it back.

Frequent Visitor

Everything is pretty much back to normal with our boxes except the percentage used.  The percentage will go up or down 30% or 40% when we record or delete a half hour program.  The Xfinity online DVR Manager percentage has hardly ever been close to the percentage shown on the TV screen.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

After this "update" to my dvr I can not program my dvr from the tv listing on the web.  The programing on the x-1 leaves a lot to be desired so doing it remotely is very simple.  Has this been addressed before or is it a product of the "update"?

New Poster

Is there anyway to view conflicts in your scheduled recordings in the DVR? On the old DVR if a scheduled show was not going to be recorded you would see it in the DVR scheduled section but I don't see that now. Thanks
Frequent Visitor

We do need the conflicts to show like they used to with the Motorola DVrs. The ones that will not be recording need to still show so that adjustments can be made.
Contributor

Just scheduled the recording of the NCAA Final from the web.  So it works from my location.

However the TV in the Bedroom changed channel to 803 which is CBS.  Unexpected feature. 

Tom

Frequent Visitor

After the update, service seems more stable. But, I have 90 minutes of recorded shows (and nothing in the deleted folder) and the DVR shows as 16% full..and the ipad app shows as 10% full. So the numbers seem high and still don't match. Tried a reboot...same numbers. Kara - I've seen multiple posts on this issue before and after the update. Can you comment?
Regular Contributor

not quite cooked yet

I recorded two shows last night. The first, game of thrones, completed without incident. The second, Vikings, appeared to not show up, either during or after the show. When I checked the online DVR page, it showed a mix of shows that we had recorded, and other shows that we have not watched for years. 

This morning, I checked again. Still no Vikings. I rebooted the box. Vikings showed up.

This is really really irritating. A DVR needs to be dependable. The constant need for reboots is simply not acceptable. 

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Update - April 5, 2013

@KuyaBill wrote:

How about a credit, or free Cinemax for 30 days for all affected customers?

Kuyabill - Unfortunately, I have no knowledge or capability to comment on that topic, and recommend that you contact 1-800-COMCAST or their local office for more information.

Regular Contributor

Big issue with Dolby D 5.1 broadcasts!!

Ever since getting the X1 Box I am noticing that on so many broadcasts that are using Dolby D 5.1 are not coming though my Denon Receiver as 5.1. And instead I am just getting Stereo soud though my 5.1 speaker system! This is with either HDMI or Optical cables. Now it's not 100% all broadcasts because for example American Idol was coming though my speakers in 5.1 just fine.

But so may shows and sporting events like the Phillies game for example are not coming though  as 5.1 sound even though the stations are indeed broadcasting in 5.1 sound!

I am pretty sure I did not have this issue with my the older Motorola cable boxes!

Anyone from Comcast know what's going on here?

One last thing in the X1 settings I have it set to "surround sound" and my Denon does say Dolby D on it all the time. However like I said most shows and sporting events are not comibg though in 5.1! Smiley Sad

This really needs to be fixed!

Frequent Visitor

The Stereo/Surround settings are very buggy in the X1. What will also happen is sometimes the Stereo/Surround setting will stay as Surround, but the box will output a Stereo signal to the receiver and that will display as Stereo on the receiver. The only way to fix that is to change the Stereo/Surround setting from Surround to Stereo, and then back to Surround again, and it will then display Dolby D on the receiver. 

Regular Contributor

@clays wrote:

The Stereo/Surround settings are very buggy in the X1. What will also happen is sometimes the Stereo/Surround setting will stay as Surround, but the box will output a Stereo signal to the receiver and that will display as Stereo on the receiver. The only way to fix that is to change the Stereo/Surround setting from Surround to Stereo, and then back to Surround again, and it will then display Dolby D on the receiver. 

Yes I have seen this happen a lot also Smiley Sad

I hope both of these issues can be fixed in a future software update. And hopfully it's not a hardware issue.

Frequent Visitor

So last night, two series recordings that I have set did not record (while two other's did).

One of my boxes will not respond to the reboot command (pressing the green power button for 20 seconds).

While I appreciate Comcast finally admitting to and try to correct the problem, we should not have to call in to the 800 number to try to wrestle a refund out of them.  That is not CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Problem Solver

@golfgreg74 wrote:

So last night, two series recordings that I have set did not record (while two other's did).

One of my boxes will not respond to the reboot command (pressing the green power button for 20 seconds).

While I appreciate Comcast finally admitting to and try to correct the problem, we should not have to call in to the 800 number to try to wrestle a refund out of them.  That is not CUSTOMER SERVICE!

If you reboot the box that isn't showing the recordings, do they appear?

As for reboot, simply unplugging and plugging the box back in would pretty much do the same thing as using the restart option in the device settings section of the main menu or by holding the power button down for a bit and then pressing it once again after that (if I recall correctly about that last method).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If you reboot the box that isn't showing the recordings, do they appear?

As for reboot, simply unplugging and plugging the box back in would pretty much do the same thing as using the restart option in the device settings section of the main menu or by holding the power button down for a bit and then pressing it once again after that (if I recall correctly about that last method).

No, they didn't show back up (that could be because I set manual recordings when they were replayed later in the evening)...I will watch my recordings tonight and see what happens...it is all just very frustrating and the response from Comcast is less than satisfactory...I keep saying it, but I did not know that I was paying to Beta Test this for Comcast.

I appreciate your response though!

Regular Contributor

So for those trying to play catch up here.

The X1 has a handful of bugs and feature omission that have been there for some period.  This includes things like record light, series recordings, DVR conflicts, lack of TV input button on the remote, a active cooling fan on the box that stays on 100% of the time, and many more.

Last week, all heck broke loose and most, if not all folks DVR functionality was stopped in its tracks for a few nights.  Most of that is resolved but some people are still having issues, myself included where my box loses its connection and says "Sorry, you request cannot be processed at this time, Please call ...."   If I was lucky enough to have this happen while the box was on, I am stuck on the channel I was on (with full picture and sound).  No menu functionality works and the only response in the afore mentioned error.   If the box was off, I get a grey screen with the error and no channel or menu is available.   Only known fix(es) I have found is to leave it unplugged for awhile or keep hard power cycling (unplugging) and by the third try or so, it comes back and is fine for about a day.   Technical support doesnt know what to do other than to give me a new box.   This seems to coincide with the DVR issues last week.   

In my next breath, I would normally solicit any advice from Comcast here.  But I have no learned this is the just the place to release X1 frustration.  There is no real forum - just a monstrocity of a thread - and there is no real help here.

Problem Solver

@HD-Tech wrote:

So for those trying to play catch up here.

The X1 has a handful of bugs and feature omission that have been there for some period.  This includes things like record light, series recordings, DVR conflicts, lack of TV input button on the remote, a active cooling fan on the box that stays on 100% of the time, and many more.

Last week, all heck broke loose and most, if not all folks DVR functionality was stopped in its tracks for a few nights.  Most of that is resolved but some people are still having issues, myself included where my box loses its connection and says "Sorry, you request cannot be processed at this time, Please call ...."   If I was lucky enough to have this happen while the box was on, I am stuck on the channel I was on (with full picture and sound).  No menu functionality works and the only response in the afore mentioned error.   If the box was off, I get a grey screen with the error and no channel or menu is available.   Only known fix(es) I have found is to leave it unplugged for awhile or keep hard power cycling (unplugging) and by the third try or so, it comes back and is fine for about a day.   Technical support doesnt know what to do other than to give me a new box.   This seems to coincide with the DVR issues last week.   

In my next breath, I would normally solicit any advice from Comcast here.  But I have no learned this is the just the place to release X1 frustration.  There is no real forum - just a monstrocity of a thread - and there is no real help here.

Most of the issues and feature additions that could be made are really in the hands of actual engineers and product people working on the X1 platform--not much that any user (this being mostly a user-to-user forum) or even support personnel (customer care or even techs) can actually do about that.

The bugs are being worked on here and there, as we've seen in various updates, as are the features.  Not all of them get addressed or get addressed in the best way, at least not yet.  But, they might, and likely will be, just with time (maybe a bit of time, maybe a bit more than that).  However, with that comes the all too likely possibility that whenver there are significant updates and/or frequent updates (and even when they aren't that significant or frequent) something can go wrong and would need to be worked out--the recent DVR outtage (and resulting issues) is likely a good example of this.

Unfortunately that's more or less the reality with deploying a whole new platform on a scale of what Comcast provides and supports.  Let's hope more of the bugs get worked out sooner and more of the features get added sooner, and none of that introduces other issues in the process.

New Poster

Re: 2 new issues

BUG

Hey guys,
i've noticed a really annoying problem that started happening like a couple weeks ago. Basically, as i'm watching a program, whether DVR or Live TV, the sound will cut in and out. It's a quick 1 second cut out but it's frequent and annoying enough where I notice it.

My TV is a 55 inch Samsung led but the sound is going through a Samsung soundbar.  My box is connected to my soundbar through optical audio.

Has anyone had this sort of issue before either with the X1 or another cable box? At first I thought it might just be that specific channel having issues but noticed it happens on all channels. I was watching Game of Thrones last night and counted it happening like 4 times throughout the show and it was very annoying.

Any insight would be appreciated, cheers

**UPDATE**

This issue may be related to my soundbar.  I will update this post once I get more info

New Poster

FEATURE REQUEST

It would be nice if we could pick up where we left off when watching a show on demand.  On my old box, I could resume a on demand recording from where I had left off last but now my only option is to "restart from beginning."

Frequent Visitor

Yes. The 1 second sound cut outs are a frequent occurrence. Audio in general is buggy in the x1.
New Poster

Here is what I cannot understand:  Why do the non-DVR X1 set-top boxes take so long to display any programming?  It is not like the box was unplugged it is only in standbys mode.  I have waited 3+ min to see or hear anything, and then even after that there is usually an addition 2 min. before the channel can be changed.    It is really crappy, I only want to what TV.

Next, why the need for all the reboots of the X1 set-top boxes?  The boxes lock up, everyother day.  The cable tech. has been to my home to replace all the inside cables, and still it is happening.   Am I a Beta tester without compensation?

Regular Contributor

@ChazUbell wrote:

Here is what I cannot understand:  Why do the non-DVR X1 set-top boxes take so long to display any programming?  

There is a non-DVR X1 box? 

Official Employee
Regular Contributor

I have one X1 DVR and one standard X1 box. Most of my issues are with the DVR but still have many issues with lag with the standard box.
Problem Solver

@ChazUbell wrote:

Here is what I cannot understand:  Why do the non-DVR X1 set-top boxes take so long to display any programming?  It is not like the box was unplugged it is only in standbys mode.  I have waited 3+ min to see or hear anything, and then even after that there is usually an addition 2 min. before the channel can be changed.    It is really crappy, I only want to what TV.

Next, why the need for all the reboots of the X1 set-top boxes?  The boxes lock up, everyother day.  The cable tech. has been to my home to replace all the inside cables, and still it is happening.   Am I a Beta tester without compensation?

The non-DVR X1 boxes, typically the RNG150s, are not as powerful as the DVR X1 boxes (typically the XG1s), which is likely where the additoinal lag and similar things can come from.

Problem Solver

@clays wrote:
Yes. The 1 second sound cut outs are a frequent occurrence. Audio in general is buggy in the x1.

While I've definitely experienced various issues over time with the X1 box, I can't say that this has been one of them.  Could it be some sort of a signal issue (the older generation cable boxes also have issues of this type--picture pixelating/cutting out, and similar with sound--and often it has more to do with connection and/or signal than the box)?

Regular Contributor

@egeek84 wrote:

FEATURE REQUEST

It would be nice if we could pick up where we left off when watching a show on demand.  On my old box, I could resume a on demand recording from where I had left off last but now my only option is to "restart from beginning."

egeek84 - This feature does exist in X1 for programs over 20 minutes. We are aware of a slight latency to reflect the "resume point" and are working to make it appear seamless for users. 

Regular Contributor

@bradbortner wrote:

At what time was the fix officially complete? Things seemed fine last night, but then my series recording requests all seemed to disappear this AM. I have not checked in a few hours though.

The fix was rolled out to X1 customers through out the weekend of April 6th. If you are continuing to see issues, feel free to send me a PM with your account number/home telephone number and box serial number, and an example of which show was missing

Regular Contributor

@PressWatcher wrote:
I often see a ghost image of the last picture displayed in the black portions of my tv screen. Text from the menus is the most noticeable. It almost looks like I have a burn in left on my screen from a static image being displayed on the screen too long. However the "burn in" goes away when the screen changes from black to a standard image. Then a new "burn in" appears when the screen goes black again. I have a new x1 box and never noticed the problem before I got the x1 box.

PressWatcher - the "ghosting" images were associated with the issues we encountered last week. If you continue to see these issues, please let me know. I believe it should resolved itself by Sunday evening. 

- Kara

Regular Contributor

@basser wrote:

After this "update" to my dvr I can not program my dvr from the tv listing on the web.  The programing on the x-1 leaves a lot to be desired so doing it remotely is very simple.  Has this been addressed before or is it a product of the "update"?

basser  - Are you seeing an error message or is the show/movie simply not recording? If an error message, do you know what it said? 

Regular Contributor

@gmtivo wrote:
After the update, service seems more stable. But, I have 90 minutes of recorded shows (and nothing in the deleted folder) and the DVR shows as 16% full..and the ipad app shows as 10% full. So the numbers seem high and still don't match. Tried a reboot...same numbers. Kara - I've seen multiple posts on this issue before and after the update. Can you comment?

The X1 team is still looking into the discrepancies with the DVR Space % indicator, as a follow up from last week's DVR issue. If/when I have more information on the issue/expected resolution, I will make that information available 

Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

PressWatcher - the "ghosting" images were associated with the issues we encountered last week. If you continue to see these issues, please let me know. I believe it should resolved itself by Sunday evening. 

- Kara

Kara-

The ghosting problem was a known issue prior to last week.  I cant speak to its resolution or not (only seen it a few time myself) but it wasnt caused by last weeks meyham.

New Poster

I am having an issue where a scheduled recording has started, but there is no red light and it doesn't show up under my recordings.  If I unplug the box and plug it back in then I see the recording show up.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any solution?  Is this a known issue?

I wonder if I don't unplug the box and plug it back in during the recording if the recording will show up when finished because I have had issues in the past with scheduled recordings never showing up and I am wondering if this is the case.

Problem Solver

@Hoopsman1982 wrote:

I am having an issue where a scheduled recording has started, but there is no red light and it doesn't show up under my recordings.  If I unplug the box and plug it back in then I see the recording show up.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any solution?  Is this a known issue?

I wonder if I don't unplug the box and plug it back in during the recording if the recording will show up when finished because I have had issues in the past with scheduled recordings never showing up and I am wondering if this is the case.

Something that started appearing (again?) after the recent DVR outage last week.  I've had it like that one of the evenings and the shows weren't there even after they were over, I chose not to restart and check in the morning, and the shows were there in the morning.  So they are there, but something's definitely going on at least in some of the cases.

New Poster

So it is best to just leave it plugged in and maybe if the shows aren't there the next day I can unplug it and plug it back in and the shows should show up?

Regular Contributor

@Hoopsman1982 wrote:

So it is best to just leave it plugged in and maybe if the shows aren't there the next day I can unplug it and plug it back in and the shows should show up?

Yes, that's the experience I've had a few times.