Community Forum

X1 Forum

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 Forum

X1 XR2 R2 Remote deficiencies:

During conversations (voice, chat, email) about the X1 service with Comcast reps, one of the question I had directly asked was " Do I lose anything by have the X1 service installed?".  The answer was always "no".

By and large I have to agree.  I much prefer the X1 service across the board.    One point that is not equal is the XR2 R2 Remote (http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/xr2-xfinity-tv-remote/)

The new remote is able to be setup to control the box and my TV.  However, the "AUX" button from my previous remote is gone.   I no longer have the ability to control the DVD / Blu-Ray / HTS receiver using the new remote.

This deficiency was confirmed during a couple a calls and chats to a Comcast support.  

A cool thing to note, if you have a "Platinum Dark Silver" remote (or have kept yours during the upgrade to X1) this remote will work with your X1 service box (Pace PR150BNM X1).  So you can have the best of both worlds with X1 and the ability to control another part of your home theater setup using a Comcast/Xfinity remote.

New Poster

Is the X1 platform available in the Baltimore region and if not when will it be?  Also, what type of A/V connections does it use? (HDMI, component, composite, optical audio, coaxal)

Silver Problem Solver

x1 is not there, comcast has no roll out schedule so they say and it has all those connections. 

Regular Contributor

@derbystar16 wrote:
Hi screenname137, I don't want to be notified when X1 is available in my area, I want to know when it WILL be available in my area. For all I know, It could take 2 years before it actually comes to my area. I'd like to use the information so that I can make the decision on whether to stick with Comcast or go with DirecTv.

As ComcastKaraT wrote earlier in this very thread: 

Unfortunately, I do not have any information regarding X1 deployment. To determine if you are eligible, I suggest you call 1-800-XFINITY to verify if/when X1 will be available in your area. 

The Comcast rep covering these forums doesn't know, so I doubt anyone else here will have any real idea. 

Silver Problem Solver

Already live in areas of Georgia, New Jersey, Boston, Tennessee, San Francisco
and Philadelphia, it's recently launched in Colorado Springs, CO with more
promised in the coming months.

Regular Contributor

@Vectrexer wrote:

About the X1 Remote, I thought it was support to be an RF remote?    I have found that unless I point the remote directly at the box, there is no control of the X1 service.

I have already tried pair the remote with my box (Pace PR150BNM X1) a couple of times.   The pairing action works as expected using the directions from the xfinity web site and the one included when the X1 service was installed.  However it seems the remote still operates only via IR (infrared) control.

An I missing something here?

The remote is the XR2 R2

Hmm, sounds like you're doing it right. Works for me that way. Perhaps try unpairing the remote following instructions found here and then try pairing again? 

Contributor

As for remotes, I believe it is RF.  I don't need to point it directly at the box.  Personally I would go with Logitech myHarmony and program via the web.  That way I have one remote to work all devices.  Program surround sound to use volume up & down for the Pace RNG110.  Logitect corner the marker on this one.  One final note, I believe the logitech to be IR.  So I think the box uses both IR and RF.  This is not scientific so don't take it as fact.  

Valued Contributor

I still want to try to get an X2 remote and test things out with the RNG boxes. How would I be able to obtain one?

Regular Contributor

@MikeWolf wrote:

I still want to try to get an X2 remote and test things out with the RNG boxes. How would I be able to obtain one?

My guess would be to call Comcast and ask. 

Contributor

Re: X1 Forum Multiple Defects

Guess tonight was my night to encounter X1 software defects:

1. not sure exactly the sequence of buttons to cause it, but have ghost listing on right 1/4 of screen - had to cycle power on X1 box to get rid of it

2. this afternoon I scheduled two programs to record tonight - verified they were listed in scheduled recordings - this evening checked scheduled recordings again and both programs are not listed - checked guide and both programs still show red recording dot - neither program actually recorded :-(

3. scheduling a program to record using PC sometimes works - other times gets unknown error - when get an error, can schedule program using remote, but painful to do since program is one week in future - takes FOREVER to scroll guide into future - must press button, wait for guide to advance, press button, wait for guide to advance - can't hold button down or press button repeatedly as that causes X1 box to get totally confused and only power cycle will revive it - this is really lame!

4. did a restore of deleted recordings and disk full indication increased by 4 % - strange since data was already on the disk - just removed deleted tag

5. scheduled recordings list is useless - only shows date and time - have to manually select each item to see name of program - listing must show date, time, name of program, channel to be useful

It's obvious that whoever programmed the X1 box never used the DVR function.  The DVR function is almost totally useless due to poor reliability, no record indicator, missing info in guide, scheduled items disappearing, etc.  Some of these issues have already been reported by others, but I included them here for completeness.

Regular Contributor

@santa-clara wrote:

can schedule program using remote, but painful to do since program is one week in future - takes FOREVER to scroll guide into future - must press button, wait for guide to advance, press button, wait for guide to advance - can't hold button down or press button repeatedly as that causes X1 box to get totally confused and only power cycle will revive it - this is really lame!

Try the search function for the name of the show - much faster than trying to use the guide.

Agreed that some features are poorly implemented as if the programmer never used a DVR - like FF'ing past the end of a show and there's no way to rewind from the end - have to start over and FF to the end a try not to go past it. PITA.

Regular Contributor

@santa-clara wrote:

4. did a restore of deleted recordings and disk full indication increased by 4 % - strange since data was already on the disk - just removed deleted tag

I think that's the way it should work. I'm guessing here, but it's an informed guess based on the way Windows and Mac PCs work. When you delete a show, the space is considered to be available for a new recording, so it shows up with a lower percent full. If you happen to restore the show before it gets written over, then that space is no longer available. 

If you had your DVR 99% full, and then deleted half the content, you would want it to show ~50% full, right? Even if all the deleted shows are in the list of deleted programs and you could restore one, that space should still be considered "open". 

New Poster

What all is offered with the new dvr?

I know that dish has the hopper and direct TV has the genie. They offer more recording time. Does the new dvr with comcast offer more recording time?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: What all is offered with the new dvr?

if your talking about the x1 box which is the newest and is only available in a handful of markets the answer is no.  It has 3 tuners two to record one to watch a third show.   comcast has said there goal is to have your shows stored in the cloud not the dvr which would make the number of tuners not applicable.  Who knows how long that would take.   you can read about the x1 in the thread right above your post

Regular Visitor

X1 Questions

1) To get an X1, do I have to upgrade all my HD STBs at once to an X1, if so why?

2) In my home theater, I have a Harmony Remote that is IR only, does the X1 have both IR and RF control so that it will work with my remote?

Thanks so much

Regular Visitor

1) To get an X1, do I have to upgrade all my HD STBs at once to an X1, if so why?

2) In my home theater, I have a Harmony Remote that is IR only, does the X1 have both IR and RF control so that it will work with my remote?

Thanks so much

Regular Contributor

@sbf_stocks wrote:

Thanks so much

I don't think you have to upgrade them all - when I ordered ours I got the impression I could do one or all.

The X1 is IR by default and even with the "RF pairing feature" enabled, my Harmony 900 can still control it with IR so I think the X1 responds to both as best I can tell.

Contributor

For what it is worth, when I upgraded i replaced all of the boxes.  I was told it was best to do it that way.  It was at no cost.  BTW it took 3 hours to install the new boxes (5 of them).  There is no manual install possibility.

Beware that going to X1 has an installation charge.

Regular Visitor

@derbystar16 wrote:
Hi screenname137, I don't want to be notified when X1 is available in my area, I want to know when it WILL be available in my area. For all I know, It could take 2 years before it actually comes to my area. I'd like to use the information so that I can make the decision on whether to stick with Comcast or go with DirecTv.

Let me make sure I'm getting this straight.

You don't want to know when it is available in your area, you want to know when it is available in your area.

Am i reading this correctly?

Valued Contributor

I think he wants to know if it will ever be available in his area, as in the timeframe, six months, a year, two years,  so he can make the decision on if it is worth waiting for it or jumping ship to satellite.

Contributor

Does anyone know why apps (as in FB/Twitter/Pandora) only appear on one box (DVR) and not on the four other boxes?

Tom

Valued Contributor

Re: What all is offered with the new dvr?

Most Valued Poster

OK, here's the thing.  I have read every post on this thread and I have a few observations.

First, we are given hardly any information.  Comcast takes the time to set up this forum yet after reading through it I know no more than I did before. 

When is the rest of the Comcast universe that has achieved the S26 milestone going to be upgraded to the latest and greatest?  Those of us not scheduled for 2.0 are most likely looking at two years or more before X1 becomes a reality for us.  I know, we will hear sooner but in reality upgrades come slow in the Comcast eco system and if one finds themselves toward the end of the upgrade chain it can be a long wait.  

I want 3,4,5 multi tuners, large recording capacity without maintaining external drives, folders for recorded shows, HD guide, Anyroom DVR, AnyPlay.  You guys get the message, right?  

Why does it take so long to work out the bugs on a new DVR operating system and roll it out?  I know things take time but how long is too long.  Many of us waited two years just for the S26 and, correct me If I am wrong or underestimating things, but that was basically just a bug fix.  Not really adding anything new in world of functionality.

Sorry for griping, but if complaints and honest concerns cannot be aired here, where in the Comcast eco system will they be heard any better?  

Work with us, communicate with us.  Give us information that means something.  Many of us are loyal customers who spend a lot of money every month.  

Regular Contributor

@TiredRetired wrote:

OK, here's the thing.  I have read every post on this thread and I have a few observations.

First, we are given hardly any information.  Comcast takes the time to set up this forum yet after reading through it I know no more than I did before. 

When is the rest of the Comcast universe that has achieved the S26 milestone going to be upgraded to the latest and greatest?  Those of us not scheduled for 2.0 are most likely looking at two years or more before X1 becomes a reality for us.  I know, we will hear sooner but in reality upgrades come slow in the Comcast eco system and if one finds themselves toward the end of the upgrade chain it can be a long wait.  

I want 3,4,5 multi tuners, large recording capacity without maintaining external drives, folders for recorded shows, HD guide, Anyroom DVR, AnyPlay.  You guys get the message, right?  

Why does it take so long to work out the bugs on a new DVR operating system and roll it out?  I know things take time but how long is too long.  Many of us waited two years just for the S26 and, correct me If I am wrong or underestimating things, but that was basically just a bug fix.  Not really adding anything new in world of functionality.

Sorry for griping, but if complaints and honest concerns cannot be aired here, where in the Comcast eco system will they be heard any better?  

Work with us, communicate with us.  Give us information that means something.  Many of us are loyal customers who spend a lot of money every month.  

my friend I agree 100 percent!!!

Silver Problem Solver

comcast has said that the x1 will be compatible with bothe the SA cisco markets and the motorola markets.   I do not know if you know that your market is only 20% of comcasts footprint as you say your on SA26.   The rest of the country is Motorola on A30.   You dont need to be upgraded past where you are to get x1 but only certain boxes can handle the x1 guide.  From my perspective the only difference between the x1 and where we are now is how the guide looks and one more tuner, the apps are nice but I dont need to see facebook on my tv I have that already on my xbox.     I dont know how much time you spend in the guide but I use it to look for a show and then watch it, granted it looks nice but is it that much different its a look, its exactly like it is on your computer nothing more.    I think people are putting to much stock into the x1 as some giant leap forward and its not, its a new updated guide that was due 10 years ago is that such a big deal?   how much time do you spend in the guide?  I would think most of your time your watching a show not looking for one and no matter what box you have that experience is the same.

My take anyway. 

Most Valued Poster

Most Valued Poster

Not so much the guide itself but the things that come with it. Rog, please review my post. Most of the enhancements I would like to see will not come to me unless I get 2.0 (NOT) or x1.
Regular Visitor

x1 Box indicators not lighting up when recording shows

I don't have any lights on the front of this box lighting up when shows are recording or light for data??  Kind of stinks having to go into dvr to make sure shows are recording? Don't know if something got turned off?  What do the buttons by the clock do?  Is there a manual for this box?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: x1 Box indicators not lighting up when recording shows

if you read the posts prior you will see that the recording light is another thing that was forgotten. 

Silver Problem Solver

ok so guide 2.0 is a bridge for some markets mainly florida to get them up to speed

the x1 has three tuners but only two can record

in the newer dvrs specifically for your area the rng 200'[s have large hard drives

any play is not in most regions that is not something that has anything to do with the sa cisco market, I am in one of the most updated markets and I dont have it, I dont want to pay 10.00 a month to watch tv on my ipad. 

any room is available but do you really want one dvr and just a bunch of other boxes that can just access that main unit and do nothing more?  two dvrs is way better and you can record 4 shows at once.

why the bugs in the x1 is beyond me you give me that unit in beta I can tell you whats wrong in an hour, its like someone with no understanding of the dvr tested it that is unreal to me.

I also would love more info,  I feel this long awaited box is a big disappointment based on the feedback in this thread and the obvious features left out of it.  How can the biggest provider in america have such a poor showing

I saw tonight on dish, 6 tuners to record, and you can watch what you recorded on your mobile device, how can they be so far ahead of comcast who just spent billions to buy out the rest of nbc.  Its like they dont care and think no matter what they do people will just hang around and wait, that is not the case.   My in laws who also live in town all have fios I am the last hold out,  I look at what they have and its no better same two tuner garbage less mobile apps I just dont get it. 

Valued Contributor

Just a side note, the Cisco RNG200 has a 320GB hard drive (Silver housing) The Cisco RNG200N has a 500GB hard drive (Black housing)

Regarding any room, I was told the other boxes would be able to do everything the main DVR was able to do, as in record, watch, delete, and schedule recordings on the main DVR remotely.

Silver Problem Solver

Mike for the anyroom that is not the case, the anyroom slave boxes can only view whats on the main dvr unit nothing more.  they cannot set recordings  delete or schedule anything, they are purely slaves and can only view whats on the main unit nothing more.  this is not area dependant this is how it works, fios is exactly the same.

Valued Contributor

it would be nice to know when the x1 will be available in the pittsburgh area. Someone somewhere knows but for some reason they won't tell us.

Valued Contributor

Comcast says that Motorola and Cisco/SA equipment may get the X1 software, but haven't exactly said which specific models. We don't know if the current Motorola and Cisco/SA DVR's we're all using are compatible or if we're going to still be forced to upgrade to newer Motorola and Cisco/SA branded DVR's just to get models compatible with X1, or X2, or even XI3. Such as if a customer is using a SA8300HD DVR or SA4250HD or a Motorola DCH or DCT series.

Like I said before I find it funny that Comcast is already working on those new software versions when they can't even get the X1 guide to everyone first, Comcast only seems to care about giving the impression of having cutting edge technology but fails to implement it effectively in practice.

Valued Contributor

Vectrexer, the fact that you could use the dark platinum silver remote with the X1 software and X1 equipment is promising that if or when the X1 software is ever put on the Motorola/Cisco/SA equipment, new remotes won't need to be issued concurrent with the rollout. Or, it would mean that everyone could finally get the X1 remotes for use on the Motorola/Cisco/SA equipment that use the dark platinum silver remote.

The only concern I would have is the "D" button foudn on the X series remotes but not on the dark platinum silver remotes.  I would have to assume some either some sort of software adjustment would need to be made to the X1 software on the Motorola/Cisco/SA equipment to use an alternitive button found on those dark platinum silver remotes or some other solution.

Valued Contributor

Rog, I remembered where I saw that information, it was in the user documentation on the Motorola DCX3400 and the Cisco 8600 series with the MoCA whole room DVR functionality info. So it must be a software limitation that Comcast is using currently.

Regular Contributor

Video Settings Reverting Back

Has anyone experienced the Video Settings changing on their X1 box?

I have mine set to 1080p output (just got a brand new TV 3 weeks ago). PQ is fantastic.

But every 3 days or so - (since I have OCD) - I can tell that the picture looks different. Sure enough, I click over to the settings tab, and it's changed them back to 720p.

While it takes a matter of seconds to change it - it's just a PITA.

Contributor

I am a X1 user for a few months now, even though it does have some bugs (some constant some random) overall it is an improvement compared to older DVR's.

Anyone have the issue with series recordings that it is recording show that are not "new"? If I remember to go into the recordings ahead of time and try to delete it, it requires 2-3 tries to finally stop the recording from occurring.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Aguiar-

I have had 1 instance of my series recording tagging an old episode and recording it.

Haven't seen it repeat though...

And I agree with you - I would NEVER go back to the old DVR. I'm quite pleased with X1.

Now my billing - that's a whole other issue. I've been back with Comcast 8 months now - I've had to call or email regarding my bill now 6 of those months. It's slowly beginning to get old.

Most Valued Poster

Rog, you ended your comment with "I just don't get it".  Of course you do. Think about it my friend.  It is called competition.  DISH and DirecTV are competitors.  Do you think there would be this much innovation between them if they had been allowed to merge a number of years back?  Of course not.   Think how much better it would be for us to have at least two or three cable systems running down our street.  I guarantee things would be much better for us if that could happen.  Of course it never will.  Competition fuels innovation.  

Regular Contributor

@jerrylyons wrote:

Hi,

I've had my X1 for 2 months now.  Has anybody figured out how to skip a day or more on the guide?  Going hour by hour takes forever.

Thanks, Jerry

Jerrylyons - thanks for your question. Currently the X1 guide does not support this functionality. This is a common question/suggestion. The product management team is aware and will consider it for a future enhancement. 

Thank you!

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: search

@BekahGoldstein wrote:

We just recently got our boxes last Thursday.  We were able to search for shows.  Now, we are unable to do so. Instead we get the message "There are no results that match your result"  even when I press the red c for keyboard.  help

BehakGoldstein - I just sent you a PM to discuss your issues. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Favorites on X1

@Draxus wrote:

Is anyone else with an X1 being spammed with messages saying the DVR is almost full? I can't see any way to disable these warnings in the settings. 

Why would there ever be a warning about sotrage space? By their nature DVR's will always fill up and need to auto-delete old recordings. This is why we're given options for this behavior whenever we set up a series to record. The only time a warning would be justified would be if every series I'm recording was set to never delete any episodes, but I doubt anyone uses their DVR this way.

Draxus - This was a known bug last week. The issue was resolved last week. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 equipment backordered

@kevingossett047 wrote:

I have been trying to order the X1 service for 2 weeks and I keep getting told that Comcast has no X1 boxes and that they are on backorder. I live in the Atlanta area and I would like to know how much longer before I will be able to order X1.

Kevingossett047 - I am sorry to hear of this issue. I am not privvy to the deployment strategy for Atlanta, as each market manages the distribution differently. I would recommend calling back in a few weeks to see if the local agent has a better idea when it will be available. 

Thank you

Regular Contributor

@dano0o wrote:

Mutli-room X1 DVR 

If I add three X1 boxes replacing my Anyroom DVR service, can I play my rocordings on X1 from any X1 box I have in my home?

dano0o - Thanks for your comment. At this time, multi-room dvr is not supported with X1 boxes. The product management team is aware of these request and are considering for future enhancements. 

Regular Contributor

@emsed1 wrote:

Is this the correct forum to ask about X1 rollout?  I am in Urbana, IL.

Thanks

emsed1 - thanks for your post. Unfortunately, I do not have any information regarding X1 deployment. To determine if you are eligible, I suggest you call 1-800-XFINITY to verify if/when X1 will be available in your area.

Regular Contributor

@derbystar16 wrote:
When is zip code 18643 getting the X1 Guide?

derbystar16 - thanks for your post. Unfortunately, I do not have any information regarding X1 deployment. To determine if you are eligible, I suggest you call 1-800-XFINITY to verify if/when X1 will be available in your area.

Contributor

I feel dissed.    You did not answer my question.

Thomas

Regular Contributor

hi, well i hate to interject here again, being that i do not have the pleasure of the x1 experience, but don't you think that this is the place to find out about x1 dxeployment?  dont get me wrong, i am sure it would be some experience to see if anyone in billing/sales knows the term X1......

and to the people who say this is their best dvr experience to date, the question is why and what "old" dvr are you comparing this to?  just curious, thanks.

Contributor

I found out from the repair rep who said he installed X1 3 houses down.  Thats how I came about getting it.  Thats area code 08012.  I love the X1 and my life does not exactly revolve around TV.  So guide and search was big plus for me when I do sit down to watch TV.  I record 2 times a year at most if that.

From what I read, recording features are weak.

Thomas