Community Forum

X1 Forum

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: X1 Forum

@glosaul wrote:

what is the best setting for a new tv. 720, 1080i, 1080p 60. I am able to use all three settings.

If your TV is 1080P capable you should select the 1080P resolution on your X-1 box.  Even though the networks do no broadcast in 1080P the X-1 box will upscale the resolution to 1080P giving you an improved  picture. 

Regular Visitor

Re: 2 new issues

We have lost 3 recordings over the last two days. The dvr is only about 40% full so it is not a space issue. These were my wife's shows so this box is not long for this house if continues to do that.
New Poster

X1 DVR box not working AGAIN!

i called the number they told me to calll (877-896-8678) and it said their was problem and the technicins were working on it. It may take several days. So i am w/o a TV for serveral days!!! It also said if you hold yuo may speak with a representative BUT all you get is a BUSY signal COMCAST service and Equipment is TERRIBLE!

is any body else having this problem with their DVR X1 BOX???

Frequent Visitor

Chronic issues with X1 service

I am unable to post into the X1 forum for some reason so I must post here in hopes of getting some help. We were convinced to get the X1 platform and took the chance. Since then it has been a continual litany of problems. Since January 9th we have had no fewer than 14 tickets opened 10 or more of those due to the same problem with the non-DVR box we have. We have had 5 different technicians in the house, changed boxes at least 4 times and spoke to the "network engineers" a couple times and continue to have the same problem that we have to reboot the box (sometimes several times) to get the box to either start or, if it starts get the guide and remote functions to work. We have moved the box to different outlets in the house and have the same problem which rules out the line. The customer service people that we talk to have been nice and friendly but I think we are past the point of their help when I know the steps they are going to take each time I call with the problem. As for the technicians, most have been ok however one was rude to my wife before I got home and then charged us $50.00 for the experience (By the way, nothing was fixed and he seemed more interested in getting his friend some business to rewire the house)

In the last ticket I opened on 3/12, I was promised that the ticket would be elevated to the "network engineers" and would be contacted within 24 to 48 hours. It is now 3/16 and there have been no calls from them...yet the box continues to have the same problem.

We are paying a lot of money for this system and I would hope that Comcast could understand that we would just like to have stable service. If we are beta testing the system for them, we should be paying much less if not being paid for the service WE are providing Comcast by troubleshooting their product.

At this point I want to get out of the contract and try AT&T's product however knowing the way Comcast works, we will probably have to pay a termination fee EVEN THOUGH the product has never performed adequately since it was installed.
Has anyone had similar issues that might have finally been resolved and, if so I am interested in hearing how you did it. I have been patient with Comcast and their customer service procedures to this point but I think most would understand that I have lost most of that patience and deserve to have this problem solved with the appropriate consideration for the under performance of the product.

The two X1 DVR boxes we have are having minor problems which I have read about already on the forum but are at least watchable most times.

Thank you
Frequent Visitor

Hi Kara. I lost multiple recordings the other day as the box thought it was full. I see Multiple posts for this issue. Is there a resolution for this known issue? I spent some time manually deleting some recordings today. I have 90 minutes of shows recorded and the box says 52% full! The iPad app shows the box as 33% full. So those two numbers don't match and never have. I had the series marked as keep until I delete. So evidently that feature doesn't work as it should not have deleted those recordings without my permission. So I think there are two issues here. One is that the box thinks it's full and it's not. The other is the keep until I delete feature doesn't work. Thank you for any insights
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I've seen the ghosting issue as well
Contributor

@gmtivo wrote:
Hi Kara. I lost multiple recordings the other day as the box thought it was full. I see Multiple posts for this issue. Is there a resolution for this known issue? I spent some time manually deleting some recordings today. I have 90 minutes of shows recorded and the box says 52% full! The iPad app shows the box as 33% full. So those two numbers don't match and never have. I had the series marked as keep until I delete. So evidently that feature doesn't work as it should not have deleted those recordings without my permission. So I think there are two issues here. One is that the box thinks it's full and it's not. The other is the keep until I delete feature doesn't work. Thank you for any insights

Yea the percent numbers are wrong either on the Xfinity TV DVR site or the box. And some of my recordings got deleted too! At least it's not just your box but many peoples box! Hopefully an update fixes the DVR problems.

Regular Contributor

@FredNation wrote:

When I delete something the percent bar goes down but yet I can restore the video. So how is the video being saved while gaining space even when I deleted it?

This sounds like the desired / intended behavior to me. If you delete a show from the DVR Recordings list, the space on the hard drive is marked as available for new recordings. Hence the amount of space free goes up. But as long as the box hasn't actually overwritten that old show, it keeps track of it, and the software can still move it back to the main DVR list. Once you erase it out of the Deleted Shows list, then the box stops keeping track of it. 

It's similar to, but not exactly like Windows: when you delete a file from Windows Explorer, it goes into the Recycle Bin, and you can rescue it from there. In Windows, the files may or may not be automatically purged from the Bin depending on how you set it up, but in the X1, the shows eventually do get purged. In Windows, the free space readout only goes up when you empty the Bin, but in the X1, it goes up when something it moved to the Deleted list. 

Regular Contributor

MAXX, i have never heard of comcast having contracts.  not down here in south florida anyway.  i sincerely hope they are not starting THAT policy too with this beta test!  just get their old dvr platform until the bugs are all worked out, it works fine.  comcast really is (was) a good company until this mess AND YOU CANT BEAT THEIR INTERNET. 

Regular Visitor

I'd like to know why my post was deleted...

Silver Problem Solver

manamok, no comcast cable box turns off when off it just goes into standby that is the way it has always been.  the only way to have it draw no power is to unplug it

Bronze Problem Solver

@rog286713 wrote:

manamok, no comcast cable box turns off when off it just goes into standby that is the way it has always been.  the only way to have it draw no power is to unplug it

rog - Thanks - I'm aware of this - as I said, the only thing that appears to happen when you turn the box off is the "on" light goes off and the video feed stops.

Frequent Visitor

Couple of X1 issues for a new user...

I'm just learning the basics for our new X1 box and a couple of things have come up that I haven't been able to puzzle out: BTW, we seem to have the early March update.

No "Apps" item on XFINITY page - we have triple-play and I believe I have everything set up correctly (security pin, internet DVR Manager, etc.), but cannot get to any apps. Is there some magic I'm missing to enable/add the "Apps" item on the XFINITY page?

Prefer SD recordings but most seem to be defaulting to HD channels - we just want SD recording for now and seem to be getting mostly HD (at least from the rate of disappearing disk space). How does one tell if a particular recording is SD or HD? IS there a way force SD recordings always? The "Series record" dialogs don't seem to offer SD/HD choices; do I have to be careful and set up the recording schedules using the SD channel? BTW, I found and turned "off" the autotune to HD option.

I'm assuming esata expansion capabilities are not supported yet with this DVR, are they expected/promised in the future? Timelines of any sort?

Thanks for any insight, but I want to add that as a long time Tivo customer (Series 2 still kicking) the X1 box with On Demand is showing a lot of promise.

Contributor

Re: Chronic issues with X1 service

@maxx is the x1 part of your bundle package? I mean do you pay anything additional for any of the x1 boxes? If you are paying for each box/dvr then you can change the x1 boxes without voiding the contract. Also make sure you are in a contract not just a 1 or 2 year promo.
If you are in a contract try calling them I think down here the do make exceptions.

Contributor

Re: Couple of X1 issues for a new user...

@dwj-1 wrote:

I'm just learning the basics for our new X1 box and a couple of things have come up that I haven't been able to puzzle out: BTW, we seem to have the early March update.

No "Apps" item on XFINITY page - we have triple-play and I believe I have everything set up correctly (security pin, internet DVR Manager, etc.), but cannot get to any apps. Is there some magic I'm missing to enable/add the "Apps" item on the XFINITY page?

Prefer SD recordings but most seem to be defaulting to HD channels - we just want SD recording for now and seem to be getting mostly HD (at least from the rate of disappearing disk space). How does one tell if a particular recording is SD or HD? IS there a way force SD recordings always? The "Series record" dialogs don't seem to offer SD/HD choices; do I have to be careful and set up the recording schedules using the SD channel? BTW, I found and turned "off" the autotune to HD option.

I'm assuming esata expansion capabilities are not supported yet with this DVR, are they expected/promised in the future? Timelines of any sort?

Thanks for any insight, but I want to add that as a long time Tivo customer (Series 2 still kicking) the X1 box with On Demand is showing a lot of promise.

Djw-1

For the No Apps situation try restarting the device by going into xfinity menu then setting, then under device settings, If that does work try unplugging the box for about 1 minute and plugging back in. If then you still don't have the apps call Comcast.

There isn't a way for just SD only recordings like the HD auto setting, But when you do set up a series recording there should be the option to "record HD only " or "record SD only".

Frequent Visitor

Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

Okay, so we just got our new X1 box today and have been going through the process of setting up all our programs on the box to record.  Oddly though, we're having the following problem which we've reported to Comcast:

You can set up a seies to record new episodes. Clearly, you can see that there's a new episode airing in the next day or so, but when you browse the "Scheduled" tab in the DVR it states "No recordings scheduled in the next 14 days".  If you go into the guide and find the specific single episode that airs in the next day or so, and make a selection to record the single episode, then it will appear under the "Scheduled" tab.

I'm wondering if all of the series recordings that I've set up, now will not record.  Comcast Tier 1 logged the information and passed it to Tier 2. Has anyone else had problems setting up series recordings or getting them to record?

Contributor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

Make sure that you don't have a filter attached directly to the box.

Frequent Visitor

@aguiar0016 wrote:

@dwj-1 wrote:

Djw-1

For the No Apps situation try restarting the device by going into xfinity menu then setting, then under device settings, If that does work try unplugging the box for about 1 minute and plugging back in. If then you still don't have the apps call Comcast.

There isn't a way for just SD only recordings like the HD auto setting, But when you do set up a series recording there should be the option to "record HD only " or "record SD only".

Thanks for the suggestions, aguiar0016, I had tried both of these reboot methods earlier but they did not work. I tried them again with no effect. Time to put a call in to Comcast.

The info on the HD/SD recording is helpful, I'll try remaking some of the series recordings and pay more attention to channel selection and options to see if I can get more SD options (or our SD set might just die and we could get a new TV! :-)

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR box not working AGAIN!

@tip13 wrote:

i called the number they told me to calll (877-896-8678) and it said their was problem and the technicins were working on it. It may take several days. So i am w/o a TV for serveral days!!! It also said if you hold yuo may speak with a representative BUT all you get is a BUSY signal COMCAST service and Equipment is TERRIBLE!

Been there, done that.  That number is no good - it never works.  I would not trust that message either about them working on it.

You have to call the normal local service number.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 DVR box not working AGAIN!

@screenname137 wrote:

@tip13 wrote:

Been there, done that.  That number is no good - it never works.  I would not trust that message either about them working on it.

You have to call the normal local service number.

Well in mid-late Feb I called that number around 7pm on a Friday, and got through with very little waiting. The rep was fairly helpful. So apparently YMMV. 

Frequent Visitor

I just deleted everything. So my recordings Folder is empty and my deleted folder is empty. Yet the box shows as being 38% full. This product is unbelievably unstable. This is basic functionality that TiVo has had working for years and years. I don't understand why this is so hard to get right. They either need to hire better software programmers or better testers or both. On top of that the direct 800-number that they have for X1 customers kept cutting me off yesterday ... tried three times got cut off each time. So the call center/IVR function is broken also.
Contributor

When I deleted some vids it didn't update for like a day. It may take a while but it did clear out. If you want try restarting it?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Issue with X1 not Recording/Displaying Series

Okay, I'm not following here. Do you mean, a software filter that would restrict the view of the recording list?  Where would these be set?  On the STB? Online in the DVR Manager or Both?

Regular Contributor

doing better now

Hi folks,

With the latest software revs, most of my issues with the X1 box have been resolved. It records when it should, and lets me start watching a show part way through the recording. I have not seen the corruption in the "last 9" function in a while. Still some funkyness with percentage used, but it seems to eventually show a percentage that I agree with...after it shows a percentage that seems wildly high. 

I'd still like the fans to be quieter, and have an easy way to get to favorites, and an easy way to change input functionality,  but it no longer is so irritating to play with that I wonder if I'll even be able to watch TV...

Frequent Visitor

Re: doing better now

I spent over 2 hours in the past 3 days with them on the phone.  The issue I am having now is the video is not showing on the screen.  I have audio however... i have done all the rebooting, waiting, rebooting, waiting. its so frustrating.  I am calling them soon to get credits put on my account.  Anyone else having this issue with the video signal not making it to the TV?

Frequent Visitor

@dwj-1 wrote:

@aguiar0016 wrote:

@dwj-1 wrote:

Djw-1

Thanks for the suggestions, aguiar0016, I had tried both of these reboot methods earlier but they did not work. I tried them again with no effect. Time to put a call in to Comcast.

The info on the HD/SD recording is helpful, I'll try remaking some of the series recordings and pay more attention to channel selection and options to see if I can get more SD options (or our SD set might just die and we could get a new TV! :-)

Just a quick follow up that the "Apps" missing from the XFINITY menu is due to the 480p SD video setting, apparently HD output is required. It shows up when I set video to 1080i, but of course I get an incorrect aspect ratio.

More reason to FINALLY move to HD... (am I the LAST one in this forum that has SD! :-)

Regular Contributor

@gmtivo wrote:

Hi, gmtivo. I have notified the support team and product management team of the "vanishing DVR recording" issue. I will reach out to you directly to gather some specific account level information needed to trouble shoot this issue. 

-Kara

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@HD-Tech wrote:

2 new issues.

1) These boxes clearly are not turning off all the way.  First its obvious by the fan noise and the others that have measured their power draw being the same when on and off.  But I have now come down twice first thing in the morning to an "off" box and turned it on and if I leave on whatever channel is on, I have 1 hour of buffer that I can back up... So I if turn on my TV at 7am, I can literally rewind to 6am. 

This is off a fresh turn on from being off all night.  And the DVR didnt kick on overnight to record anything incase that is a theory.  Its odd but I am more annoyed that it doesnt really turn off.  This things doesnt exactly sip power.

2) I am seeing DVR recordings disappear.  Just tonight, I had at least 2 recordings that vanished.  There are a couple of series I am behind on.  I happened to look the other night to see how much I had to watch and had 7 and 4 espisodes to watch in 2 series since I was going to have some time this weekend.  VERY certain about these numbers.  Tonight I see 6 and 3 episodes.  And sure enough, when I navigate into the episode guide, there is a random middle episode missing in the middle (easy to see when they show season # and episode #). These episode where there on Wednesday night. 

Missing recordings or deleting episodes are not acceptable!

re: issue #2 - 

I have notified the support team and product management team of the "vanishing DVR recording" issue. I will reach out to you directly to gather some specific account level information needed to trouble shoot this issue. 

I need to do some investigation on issue #1. 

-Kara

Regular Contributor

Actualy, i've measured its power consumption. Its 30 watts whether it says its off or not. And yes, the ongoing fan noise is annoying. 

Regular Contributor

@bradbortner wrote:

Actualy, i've measured its power consumption. Its 30 watts whether it says its off or not. And yes, the ongoing fan noise is annoying. 

Pretty sure that's the expected behavior, though maybe not the customer-desired behavior. I though ComcastKaraT had posted an explanation about an overnight spin-down / low power cycle (assuming you're not watching or recording anything) but I can't find it; maybe it was in another thread. What I did find was her statement in mid-Feb that "we are looking into ways to reduce energy consumption from the STB. stay tuned."

I'm generally pretty sensitive to power consumption, but I also like the fact that the DVR is always buffering. Many times I've turned on the TV a few minutes after a show has started and decided that I want to go back and catch it from the beginning, and I can. I know I've been spoiled, but I'd miss that if it went away. It worked like that on Fios as well. 

Regular Contributor

Now when trying to go to my DVR, I get "Due to system maintenance, DVR is unavailable. This feature will be ready shortly".  It's now been this way for the past 2 hours.

Why am I paying for DVR service that doesn't work during primetime, randomly deletes recordings that do not show up in the Deleted section and doesn't show me conflicts?

Regular Contributor

DVR Not Available

Achar-

I saw the same DVR message around 8pm last night. I couldn't access any of my recordings, or see the scheduled list.

Kara-

How is this possible? Can you provide some guidance if some of our recordings are now being stored in the cloud? 

This is the first bug that's actually really annoyed me, as I wanted to watch some recorded programs last night and couldn't.

Frequent Visitor

I just got an X1 on 3-17, and I am truly enjoying the experience over the old DVR. HD guildes, finally. My only problems involve remote recording off of the iPad app or the Comcast.com tv listings. I am trying to re-program my dvr to set up series recordings from the iPad app but no entries are created, instead I find listings under the Priority Manager but no listings under the Scheduled Recordings. It says something like "no recordings scheduled for the next 14 days." I can't even set up series recordings from the dvr no matter what I try it goes directly to the Priority Manager. Anyone have any suggestions?
Regular Contributor

missed recording

Since sometime after the March 2nd software update, my experience with the X1 has been much, much better than it originally was. But it still failed to record a show on Sunday at 8pm. I had two shows set to record (8-8:30 and 8-10), and we ended up watching the 8-10 show live. But it still should have been recorded. 

So a heads-up that there still appear to be some bugs in the core functionality (recording what I tell it to record). 

Frequent Visitor

@acheck981 wrote:

Now when trying to go to my DVR, I get "Due to system maintenance, DVR is unavailable. This feature will be ready shortly".  It's now been this way for the past 2 hours.

Why am I paying for DVR service that doesn't work during primetime, randomly deletes recordings that do not show up in the Deleted section and doesn't show me conflicts?

I got the same message. Personally, I'm not complaining about that message, because it implies that they're doing some system maintenance and upgrades to fix things. Do you want your DVR to continue to delete recordings or for them to patch the system and fix it?

Regular Contributor

Patch and fix please. If I wasn't moving into a house this fall and switching to directv, I would get a TiVo now.
Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Not Available

@PSUMattDE wrote:

Achar-

I saw the same DVR message around 8pm last night. I couldn't access any of my recordings, or see the scheduled list.

Kara-

How is this possible? Can you provide some guidance if some of our recordings are now being stored in the cloud? 

This is the first bug that's actually really annoyed me, as I wanted to watch some recorded programs last night and couldn't.

PSUMattDE: The DVR recordings are stored locally on the set top box, however the X1 ui/navigation/index is stored in the cloud. I am sorry our maintenance disrupted your viewing experience. 

Regular Contributor

@FeeFiFum wrote:
I just got an X1 on 3-17, and I am truly enjoying the experience over the old DVR. HD guildes, finally. My only problems involve remote recording off of the iPad app or the Comcast.com tv listings. I am trying to re-program my dvr to set up series recordings from the iPad app but no entries are created, instead I find listings under the Priority Manager but no listings under the Scheduled Recordings. It says something like "no recordings scheduled for the next 14 days." I can't even set up series recordings from the dvr no matter what I try it goes directly to the Priority Manager. Anyone have any suggestions?

FeeFiFum - I am sorry you are having issue with DVR scheduling. I am going to send you a PM to gather specific information in order to trouble shoot this issue. 

Regular Contributor

@rog286713 wrote:

This is true statement because the box needs to be able to wake to do things like record, system updates, etc. etc. However, this box is different from previous boxesand this is a legitamate issue and dismissing the complaints about it demonstrates a lack of understanding or lack of experience with this new X1 box. 

What it really appears like right now is that the only actual function of the power button looks to be nothing more than turning off the green LED power light.  Look at list of complaints here when the box is off:

• Power draw is the same. 
  • The same level of active cooling is happening (same decibel level from the fan)
  • Audio passthrough still occurring
  • DVR is still buffering

The sad part is that we can already turn off the LED light through the X1 menu if we want to, thereby making the power button completely irrelevant!   If you want to call this a standby state, then I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

My old Moto 3410 box didnt do any of these things.  I knew it wasnt in a true zero power state but it was certainly more "off" than simply turing off some LEDs on the front. 

It should be quite acheivable to have a lower power standby state where the box is on enough to perform the necessary functions of receiving system updates and waking sufficiently to record something. 

Regular Contributor

Achar-

I had the same issue last night

Regular Contributor

@MedX172 wrote:

I got the same message. Personally, I'm not complaining about that message, because it implies that they're doing some system maintenance and upgrades to fix things. Do you want your DVR to continue to delete recordings or for them to patch the system and fix it?

No it doesnt.  They wont issue any real maintanence in primetime.  This is just a bug that happens right now from time to time (read back a few pages and you will prior messages about it).  It sounds like they are aware of it and hopefully a fix is coming soon.

Contributor

I understand that the x1 is basically another modem and needs the levels within specs for it to work properly. Why can't anyone plug a cat5e in the back of the x1 for Internet? I see you can record 2 and watch a 3rd show, why couldn't you just put another tuner in it? It is capable of any room DVr but that's what mocas do too. The only thing I see different about the x1 is if the signal is low it cuts out immediately with no tiling, it has a cooler looking interface, you can watch an extra show while recording the usual 2, you have some apps ,seems like the same thing?
Problem Solver

@HD-Tech wrote:

@rog286713 wrote:

This is true statement because the box needs to be able to wake to do things like record, system updates, etc. etc. However, this box is different from previous boxesand this is a legitamate issue and dismissing the complaints about it demonstrates a lack of understanding or lack of experience with this new X1 box. 

What it really appears like right now is that the only actual function of the power button looks to be nothing more than turning off the green LED power light.  Look at list of complaints here when the box is off:

• Power draw is the same. 
  • The same level of active cooling is happening (same decibel level from the fan)
  • Audio passthrough still occurring
  • DVR is still buffering

The sad part is that we can already turn off the LED light through the X1 menu if we want to, thereby making the power button completely irrelevant!   If you want to call this a standby state, then I have some oceanfront property in Kansas to sell you.

My old Moto 3410 box didnt do any of these things.  I knew it wasnt in a true zero power state but it was certainly more "off" than simply turing off some LEDs on the front. 

It should be quite acheivable to have a lower power standby state where the box is on enough to perform the necessary functions of receiving system updates and waking sufficiently to record something. 

It's at least a little more than that given that the video output is also disabled when the box is put into "turned off" (more like "standby"/"sleep") state.  In addition, if you were watching a DVD recording or VOD, or perhaps were using some app, if you "turn off" the box, when you turn it back on you will be back on live (linear) TV.  So, while at least some other typial things--like spinning down of the hard drive(s), spinning down of the fan(s), disabling audio, etc.--aren't really happening, a few more things than simply turning off the power LED are taking place.

It's possible that there should be more to this turned off state, but there might either be some bugs with it currently and/or some parts haven't been fully developed just yet (as it is still a fairly new box and serivce), so those parts have not been enabled for now and might be in the future.

That said, one of the upsides of how the box currently works is that you actually have a continuous buffer going, so when you turn on the box and TV next time and find that you are on a channel where you wanted to see something that happened a few minutes ago (or even up to an hour ago), you should be able to do that using the existing buffer.  Too bad you can't change between tuners and have multiple buggers (at least not so far).

Problem Solver

@MedX172 wrote:

@acheck981 wrote:

I wonder if restarting/reseting the box at that time would allow you DVR access.

Aside from the fact that updates and/or maintenance, especially where access to fairly important features like DVR would be affected, really shouldn't be happening even close to a time when people might typically be watching TV (like in the evening), even when there might be updates/maintenance, given that the DVR recordings are actually saved on the local drive within the box itself (at least so far), you really shouldn't be blocked from playing them back--there might be something here or there that currently prevents that for some reason, but it should really be changed not to get in the way of doing something that should really be available in "offline"/standalone mode, like simply playing back a recording that already exists on the box.

Frequent Visitor

This is me again. It is 3 days later and now I have no service whatsoever. My wife called the 800 number by mistake this morning and was treated rudely by the call center there. i had her call the 611 number and she got better service but now they are saying that a tech has to come to the house because there is a wiring issue. This is BS, we have had plenty of techs here already to check wiring in the past. Besides that, all three tvs worked last night. We are also being told that the boxes may be bad...really, does Comcast think I am that dumb to believe that three different boxes would go out overnight on the same night? Come on, let's be realistic. As I mentioned in my earlier post I was waiting on an "network engineer" to call....still waiting after 7 days to get that call. My wife was also asked today for my cell phone number so a tech could call me right back....you guessed it....still waiting. I was contacted via the forum mail by Kara asking for my phone number or account number so she could immediately escalate the call. Sent that information....nothing. In tonight's call to the call center the call taker got upset with me apparently because I knew the steps she was going to ask me to do (I think I have completed the entire Comcast script training at this point) and had done them ahead of time and only wanted to see what she was showing on her house check screen. I was put on hold for a bit and when the call taker came back on the line she apologized and said there was nothing she could do as they cannot override a call for a tech. So here we are right back at square one with someone who most likely will come to the house check the signal at the boxes, say it is a good signal and then change the boxes out in hopes that it will work.....can you sense the insanity here? I am looking for help at this point if not from Comcast then from anyone on this forum that can suggest government agencies that might be able to assist me in getting a resolution to this. Also does anyone have any experience with AT&T? They are the only other choice in my area and while I understand that their service is not as good as Comcast, I am thinking any form of reliable and stable service is better than I am paying for now. Thanks
Frequent Visitor

thanks, we moved here from Tampa and had Brighthouse, they set the bar pretty high and Comcast is not coming close.
Regular Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

PSUMattDE: The DVR recordings are stored locally on the set top box, however the X1 ui/navigation/index is stored in the cloud. I am sorry our maintenance disrupted your viewing experience. 

Please please please please please tell the X1 management team that the UI, content index, etc., need to be cached locally for this very reason! 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response. I just want service that works. We are part of a promo so that could be the penalty we will have to pay.
Frequent Visitor

It seems odd that you can't play a recorded show that is stored locally on the DVR when the uplink is lost. Perhaps the programmers can implement some type of emergency standalone capability. When the uplink is lost default to a locally cached user interface so you can play recordings. Once uplink is restored it would resynch and update the "cloud" with any changes that occurred while in standalone mode...the uplink seems to be too unreliable for the current mode of operation.
Contributor

It took about a minute to list be recorded shows. Now it's been a minute since I've clicked on a show to play and there is no information showing up and I can't watch the show. This is very frustrating.