Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

WEAK SIGNAL

Regular Visitor

WEAK SIGNAL

I HAVE A WEAK SIGNAL AND MY PICTURE IS POOR QUALITY AND SOME OF MY DIGITAL CH DO NOT WORK

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: WEAK SIGNAL

How low is it?

All Replies
Expert

You might try adding an amplifier to the cable.
New Poster

I have been having trouble with my cable tv freezing and my internet going out for at least 4 months now. I have tried telephone support several times. The last time I was on hold for 2 hours and gave up. Chat told me they would have to send someone out again. 4 techs have already been out with no fix, but I said ok. This time it is still not working. I am charged for each visit by a tech. My cable was frozen completly one time for a day and a half. I have to reset my modem 10 times a day. My friends and family have all switched away from Comcast. I can't believe I am so stupid to think things are going to change. I just really liked it when it use to work. I just can't keep paying for techs to come out and fix nothing and keep paying for cable and internet I am not getting to use. Comcast is by far the worst service department of any company I know. Does anyone know of any other good companies that provide these services in the Houston area?

Thanks,

Regular Visitor

I THINK COMCAST SHOULD PUT A  AMPIFIER ON THE TELEPHONE POLE. NOT ME I PAY FOR GOOD SERVICE

AND I SHOULD GET GOOD SERVICE

Expert

The amplifier is to make up for signal losses within your house, such as those caused by having too many splitters.
Regular Visitor

THE SIGNAL OUTSIDE BEFORE IT COME INTO THE HOUSE IS LOW.
Expert

How low is it?
Regular Visitor

I GOT A NEW TV AND IT HAS A MEATER ON IT AND IT SAID LOW, MID,GOOD AND MY SAID LOW SIGNAL.AND SO I CK THE SIGNAL OUT SIDE AT THE MAIN LINE IN AND IT LOW THERE TO.

BUT  COMCAST SAID PUT AMPLIFIER ON IT.   WILL I HAVE TWO ON IT NOW LITTLE BATTER BUT NOT RIGHT

BUT COMCAST SHOULD FIX IT NOT ME I PAY GOOD MONEY FOR THERE SERVICE SO I THANK I SHOULD GET  GOOD SERVICE.  DO YOU THINK SO TO  ?

Message Edited by mmcheney on 03-27-2009 07:27 PM
Contributor

mmcheney...... If you have Comcast TV an Internet service try the following: 

a.) bring up a browser and go to 192.168.1.100  IP address. This will bring up your modem status information.

b.) check your RF Down Parameter Stream Power level to be no greater than -12 dBmV. If this is like greater than -15 dBmV then one of two things is wrong and need to be fixed:

1.) the wiring from your telephone pole to your home needs to be reinstalled by Comcast using their heavy duty stranding cable that minimizes signal loss from the pole into your home. Many times wiring insulation from telephone pole to homes gets eaten by squirrels and water get into the conductor and can significantly degredate signal loss.

2.) if the signal coming into your home has many splitters, you must understand that each splitter looses -3 dBmV of signal integrity and this aggregates through serial interconnection. If this is the case, then Comcast should re-route all direct room signaling to not degradate any serial more than 2 splitter interconnection.

Hope this helps some Comcast customers Smiley Wink 

Message Edited by CoolHandLuke on 04-14-2009 12:43 PM
New Poster

This Advice really helped, I had a -16dBmv on the power stream, I bought a Motorola Broadband Signal Booster and it brought it down to only 1dBmv

Here is my status after adding the Broadband Signal Amplifier:

Basic Status

Basic LAN

RF Parameters
Downstream
Frequency681 MHzPower1 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio36 dBModulationQAM256
Upstream
Frequency36.400 MHzPower58 dBmV
Upstream Data Rate5120 Ksym/secModulationQAM16

Status
System uptime0 days 00h:35m:28s
Computers detected2
CM StatusOperational
WAN IsolationOFF
Time and DateSun Jan 24 19:12:20 2010

Interface Parameters
Interface Name : LANCABLEMTA
ProvisionedEnabledStateUp
Speed100 MbpsMAC addressxx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

Thanks for the advice there Coolhandluke
Regular Contributor

@tekrhino

With an upstream power level of 58 dBmV I am surprised that it is working at all. 50-55 is marginal. There is a problem signal getting to/from your premises. 

Contributor

I now have weak signal on everything since the outage in my area yesterday and all i am told now is "there is no outage in your area".  2 days without my service - no credit i am sure.  We were just fine until the outage then when the service came back up its absolutely horrid. TV's blip in and out you cannot even watch a channel. Internet is slower than dial up now and the phone is only working part time.  tech suppose to come tomorrow to switch the boxes out is what i am told - i dont get it why is that always the so called solution by your service reps?  THERE WAS AN OUTAGE - AFTER THE SUPPOSED FIX I AM NOW WAY WORSE - I DON'T SEE HOW THAT MEANS MY BOXES ARE NO LONGER ANY GOOD! So Mr tech that was sitting in his truck at top of my street last night what the heck did you do to the pedestels out here from my house?  thats the only thing i can figure he was parked there for during the outage - so something is not right at all.   
Expert

Soulwise2 -- the Comcast forum administrator has been informed.
Contributor

had a tech out Sunday - it was found to be more outage affecting several in my area so finally around 4pm on Sunday it is now fixed yay!