Community Forum

X1 Forum

Regular Contributor

Re: Recorded Programs will not play

And the funny thing about all this is do you all relize comcast is already working on X2.

How about comcast get X1 running stable before moving to X2??? 

Contributor

My X1 box was horrible the last two nights as well.   I was not able to play the shows that were recorded on my DVR.   If I have a show recorded I should be able to play it even if there are problems retrieving the information about the show from the could.  That is a major design flaw.   

I was also unable to access the episode guides.

One sugesstion :  I had a show that recorded and it was was split into two episodes and I lost a few minutes, so I wanted to watch it on demand instead.   Apparently if you have a show recorded, you can not watch it on demand....

Regular Contributor

DVR functionality completely down here in Delaware as well.

So - over 12 hours now since this occurred.

So the primary, basic functionality of a DVR is to record programs - and they can't get that to work? Ugh.

Regular Contributor

But don't worry!!! I get my bill on time every month asking for payment.

Actually just got my reminder that my bill is now available for viewing.

How about this...you get payment, when I get what I am supposedly paying for?

Deal?
Contributor

Re: DVR maintenance and other issues

X-1 issue. When using the guide, You can select from three filters, HD only, Premium Only, and Favorites.

Every evening, the DVR responds sluggishly, sometimes having to wait up to ten minutes before a keypress is executed, or displays "DVR unavailable" or "Performing Maintenance - Will Return Shortly" or "No Recordings" or "No show scheduled for next 14 days - Please use guide to schedule shows."

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 just died

@thoma wrote:

I have some non-DVR X1 boxes and yesterday two boxes decided to re-boot at 16:10 EST.  I only watch TV on weekends but this seems to be happening more often now.  When I check the about, eveything is still the same.

Tom

thoma - the boxes occassionally reboot themselves, sometimes in order to push through new software. The boxes generally should not reboot themselves when they are in use (recording, live tv or watching on demand). If you are seeing that issue, please let me know via PM. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 just died

Let's see.  I can't access the DVR, can't watch recorded programs, can't record new ones.  I have about 4 hours of shows stored, and it says it's 95% full.  Why am I paying for this X1?

Regular Visitor

I agree; do not pay for boxes that do not work.  Pay your bill minus the rental charge for the boxes and remotes and then let's see Comcast's reaction ti this protest!

Problem Solver

@MeatAssassin wrote:

My X1 box was horrible the last two nights as well.   I was not able to play the shows that were recorded on my DVR.   If I have a show recorded I should be able to play it even if there are problems retrieving the information about the show from the could.  That is a major design flaw.   

I was also unable to access the episode guides.

One sugesstion :  I had a show that recorded and it was was split into two episodes and I lost a few minutes, so I wanted to watch it on demand instead.   Apparently if you have a show recorded, you can not watch it on demand....

I've actually had a few shows that were recorded on the DVR (and ran into issues playing them back), and I was still able to get to them and watch them via VOD (On-Demand) without any issues.

Problem Solver

Re: DVR maintenance and other issues

@KuyaBill wrote:

X-1 issue. When using the guide, You can select from three filters, HD only, Premium Only, and Favorites.

Every evening, the DVR responds sluggishly, sometimes having to wait up to ten minutes before a keypress is executed, or displays "DVR unavailable" or "Performing Maintenance - Will Return Shortly" or "No Recordings" or "No show scheduled for next 14 days - Please use guide to schedule shows."

I haven't really had to deal with the DVR issues before, but they have been pretty much regularly showing up for at least the past three or four evenings, and now even still there in the morning today.  There's definitely something going on with at least some of the boxes, if not quite a few of them, especially recently, when it comes to DVR functionality.

It's kind of sad that the one functionality--playing back an already recorded item--that should essentially function even withtout any cable connection or anything like that, since the item is stored locally on the drive of the box, is the very thing that seems to be having a lot of issues.  And even more so, when an older box--with the older non-X1 experience--that's nearby is having no issues at all recording and playing back whatever is stored on it.

Considering how seemingly widespread and pretty much obvious these DVR related issues have been recently, it would really be good to hear some official feedback about them.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

I am an engineer who works with cloud software (Azure, EC2) so I know how difficult it can be to make the application work perfectly especially during heavy load. 

That said I believe the whole design is flawed and will not work right until those issues are addressed. 

The dvr box should be able to be run as a standalone box sans cloud access with its own local recording settings and cached schedules.  It almost seems that each key press requires a cloud interaction.  During heavy use the reponse is dreadful.  Sometimes you cannot even start previously recorded programs due to the load.

So you either need to dynamically scale up the back end servers to meet the needs of ever increasing and variable load or make the box work in a more autonomous manner.

Myself I am going to be going back to old boxes until these at least do the basics reliably.

-Craig

Regular Contributor

Kara-

Is there ANY official word on this at all? It's now 1:20pm Eastern and I still cannot access anything on my DVR - and it's been this way since last evening.

It's obvious something seriously went wrong - at least provide an ETA when it is expected to be fixed.

Regular Contributor

Was able to access one recording around 2:30 - but after exiting, it's all screwed up again.

Can't delete it, nor watch anything else.

This is laughable.

Silver Problem Solver

usually the old comcast unplug will fix that.

New Poster

yeah, my DVR is messed up too. It either says that there are no recordings or that due to to system maintenance DVR is unavailable. It has been like this for 24 hours. 

Usually restarting or whatever should fix it, but no, restarting and even unplugging the box doesn't make a difference. I can somewhat view recordings by switching back and forth between Recordings, Scheduled, and Deleted until some recordings are displayed. Then if I try to select a recording, it loads a blank gray screen with no info. But if I repeat this maybe 30 times or so it works. 

I'm just going to try leaving it off for a few hours.

Frequent Visitor

X1 DVR

So cany anyone at Comcast inform your "loyal customers" as to why our DVR service is completely unavailable? And when it will be back up?

Seriously do you guys Beta test these new platforms before you send them out to the general public? Because the techs who installed it were utterly clueless, support on the phone is useless, and I'm paying $150 / month for this service and I get nothing but junk from this company!!

I really want to know the practicality behind the effect of linking each customer's DVR to a central national network that is subject to problems. I don't think TiVO does this. Heck, I bet FiOS isn't that supid (Though, I've been wrong).

If I record a program, and it stores it on my STB hard drive, then why on Earth can I not watch it whenever I want? WHAT IS THE POINT? You might as well remove all the hard drives and put the DVR service in the Cloud, at least then I would begin to appreciate patience during the outtage. And I swear to God if it is because of Copyright & DRM, then I will forever torrent all of my shows. I will especially torrent NBC & Universal media if this keeps happening. You don't provide me the content I pay for, I will take it from you.

Frequent Visitor

Well, until Comcast can get their act together regarding X1 as of tomorrow I am going back to the old box.  Obviously, they should actually get some professionals on this issue and fix it ASAP. Loved the new menu but waiting for the box to respond to key presses is ridiculous.  The FACT that Comcast let X1 out of the stable before actually making sure it works under a stress test is unprofessional to say the least and the customers ought to be compensated for beta testing this joke of a box considering the headaches it has caused.  And trying to get refunds is like pulling teeth.  Comcast guarantee - What a joke!!!Man Frustrated

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR

The x1 dvr is only available in a few markets.  Below is a link to the x1 thread where people with the box are suppose to post their issues.  You will see there 15 pages of problems. best bet is to bring it back and get your old box at least they work, not pretty but they work.  The idea of storing everything in the cloud is just not working for them. 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105

Problem Solver

@rog286713 wrote:

usually the old comcast unplug will fix that.

Unfortunately, a restart/reset (via unplugging and otherwise) being one of the first things that I (and it seems a fair number of those with X1 boxes that post in this thread) try, it doesn't really seem to do much of anything when it comes to this DVR recordings issue that has become that much more wedespread/noticeable over the past few days.

Regular Visitor

Funny pay for view works just fine. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Last night was quite bad.  2 DVR boxes with different issues.  One was a complete lockup that could only be reset with a cold boot.  The other was a DVR that was 34% full with zero recordings.   The wife is starting to get on my case about this as I was the one who wanted the X1. 

Kara - You are awfully silent today.  We depend on you to tell us what is going on.  I think most of us are to the point where if we arent compensated in some way or given some sort of update on when the next build will be pushed that resolves these issues or some other open kimono activity about what is really going on here that we are ready to fire the X1 or Comcast altogether.  Its one thing for the platform to be riddled with problems. Its compounded when Comcast wont come clean on what is going on

Problem Solver

@gregglf wrote:

Funny pay for view works just fine. 

Yeah, VOD (On-Demand), which requires much more, works without issues, yet simply getting to recordings that are locally stored on the box and playing them back (again, essentially all tasks that should be doable locally on the box) is full of issues for some reason.

New Poster

Having same problem.  Cannot watch my saved shows.  Cannot get anyone to help me either

Frequent Visitor

I am told there's a nation-wide outage, and "they're working on it"

Frequent Visitor

Hello everyone. I see that this thread is rife with the same kinds of complaints I have about this system.

It's funny how Comcast works so hard for their "Customer Guarantee" but, the truth is, they can't even guarantee that the service we all pay for works. I was apphalled to hear from the techs who installed my X1, that they have no idea how to use it. They never tried it, nor were ever trained on it.

As pointed out very early on, all the documentation is unreliable at best; with conflicting names, graphics, and support info.

My X1 boxes lack the capability to display a red REC light that is installed on the front. And when it does come one, well... nothing is recording. But, I wouldn't know because DVR hasn't been working.

These are, for lack of a better term, first world problems, and I get that. What angers me the most is the silence, and the arrogance of some of the tier 1 tech support. 

When I got X1, I was under the impression, while new, it worked well. That was a lie.

I WILL ADMIT that compared to the last revision, X1 is superior. The UI is GREAT (when it works), the RF remote is sleek, simple, and does it's job. The OnDemand is no longer a bunch of oval folders, but there are a few repeats and missing content. And Pandora was a nice touch; be nice to have Netflix and other real apps.

I love the screensaver as well, it would be nice to customize what kind of info shows up, and also I wish I could see more info from the stories that are shown, or a way to see ones I missed b/c I see them at the last second and then it flips to sports. Speaking of sports, the sports app is pretty cool too.

BOTTOM LINE: X1 is a quantum leap from what was the past, however this great achievement is marred by constant, albeit simple, bugs. Bugs that should have been taken care of in BETA. And if Comcast is eager to work on X2, I agree that X1 should be complete before you go changing it. Look at FiOS, their UI is soooooo slow, and it's build #3.

Silver Problem Solver

There is no nationwide outage, the x1 is available in a handful of markets so if there is an outage its only in the market that has the x1 which is few.  The box is obviously not tested correctly.  In my estimation from what I seee it will take them years to get this box to work the way they envision it.  Its just a poor implementation.  What upsets me the most is being a comcast customer for over 15 years and waiting for the next box with the upgrades and this is what we get.  A dog that cant even play back a recording.   I for one will not be with comcast when my promo is up in january if this box is not fixed and ready for the masses, they will not dare release this box in my market NJ as we can get fios, direct tv, dish, if we got that box and saw it we would jump ship in two seconds.  I thank you guys for beta testing that box for us but is the new guide really worth the whole experience not even working.??

Regular Visitor

Ive got nothing new to add but want my voice heard as well.

After the first week of not being able to set a series to record, it started working fine.

Now the issue is that like everyone else I am unable to watch anything I dvr'd. I can watch on demand just fine but not what I have recorded. The system also wont allow me to delete anything,  it wont even let me click on something on my recorded shows.

It also gets very very slow and jumpy as 8pm rolls around.

One issue down, a few more arrive..

New Poster

Same here in Carver MA. Just adding another voice.
Problem Solver

@nathank1989 wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the case.  Hopefully they'll make some good progress on this (much sooner than later), and actually find and resolve the underlying issue.

Problem Solver

@rog286713 wrote:

There is no nationwide outage, the x1 is available in a handful of markets so if there is an outage its only in the market that has the x1 which is few.  The box is obviously not tested correctly.  In my estimation from what I seee it will take them years to get this box to work the way they envision it.  Its just a poor implementation.  What upsets me the most is being a comcast customer for over 15 years and waiting for the next box with the upgrades and this is what we get.  A dog that cant even play back a recording.   I for one will not be with comcast when my promo is up in january if this box is not fixed and ready for the masses, they will not dare release this box in my market NJ as we can get fios, direct tv, dish, if we got that box and saw it we would jump ship in two seconds.  I thank you guys for beta testing that box for us but is the new guide really worth the whole experience not even working.??

Well, techinically speaking, if it's an outage/issue that affects all of the X1 service, then no matter where the X1 service is avialble throughout the nation (even if just a few markets out of many others) it would apply to it--thus for the X1 service it would in fact be a nationwide issue.

Problem Solver

I'll just mentione what's in another thread about this at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-DVR/m-p/1646403 (a thread which will likely get merged into this one at some point):

@nathank1989 wrote:

Yeah, that seems to be the case.  Hopefully they'll make some good progress on this (much sooner than later), and actually find and resolve the underlying issue.

Regular Contributor

I can't even change the channel now - this is unbelievable.

Regular Contributor

Completely down here in Delaware.

Tried rebooting - can't even get a picture to come up now. Previously had it stuck on Fox Soccer - couldn't bring up menus, change the channel, nothing.

This is going to be a long night. May need to go hit the bar

New Poster

Re: DVR Service not available????

I just received the X1 box and it won't let me record shows online, then when they record on the box no function comes up to allow you to actually watch what you recorded. How does a the base function of a DVR be the main component that doesn't work.

I may have made a mistake in switching over from Direct TV...never had an issue with the whole home DVR and their Genie box, which records up to 6 shows...Comcast said the X1 would do the same, then 4, but it really only records 2 shows at a time...annoyed and staring at my cancellation paperwork.

Problem Solver

Re: DVR Service not available????

There's been an ongoing DVR issue of some sort related to X1 services--it's been intermittent over the last few days and got worse over the last day--which is being worked on and should hopefully restore all or at the very least main DVR features sometime soon, so that should at least address that part of it.

You can check the existing ongoing X1 thread at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105 for some more information/updates in relation to X1.
Regular Visitor

in Philly... my box reset last night in middle of program.. since then... slow and crappy.. tonight.. tried to get to guide, tried to change channel... nothing.. hard reset.. back to "step 8: Connecting"  channel comes back on.. hit xfinity button... tells me i need to restart box.. hit ok.. nothing.. back to NOTHING!!

Frequent Visitor

cant playback recordings

I've been having issues for the last couple of days not being able to view or delete recordings on my x1 box. it often says system maintenance being performed. I've power cycled and rebooted to no avail.

Anyone else having this issue.

I'm in the California region

Frequent Visitor

Deleting recordings on x1 box

Anyone know how to permanently delete more than one recording at a time from the deleted folder on the x1 box, or better yet, if you can delete the recording just once and not have to worry about going in to the deleted program folder where it will still take up hard drive space?

Frequent Visitor

@mr1581 wrote:

in Philly... my box reset last night in middle of program.. since then... slow and crappy.. tonight.. tried to get to guide, tried to change channel... nothing.. hard reset.. back to "step 8: Connecting"  channel comes back on.. hit xfinity button... tells me i need to restart box.. hit ok.. nothing.. back to NOTHING!!

I had the same issue.  Tried unplugging.  Nothing.  Got the CSR56  (or something like that) error and told to reset.  Nothing.  Then I held down the green power button for about 10 seconds - it rebooted and I got my channels back.  Can watch TV or VOD but no DVR service.  But at least I can watch TV again.  Try the green power button.

How much of a credit is/should Comcast giving people for this?  Perhaps if they have to pay out a lot of money in credits they will never launch an alpha product again.

New Poster

My tv started to work (except for the DVR) when i took the batteries out of the remote and then put them back in.

New Poster

Take the batteries out of your remote and then put  them back in it helped for my TV.

Regular Contributor

They pushed a new XRE Server code out - go to the About tab and you'll see it.

It's brought back TV capability, but DVR is still out cold. This is unacceptable.

Regular Contributor

Re: Deleting recordings on x1 box

@trog01 wrote:

Anyone know how to permanently delete more than one recording at a time from the deleted folder on the x1 box, or better yet, if you can delete the recording just once and not have to worry about going in to the deleted program folder where it will still take up hard drive space?

Press the 'D' button while a show or folder (series) of shows is selected in the DVR recordings list. That should delete it / move it to the Deleted section. I wouldn't worry about shows in the Deleted Shows list taking up space. I've erased shows from that list and seen inconsistent changes to my free space indicator. Sometimes it goes down, other times it goes up. If I ignore the Deleted section, it generally takes care of itself. I think.  

Regular Contributor

Instead of the profanity-laced message I really want to type out (or even using --- substitutes), I'll try to be more productive and find out who's having major outage-like problems, and where we are. I saw the link to the other thread about this issue, but it looks like it's been merged into this one already. 

As for me... I'm in the Boston metro area. My DVR has been down to "maintenance" since at least 6:45pm (it's now 8:20), and my VOD service is very unreliable as well--I got an episode listing for one show, once, and should have watched right then, because when I went back several times it just shows me the infernal spinning circle.

What is going on, Comcast? I think I'm going to go read a book. Is that what you want???

Problem Solver

@PSUMattDE wrote:

They pushed a new XRE Server code out - go to the About tab and you'll see it.

It's brought back TV capability, but DVR is still out cold. This is unacceptable.

Out of curiosity (and to compare), what's new/different on the About screen for you?

New Poster

I'm having the same issues.  Device shows as 96% full despite repeated attempts to permenantly delete shows that were in the deleted list.  I cannot view shows or effectively delete them, oftentimes nothing displays on the DVR tab.  This has been happening for the last two days.

New Poster

dvr maintenance

All of a sudden I can not view any recordings.  I get a message that says Due to system maintenance, DVR is unavailable.  I have rebooted, power offed sever times.  Any one have an idea?

New Poster

This X1 box has been a total piece of garbage the entire time I've had it. It's amazing to think that Comcast was comfortable releasing such an unstable product.

I think this latest major national outage is the last straw for me. Fortunately, I have options in Boston. RCN, here I come!

New Poster

dvr system maintainance

For 2 days now, I've been unable to watch the shows I have recorded. When I go to DVR, I get an onscreen message that says "due to system maintenance, DVR is unavailable. This feature will be ready shortly." It's been 2 days now, how much longer will it take? Thanks!
Frequent Visitor

Not only is the DVR service down, but the call center/IVR is cutting off customers as they call in to report issues. Might be a good idea for the Comcast call center supervisor to check the ACD stats to see how many callers are getting cut off. This type of mishandling of customer calls just makes a bad situation worse. I've called in about 20 times tonight and have been cut off 18 times when dialing the X1 "help" line.