Community Forum

TiVo + Xfinity: Missing HD Channel (V52 Error) 50% of the time on TiVo Bolt, but not on Premiere XL

Frequent Visitor

TiVo + Xfinity: Missing HD Channel (V52 Error) 50% of the time on TiVo Bolt, but not on Premiere XL

Our family has two separate TiVo boxes (Premier XL and Bolt) drawing on the same Xfinity Comcast cable connection. Everything’s been working fine for a while now. So baseball season started and the NBA finals started, so we have been watching more sports. Comcast messed with the sports channels again, so now instead of Fox Sportsnet or Comcast Sportsnet or Comcast Bay Area, it’s NBC Sports Bay Area or something or other and they went and changed the channel #s again - there are now about ten of them, some of which are redundant - to be honest I can’t keep track of all these name changes (they are always looking for new ways to make people love them by messing around with something that everyone had just gotten used to).

The Premier XL has had no issue. The Bolt is not getting the signal for ‘Comcast MSN AOL Time Warner General Electric Fox Sportsnet Bay Area Plus HD Mega 1000 Extreme Great Sports Channel’ or whatever the f*** it is called this year, about half the time. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t - in which case it gets a V52 error. Not getting the HD channel, but am getting the non-HD channel. Except for when I do get the HD channel.

So just to recap - on the Premier XL, no issue I am aware of, for HD or non-HD. On the Bolt, problems about 1/2 the time for HD channel, and no issue with non-HD channel.

I have tried a bunch of things - restarts, resets, unplugging power, accidentally erasing every single program I had saved, going through the guided setup a couple times, powering down for a while, fiddling with the CableCard. I think Xfinity reset the CableCard or something or other when I talked to them. I’m not sure what’s going on - of course the only issue is with the channel playing NBA finals & baseball, literally the only two things I bought cable for, after not having it for 30 years - have little use for the rest of it, but never have any issue with any other channel, either - just the indispensable one, in the middle of NBA finals and the start of baseball season. Every other channel works fine.

Any ideas? What a clusterf***. Xfinity Rep in Swaziland or whatever has made me an appointment with four days wait at 3 in the morning or something. I’m going to talk to TiVo and Xfinity again of course, but maybe someone here knows what’s going on.
Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: TiVo + Xfinity: Missing HD Channel (V52 Error) 50% of the time on TiVo Bolt, but not on Premiere

You do not have the proper account codes on the cablecard. Comcast has great difficulty getting this right. There seems to be only a few people at Comcast who knows how to correctly set the codes, and they do not share that info with anyone. Keep calling the CC support numbet until you reach someone who can set the proper account codes. Good luck, they do not make it easy.

877-405-2298 CC SUPPORT

Gold Problem Solver

Re: TiVo + Xfinity: Missing HD Channel (V52 Error) 50% of the time on TiVo Bolt, but not on Premiere

sealrock wrote: ... it gets a V52 error. ...

It's probably not a Cablecard problem. V52 errors usually mean the signal for the channel you are trying to watch is too weak or has too much noise. This might be because of a problem at Comcast (check https://customer.xfinity.com/, 1-800-Comcast voice response, or the "My Account" app) but is most likely due to a poor connection between the box and Comcast's network. Also see Tivo's Troubleshooting Digital Cable Signals article.

Troubleshoot by checking all connectors and looking for damaged coax cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power.

If you can't find the problem, call them and, if they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/account/service-protection-plan/, about $6/mo). If the trouble is due to anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

For additional information please see Pixelation, video and audio dropouts, One Moment Please S0a00 messages.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks guys, this is very helpful. Will see what I can do with those leads.

Frequent Visitor

Whelp, looks like I might have this solved, at least temporarily. While Xfinity had recommended I go swap out my CableCard, I was trying to avoid going down there. Tivo help ended up having me unplug Coax for 15 seconds then replug. In fact, this was the only thing that helped the first time the channel went out, but I had tried doing this a few times over the last few days (but keeping it unplugged for less than 15 seconds) and it wasn't helping. I wonder if there is something I could add to my line to stop this instability on a more permanent basis. Anyone happen to know?

Gold Problem Solver

sealrock wrote: ... I wonder if there is something I could add to my line ...

As previously stated, you need a service tech to identify and eliminate the cause of the signal problem.

Official Employee

sealrock wrote:

Whelp, looks like I might have this solved, at least temporarily. While Xfinity had recommended I go swap out my CableCard, I was trying to avoid going down there. Tivo help ended up having me unplug Coax for 15 seconds then replug. In fact, this was the only thing that helped the first time the channel went out, but I had tried doing this a few times over the last few days (but keeping it unplugged for less than 15 seconds) and it wasn't helping. I wonder if there is something I could add to my line to stop this instability on a more permanent basis. Anyone happen to know?

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. BruceW has it right.

I have escalated your issue to the right teams so that we can get all of your subscribed channels for you on your TiVo. That team will review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.

New Poster

@ wrote:

sealrock wrote: ... it gets a V52 error. ...

It's probably not a Cablecard problem. V52 errors usually mean the signal for the channel you are trying to watch is too weak or has too much noise.

+1.  I had the V52 error on about a dozen channels.  The signal was weak.  Through the years, the cable had been split and spliced several times, and the signal deteriorated.  I was lucky that the original installation had an A and B cable, and the B still has an adequate signal.  I was told that if I ever wanted to switch my internet to cable, that I would need to fish a new coax through the building.