Community Forum

Video/Audio pause drops starting yesterday or today

Regular Contributor

Video/Audio pause drops starting yesterday or today

Today I’ve been seeing what I can only explain as one or two second mini-outages where the video/audio pauses briefly and I lose a second or two of video and audio as if the signal was lost somehow. The signal is not lost though as there is no RS errors reported on my Tivo and there’s no time period with a blank picture. Basically the video/audio freezes briefly and starts up again with about one to 2 seconds of time missing.

I saw this once on Last Week Tonight on HBO 11 PM last night. Today though it was bad. I was watching the hour and a half Star Wars Rebels finale and it was happening every 5 to 10 minutes.

I thought this might be a local issue, but when I posted about it in the Tivo forums, three other people with Xfinity replied that they are seeing the same issue starting today. One is in Chicago, Illinois. One is in Virginia. Not sure where the last one is located. I’m in NJ, so this appears to be a problem with the nationwide channel feed. I don’t know if it’s Tivo only or not (though there haven’t been any updates to Tivo recently).

Anyone else see this recently?

Edit: here’s and example. https://twitter.com/morac/status/970876857376825344?s=21

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Video/Audio pause drops starting yesterday or today

Loss of audio and video happens when the signal for the channel you are trying to watch is too weak or has too much noise. This might be because of a bad Tivo or a problem at Comcast (check https://customer.xfinity.com/, 1-800-Comcast voice response, or the "My Account" app) but is most likely due to a poor connection between the box and Comcast's network.

Troubleshoot by checking all connectors and looking for damaged coax cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power. Also see Tivo's Troubleshooting Digital Signals.

If you can't find the problem, call Comcast at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or chat with them using the TV Support option at https://support.xfinity.com/chat. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have or sign up for their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, about $6/mo) and keep it for at least 60 days. If the trouble is due to anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

For additional information please see Pixelation, video and audio dropouts, One Moment Please S0a00 messages.

Regular Contributor

I didn't so much as lose audio/video as it was like I lost time.  Got a pause and suddenly video/audio skipped ahead and only on that channel as other channels recording at the same time didn't experience this.

My reported signals showed no RS error (corrected or uncorrected) and when I contacted Comcast on Twitter I was told my signals were "great".  Also as I mentioned, I've collaborated reports from about 7 people across the U.S. who saw the same thing at the same time.

There was a TiVo service update released recently which I'm still trying to determine if it's related or not.  All I know is that the audio/video pause skips were very bad on Disney XD last night.   Comedy Central seemed fine.

Regular Contributor

I also had this issues whille watching (recorded) Star Wars Rebels finale on Disney XD channel on Garden State, NJ (08054) system. I'm using Tivo Bolt. Video would freeze for about 4 sec and lose sound. Seem to happen after fast forwarding after commercials. Not sure if this a comcast issue or new Tivo software (RC30). Will see if it happens today

New Poster

TLR - I do not expect it is your setup - rather something to do with Comcast's underlying service. I have the same setup - Tivo and Xfinity - in the North East of the US. And I have the same problem. It shows up for me on CNN. I don't have splitters, just connectors, in the path from the service to the Tivo - and only two of those. The signal strength is 99% and dB value is reported at 39 for the channel that freezes and drops out. It started for me 3 or 4 days ago. I have heard that Comcast is rolling out changes to it's internet service. I don't know if that might have some interaction with the cable service. If some part of the path from the source to the local cable is delivered over the company's internet backbone perhaps it does.
Regular Contributor

I posted on dslreports.com and had someone with a XG2 report the same problem so it’s not tivo related.
Silver Problem Solver

I have been seeing it on TruTV for awhile. I have a regular Comcast/Motorola DCX-3400.

Regular Contributor

I'm seeing it also. Signal strength shows 99% while drops are taking place.