Community Forum

What prevents CableCARD tuners from receiving TV Japan channels 3180 (HD) and 3290 (SD)?

Frequent Visitor

What prevents CableCARD tuners from receiving TV Japan channels 3180 (HD) and 3290 (SD)?

I have been told multiple times by Comcast agents that receiving TV Japan channels 3180 (HD) and 3290 (SD) requires the use of an Xfinity "X1 Box" and cannot be received using cable card digital tunners. I don't understand why a cable card tunner wouldn't be able to recieve these TV Japan channels unless perhaps they were "on demand" channels. However, TV Japan publishes a program schedule for these channels which supports the notion that TV Japan is a linear (i.e., scheduled broadcast time programming) channel, not on demand.

Furthermore, the I was told that the existing SD TV Japan channel available in my local channel line-up (330 in the SF bay area) is not available to add as a new service. I was able to add channel 330 last December (2017) but not this December (2018). It's not a technical issue because I have a friend that has and is subscribing to TV Japan on channel 330 with the same cable card setup that I have.

I don't get it. Does anyone get it?

Expert

Re: What prevents CableCARD tuners from receiving TV Japan channels 3180 (HD) and 3290 (SD)?

Is your friend who gets the channel in the same service area as you?

Does he carry the same service level as you?

Do you both carry HD service?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: What prevents CableCARD tuners from receiving TV Japan channels 3180 (HD) and 3290 (SD)?

I believe he is - he lives about a mile away and we both live in San Mateo County. How could I confirm that we live in the "same service area?"

Yes. We both have "Digital Starter" (for many years).

If you mean do we both receive HD channels, then yes, we both receive HD channels. However, the local TV Japan channel (330) is SD. Not sure the reason for your question.

Expert

@MrReis wrote:

I believe he is - he lives about a mile away and we both live in San Mateo County. How could I confirm that we live in the "same service area?"

Yes. We both have "Digital Starter" (for many years).

If you mean do we both receive HD channels, then yes, we both receive HD channels. However, the local TV Japan channel (330) is SD. Not sure the reason for your question.

Thank you for your reply. From your answers I cannot understand why the person you talked to said what he did. I will escalate your post so one of the Comcast people here can take care of this issue for you.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your reply. If you don't understand the situation, then I feel a little bit better that I don't undestand it either.

@MNtundraRET wrote:

... From your answers I cannot understand why the person you talked to said what he did. I will escalate your post so one of the Comcast people here can take care of this issue for you.

Official Employee

Hello MrReis. Thanks for posting in our community. I can assist with researching your account to see what is required to add TV Japan to your services. To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name so I can assist you. You can click my name (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile and send me a private message. Click "Send a private message" and private message me.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.