Community Forum

Weak signal or Scrambled channel

New Poster

Weak signal or Scrambled channel

So, I will admit that I am not cable savvy.  We purchased a flat screen TV about a year ago and hooked our cable directly to it. We had been told that the adapter box we had previously purchased about two years ago was only needed because, at that time, we had a non-digital TV. Today I turn the TV on and receive a weak signal message. When I called customer support I was told that I needed to have the adapter box hooked back up to receive any further tech support. If we were told that the adapter was only needed due to our old school TV, why would I need it on a new digital model? One of the reasons for purchasing the new TV - aside from it taking a good three minutes to warm up and providing a pretty cruddy picture - was to eliminate some of the extraneous boxes and other stuff clogging up TV viewing area. Now, my question. Do I seriously need to hook this back up? Any advice given would be appreciated. Thanks!

New Poster

Re: Weak signal or Scrambled channel

To add to previous post: Also wanted to say that we haven't had any connectivity issues in the almost year we've had it hooked up this way. Were we just lucky?

Bronze Problem Solver

katkendall wrote:

To add to previous post: Also wanted to say that we haven't had any connectivity issues in the almost year we've had it hooked up this way. Were we just lucky?

You can check your signal level on your cable modem at 192168.100.1

Actually "most" customers are trouble free, but since it is not all Comcast has a lot of work to do.  Following are some sites that help explain the encryption of the Local/Basic tier, if that is indeed what you are experiencing.  You should first open your TV's menu and and do a new 'Scan' to see if it just lost part of its' memory..

http://www.comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption/

http://blog.trebacz.com/2013/09/comcast-xfinity-hd-udta-pace-dc60xu.html     (uDTA hook-up)

Expert

katkendall wrote:

If we were told that the adapter was only needed due to our old school TV, why would I need it on a new digital model?

Because the adapters were so analog TV users could watch digital TV. Now Comcast uses the adapters as encryption devices. And worse, the adapters are not HD.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Contributor

HD DTA's are available at this time.  If you are already paying for HD svc on the account they are only $1.99 each.  You will not be able to view channels above the Starter package, but they are an affordable way to get HD to a non primary TV. 

I DO work for Comcast. Do I know everything? NO. Do I help thousands of customers every year? YES I do.
New Poster

Funny part is they never told us this on the phone, but you're correct they do have HD ones and their rep that visited the house today told us so.  He was a little disappointed to find out however that we have already signed up with Direct TV as we're done with Comcast....may regret it down the road, but bad customer service and nothing but prices going up and service going down for the last year and a half made the decision easy plus, if you sign up at Sam's they give you a $200 gift card. 

Official Employee

Why would you waste your time on a service call if you already were changing providers, I'm sure the tech was a lot of things because he went on a wasted trip but I'm pretty sure it wasn't disappointed.
New Poster

Thanks Andrew for your input / viewpoint but we didn't waste our time or their time on a service call.  They came door to door trying to up sell us - something they do almost monthly.  You inferred that it was a service call.  I said rep, not tech.