Community Forum

X1 Forum

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

My local Comcast office said that Miami-Dade and Broward counties are supposedly getting the X1 guide on Monday the 18th. Hopefully, that's true. I currently have a Motorola DCX box, so I should be getting the update, but is it worth looking into getting the new box as well?

Frequent Visitor

I called the service center in Pompano. The guy I spoke to told me that he had just read the notice about it and even found it and read it back. He also mentioned that the Davie service center has the Cisco boxes. I'd like to think someone wouldn't make all that up, but who knows.
Regular Contributor

@thoma wrote:

Does anyone know why apps (as in FB/Twitter/Pandora) only appear on one box (DVR) and not on the four other boxes?

Tom

thoma - thanks for your question. Please note that the non-DVR X1 boxes only support traffic at weather at this time. 

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: x1 Box indicators not lighting up when recording shows

@acnas wrote:

I don't have any lights on the front of this box lighting up when shows are recording or light for data??  Kind of stinks having to go into dvr to make sure shows are recording? Don't know if something got turned off?  What do the buttons by the clock do?  Is there a manual for this box?

acnas - thank you for your questions. 

1. The missing red light during DVR recordings is a known bug and we hope to have it resolved very soon. 

2. The two buttons on the front of your box currently are not programmed with any functionality and will most likely be removed from future models. 

Thanks!

Regular Contributor

@aguiar0016 wrote:

I am a X1 user for a few months now, even though it does have some bugs (some constant some random) overall it is an improvement compared to older DVR's.

Anyone have the issue with series recordings that it is recording show that are not "new"? If I remember to go into the recordings ahead of time and try to delete it, it requires 2-3 tries to finally stop the recording from occurring.

Thanks

aguiar0016 -  Are you still having this problem? If so, can you send me a PM with example of which shows are having this issue and your phone/account number? I will try to escalate this if its a reoccuring issue. 

Regular Contributor

Re: What all is offered with the new dvr?

@ginar wrote:

I know that dish has the hopper and direct TV has the genie. They offer more recording time. Does the new dvr with comcast offer more recording time?

ginar - the X1 DVR box can record up to  65 HD and 250 SD. 

Regular Contributor

@TiredRetired wrote:

OK, here's the thing.  I have read every post on this thread and I have a few observations.

First, we are given hardly any information.  Comcast takes the time to set up this forum yet after reading through it I know no more than I did before. 

When is the rest of the Comcast universe that has achieved the S26 milestone going to be upgraded to the latest and greatest?  Those of us not scheduled for 2.0 are most likely looking at two years or more before X1 becomes a reality for us.  I know, we will hear sooner but in reality upgrades come slow in the Comcast eco system and if one finds themselves toward the end of the upgrade chain it can be a long wait.  

I want 3,4,5 multi tuners, large recording capacity without maintaining external drives, folders for recorded shows, HD guide, Anyroom DVR, AnyPlay.  You guys get the message, right?  

Why does it take so long to work out the bugs on a new DVR operating system and roll it out?  I know things take time but how long is too long.  Many of us waited two years just for the S26 and, correct me If I am wrong or underestimating things, but that was basically just a bug fix.  Not really adding anything new in world of functionality.

Sorry for griping, but if complaints and honest concerns cannot be aired here, where in the Comcast eco system will they be heard any better?  

Work with us, communicate with us.  Give us information that means something.  Many of us are loyal customers who spend a lot of money every month.  

TiredRetired - Thank you for your comments and please know that they are heard and shared with the Comcast organization. 

RE: your comment on more tuners - that is a very common suggestion and the product management team is well aware of the desire for more tuners. 

I do not have information regarding the deployment strategy, however I do know each market manages it slightly differently. 

Regular Contributor

RE: your comment on more tuners - that is a very common suggestion and the product management team is well aware of the desire for more tuners. 

I do not have information regarding the deployment strategy, however I do know each market manages it slightly differently

I will asked the question again why is it so hard for Comcast/Xfinity to develop a dvr with more Tuners your compettion already has Tivo 4 Genie 5 (direct tv) Hopper 6 (dish) !!! This is what Comcast customers want more tuners and of course a decent storage space!! I aready have 2 dvdr's but I rather have one!! as for the deploymeny strategy, isn't  thier one in place already, if the product management team is aware, what is being done!! Comcast has to realize that thier is other options out there, so Comast needs to show more urgency and start making things happen!! I back to the deployment I live here in Chattanooga TN  nery interested but you have nom idea and that is very frustrating so its time to pick up the pace!!!

Problem Solver

It has been said the X1 could have have as many as six turners activated but Comcast has only activated two for recording and one to watch live. It just take Comcast forever to deploy anything new. Just a correction that the Dish Hopper only has three tuners but has PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) that can record the four networks on one tuner during Prime Time.

Frequent Visitor

As a very long time user of Comcast, I've lived with the ugly interface for many years. I have upgraded to the X1 system - which is still in "beta" testing in the SF Bay Area and uses the Pace PX001ANM Box. 

I love the new interface - yes it has gliches and bugs - if you don't like to be on the front edge - don't upgrade yet. 

If you have anyroom DVR - a warning. The X1 in our area doesn't do it. The X1 boxes installed in our other rooms had no DVR function - and no way of getting the programs recorded in the living room. I've had to upgrade all three rooms to the DVR box - and have to record the programs in all the rooms I want them in.

At least I have 3x the amount of recording space.

Best of all - thank you ComcastKaraT for trying to answer questions for those of us who could use additional documentation and for passing on feedback (hopefully) to the powers that be.

The only things I really miss now (other than anyroom DVR) are fast forward guides by day instead of hour and less info on the main guide about each show. At least the boxes can be updated easily.

Frequent Visitor

sammsterling,

The rep actually just referred to it as the X1 box. I was under the impression that all X1 boxes were Cisco branded, so that's my error.
Valued Contributor

I was under the impression that the boxes that are being shipped  out with the X1 software are Pace made and that the X series software is supposed to roll out onto the Cisco and Motorola DVR's later on.

Valued Contributor

From my understanding the two front buttosn on the X1 box are supposed to be for RF remote pairing? front and back

Frequent Visitor

Mutli-room X1 DVR

I have a any room DVR set up with 3 remote terminals on one DVR.  Any chance I could have my question answered? Ha!

Mutli-room X1 DVR 

If I add three X1 boxes replacing my Anyroom DVR service, can I play my rocordings on X1 from any X1 box I have in my home?

Tags (5)
Contributor

Re: Mutli-room X1 DVR

Mike I believe you are correct.  I received all new PACE boxes.  I previousily had CISCO RNG150n and Motorola DVR.

Finally, I cannot watch what I record on the PACE DVR with the other PACE boxes.  Keep in mind I have 1 DVR box and 4 non DVR boxes.

Thomas

Regular Contributor

There's a lot of sour grapes and conjecture going on here - I get it - some "new thing" seems cool and not everyone can have it.  Therefore it must be so bad, who would want it, right?

Read the comments - from those who actually have an X1 box - many are enjoying the X1 box, bugs notwithstanding.  Remember; it is voluntary - I am sure I could trade mine back in if it becomes too much of a burden.

Why try it (if you could)?  There are many new features that for some users outweigh the issues. It's not just the new guide - the picture quality is slightly better - not night and day, but better.  Being able to access CC without turning off the box and going into "hidden setup mode" is nice too.  We have more recording space that we did before.  In general most features are improved - just somewhat unfinished in areas.  My wife likes it better, therefore it is better. Smiley Happy If it weren't for her wanting cable, I'd just put up an HD antenna and otherwise use my XBOX and ROKU.

That said, the moaning and groaning, uninformed opinions, and disparaging comments are not of a "support" nature and belong in some other forum - unless I misunderstand this forum.  I have my issues with Comcast as well.

This forum is for the X1 box and support issues.  Seems like that is the type questions KaraT is answering - support issues and I appreciate that someone is doing that.

Regular Contributor

@screenname137 wrote:

There's a lot of sour grapes and conjecture going on here - I get it - some "new thing" seems cool and not everyone can have it.  Therefore it must be so bad, who would want it, right?

Read the comments - from those who actually have an X1 box - many are enjoying the X1 box, bugs notwithstanding.  Remember; it is voluntary - I am sure I could trade mine back in if it becomes too much of a burden.

Why try it (if you could)?  There are many new features that for some users outweigh the issues. It's not just the new guide - the picture quality is slightly better - not night and day, but better.  Being able to access CC without turning off the box and going into "hidden setup mode" is nice too.  We have more recording space that we did before.  In general most features are improved - just somewhat unfinished in areas.  My wife likes it better, therefore it is better. Smiley Happy If it weren't for her wanting cable, I'd just put up an HD antenna and otherwise use my XBOX and ROKU.

That said, the moaning and groaning, uninformed opinions, and disparaging comments are not of a "support" nature and belong in some other forum - unless I misunderstand this forum.  I have my issues with Comcast as well.

This forum is for the X1 box and support issues.  Seems like that is the type questions KaraT is answering - support issues and I appreciate that someone is doing that.

Hear, hear. We also need to keep in mind that people who are satisfied with a product or service are far, far less likely to post to a message forum like this. If 10% of the customers are having problem (which would still be too much, but that's not the point) do 95% of the posting, it's going to look like almost everyone is experiencing problems. 

Also, ComcastKaraT is being pretty patient with the repeat questions here. I don't know how many times I've been very close to posting "SEARCH AND READ! This has already been asked and answered!"

Contributor

Yes I am. I'll send you the information

Contributor

danooo.

You cannot watch any recordings from the anyroom dvr on the X1 or vice versa, If you want to keep the ability to watch recordings on the terminals you will have to keep the anyroom DVR.

Regular Contributor

ok, here is another semi-support comment or comments.

yes, if someone is really interested in the X1 they should read most of the comments in this forum!

i am wondering what "slighly better" video quality means and which older box you may be comparing it to?  on a side note, i never thought the video processor was just so-so until i got my tivo.  strikingly brilliant video processor.  it is hard to compare since really the only way one could do that is checking a box out with the same HD TV.

more storage space?  well i know here in florida motorola country either you got a 320 or 500GB drive.  i think the 65 hours of HD that is referred to would be 500GB.  the anyroom dvr's have that, mostly down here are DCX3501 boxes.  i guess if u put on the 1TB expander (probably no workie in X1 (no workie here yet on motorola boxes anyway plus you know DISH has had this for over 5 years maybe)) you could get another 130 hours (i suppose 200 hours might be enough).  i used to have a DC(H or T)3625 and it is much slower and has a smaller drive than the anyroom.  i know this because my friend has one and it is fairly fast, actually very fast function response times.  it would be nice if someone who really knows would compare what they had (and what it was) to these new boxes.

as for putting up an HD antenna instead of cable?  i dont know what to say since i dont know what the xbox and roku do, BUT NO CABLE CHANNELS?  what, u dont like the selection of new dramas, etc on networks like TNT,FX, even USA now, not to mention CABLE NEWS???  well i suppose if those 2 boxes can do 1080P and output digital audio and also have a good browser to watch some shows on the internet, i might give you that.  IT WOULD BE NICE IF COMCAST OUTPUT 1080P AND NOT 1080i.

Lets make a list now for all the people who are new and lazy about reading:

1. red recording light no workie at the moment
  2. still only 2 record and 1 playback (even though the box MAY be capable of 6 tuners), just like dvrs that came out maybe a decade ago?
  3. anyroom no workie
  4. all kinds of crazy quirks and things that have been fixed for years

i just want to say one more thing (ok, maybe more than one).  WHAT DO YOU PAY FOR YOUR SERVICE???  is it more or less than your electric bill???  RIDICULOUS. but that is the way the world we live in is.  i am wondering if the pricing for the new service is any different.  comcast is probably the biggest cable company in this great nation and i wonder where all the billions of dollars go.  well i will tell you one thing, THEY SPENT MILLIONS REBRANDING THEIR NAME TO XFINITY.  maybe some of that should go to some very intelligent QA (quality assurance) people.  YA THINK?  

ok, end semi-support comment.  maybe i should stop the email notifications and just check in once in a while!  

sorry to disturb anyone who is annoyed...but to be fair, i have been thru many cable systems and the digital cable migration for the last 20 years plus i have been many many things in the computer industry for the last 30 years so i think i have a good basis for all my observations.

what do i really think?  LOL.  well i am stuck with comcast (they do really have great cable and internet services in this area) because i live in a condo where the basic cable (over $70 a month down here) is in my maintenance and ATT is not allowed in here (wouldn;t go uverse anyway, ripoffs) and i cant put a dish on (not a good option in florida anyway) so if you have the money, go out and buy a Tivo Elite.  yes it costs $500 (including wireless equip and warranty) plus $15 a month, but it has 4/1 tuners, 300 hours of hd expandable to another 150) a super video and audio processor plus apps.  ok, so the software is another story, but its all worth it if you have been sick for years being at 90+% and also asking comcast for those same number of years to activate the hard drive which has the boxes have been capable of for many many years.  oh my, i could go on and on and on, but i wont.  

gee, this was a long one.  so sorry.  going to the email options now.

Regular Contributor

Kudos and Complaints about the X1 box.

Thoughts on X1 box so far. Promsing, but buggy:

Promising elements: 

• User interface is nice
  • Unified search is great
  • On demand is still unbeatable in the cable industry
  • RF remote is nice 
  • Small size is nice

Bugs annoyances:

• Fan noise is constant and loud. Really bad since it is part of my audio/media center. Have spoken to comcast tech support. They claim latest patch actually made it better than it was in the past. 
  • Its an energy hog. It runs 30 watts morning noon and night, even when the whole house is asleep. The idea that they can't make the box more energy efficient is rubbish. Even old computers, these days, can wake on demand for communications and such. Come on comcast, pitch in to help stop global warming!
  • DVR is buggy. Sometimes it does not show currently recording shows as available until half way through the show, deleting old recordings does not free up space until you go into another menu (deleted). 
  • The "last" button occassionaly brings up a lower screen menu (which is should) with nothing (which it should not. Eventually this self corrects.
  • Remote missing input key, so I need to keep another remote around to switch to playing games with my kids or watching a blu ray movie. Annoying. 
Valued Contributor

Re: X1 equipment

I still don't know how these boxes handle an emergency alert message, or what it looks like. People keep asking me.

Regular Contributor

Re: Kudos and Complaints about the X1 box.

@bradbortner wrote:

Bugs annoyances:

• Fan noise is constant and loud. Really bad since it is part of my audio/media center. Have spoken to comcast tech support. They claim latest patch actually made it better than it was in the past. .
  • Remote missing input key, so I need to keep another remote around to switch to playing games with my kids or watching a blu ray movie. Annoying. 

Brad-

You may have a bad box then. My fan in my DVR can barely be heard.

Regular Contributor

My fan is also very loud, exchanged it and it's still very loud.

Highlighted
Contributor

I disagree.  All of my boxes DVR and non DVR run silently or I am hard of hearing.

Thomas

Regular Contributor

Maybe here in Cali , we just got a bad batch.  My buddies is loud too.  I can try again, when they have more in stock.

Regular Contributor

@ Pittsburgh-joe. thank you for your feedback. re: your comment on "info on the main guide" - you can turn off the info pop up in the guide, if you prefer not to have it. go to Settings -> Preferences -> "Display Info Pop-ups"

Regular Contributor

@ Pittsburgh-joe. thank you for your feedback. re: your comment on "info on the main guide" - you can turn off the info pop up in the guide, if you prefer not to have it. go to Settings -> Preferences -> "Display Info Pop-ups"

Frequent Visitor

So to the surprise of no one, there was no X1 update today. I called the local service center back, and of course, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Comcast's excellent, well-informed customer service strikes again.

I think it's time I start looking into U-verse.
Regular Contributor

@MikeWolf - thanks for your comment. The two buttons on the front of the X1 box were never programmed with specific functionality and may be removed from box models in the future.

New Poster

apps

Hi, can I add a netflix app to my x1?

Regular Contributor

Noise is in the ear of the beholder. I can definitely hear the fans, although they are not irregular or whiney. They just sound like fans. Its a very cheap way to cool a system these days. Lots of high tech goes with passive cooling. 

And I'm in MA, so I don't think its a "bad batch in CA" issue. 

Contributor

Re: apps

@lsl1999 wrote:

@lsl1999

Right now you cannot add an app to X1

Regular Visitor

How do I get the clock to display when my box is off?

Regular Contributor

@dwitham wrote:

It has been said the X1 could have have as many as six turners activated but Comcast has only activated two for recording and one to watch live. It just take Comcast forever to deploy anything new. Just a correction that the Dish Hopper only has three tuners but has PTAT (Prime Time Any Time) that can record the four networks on one tuner during Prime

secpnd time posting you can record 6 six shows at once with the Hopper wiith PTAT on, IMO that should be the default setting!! genie can record 5 at once bottom line COMCAST  needs to get with the program increase the tuners and hard drive and dont worry about other apps I have (xbox,sony blue ray, roku for that!!) just want more recording options and space period!!! here is the link about the hopper and genie

http://www.dishtvblog.com/dish-news/dish-hoppertm-vs-directv-genietm/

Regular Contributor

Darkromeo- This is one of the handful of features missing from the box. They also need the option to control what is displayed on the front of the box while you are watching like the old box could (ie time or channel).
Regular Contributor

Stereo / Surround Issue

Have had this happen a few times where surround (Dolby Digital) was not working even though the box settings indicated surround.

By toggling the setting to Stereo and back to Surround solved it.  Maybe this is helpful to others who are having surround issues.

Regular Contributor

Skipping back to beginning of recording.

Have experienced this problem a few times now on recordings:

while FF or skipping over "uninteresting marketing media", playback stops and jumps back to the episode info page - no "resume" - we have to start over and that particular area of the recording will not allow FF, Skip, RW, Play, etc - any of those buttons cause the recording to exit with no resume.

Regular Contributor

@bradbortner wrote:

Promising elements: 

• User interface is nice
  • Unified search is great
  • On demand is still unbeatable in the cable industry
  • RF remote is nice 
  • Small size is nice

Bugs annoyances:

• Fan noise is constant and loud. Really bad since it is part of my audio/media center. Have spoken to comcast tech support. They claim latest patch actually made it better than it was in the past. 
  • Its an energy hog. It runs 30 watts morning noon and night, even when the whole house is asleep. The idea that they can't make the box more energy efficient is rubbish. Even old computers, these days, can wake on demand for communications and such. Come on comcast, pitch in to help stop global warming!
  • DVR is buggy. Sometimes it does not show currently recording shows as available until half way through the show, deleting old recordings does not free up space until you go into another menu (deleted). 
  • The "last" button occassionaly brings up a lower screen menu (which is should) with nothing (which it should not. Eventually this self corrects.

bradbortner - thank you for your feedback. wanted to comment on a few items

re: energy consumption - we are looking into ways to reduce energy consumption from the STB. stay tuned.

re: last button latency - how long do you see the last 9 tray empty? do you frequently see it empty (every day? week?)

re: input key - common suggestion from (many) customers. product management team is aware of this. 

Regular Contributor

@MikeWolf wrote:

I still don't know how these boxes handle an emergency alert message, or what it looks like. People keep asking me.

EAS messages (weekly & monthly tests; actual EAS messages) are currently handled in the same manner as native boxes.

Valued Contributor

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@MikeWolf wrote:

EAS messages (weekly & monthly tests; actual EAS messages) are currently handled in the same manner as native boxes.

which is in what manner? I've seen several different different ways.

Regular Contributor

@dano0o wrote:

I have a any room DVR set up with 3 remote terminals on one DVR.  Any chance I could have my question answered? Ha!

Mutli-room X1 DVR 

If I add three X1 boxes replacing my Anyroom DVR service, can I play my rocordings on X1 from any X1 box I have in my home?

dano0o - thanks for your question. At this time, multi-room (anyroom) DVR service is not supported by the X1 platforms.

Regular Contributor

Re: apps

@lsl1999 wrote:

thanks, Isl199, for your question. At this time, the X1 platform does not support the netflix app. I've shared your question with the product management team for future consideration. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Menu "Ghosts" on-screen w/ X1 DVR

I am also experiencing this issue, occassionaly.  My DVR also "freezes" on me, and sometimes after watching a show that I have recorded, I can no longer receive any picture, just a graphic of the channel I am trying to watch and the sound from that channel...COMCAST PLEASE ADVISE...forgot to note that the only way that I can fix these issues is to unplug the box and start over.  Had to do these three to four times yesterday.

New Poster

Re: New Features for Scientific-Atlanta/Cisco Cable Boxes

I just got the X1 box last week and enjoying all the bugs you mention. Have a tech scheduled for Thursday, is there an update that can be applied and how?

Regular Contributor

Re: Skipping back to beginning of recording.

@screenname137 wrote:

while FF or skipping over "uninteresting marketing media", playback stops and jumps back to the episode info page - no "resume" - we have to start over and that particular area of the recording will not allow FF, Skip, RW, Play, etc - any of those buttons cause the recording to exit with no resume.

screenname137 - sorry you are having isuses. Wanted to ask a few questions in order to determine the issues.

Is it with a particular DVR recording or all DVR recordings? Do you have issues with On Demand playback? have you tried unplugging the box for a minute to see if that resolves the issue?

Regular Contributor

Re: Skipping back to beginning of recording.

@ComcastKaraT wrote:

@screenname137 wrote:

screenname137 - sorry you are having isuses. Wanted to ask a few questions in order to determine the issues.

Is it with a particular DVR recording or all DVR recordings? Do you have issues with On Demand playback? have you tried unplugging the box for a minute to see if that resolves the issue?

The problem doesn't affect every recording - just some and only in certain spots.  But if it happens in a certain area, it will repeatedly happen in the same area - so we just have to let it play through.  We have not tired unplugging the DVR.  My wife says it has only happened with one of the DVRs.  Next time, I'll try restarting the box.

Regular Contributor

@golfgreg74 wrote:

I am also experiencing this issue, occassionaly.  My DVR also "freezes" on me, and sometimes after watching a show that I have recorded, I can no longer receive any picture, just a graphic of the channel I am trying to watch and the sound from that channel...COMCAST PLEASE ADVISE...forgot to note that the only way that I can fix these issues is to unplug the box and start over.  Had to do these three to four times yesterday.

Had that same problem a day or so ago - I was able to navigate to the "restart" option in the settings menu, restarted, and that fixed it.  Without a recording light/indicator though, have to be careful to make sure not to do that in the middle of recording something else.

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately that is only a temp fix.  I have tried a hard and soft reset when the issue creeps up.

The service is GREAT when it works correctly and frustrating when it doesn't.

Thanks for the reply...

New Poster

There are so many bugs with the DVR I don't know where to start...

• Randomly records new episodes in a series, will for some and then not others.
  • Will not record an episode (repeat) of a series if you have a series recording set.
  • Records live sports then deletes them all by itself.
  • Will not let you watch a a program while its recording (insists on showing the live broadcast, can't rewind or restart).
  • To watch any DVR content the first try gives sound no picture, have to go back to the menu and start again.

Non-DVR issues;

• Often get banner of station, audio but never any video (have to reset the box to cure).
  • Commands get ignored from the remote (have to reset).
  • During Ondemand playback get black screen for a few seconds.
  • (this has only happened once so far) change channel and you get the channel banner, no video and the audio from the original channel!

Please tell me there is a firmware/software update coming soon to address some of this?

I might have to admit defeat and revert to the old box