Community Forum

X1 Forum

Contributor

Re: Search Function

@acheck981 wrote:

I have a new complaint/issue.

Prior to a recent update, when searching, I had the ability to either select to watch something on demand or find times the program was playing in the future.

Now when you search for something, if it's an demand film or show, it does not give you the option to see when it is playing it forces you to select on demand.

Two examples.

Phil Specter - It's on demand...but also replaying on HBO on occassion.  Run a search...only get on demand option.

Total Recall - Currently an on demand film, however is on HBO or Starz...can't remember which, later this week.  When using the search, only the on demand option comes up.

Why do I no longer have the option to maybe record a future showing of a movie or show?

Why is this box and interface so buggy?

Why is this thread over 12 pages long and nothing being done to make up for any of this.

Just a bunch of "We're sorry" and "we're working on it" doesn't exactly cut it.

When i do a search for phil spector i actually see 2 results that say movie under the name, One takes me to VOD the other is HBO HD.

But it still shouldn't be in 2 different results , it all should be under one.

Problem Solver

Re: New build update

@aguiar0016 wrote:

Looks like the X1 now has a build with the date of 3-11. just pushed today sometime.

Good to hear that there's a new update that seems to be making its way to the boxes.  Hopefully this fixes the video output issue--where the video output resolution was completely missing in the device settings section and the video resolution was simply set to 720p--for those who have been experienceing it since the last one or two updates (me being one of those people).

Regular Contributor

@aguiar0016 wrote:

@acheck981 wrote:

Prior to a recent update, when searching, I had the ability to either select to watch something on demand or find times the program was playing in the future.

Now when you search for something, if it's an demand film or show, it does not give you the option to see when it is playing it forces you to select on demand.

Two examples.

Phil Specter - It's on demand...but also replaying on HBO on occassion.  Run a search...only get on demand option.

Total Recall - Currently an on demand film, however is on HBO or Starz...can't remember which, later this week.  When using the search, only the on demand option comes up.

Why do I no longer have the option to maybe record a future showing of a movie or show?

Why is this thread over 12 pages long and nothing being done to make up for any of this.

When i do a search for phil spector i actually see 2 results that say movie under the name, One takes me to VOD the other is HBO HD.

If you click into the first one....it's Phil Specter on the HBO latino channels.

The second one is the English version which only allows you to watch On Demand.

Contributor

Why the X1 is so problematic

In an earlier posting snowrain and some others have hit upon the true problem with the X1.  The fundamental design appears totally flawed and should be completely scrapped.  The X1 appears to depend on central servers to do anything.  This is a fatal flaw since it puts single points of failure in series with every action performed by every customer.  With a centralized design there are MANY, MANY items ALL of which must be functioning properly for the end user to accomplish any given task, regardless of how simple the action may be.  Performance of such designs will only get worse and worse over time as the number of simultaneous users increase, components age, and servers or any number of networking devices saturate or fail.  "Software updates" will never solve the major defects inherent in such centralized designs.

I have a master's degree in computer science and worked 28 years for a major computer company.  I specialized in performance analysis of computer systems and managed a team of engineers who worked with large Internet accounts.  Anytime a centralized design such as the X1 was deployed, inevitably it suffered from unacceptable latency problems and dis-satisfied end users.  People are very sensitive to latency and any response delay greater than 500 mS (yes, that's only 1/2 second) will feel extremely sluggish and slow.  A response delay of 1 second is almost unusable and contributes to many of the issues Comcast customers are experiencing with the X1.  The absolute maximum tolerable delay on a very occasional basis is 7 seconds.  Anything over 7 seconds is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!  Anything over 1/2 second for 99.9% of all actions is also totally unacceptable in the long run.

Having used the Direct TV DVR, I can tell you it does not suffer the long latency issues of the X1 since it is not reliant upon centralized servers.  If Comcast persists with this type of fundamentally flawed design, it will definitely lose customers and market share.  I chose Comcast instead of Direct TV because they offered phone and Internet service in addition to TV.

This is my first experience with Comcast, having become a new customer at the end of January.  I am very disappointed with the X1 situation and the near $200 per month I'm  paying for mediocre TV service.  So far the phone service is good - I am happy with it.  Internet service is much faster than my old DSL when it works properly.

Contributor

Acheck981,
Your right I didn't even look to see if it was on a English channel. There is something wrong with the search, I found Phil spector on HBO for wed 2:15-4:00 pm.
Regular Contributor

Re: Why the X1 is so problematic

Cloud technology doesn't necessarily imply a single point of failure.  In fact enterprise cloud solutions typically have a lot of redundancy.  That doesn't mean the concept isn't flawed.  There's a lot an old fashioned VCR could do with no network (other than sort out the clock Smiley Happy ) that these boxes cannot do - no network and they are brain dead - that's not a great design.

If the servers are all centralized as you suggest, then...ughhhh...nightmare.

I don't get how TIVO has had this working for absolute years - we still have an original Philips TIVO that worked great - we no longer use it, but not because it didn't work - it's just old.  This isn't rocket science - even if it was, we've had that sorted out since the 1960's.

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity X1 Resolution and Audio issues

I am having an issue where the X1 DVR. It seems to reset itself to 720p resolution after some period of time.  I go in and set them to 1080p and then I look again a few days later and its back to 720p along with the audio switching back to stereo from surround.  What's happening here?  The DVR is currently hooked up to my Sony STRDH710 with a HDMI passthrough. PLEASE HELP!!!! 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

Yes, we're having the same problem with series recordings. I can see them in the series priority, but not scheduled. Additionally, it's not recording anything. I can select a single program to record, but when it should start, the red dot next to the program turns in to the red circle with a line through it. Bummer, I'm paying for two DVRs with no "R"...
Frequent Visitor

Okay, little more triage, it won't record HD programs, but single SD programs will record. Still no series. How do you get the Mar 11 update? I have Mar 02.
Frequent Visitor

XFinity X1, or as some may say, the worst ever implementation of a new cable box software ever released.  Apparently those in the know think that they have the best ideas, like keeping things in The Cloud, ooh, The Cloud!!  Well, that cloud is a storm cloud and full of all kinds of nasty weather.  I had a new X1 box installed a week ago Saturday.  The menu in my honest opinion is nothing short of great, the software that runs it, not so much.  One of the newest technologies is called cloud computing or cloud storage which works great in theory, if it is implemented properly.  Comcast or XFinity (The name they rebranded themselves with) decided to use cloud storage in a big way with their new X1 cable boxes.  From what I have heard, it stores or caches a lot of operational information and common items likes channel logos and TV/Movie Posters on centralized servers.  That would work wonderful, as long as there is not a heavy load on said servers or routing issues.  Also, the biggest problem I have seen so far, you must have a very clear and strong signal coming in to your living space in order for the box to work properly at all.  Without the clear and strong signal, the box is all but useless as you have to deal with line latency, pushing buttons and having to wait for the box to respond, or at worst, having to reboot the box by pressing and holding the green power light for five seconds.  First of all, apparently the software engineers have allowed for no latency whatsoever and perfect line conditions.  Also, having a centralized server is only asking for headaches, which will only trickle down to your user base which is so frustrated with how the X1 system has been implemented thus far are spreading the word far and wide and making it well known that Comcast/XFinity is public enemy #1.  Hearing that DirectTV has had a similarly updated box and guide for the last couple of years without as many issues goes to show that they apparently have a crack team that is looking to please their user base and give them the best user experience possible.  I have a technician coming later this morning and if he can’t fix the issues, the new X1 box is gone for now.  Anyway, I will update you folks on how this all turns out and let you know what happens.  Remember that the signal quality has to be about perfect if you expect the new X1 box to work properly, minus the bugs and glitches.  Note to Comcast/XFinity software engineers, how about using storage locally for logos and such so the boxes will stop having to fetch everything, apparently even pressing a button has to go past Comcast servers and back in order to work right. Really Comcast??  Get with the program!!!

Most Valued Poster

@santa-clara wrote:

In an earlier posting snowrain and some others have hit upon the true problem with the X1.  The fundamental design appears totally flawed and should be completely scrapped.  The X1 appears to depend on central servers to do anything.  This is a fatal flaw since it puts single points of failure in series with every action performed by every customer.  With a centralized design there are MANY, MANY items ALL of which must be functioning properly for the end user to accomplish any given task, regardless of how simple the action may be.  Performance of such designs will only get worse and worse over time as the number of simultaneous users increase, components age, and servers or any number of networking devices saturate or fail.  "Software updates" will never solve the major defects inherent in such centralized designs.

I have a master's degree in computer science and worked 28 years for a major computer company.  I specialized in performance analysis of computer systems and managed a team of engineers who worked with large Internet accounts.  Anytime a centralized design such as the X1 was deployed, inevitably it suffered from unacceptable latency problems and dis-satisfied end users.  People are very sensitive to latency and any response delay greater than 500 mS (yes, that's only 1/2 second) will feel extremely sluggish and slow.  A response delay of 1 second is almost unusable and contributes to many of the issues Comcast customers are experiencing with the X1.  The absolute maximum tolerable delay on a very occasional basis is 7 seconds.  Anything over 7 seconds is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!  Anything over 1/2 second for 99.9% of all actions is also totally unacceptable in the long run.

Having used the Direct TV DVR, I can tell you it does not suffer the long latency issues of the X1 since it is not reliant upon centralized servers.  If Comcast persists with this type of fundamentally flawed design, it will definitely lose customers and market share.  I chose Comcast instead of Direct TV because they offered phone and Internet service in addition to TV.

This is my first experience with Comcast, having become a new customer at the end of January.  I am very disappointed with the X1 situation and the near $200 per month I'm  paying for mediocre TV service.  So far the phone service is good - I am happy with it.  Internet service is much faster than my old DSL when it works properly.

Well, I am looking forward to a response from either Kara or Ted on this.  What is Comcast's view of the latency issues of this design and what points does Comcast have to offer to challenge what Santa Clara has brought up?

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

I'm having two issues with the X1. Over the past month or so, when I use the main power button to shut off the TV and the Cable box, the TV turns off fine, but the green light on the cable box flickers for a moment, but then stays on. This is extremely annoying since there isn't a specific "cable box power" button on the remote, so I can't just press a button to turn it off. This happens probably 9 out of every 10 times I try to turn the TV off. 

Second, and I think I saw a few people post about this, but when pressing the Xfinity button to get to my channel guide or DVR, half of the time the screen is two slow to respond. Pressing any button on the remote does nothing (even though I sometimes see the green light on the box respond that I've pressed a button). The whole interface freezes for minutes at a time until it eventually let's me exit. Sometimes it'll work immediately after that, but many times it'll still just freeze if I go back. This probably happens the most when looking at the DVR portion of the Xfinity menu.

Little help?

Regular Contributor

How to Interpret % Full on X1 Box?

Box shows 82% Full.

Is this:

- a) Full of stuff I need to watch to make more room?

- or b) Full of stuff I have deleted but is still hanging around?

If (b) which seems likely, why is this useful?  Seems like I'd want to know if I was running out of room - anything else is just geeky info I may or may not need.

How does one know when the box is actually too full to record new shows?

--------

That and before we rebooted it this morning, it was 54% full, but after the reboot was 82% full.

Recording light stuck on again all night too.

Is there a target date when these things are supposed to be functional in a way that normal people will want to use them?

Contributor

Perfect example of X1 latency defect

phmatt11 wrote:

"Second, and I think I saw a few people post about this, but when pressing the Xfinity button to get to my channel guide or DVR, half of the time the screen is two slow to respond. Pressing any button on the remote does nothing (even though I sometimes see the green light on the box respond that I've pressed a button). The whole interface freezes for minutes at a time until it eventually let's me exit. Sometimes it'll work immediately after that, but many times it'll still just freeze if I go back. This probably happens the most when looking at the DVR portion of the Xfinity menu."

Irratic, unpredictable and non-repeatable behavior like this is exactly what happens with a centralized design. You press a button on your remote and the green light on the X1 blinks indicating the signal from the remote was received by the X1 box, but then nothing happens for an indeterminate amount of time.  That's the unacceptable latency caused by trying to communicate with a central server rather than performing the action locally on the X1 box.  This type of sluggish, frustrating, and unusable behavior is inherent with centralized designs which send messages back and forth from the X1 to a central server.

Contributor

Re: How to Interpret % Full on X1 Box?

The issue screenname137 and many others are having with % full on the X1 are again an example of trying to store inappropriate X1 state information on a central server rather than locally in the X1 box.  The X1 box is the only device which should keep track of it's own state information such as how much space is used on its local hard drive.  The % full number would then be accurate and timely as new shows are recorded and old ones deleted on the X1.  Attempting to keep everyone's X1 state information on a central server is extremely problematic.  If any message gets garbled or isn't processed properly by the central server, then the server's X1 state information is no longer correct.  Depending on the reliability of the database implementation on the central server, the % full number will vary with time as seen by screenname137 and others - example: the number could be 54% at one time and 82% at another time with no actual change being made on the X1 box - just attempts to "recover" or "synchronize" database information on the central server.

Regular Contributor

Re: How to Interpret % Full on X1 Box?

I've seen some progress in some areas, but problems still remain. I can record series. I also can now watch when series is in the midst of being recorded.

I do seem eratic bahavior on the % full number. I also still see progreams disapppear, than reapper a few days later. The remote is ranges from very fast to very laggy. 

I have never had the issue some complain of that the box won't show/allow HD or surround sound. I'm wondering if its a HDMI communications issue with those folks...flawed cable, TV, or X1 box communication? 

Regular Contributor

Any Updates on Conflicts?

When will we begin to see these in scheduled recordings, so I don't have to scroll through the entire guide every night?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Any Updates on Conflicts?

I would also like some transparency into the issue with series recordings. I just got the X1 and have been frustrated with the complete lack of functionality with series recorings. I don't even know when my shows come on, so I don't know when to check the guide.

Regular Visitor

Re: Perfect example of X1 latency defect

I won't disagree with your premise, having a centralized server that has to respond to each and every interaction is definitely a problem. Building for performance based on cacheing of data and not doing the same task multiple times would help the system, but doesn't seem like it's taken into account much.

That said, I appreciate having up to date information, which is something I've definitely missed from other cable boxes in the past. They just need to dial it in somewhere in the middle. I don't know if that's even possible, but I'll leave my speculations at that and hope for a response from someone at comcast.

I think we can all agree rolling out a new piece of software and hardware in Silicon Valley might be great for comcast, because they know they're going to hear the truth from a bunch of software and hardware developers. Unfortunately that means a bunch of people who do similar things for a living will all speculate and tell them what they've done wrong.

Frequent Visitor

I'd like to know this too. I haven't figured out how to trigger the update. I did call in for help and was told that a tier 2 advisor would call me, but that was two days ago and I haven't heard anything. I'm really disappointed.
Frequent Visitor

Yesterday I was schooled in INGRESS and what it can do to DOCSIS based cable systems.  If you have Ingress on your cable coming into your box, this is probably most of the problems with your X1 setups. My X1 cable box is now speedy and working without all the issues that were once plaguing my setup.  My thanks goes out to Jason the awesome XFinity Tech who fixed my issue within 15 minutes and taught me about INGRESS and what it can do to modern DOCSIS systems. You Rock man!!! My entire broadband experience, TV, Internet, Phone is now faster, clearer and better than ever before!!

Here's a link to signal leakage

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/signal-leakage-what-to-expect/m-p/896289#M24007

Regular Visitor

I don’t know about most people, but their support - while friendly - has been ZERO help. We are all just complaining about issues and nothing is being done about them. In the past week, I have made MANY calls, spoken with 7 different technicians, left voicemails, been "escalated" (TWICE), and spoken with management. Every time the conversation ends with a promise from them to take care of the issue and that they'll call me back.  They NEVER CALL and the issue is NEVER resolved!   It is blatantly obvious to me that support cannot will not help me.  It all feels like an intentional runaround to frustrate me from calling back. But they don't get to win. We do not have to accept this service. 

To Comcast.  I have tried the proper channels. They don’t work.  I know Comcast also reviews these forums. I expect my problem to be resolved ASAP (see my earlier posts, or my open tickets). I have also explained it clearly to you verbally several times now. Like everyone else, I pay too much for this service.  I would have gladly left by now if it weren't for your monopoly in my area and the fact that DirecTV is not feasible at my house.  

All I want is what I pay for. That is your obligation. I have been compliant. I have been patient. And I have been reasonable.  But, I will not continue to be these things if Comcast will not make this right.

Contributor

audio drops x1 dvr

1. Can we please have a separate x1 forum instead of one x1 thread...

2. Anyone having problems with x1 DVR box dropping audio via HDMI when connected to audio receiver? Its drops either completely or lowers dramatically. I have it set to surround. Its connected to an onkyo tx-nr818. I have noticed some improvement when using optical out. I've confirmed its not the receiver. I have read posts stating possible problem with Comcast handshake to receiver.

Edit: just want to add that the audio only drops for a second and then returns to normal. I have tried two different HDMI cables. Not positive if they are 1.3 vs 1.4

Cheers
Contributor

I lost another recording last night for The Following.   Has there been any update on this issue?

Regular Contributor

Re: audio drops x1 dvr

@Dillinger wrote:
1. Can we please have a separate x1 forum instead of one x1 thread...

2. Anyone having problems with x1 DVR box dropping audio via HDMI when connected to audio receiver? Its drops either completely or lowers dramatically. I have it set to surround. Its connected to an onkyo tx-nr818. I have noticed some improvement when using optical out. I've confirmed its not the receiver. I have read posts stating possible problem with Comcast handshake to receiver.

No problems with HDMI here.  We have one box connected directly to a Sony TV / HDMI and another to a Denon 3808CI / HDMI and on to an old Samsung DLP TV / HDMI.  Both sets are 1080i - not sure what level of HDMI they are right off the bat, but none are the latest - probably 1.3 (best case) and earlier.

HDMI can be tricky though.  Make sure your HDMI cable is good - maybe try another.

Regular Contributor

@MeatAssassin wrote:

I lost another recording last night for The Following.   Has there been any update on this issue?

We have had a few get lost temporarily - sometimes reappearing in the list up to a week later.

Contributor

Thanks... Your box connected to your denon, is it a DVR or just HD?
Frequent Visitor

A tip of the hat to you CRJS!  We have had the same experience with over 16 tickets being opened since January for the same issues and getting the same run around.  I thought there was some hope when Kara who monitors the forum reached out to me to see what was going on and to escalate the issue to "senior management."  Yet nothing has happened and we have techs coming to the house again today to do the same basic steps of test the line, replace the box.  To top that off, I have not heard back from the Tier 2 techs that were to call me nor have I heard back from Kara for several days.  I guess I have fallen into the black hole where people that don't give up looking for a stable product worth the price we pay go when Comcast gets frustrated with us. 

I have begun the search to find out what agency regulates cable in our community and in California to reach out to them and potentially the State's Attorneys General to seek some resolution based on the fact that these are known issues and that Comcast continues to knowingly put a non-working product out to the public.

Good luck

Problem Solver

@maxxdublin wrote:

A tip of the hat to you CRJS!  We have had the same experience with over 16 tickets being opened since January for the same issues and getting the same run around.  I thought there was some hope when Kara who monitors the forum reached out to me to see what was going on and to escalate the issue to "senior management."  Yet nothing has happened and we have techs coming to the house again today to do the same basic steps of test the line, replace the box.  To top that off, I have not heard back from the Tier 2 techs that were to call me nor have I heard back from Kara for several days.  I guess I have fallen into the black hole where people that don't give up looking for a stable product worth the price we pay go when Comcast gets frustrated with us. 

I have begun the search to find out what agency regulates cable in our community and in California to reach out to them and potentially the State's Attorneys General to seek some resolution based on the fact that these are known issues and that Comcast continues to knowingly put a non-working product out to the public.

Good luck

Customer care itself aside, a lot of the issues can actually be due to various technical issues--actual bugs, features that haven't been implemented, infrastructure that hasn't been or can't be updated for one reason or another, etc.--and in at least some of those cases, if not most, there's not much that can be done aside from perhaps some sort of an update that would be made either for the box itself and/or for the "cloud" services that are used by the box.

Unforatuntely, it's more than likely that no one really knows when those can happen given that often enough even the engineering teams working on those issues/features are not quite sure of when all or even some of them would end up getting realeased.

There would be many many pieces that have to fit together with something as large as this, and short of something in the very immediate future that is more or less set in place--and customer care and others are notified about it--it's pretty much impossible to tell when something might actually be addressed, added, etc.

And, unfortunatley, this is often how it is when it comes to huge companies with many working pieces in many different areas supporting many customers.  It's not exactly good, but it's pretty much reality.

Regular Contributor

well i have only one thing to say to all of you that are having all these problems.

REQUEST A CREDIT, you really should be getting one.  Comcast is usually good about these things, i dont know about how they are in this area regarding the X1 service though.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording Light

I now have the recording light (staying on) issue as well.
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know it X1 will ever be available for non-triple play customers? I would have thought it changed by now, but apparently not.
Frequent Visitor

I called last night and found out some info. I don't have any solid answers, but it might help set better expectations. They are aware of the series recording issue...they're working on it. I also found out that it can take 72 business hours for Tier 2 to contact you once they've been assigned your case. So for those of you who haven't heard back from them, that's likely why.
Regular Contributor

What's strange to me is how different people are having different problems. I've never had a problem with recording a series, and my red light now goes on when its recording and off when it is not. Nor have I had issues with it kicking down from HD to SD. I have, however, had recordings mysteriously disappear, and then reappears a few days later.

One would think that system wide bugs, especially given how much of this X1 stuff seems to be in the cloud, would be system wide. Really weird.

Regular Contributor

@Dillinger wrote:
Thanks... Your box connected to your denon, is it a DVR or just HD?

DVR

Problem Solver

@C_DM wrote:

@aguiar0016 wrote:

Looks like the X1 now has a build with the date of 3-11. just pushed today sometime.

Good to hear that there's a new update that seems to be making its way to the boxes.  Hopefully this fixes the video output issue--where the video output resolution was completely missing in the device settings section and the video resolution was simply set to 720p--for those who have been experienceing it since the last one or two updates (me being one of those people).

Well, looks like my X1 box got the March 11th update last night as well, and I'm happy to report that it seems to have addressed the video output resolution issue that an earlier update introduced--the resolution went back to 1080p (after having gone down to 720p), and the resolution drop-down menu is now present once again in the video output section of device settings menu allowing the resolution to be changed (if desired).

Silver Problem Solver

Question for those with this box.   When you are viewing an on demand show and it ends and you want to go to the next episode currently on comcast boxes you have to go back out to the main menu and come back in through multiple screens to show the next episode.  Does the x1 do the same or is it more intuitive??

Regular Visitor

New X-1 DVR

Just had new  X-1 HD DVR boxes installed.  When something is upgraded, you assume that features you have will not be taken away.  HOWEVER, our old DVR remote control had a Auxiliary button which we used for controlling the volume on our additional speakers.  The remote controller for the X-1 does not have an auxiliary button.  Therefore, we have to use two remote controllers--one for the DVR and one for the volume.  Very frustrating.  We are having the old style DVR reinstalled.  

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: X1 TV Interface's Missing Features

modify a series recording without having to search for the show

-just use the priority list

confirmation prompt after clicking to delete a recording

-would be nice, but then again they do have a trash bucket so you =can simply Restore

skip forward 30 seconds in a recording

-Page Up (assuming they gave you the recent firmware updates)

skip forward a day in the guide

-boy I wish !

The biggest flaw I see - finicky series recordings .. while they do set up, they often will not include the next one or two episodes which is amazingly frustrating

I also suspect that putting a manual episode recording on a show that is already a series recording, creates a coflict where nothing records at all

Overall I love the box and guide, but it is a bit quirky. Then again, so is Dish's Genie

Waiting for them to enable the six tuners that are already in here, and the AnyRoom feature which is also already in here.

Oh and it would be nice to be able to set a manual recording time .. 

The Mentalist is infamous for starting late around here, and since you cannot tell it to record up to two hours after the end (they advertise this), you have to series record the next show, which happens to be the nightly news so you can imagine how frustrating that gets ?

New Poster

Re: New X-1 DVR

There are 2 versions of the XR2 remote for the X1 platform. Version R1 can only be programmed to control either your TV or your auxillary sound system, whereas with the R2 version, you can control both. You can check the version type on the bottom of the back of your remote. This will tell you how to program your version R2 remote to control both your TV and sound system.

Also, you may want to take any other questions/complaints about your X1 hardware here.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the quick response HOWEVER I am not talking about pairing my X-1 remote with the X-1 DVR.  I am talking about not being able to control my auxiliary speakers from the DVR remote like I could with the old DVR model.  I do not use the television speakers.  I have better speakers that I use.  There is no auxiliary button on the new X-1 remote control to pair with the volume control on our receiver.  Therefore, I am using two remote controls:  the X-1 DVR remote control and our receiver remote control for volume.  Not good to take away something that you were providing.

Problem Solver

@golfinmom wrote:

Thanks for the quick response HOWEVER I am not talking about pairing my X-1 remote with the X-1 DVR.  I am talking about not being able to control my auxiliary speakers from the DVR remote like I could with the old DVR model.  I do not use the television speakers.  I have better speakers that I use.  There is no auxiliary button on the new X-1 remote control to pair with the volume control on our receiver.  Therefore, I am using two remote controls:  the X-1 DVR remote control and our receiver remote control for volume.  Not good to take away something that you were providing.

There are ways to program the R2 version of the XR2 remote to work with an auxiliary sound system--you can check out a thread like the one at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/XR2-R2-Audio-Device-Codes/td-p/1550555 for more information.

Problem Solver

Re: X1 TV Interface's Missing Features

@Anon1003785 wrote:

modify a series recording without having to search for the show

-just use the priority list

confirmation prompt after clicking to delete a recording

-would be nice, but then again they do have a trash bucket so you =can simply Restore

skip forward 30 seconds in a recording

-Page Up (assuming they gave you the recent firmware updates)

skip forward a day in the guide

-boy I wish !

The biggest flaw I see - finicky series recordings .. while they do set up, they often will not include the next one or two episodes which is amazingly frustrating

I also suspect that putting a manual episode recording on a show that is already a series recording, creates a coflict where nothing records at all

Overall I love the box and guide, but it is a bit quirky. Then again, so is Dish's Genie

Waiting for them to enable the six tuners that are already in here, and the AnyRoom feature which is also already in here.

Oh and it would be nice to be able to set a manual recording time .. 

The Mentalist is infamous for starting late around here, and since you cannot tell it to record up to two hours after the end (they advertise this), you have to series record the next show, which happens to be the nightly news so you can imagine how frustrating that gets ?

You can set up a manual/timed recording.  Go to the large "full screen" guide (by pressing the GUIDE button twice), then scroll up or down to get to the channel that you want to set up the recording for, and then press left until you are at the leftmost cell in the grid for that channel, which is basically the channel number/name/logo.  Once you are there, press the INFO button on the remote and on the following information screen for the channel there should be an option to set up a (manual/timed) recording for it.

Bronze Problem Solver

@golfinmom wrote:

Just had new  X-1 HD DVR boxes installed.  When something is upgraded, you assume that features you have will not be taken away.  HOWEVER, our old DVR remote control had a Auxiliary button which we used for controlling the volume on our additional speakers.  The remote controller for the X-1 does not have an auxiliary button.  Therefore, we have to use two remote controllers--one for the DVR and one for the volume.  Very frustrating.  We are having the old style DVR reinstalled.  

Version 2 of the XR2 Remote can be programmed to control both a TV as well as an additional audio device, such as a sound system. To determine what version of the XR2 remote you have, look at the bottom of the back of your remote. It may say Version P2 or R2.

To program version 2 of the XR2 Remote to control the volume of your audio device, first follow the instructions to program the remote to control the TV set. Then, follow the same steps and enter one of the audio device manufacture’s codes found on the Codes list below. Once the remote is programmed to control both the TV and audio device, it will control the power of your TV and the power and volume (including mute) of your audio device.

If you attempt to enter a code for a third device, your remote will no longer be programmed to control the first two programmed devices.   

If you can’t find a code that works for your TV after following the steps above:

1.    Press and hold the Setup button for 3 seconds until the All Power button changes from red to green.

2.    Enter 9-9-1 on the remote.  The All Power button should flash green twice.

3.    Press the CH ^ button multiple times until the TV turns off.

4.    After the TV turns off, press Setup

Below are the codes for audio devices:

Setup Codes for Audio Devices

Manufacturer

Code

ADC

Aiwa

30158, 30189, 30405

Bose

31229, 31933

Capetronic

Carver

Denon

31360, 31104

Harman/Kardon

30110, 30189

Integra

JBL

JVC

Kenwood

31313, 31570, 30027, 31027

Linn

Magnavox

30189, 30531

Marantz

Onkyo

30135, 30842

Optimus

31023, 30531

Panasonic

31308, 31518

Philips

30189, 31266

Pioneer

31023, 30014, 30531, 31384

Polk Audio

Proscan

RCA

31023, 31254, 30531

Sansui

Sanyo

31261, 31469, 31801

Sony

31759, 30158, 31758

Stereophonics

Sunfire

Technics

31308, 31518

Victor

Wards

30158, 30189, 30014

Yamaha

30176, 31176

Regular Contributor

@aguiar0016 wrote:

@acheck981 wrote:

Two examples.

Aguiar0016 - I've shared your feedback with the product management team. The Search product manager will consider this for a future enhancement/fix. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@rog286713 wrote:

Question for those with this box.   When you are viewing an on demand show and it ends and you want to go to the next episode currently on comcast boxes you have to go back out to the main menu and come back in through multiple screens to show the next episode.  Does the x1 do the same or is it more intuitive??

Hi rog286713 - When a On Demand program ends, you are returned to the episode info page. From there, if you go into Episode Guide (last button on the right), the list of available episodes will appear. 

If you are still watching a On Demand program, you can hit the right arrow to bring up the episode info page. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

New x1 box will not record a series nd worse cust serv experience in my life

Got the new X1 box today. Spend an hour searching for shows and setting up series recordings. None of the series recordings had red dots next to them. Ad they were not listed in my future recordings. So I tested the method by setting a future show recording to start on the half hour and another channel to start a series recording at the same time. The singe recording started but the series did not. Called Comcast and got someone who told me this was a "known" issue. I asked to have the technician that came out 2 hours earlier to come back with my old box. They said they would call me back and did not, I called again and talked to another CS rep who said she was putting me in hold for a minute and 40 min later I was still on hold. Then I hung up and called again a d asked to get my old box back, they said they could to get ahold of the tech that had come to my house. I then received a call and spoke to a gentleman who said that it is impossible to get ahold of the tech and that I could not get my original box back under any circumstance. So I told him I wanted a tech out tomorrow opening and said that was impossible, there wouldn't be one out till tues or wed. I then received a call and said that she would call me back and I just found out she went home without calling me back. This is the single most frustrating customer service experience in my life. Spending 4 hours on the phone to fix a problem that should have never occurred and then to be told they can't make it back out for another 5 days is unacceptable behavior.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: New x1 box will not record a series nd worse cust serv experience in my life

There is an x1 forum here.  Two threads above yours.  There you will see 15 pages of compalints just like yours.   Monday take that box back and get one of the same type you had.  The x1 in my opinion should not be released to the public. 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/X1-Forum/td-p/1557105

New Poster

Re: New x1 box will not record a series nd worse cust serv experience in my life

Thanks org. I see that thread now. Wishing I never went down this road. Finally got to a manager that set up a service call tomorrow at 8 am. Might even get the old box back with all my recordings. Will definitely be waiting and watching how this turns out.
Regular Contributor

When I fast forward 4X Speed it gets stuck and keeps fast forwarding through the whole show!

This happens at random times and is a pain in the you know what Smiley Sad

Comcast please fix this issue ASAP!

Thanks