Community Forum

X1 Forum

Regular Contributor

Re: I'm fed up with Comcast TV

Tried power cycling the box. No joy. DVR still unavailable. When I spoke to X1 tech support, they were clueless about the system outage for DVR, even though a message about is on the IVR system when you call in. I'm thinking Tivo....

Frequent Visitor

Re: I'm fed up with Comcast TV

Comcast tech just took the awful X1 out of my house!  Hopefully going back to something that will actually record and play programs!

Problem Solver

Re: X1 Forum

Clearly there's been a pretty major and widespread issue with the DVR service for X1 boxes.  We know that Comcast has been working on it for at least a day (and likely more now), and it seems that things are closer to being back to normal.  It's very likely that essentially everyone should be back in working order sometime today.

As for communication and credits, considering how big of an issue this seems to have been, it's very likely that Comcast has been working on it heads down and really hasn't had much time to spend on communicating or issuing credits--the priority has got to be to restore service and then to deal with all that might have come out from the actual issue.  It's certainly not great, but it's more or less reality in a lot of cases for most industries out there--fix the actual issue and then deal with the repercussions.

Regular Contributor

OK. finally got through to a tech who knew something. The fix was just pushed out five minutes before I called. I power cycled again, and it is now all working. Keeping fingers crossed.

Regular Contributor

It seemed to be fixed this morning ... but it's acting up again.

I've been home sick so this has been particularily annoying.  My box recorded some shows this morning and allowed me to see the others.  It seemed to be nice and peppy in it's response to my using it.  I just finished watching a 2 hour show and now everything says "dvr maintenance" again except the "deleted" folder.

I thought maybe it was just back to the problems of the last few weeks where you couldn't use anything on the hour and half hour, constant "dvr maintenance" or spinning circles.  However, it's now 10 minutes past and I still can't access my shows.

Regular Contributor

One thing the tech rep told me is that these boxes are unusually sensitive to low signal issues, and that power cycling often resolves these issues. Also, I know that the final update was just pushed out about thirty minutes ago, so you might want to try power cycleing again.

Silver Problem Solver

removed

Frequent Visitor

Hi, I talked to a someone in the tech department who has a number of tech people under him and he said they are waiting for a patch to fix the problem with the dvr not recording or showing up all the programs that have been recorded. do you have any info when the patch is coming?

Contributor

I spoke to someone today and they said they are basically moving to a whole new server platform, not just a patch.  He said it would hopefully be in place in the next day or two.  Fingers crossed !

Regular Contributor

If you go to the About tab in the Menu - you can watch the Code changes.

The XRE server was updated last night around 6 when all heck broke loose and you couldn't do a thing. They then updated it again overnight - and everything was working fine.

Now, as others have posted - DVR functionality is broken yet again. I can randomly see my recorded shows - however scheduled and deleted always brings up the "maintenance" message.

Whoever was told that a "push was just sent out" received bad information.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

If it was bad information, why have all my recordings shown up again as she said the would, and I have complete DVR functionality? Its possible different regions are getting the updates at different times, but as of this moment, my box seems to be behaving as it should...not to say it won't break again, but It feels fixed at the moment.

Problem Solver

@PSUMattDE wrote:

If you go to the About tab in the Menu - you can watch the Code changes.

The XRE server was updated last night around 6 when all heck broke loose and you couldn't do a thing. They then updated it again overnight - and everything was working fine.

Now, as others have posted - DVR functionality is broken yet again. I can randomly see my recorded shows - however scheduled and deleted always brings up the "maintenance" message.

Whoever was told that a "push was just sent out" received bad information.

Given an issue of this magnitued it's very likely more than just one fix (patch) would be involved--based on what some techs have mentioned and others have posted it seems like there's a whole big server move that was/is inovled, in addition to some updated code (as we've seen it update on the About screen), and probably some additional DVR/performance/stability-related patches.

While one or even a few of the things might be finished or wrapping up, there are probably still some more that are in process or might still be taking place during the day today.  It sounds like most people should be mostly back to normal arealy, and probably/hopefully everyone will be back to (fully) normal by the end of the day.

That said, most of that assumes that all the server changes and fixes/patches go as planned and don't introduce issues themselves--which unfortunately can happen when things are attempted to be fixed quickly for a large number of people.  I guess we'll see how it goes.

Regular Contributor

After being up for a couple of hours, its down again. Showing the DVR maintenance message

Frequent Visitor

DVR Maint message in Nor Cal (again)...and the hits just keep coming!

Silver Problem Solver

I have to ask.  Is the updated interface worth all this trouble??

Regular Contributor

@golfgreg74 wrote:

DVR Maint message in Nor Cal (again)...and the hits just keep coming!

same here in ATL - and scheduled recordings last night didn't record...as far as I can tell. I suppose the same for tonight. Smiley Sad

The re-boot power/20 seconds trick does no good either.

New Poster

Also in northern California, I can occasionally see/access my DVR recordings now. However, now I cannot get anything to record. So it is different than yesterday, but not fixed.

Most Valued Poster

@rog286713 wrote:

I have to ask.  Is the updated interface worth all this trouble??

Ha, and I thought I went through a lot of grief and aggravation with the S25 upgrade.  That was nothing like this and I did not have to pay extra for the upgrade.  Comcast graciously included it in the monthly bill.  

Frequent Visitor

IT IS WORKING!  (Sacramento, California)

I just turned it on.  The DVR is fine - all my recorded programs are there even the ones from last night.  They all play without a hitch.  The percentage indicator is 31% instead of around 90%.  This is perhaps high as the xfinity website says that box is at 17% capacity.  A rep told me that the X1 has about 60 hours of HD recording time.  (My second box is still having some problems so I am about to cold boot it.)

New Poster

uhhh - not mine.. the recordings were there - went to watch one & it went back to the maintenance message. nice.

Regular Contributor

Things seem to be working again....although very slow.

I do not have any recordings from Wednesday night.
Contributor

Great. New issue. Audio but no picture when I change channels.

>>>>Unplugging and plugging unit back in seems to have fixed this problem.

Contributor

And no DVR again on the other box.

>>>>>Restarting from device menu froze up the box partway through the boot process. After a few minutes, restarting by holding in the power switch caused a reboot, and dvr function returned. The dvr was already recording (should make the wife happy) even though I was getting the DVR maintenance thing again. But now I seem to have full funtionality again. Let's seem what happens again tomorrow. This have been like a week long thing that keeps getting progressively worse each evening.

Regular Contributor

DVR was working intermittently tonight. It would be an then it wouldnt be. But in all cases, my scheduled future recordings were unavailable.
Frequent Visitor

Here in Sacramento, my first X1 box is still working perfectly and perhaps even faster than ever before.  My other box still has some problems, but with some coaxing most all functions will work.  By deleting a single half hour program, the percentage dropped from 85% to 23%.  There is hope for everyone.  Good luck.

New Poster

Re: I cannot control my DVR from the internet

I have 5 X1 DVR's and it says the same thing "TV Control is not activated for this account" A tech has already been to my house and reset the boxes.  It still doesn't work.  Then he told me he knows nothing about X1 boxes and he can't help me and left. Great customer service.  Somebody please help me.  Also when I log in to manage my DVR'S, out of 5, only 1 shows up.  The other boxes aren't even showing up in the DVR Manager.  And I can't use any of the X1 apps on those 4 either.

Regular Contributor

Well good news so far.

As of this morning 4-5-13 all 3 of my X1 boxes are working great again!

They are all nice and fast and everything seems to be working the way it should.

I just hope and wish it would be like this 99.9% of the time!

....................................................................................

If Comcast can now fix some other issues like the Guide "Ghosting" though the show. And also fix most of the freezing issues. Like the fast forward 4X freeze for example and the sound issues where the sound cuts off for a split second every now and then I would be a happy customer for sure.

And then after that start adding more "features" so the UI is more user friendly Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I am not optimistic. I will wait to see if Thea boxes are working "perfectly" when I attempt to do anything during primetime.
Contributor

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Well good news so far.

They are all nice and fast and everything seems to be working the way it should.

....................................................................................

If Comcast can now fix some other issues like the Guide "Ghosting" though the show. And also fix most of the freezing issues. Like the fast forward 4X freeze for example and the sound issues where the sound cuts off for a split second every now and then I would be a happy customer for sure.

And then after that start adding more "features" so the UI is more user friendly Smiley Happy

Some of the sound problems are bandwidth problems. I find if I set the video resolution at 1080p, the sound will cut-out like you described, and eventually, the video resolution setting will revert to 720p. If I leave the resolution at 1080i, I don't have that problem, but I am not getting the full resolution I am paying for. I don't understand why, since my internet speed on the same cable is well over 50Mbps.

Frequent Visitor

My x1 worked fine at 8am this morning and now it is back to not working again. When you hit the record button to record instantly the current show, the instructions to record a series shows up

Frequent Visitor

They just went done again

Frequent Visitor

I just noticed that they are not working again

Frequent Visitor

The tech came by yesterday, and carried out that X1 box.  Hopefully in a coffin. He got it just before I grabbed the ax.   I'm hooked up to the old-timey Comcast DVR, and it works!

Frequent Visitor

I'd had ours yanked as well yesterday and got the silver Motorola box.  At least it works!!  I will not attempt X1 again until ALL the bugs are worked out.  I will keep monitoring this forum to see how things are going along.

Frequent Visitor

Isn't time that we heard from a Comcast Rep?  It seems like they have been fairly quiet for the past few days.

Regular Contributor

DVR Update - April 5, 2013

DVR Update (as of April 5, 2013): 

Some X1 customers may be experiencing temporary difficulties using their DVRs.  While we are working diligently to resolve this, affected customers can try pressing the front panel power button on their set-top box, waiting 5 – 10 seconds, and then pressing it again to help restore DVR functionality. 

We apologize to affected customers for any inconvenience. If you continue to have issues, please call 1-800-COMCAST or visit comcastsupport.com/X1 to chat online with a Comcast service representative. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: DVR Update - April 5, 2013

How

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

DVR Update (as of April 5, 2013): 

Some X1 customers may be experiencing temporary difficulties using their DVRs.  While we are working diligently to resolve this, affected customers can try pressing the front panel power button on their set-top box, waiting 5 – 10 seconds, and then pressing it again to help restore DVR functionality. 

We apologize to affected customers for any inconvenience. If you continue to have issues, please call 1-800-COMCAST or visit comcastsupport.com/X1 to chat online with a Comcast service representative. 

How about a credit, or free Cinemax for 30 days for all affected customers?

Problem Solver

@KuyaBill wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

Well good news so far.

Some of the sound problems are bandwidth problems. I find if I set the video resolution at 1080p, the sound will cut-out like you described, and eventually, the video resolution setting will revert to 720p. If I leave the resolution at 1080i, I don't have that problem, but I am not getting the full resolution I am paying for. I don't understand why, since my internet speed on the same cable is well over 50Mbps.

Technically speaking, practically none of the content is broadcast and sent using 1080p--most is usually 720p or possibly 1080i.  The box itself, once it receives the content, can upscale it to 1080p, if that's the selected resultion.

If there are some sort of sound or video "breakup" type of issues they might have to do with HDMI connectivity (assuming that's what's being used to connect to the TV) and/or any type of receiver that might be in between the box and TV, etc.

Problem Solver

@ozone1964 wrote:

I'd had ours yanked as well yesterday and got the silver Motorola box.  At least it works!!  I will not attempt X1 again until ALL the bugs are worked out.  I will keep monitoring this forum to see how things are going along.

Unfortunately all the bugs will never be worked out when it comes to any technology.  Even the years (if not decades) old existing Comcast service and boxes still have different kinds of issues here and there for different people--sure, they are typically smaller issues and/or ones that are more rare and/or don't affect as many people, but they still exist, and at times have been and can still be on the larger scale too.

That said, yes, X1 is still in its infancy, so to say, so there would definitely be more issues in this phase, and will hopefully stabilize and improve over time, as is usually the case with most technologies.

Frequent Visitor

I agree Kara T...considering my X1 has worked as it should approximately 75% of the time in 2013, I think a credit of some sort is in order.  Or something in exchange for hours of aggravation, long waits for clueless customer service reps, etc.

How about it?  How can we go about this?

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR maintenance and other issues

@KuyaBill wrote:

Who decided my dvr must go through its maintenance cycle every evening during primetime viewing, so that I can't set my dvr? I am getting frustrated more and more with this Xfinity platform. Why can't the filters be persistence more than a few minutes at a time? The guide is so primative! 

KuyaBill - I shared your feedback on persistant guide filters with the product management team. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Recorded Programs will not play

@MeatAssassin wrote:

My X1 box was horrible the last two nights as well.   I was not able to play the shows that were recorded on my DVR.   If I have a show recorded I should be able to play it even if there are problems retrieving the information about the show from the could.  That is a major design flaw.   

I was also unable to access the episode guides.

One sugesstion :  I had a show that recorded and it was was split into two episodes and I lost a few minutes, so I wanted to watch it on demand instead.   Apparently if you have a show recorded, you can not watch it on demand....

MeatAssassin - You should be able to playback a program on demand (even through its in your DVR). If you  go through the Episode Guide, you will see the DVR option, but if you go through on demand (from the menu bar), you can playback the on demand version. 

Frequent Visitor

Overlapping Programs

Have any of you encountered this:

- Have a series recording set for 9:00 to 10:00.  Have another for 9:00 to 9:30.  Have a third for 9:30-10:00.  Doesn't record the 9:30-10:00 because it thinks there are three being recorded at 9:30.  Checked all three shows and all start and end on time.

- Likewise, why doesn't it clip a show (instead of not recording) if there is a 1 minute overlap (say 8:00-8:31 for one show and 8:30-9:00 for the other).

- I've also noticed that if I record two shows on the same channel back to back, there is overlap in the recordings (seems to add 30 seconds or so to each show at beginning and end).  This may be causing the problem listed in my first bullet point, but again, all my shows are set to record with no additional time.

Also, wished the SCHEDULED listing would show those shows it is not recording (as the old moto boxes do) - with the flakiness of the X1 would be nice to know if the show isn't scheduled at all or if there is a priority problem (or this 1 minute overlap problem).

Frequent Visitor

Re: Overlapping Programs

DVR playback seems to work, but Scheduled recordings is empty.  If I go to a show that I know is scheduled for this evening and go into the options, it acts like it is setup to record, offering to let me adjust my series schedule...so sad that we are PAYING to be BETA testers!

New Poster

All of my scheduled series recordings are no longer showing in the DVR. They were all there a few hours ago. All regular (non series) scheduled recordings are there.
Frequent Visitor

I am on XRE Server Version Z.01.09 now (was .08 yesterday) and everything seems to be working again.  Whatever they did, seems to have fixed it here in Atlanta.

Regular Contributor

Red Recoding light on front of the X1 box is staying on again even after the recording is over Smiley Sad

Can Comcast fix this also please?

Frequent Visitor

I had the same issue with the red light being on, but it was off this morning. Then when I checked my list of recordings, some of the programs that had not been recorded and were definitely not on my list, are now on the list. I wonder if that's why the light was on.

New Poster

I'm pretty fed up with this whole thing. I have two HD boxes, one with DVR that I've had to unplug and reboot almost every day since I had it installed last month. The one without DVR has the same issue, though not every day. I get a black screen with sound. Last night I couldn't even get the picture to come up with a reboot, just sound. Now Comcast wants to send a service call out and give me a minimal credit for the x1 that has had issues all along. Might be time to switch to another company that doesn't release boxes before they are anywhere close to ready.
Regular Visitor

I have had my x1 boxes (5) 2 dvrs for a little over a week and every night it failed to record at least 1 show but did record some others although all were listed in the queue to record some nights the red light lit but the show did not record other nights it said dvr unavailable for any function in over 25 years first time really angry about my service just don't know if this a system problem or an equipment problem i have had a tech out since install.