Community Forum

X1 Forum

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum


It's at least a little more than that given that the video output is also disabled when the box is put into "turned off" (more like "standby"/"sleep") state.  In addition, if you were watching a DVD recording or VOD, or perhaps were using some app, if you "turn off" the box, when you turn it back on you will be back on live (linear) TV.  So, while at least some other typial things--like spinning down of the hard drive(s), spinning down of the fan(s), disabling audio, etc.--aren't really happening, a few more things than simply turning off the power LED are taking place.

 

It's possible that there should be more to this turned off state, but there might either be some bugs with it currently and/or some parts haven't been fully developed just yet (as it is still a fairly new box and serivce), so those parts have not been enabled for now and might be in the future.

 

That said, one of the upsides of how the box currently works is that you actually have a continuous buffer going, so when you turn on the box and TV next time and find that you are on a channel where you wanted to see something that happened a few minutes ago (or even up to an hour ago), you should be able to do that using the existing buffer.  Too bad you can't change between tuners and have multiple buggers (at least not so far).


My message was a little bit tounge in cheek.  Maybe I should have said for all practical purposes, the power button controls the LED light.  The overall point is this level of standby state is a joke.

 

I agree it could be just an early adopter problem but I am trying to ensure this issue is taken seriously by Comcast.  No real indication that it is yet.

 

I dont see how you legitimately think this box staying on and buffering all the time is a "feature." You would just have be lucky that there was something you wanted to see, happened to be late getting to it and then it be on the right channel out of the few hundred options.  If it could buffer 6 tuners and you could control which ones those are, then maybe you are on to something.  But even in that case, I would want to have the option to turn it off.

Regular Contributor

one step forward, two steps back

The good news is that I can now watch programs I'm recording part way after the recording process has started. The X1 used to force me to wait until the recording was totally complete.

 

Unfortunately, its now randomly deleting recordings, with no record of the deletions. Recently I set it to record the new series Vikings. It dutifully did so. It has now recorded the third episode, but the first two (that I have not yet watched) have vanished. No record of deletion in the delete cue, and no issues with running out of space forcing a delete. The series is set up to keep three, so this is just random nonesense.

 

In addition, the unit still shows way more disk space used than has been. Right now, its showing 71% used. When I go into the DVR app online, it shows 40% used. 

 

It looks like a DVR. I just wish it acted like one. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

I'm having a minor issue with my X1 DVR. A few months ago it "lost" a few recorded programs. They were there, and they just disappeared. A few days later they came back. They weren't in the deleted file, they had just vanished. But they eventually did re-appear, and all was well.
 
Recently, about four programs have disappeared. A couple of them were recorded in January, and two more were recorded last week. I have waited to see if they might re-emerge, but they haven't. This morning, I did the unplug and reboot routine, but they're still gone.
 
On top of that, I've noticed that even when I've had several hours of unwatched programs stored, the capacity shows at maybe 20 percent, rarely getting much above that. Recently, it's been showing 50-60 percent. So last night I watched and cleared several programs, leaving only 5 hours of shows in the DVR. Now the capacity shows 63 percent.
 
So, obviously, something isn't right with the DVR. It's losing shows, and apparently the capacity is not right.
 
I have often wondered about the "deleted" shows section. There are several hours of shows in there. How long (and why) do they stay? Are they still taking up needed space, even though I've deleted them?
 
Otherwise, it's working fairly well. The recording process can sometimes be slow and balky. Last night it said the DVR function was unavailable, yet when I checked this morning, the shows I had tried to set to record had indeed been set.
Regular Contributor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series


@MedX172 wrote:

Okay, so we just got our new X1 box today and have been going through the process of setting up all our programs on the box to record.  Oddly though, we're having the following problem which we've reported to Comcast:

 

You can set up a seies to record new episodes. Clearly, you can see that there's a new episode airing in the next day or so, but when you browse the "Scheduled" tab in the DVR it states "No recordings scheduled in the next 14 days".  If you go into the guide and find the specific single episode that airs in the next day or so, and make a selection to record the single episode, then it will appear under the "Scheduled" tab.

 

I'm wondering if all of the series recordings that I've set up, now will not record.  Comcast Tier 1 logged the information and passed it to Tier 2. Has anyone else had problems setting up series recordings or getting them to record?


MedX172 - Checking in on this - are you now seeing your recordings showing up in the appropriate locations? Sometimes there is a latency / time lag with the DVR scheduler (we are trying to resolve ASAP).

 


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Couple of X1 issues for a new user...


@dwj-1 wrote:

I'm just learning the basics for our new X1 box and a couple of things have come up that I haven't been able to puzzle out: BTW, we seem to have the early March update.

 

No "Apps" item on XFINITY page - we have triple-play and I believe I have everything set up correctly (security pin, internet DVR Manager, etc.), but cannot get to any apps. Is there some magic I'm missing to enable/add the "Apps" item on the XFINITY page?

 

Prefer SD recordings but most seem to be defaulting to HD channels - we just want SD recording for now and seem to be getting mostly HD (at least from the rate of disappearing disk space). How does one tell if a particular recording is SD or HD? IS there a way force SD recordings always? The "Series record" dialogs don't seem to offer SD/HD choices; do I have to be careful and set up the recording schedules using the SD channel? BTW, I found and turned "off" the autotune to HD option.

 

I'm assuming esata expansion capabilities are not supported yet with this DVR, are they expected/promised in the future? Timelines of any sort?

 

Thanks for any insight, but I want to add that as a long time Tivo customer (Series 2 still kicking) the X1 box with On Demand is showing a lot of promise.


Hi dwj-1 - Are you having this issue on your DVR box or non-DVR box. Apps are currently not supported on the non-DVR box. If the issue is on your DVR box, do you see an 'Apps' section in the XFINITY menu bar (to the right of On Demand)?

 

re: SD recordings default - There is no "record in SD" preference at this time, however if you turn off "Auto-tune to HD" preference, the channel will record in SD. This option can be found in Settings -> Preferences. 

 

re: esata expansion capabilities - this feature is under consideration, however I do not have any other information regarding timing, etc. 


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Couple of X1 issues for a new user...


@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@dwj-1 wrote:

I'm just learning the basics for our new X1 box and a couple of things have come up that I haven't been able to puzzle out: BTW, we seem to have the early March update.

 

No "Apps" item on XFINITY page - we have triple-play and I believe I have everything set up correctly (security pin, internet DVR Manager, etc.), but cannot get to any apps. Is there some magic I'm missing to enable/add the "Apps" item on the XFINITY page?

 

Prefer SD recordings but most seem to be defaulting to HD channels - we just want SD recording for now and seem to be getting mostly HD (at least from the rate of disappearing disk space). How does one tell if a particular recording is SD or HD? IS there a way force SD recordings always? The "Series record" dialogs don't seem to offer SD/HD choices; do I have to be careful and set up the recording schedules using the SD channel? BTW, I found and turned "off" the autotune to HD option.

 

I'm assuming esata expansion capabilities are not supported yet with this DVR, are they expected/promised in the future? Timelines of any sort?

 

Thanks for any insight, but I want to add that as a long time Tivo customer (Series 2 still kicking) the X1 box with On Demand is showing a lot of promise.


Hi dwj-1 - Are you having this issue on your DVR box or non-DVR box. Apps are currently not supported on the non-DVR box. If the issue is on your DVR box, do you see an 'Apps' section in the XFINITY menu bar (to the right of On Demand)?

 

re: SD recordings default - There is no "record in SD" preference at this time, however if you turn off "Auto-tune to HD" preference, the channel will record in SD. This option can be found in Settings -> Preferences. 

 

re: esata expansion capabilities - this feature is under consideration, however I do not have any other information regarding timing, etc. 


Hello Kara, thank you for responding. The missing Apps item is due to resolution on the X1 currently being set to 480i (e.g. SD). Apparently the apps capability is only supported in HD, and indeed if I switch to 1080i the menu item shows up (but of course the video has a distorted aspect ratio).

 

Got it on the SD recording settings. There is also a difference in the recording options when using the X1 and remote directly vs. using the online DVR manager. Not a big deal - will be shopping for an HD set in the near future.

 

And thanks for the info on esata, I'm assuming the same or similar info appies to the USB ports (are they 2.0 or 3.0?).

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series


@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@MedX172 wrote:

Okay, so we just got our new X1 box today and have been going through the process of setting up all our programs on the box to record.  Oddly though, we're having the following problem which we've reported to Comcast:

 

You can set up a seies to record new episodes. Clearly, you can see that there's a new episode airing in the next day or so, but when you browse the "Scheduled" tab in the DVR it states "No recordings scheduled in the next 14 days".  If you go into the guide and find the specific single episode that airs in the next day or so, and make a selection to record the single episode, then it will appear under the "Scheduled" tab.

 

I'm wondering if all of the series recordings that I've set up, now will not record.  Comcast Tier 1 logged the information and passed it to Tier 2. Has anyone else had problems setting up series recordings or getting them to record?


MedX172 - Checking in on this - are you now seeing your recordings showing up in the appropriate locations? Sometimes there is a latency / time lag with the DVR scheduler (we are trying to resolve ASAP).

 


Hi Kara,

 

No we are still unable to actually get a Series Recording to occur on the X1.  You can go into the Guide, select a program and set up the series recording and the X1 will display a pop up box that a series recording for a specific show has been created, however, it does not appear under the "Scheduled" tab in the DVR, nore does it actually record.  The only way we've been able to successfully able to schedule anything to record is by selecting individual episodes for recording.  The individual episodes will appear under the "Scheduled" tab of the DVR oddly enough. We've tried the Restart option on the X1 a number of times over the last several days to see if it resolves the issue, but it doesn't seem to help.

Tags (1)
Contributor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

My box was showing 98% full.   After I deleted the erased programs it showed 66% full.   The box should reflect the recordins that are currently saved, not the erased ones.   it also takes a along time to erase the shows.  There was a huge delay last night,  When I erased the shows, they didn't actually erase until a few minutes later.  The pop-up confirmations came up a few minutes later as well.   There should be a empty trash type option to delete all of the shows.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

We just got our X1 set up yesterday. I love the new format as to how you view everything, but I too have an issue with the dvr recording function. Like others have stated you are able to record a show, one at a time, but it will not set up recording of a series. You will see the multiple red dots and it will say that it is set up but when you look at the guide or upcoming shows to be recorded they are not there. Is this something that will be fixed soon with a patch?/

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

Also, Is there an easier way to skip days on the guide then going hour by hour. Ie, if I want to set up a recording for Sunday and its currently Wed do I have to skip hour by hour until I reach Sunday or is there a easy way to jump to the date?

 

Thanks

Problem Solver

Re: X1 Forum


@cssandrac wrote:

Also, Is there an easier way to skip days on the guide then going hour by hour. Ie, if I want to set up a recording for Sunday and its currently Wed do I have to skip hour by hour until I reach Sunday or is there a easy way to jump to the date?

 

Thanks


Currently that's the only way to skip ahead in the guide.  Alternatively, you can go to search (the magnify glass icon in the XFINITY main menu) and search for the show you want to record and set a recording from there.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: X1 Forum

So, just earlier today I noticed that a number of recordings that went missing about a week ago suddenly appeared again in the recorded section of the DVR.  Not sure what caused them to reappear suddenly (or what caused them to disappear to begin with), but they just came back.

 

I was able to delete most of them, as I already watched them through other means (another DVR or VOD), and that actually cleared up a good part of the used space on my DVR--it seems that these recordings that disappeared were still being accounted for in the used space before, even though I couldn't see them or remove them, but now that they showed up again I was able to delete them and free up the used space that they were occupying (even when they weren't showing up anywhere at all).  This could potentially explain at least some of the used space issues that people have been noticing (lately).

New Poster

Re: X1 Forum

I noticed that programs I try to record between 12 and 2 am east coast time are not recording.
Regular Contributor

On-Screen Caller ID Stopped Working As of Last Night

Did anyone else notice their On-Screen Caller ID no longer working as of last night?

Frankly - I love this feature, and noticed last evening - and now all day today it isn't coming up.

 

Rebooted the box but no change.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum


@C_DM wrote:

@cssandrac wrote:

Also, Is there an easier way to skip days on the guide then going hour by hour. Ie, if I want to set up a recording for Sunday and its currently Wed do I have to skip hour by hour until I reach Sunday or is there a easy way to jump to the date?

 

Thanks


Currently that's the only way to skip ahead in the guide.  Alternatively, you can go to search (the magnify glass icon in the XFINITY main menu) and search for the show you want to record and set a recording from there.


Search may be the best option for this, but you can do a bit better while browsing the guide. When you're viewing the right-side mini guide (after pressing Guide just once), move up or down to the channel you want, and then press the right arrow button. You'll get a single-channel listing that you can jump through several hours at a time by pressing Page Down. 

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum


@C_DM wrote:

So, just earlier today I noticed that a number of recordings that went missing about a week ago suddenly appeared again in the recorded section of the DVR.  Not sure what caused them to reappear suddenly (or what caused them to disappear to begin with), but they just came back.

 

I was able to delete most of them, as I already watched them through other means (another DVR or VOD), and that actually cleared up a good part of the used space on my DVR--it seems that these recordings that disappeared were still being accounted for in the used space before, even though I couldn't see them or remove them, but now that they showed up again I was able to delete them and free up the used space that they were occupying (even when they weren't showing up anywhere at all).  This could potentially explain at least some of the used space issues that people have been noticing (lately).


My wife noticed the same thing today - shows she recorded over a week ago suddenly showed up.

Regular Contributor

Re: On-Screen Caller ID Stopped Working As of Last Night


@PSUMattDE wrote:

Did anyone else notice their On-Screen Caller ID no longer working as of last night?

Frankly - I love this feature, and noticed last evening - and now all day today it isn't coming up.

 

Rebooted the box but no change.


I think the recording RED light is no longer working correctly either.

Regular Contributor

Re: Recording Light


@screenname137 wrote:

I think the recording RED light is no longer working correctly either.


I was noticing something too.   Not 100% certain but it seems like once a recording starts, the light comes on but after the recording is over, the light remains on. 

Regular Contributor

Another bug?

For the first time on Tuesday night, I had the system hard lock on me.  Screen froze with an image, no audio, no remote response.  I turned off the TV only and back on to no longer see the frozen image.

 

Only remedy was to unplug and plug it back in.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum

I just had some recordings reappear after being gone for two days as well. What's interesting is that my space used is shwoing as 89% on the DVR, but when I look at it from the web utility, its showing 14% which seems far more likely. I read somwhere that the DVR is counting deleted, but not erased, space against its total. 

 

This is a very weird experience. I feel like I'm trapped in an old episode of the prisoner Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

Re: X1 Forum


@bradbortner wrote:

I just had some recordings reappear after being gone for two days as well. What's interesting is that my space used is shwoing as 89% on the DVR, but when I look at it from the web utility, its showing 14% which seems far more likely. I read somwhere that the DVR is counting deleted, but not erased, space against its total. 

 

This is a very weird experience. I feel like I'm trapped in an old episode of the prisoner Smiley Happy


Although I've certainly seen people reporting that deleted but not erased being counted towards the used space %, I haven't encountered it on my system, at least not recently--deleting a recording usually lowers the used space % by some amount, while going to the deleted section and completely erasing a recording (or even a few) from there doesn't really seem to have any effect on the used space %.

Contributor

Re: Another bug?

Exact same thing happen to me. Middle of the night. Had to unplug to restart.
Contributor

Re: Recording Light


@HD-Tech wrote:

@screenname137 wrote:

I think the recording RED light is no longer working correctly either.


I was noticing something too.   Not 100% certain but it seems like once a recording starts, the light comes on but after the recording is over, the light remains on. 


This morning my red light was on also, stayed on until I actually turned the box on then off, then it went off.

Contributor

Re: X1 Forum


@ebow wrote:

@C_DM wrote:

@cssandrac wrote:

Also, Is there an easier way to skip days on the guide then going hour by hour. Ie, if I want to set up a recording for Sunday and its currently Wed do I have to skip hour by hour until I reach Sunday or is there a easy way to jump to the date?

 

Thanks


Currently that's the only way to skip ahead in the guide.  Alternatively, you can go to search (the magnify glass icon in the XFINITY main menu) and search for the show you want to record and set a recording from there.


Search may be the best option for this, but you can do a bit better while browsing the guide. When you're viewing the right-side mini guide (after pressing Guide just once), move up or down to the channel you want, and then press the right arrow button. You'll get a single-channel listing that you can jump through several hours at a time by pressing Page Down. 


TThis is the best way to do it. Really need a day skip ahead/ back button
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Forum


@cssandrac wrote:

We just got our X1 set up yesterday. I love the new format as to how you view everything, but I too have an issue with the dvr recording function. Like others have stated you are able to record a show, one at a time, but it will not set up recording of a series. You will see the multiple red dots and it will say that it is set up but when you look at the guide or upcoming shows to be recorded they are not there. Is this something that will be fixed soon with a patch?/


I'm experiencing the exact same problem, cssandrac. I opened a support ticket with Comcast about it on 3/16 and followed up with them on 3/19 about it. Got a voice mail message from them yesterday asking if it was still a problem, so I verified that it still existed, and left a message with him. Today, received a return call from the same person who informed me that this is a known issue. He told me he would forward the information on to an engineer. 

 

They never really gave me a timeline for when I could expect the problem to be resolved, though. It's odd, that if we're all running the same firmware and version of software, that some people are experiencing the issue, while others aren't. To me, this implies that the problem might not be specifically firmware/software related, and may be a combination of software/network problems.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Another bug?

I experienced the same issue. I happened to be talking to Comcast about the "Series won't record" issue and they informed me that they were doing a major server upgrade on Tuesday evening. Since the X1 reaches out to the server for many functions, if they've got part of the network down doing upgrades, it could create the type of issue we were experiencing that night.

Regular Contributor

Caller ID

Just to update - Caller ID starting magically working again last night....may just have been a back-system issue.

 

Also had the "logo-sound/no picture" issue for the 1st time....guess that's still an outstanding item.

Regular Contributor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

MedX172 - I just sent you a PM to gather some account level details. 

 

 


Hi Kara,

 

No we are still unable to actually get a Series Recording to occur on the X1.  You can go into the Guide, select a program and set up the series recording and the X1 will display a pop up box that a series recording for a specific show has been created, however, it does not appear under the "Scheduled" tab in the DVR, nore does it actually record.  The only way we've been able to successfully able to schedule anything to record is by selecting individual episodes for recording.  The individual episodes will appear under the "Scheduled" tab of the DVR oddly enough. We've tried the Restart option on the X1 a number of times over the last several days to see if it resolves the issue, but it doesn't seem to help.





I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series


@MeatAssassin wrote:

My box was showing 98% full.   After I deleted the erased programs it showed 66% full.   The box should reflect the recordins that are currently saved, not the erased ones.   it also takes a along time to erase the shows.  There was a huge delay last night,  When I erased the shows, they didn't actually erase until a few minutes later.  The pop-up confirmations came up a few minutes later as well.   There should be a empty trash type option to delete all of the shows.


"delete all" is under consideration for a future enhancement. I do not have details on when/if it will be released at this time. 


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Forum


@cssandrac wrote:

We just got our X1 set up yesterday. I love the new format as to how you view everything, but I too have an issue with the dvr recording function. Like others have stated you are able to record a show, one at a time, but it will not set up recording of a series. You will see the multiple red dots and it will say that it is set up but when you look at the guide or upcoming shows to be recorded they are not there. Is this something that will be fixed soon with a patch?/


Hi ccsandrac - I sent you a PM to gather some information. 


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Recording Light


@HD-Tech wrote:

@screenname137 wrote:

I think the recording RED light is no longer working correctly either.


I was noticing something too.   Not 100% certain but it seems like once a recording starts, the light comes on but after the recording is over, the light remains on. 


Thanks for posting this issue. I just escalated this to the X1 team 


I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: X1 Forum

Recorded programs are back.

New Poster

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

Just installed yesterday and already hit the issue with trying to record a series on the DVR. Called the 800 # who just said to reboot the box. That took 25 minutes to do and still nothing. They say they are escalating you to level 2 support, which is obvious BS. It seems pretty clear that this is a known problem, so why isn't that info available to the folks on the 800 #? Rather than them just sounding like useless drones, they could at least let you know that they know about that problem and it's being worked on. I was supposed to hear back from this level 2 support "a couple hours" after my call today. That was 12 hours ago. I'm not holding my breath. Not very impressed so far. It may all go back within the 30 day window if it doesn't get better with this box.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

that box has many issues as you can see by reading the 12 pages of this thread.   In my opinion its best to stick with the old dvrs that actually work until this box is released to the whole country and stops being tested by comcast customers for them.   While the interface is nice what good is it if the box does not work.

Regular Visitor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

Add me to the list!   We just got our X1 2 days ago. Recording does not work in any capacity!  Not series recordings. Not live recordings and not one off recordings.   The technician who deployed it rushed out without demoing the record functions of the DVR.  As if he knew it wasn't going to work. Why did I pay for that install? I've called support multiple times.  Been "escalated" to tier 2.  And no-one seems to know what to do.  I have an open ticket, but no commitment from Comast to fix it.  All I get is, "We sent a code to the box.", and then nothing!  I have to keep chasing them down, spending time on hold, and re-explaining my issue to them. They are very polite, but they are clueless!  I have never been one to complain. But this is so frustrating!  We have now missed shows with no way of watching them again without forking over more money.  

Comcast, you need to make this right! 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series


@rog286713 wrote:

that box has many issues as you can see by reading the 12 pages of this thread.   In my opinion its best to stick with the old dvrs that actually work until this box is released to the whole country and stops being tested by comcast customers for them.   While the interface is nice what good is it if the box does not work.


That about sums it up.  After reading through these 12 pages this thing is so NOT ready for prime time it is not even funny. 

 

After 2 years of putting up with all the glitches the S25 upgrade brought me (mostly fixed with S26 BTW) there is no way I would ever start over with one of these things.  Add to the fact that one has to pay extra to have this installed really leaves me scratching me noggin. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

Update:
I just got off the phone with support - again.  I think I have spoken with 7 people now.  The tier 2 person I was escalated to yesterday, gave me a number that bounced me back to tier 1.   Oh and they cant open my ticket, so I have to start over and re-escalate my ticket back to tier 2.  Brilliant!  They say, "This can take up to 48 hours for a tier 2 tech to call you back."  So once again, I explained my issue from scratch. Power cycled the box etc...


Fast forward to the important bit, I eventually spoke with someone who claimed to be a supervisor.  She made the following statements about this issue.
"This is a known issue."
"Swapping the box wont fix it."
"It's been a problem for about a month." 
"Our engineer's dont know what's wrong."

And when I asked if there was an ETA she said, "No."

So, no resolution.  Just a "We'll call yout back."

 

But, I did figure one thing out.  If I hold the record button for about 15-20 seconds, if I'm lucky, I can sometimes get the selected program to record.  I still woulnd't call this functional.  And it does not work for series recordings.  By doing this I also learned that only one of my tuners appears to be active.  It seems that I can only record one show at a time. So there's yet another issue or maybe it's related.  Who knows.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series


@CRJS wrote:

Update:
I just got off the phone with support - again.  I think I have spoken with 7 people now.  The tier 2 person I was escalated to yesterday, gave me a number that bounced me back to tier 1.   Oh and they cant open my ticket, so I have to start over and re-escalate my ticket back to tier 2.  Brilliant!  They say, "This can take up to 48 hours for a tier 2 tech to call you back."  So once again, I explained my issue from scratch. Power cycled the box etc...


Fast forward to the important bit, I eventually spoke with someone who claimed to be a supervisor.  She made the following statements about this issue.
"This is a known issue."
"Swapping the box wont fix it."
"It's been a problem for about a month." 
"Our engineer's dont know what's wrong."

And when I asked if there was an ETA she said, "No."

So, no resolution.  Just a "We'll call yout back."

 

But, I did figure one thing out.  If I hold the record button for about 15-20 seconds, if I'm lucky, I can sometimes get the selected program to record.  I still woulnd't call this functional.  And it does not work for series recordings.  By doing this I also learned that only one of my tuners appears to be active.  It seems that I can only record one show at a time. So there's yet another issue or maybe it's related.  Who knows.


CRJS,

 

I had the same problem with the X1 not being able to record any series. The problem went to Tier 2, and then an "engineer".  I don't know if this is Tier 3 or just someone within the Tier 2 support that has better access to the box.  As of 3/23/13, I now have complete functionality for series recordings. I really don't know what they did, as I didn't get a follow up call. The Tier 2 person that I spoke to did tell me this is a known issue, though.  Hang in there, hopefully, they'll get your X1 issue resolved as well.

Contributor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

FYI.  Area code 08012, at 7:30am today the box decided to re-boot on its own.  Took 10 minutes to come back.

 

Thoma

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR resolution/audio settings?

I had the same problem but it's gotten worse since. The option to set Output Resolution under Video Display settings has inexplicably disappeared. Permanently locked into 720P now with no way to change back to 1080P.

 

Under Audio settings the Audio mode option is still there to set Surround.. but it outputs stereo to the receiver regardless of what mode is chosen. :/

New Poster

Re: one step forward, two steps back

I am having the EXACT same problem. Our recordings are disappearing then showing back up. Our DVR says it is at almost capacity but we only have about 4 hours worse of recordings on there.

 

Other issues we have had:

We will only have audio and no video, this seems to happen a couple of times a week

 

The box locks up and won't respond to commands, lock up can be a couple of seconds to a minute. This happens daily

 

Recoding light has never worked until today randomly

 

We need to reset the box at least once a day, sometimes this fixes things.

 

Constantly shortens recordings so we miss the last minute.

 

It will record shows we didn't ask it to

 

 

Why is this thing so poorly programmed/designed? We should be getting paid (service discount) for beta testing something that clearly isn't ready for use. I had a DVR with Dish in 2007 that worked perfectly and have yet to get something from Comcast that even came close to this. Very disappointing.

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR resolution/audio settings?

I have had the same problem with the X1 deciding to output Stereo two-channel audio to the receiver despite being set to Surround. The only way to fix it is to go into the Audio settings, change the setting to Stereo, then change it back to Surround. It will only then output Dolby D to the receiver again. 

New Poster

Re: X1 DVR resolution/audio settings?

The x1 seems to get worse with each software rev
Now in addition to this issue recording and erasing shows
Is very buggy and unreliable. The x1 is a huge disappointment
Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

The most frustrating issue I have had with the X1 DVR is the Audio issue I have seen mentioned a few times. The box will all of a sudden decide to output 2-channel Stereo audio despite still being set to Surround in Audio settings. The only way to fix it is to go back into Audio settings, change the setting to Stereo, and then change the setting back to Surround again. Only then will the box go back to outputting Dolby D audio.  This happens multiple times per week. I hope this problem can be fixed soon.

 

Regular Contributor

Re: one step forward, two steps back

I've had an x1 box for a few months now and it's gotten way worse lately.  I'd say from the number of people that are saying they've just setup a box, that is the problem.

 

I don't know if people realize this or not, but X1 is a cloud thing.  From what I've been told and figured out, everything except the actual recordings and front end is in the cloud.  That is one of the reasons why, say you hit record, and it can take a minute to start recording.  The message is going to the servers and then coming back.

 

Same for missing programs.  I once lost everything on my hard disk.  I was told by support that they had moved the servers that contained the inode information (basically the link to where on your disk the program is stored) and that it had lost my info.  A week later there was an attempt to restore the information but by then the programs had been overwritten by new programs so they couldn't restore.

 

I have found over the last month that it's often impossible to do anything in primetime.  I'm on the east coast and the box just doesn't work properly from 8 to midnight or so.  I assume it's due to overload.  Overload now there are more people using x1 on the x1 servers.  Overload because of all that traffic going across the internet and overload just because people are home using the internet.

 

You really need to restart your box almost every day.  I often find this temporarily fixes the available space information being wrong.  It also seems to often fix the programs that you've recorded not showing up issue. They are there, just your box doesn't know it.  It doesn't fix the fact that when you try to change your recording schedule during primetime, the info never gets to the server, or it recognizes the info too late.

 

I've also had the issue the last month of loosing video (not usually audio) and nothing seemed to fix it.  I've since discovered a method that seems to work for some unknown reason.  Going to 805 (abc hd) for example does nothing.  However, set your box to always go to the hd version if available, then tune to 005 (abd sd) and it will then autotune to 805 and the video will show up.  I can only assume that somehow the info is making it to the servers faster this way but when you tune to 805 (like hundreds of others on x1 boxes) the signal isn't making it through.

 

This is a dumb way to do TV.

 

Of course this is all part of their plan to have complete control.  Supposedly you can use your analog recording device (vcr and the like) off the RCA plugs.  The just fixed it so you can't record anything off on-demand, so if you didn't get a show recorded (because of the stupid box) and you try to record it off on-demand, it won't let you. 

 

We also just got letters they are going to encrypt basic cable, so now you need to rent their equipment to use the service you are paying hundreds of dollars for.  What a scam!!!  They are just trying to lock everyone into a corner.  The idea that between cable and internet I'm paying close to 200 dollars a month but that doesn't give me the right to use what I'm paying for, I now have to pay for special equipment on every tv in the house to actually use the service I've paid for is ridiculous.  I won't be surprised if pretty soon we are going to also have to pay individually for each show we watch.

 

I probably watch too much tv, this will help cut back.

 

There really is no advantage over satellite anymore.

 

 

Regular Contributor

Re: one step forward, two steps back

A couple of other things:

 

831 doesn't show up in the favorites list no matter what.  It's TBS here.  I've tried removing and leaving it off for a day and then re-adding it, so forth.  It just won't show up.

 

Search is terrible.  If you search on something that is in on-demand it won't tell you it's also on a TV network.  Many times I've tried to search for something I know is going to be on and it just tries to direct me to the on-demand version, often something you have to pay for but not always.  I have to guess and go find it myself or use some other online schedule service.

 

Search and/or the episode guide will tell you about episodes that have not yet made it to on-demand, but not about ones already there.   Movies are useless in search.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

I just had the service installed yesterday and I too am having this problem. Single episodes will record if I manually select them, but the series recordings don't work at all. I was dumb enough to leave another provider to get this service. Not a great experience so far.

Regular Visitor

X1 DVR Problems

Ever since getting the new X1 boxes in our house, we have had problems but lately they are worse than before.

 

Now, it seems that whenever a show is recording, the box has multiple problems.  Sometimes you can't fast forward, sometimes you can't his stop.  The aboslute worst happened last night, the cable box could not be used while the box was recording.  I tried to watch TV and the only thing on the screen was the logo for the channel.  I tried watching a recorded show and the only thing that comes up on the screen is "DVR."  Couldn't even get into the on demand menu.  Restart the box, and the same thing.  It wasn't until after everything was done recording, and I restarted the box again that I could use it.  And even then, it failed to record one of the shows it was scheduled to record.

 

I really like some of the features of the X1 platform, but have had nothing but trouble from these boxes.

Regular Contributor

Search Function

I have a new complaint/issue.

 

Prior to a recent update, when searching, I had the ability to either select to watch something on demand or find times the program was playing in the future.

 

Now when you search for something, if it's an demand film or show, it does not give you the option to see when it is playing it forces you to select on demand.

 

Two examples.

Phil Specter - It's on demand...but also replaying on HBO on occassion.  Run a search...only get on demand option.

Total Recall - Currently an on demand film, however is on HBO or Starz...can't remember which, later this week.  When using the search, only the on demand option comes up.

 

Why do I no longer have the option to maybe record a future showing of a movie or show?

 

Why is this box and interface so buggy?

 

Why is this thread over 12 pages long and nothing being done to make up for any of this.

 

Just a bunch of "We're sorry" and "we're working on it" doesn't exactly cut it.

Contributor

New build update

Looks like the X1 now has a build with the date of 3-11. just pushed today sometime.