Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Suddenly, no HDMI signal

New Poster

Suddenly, no HDMI signal

Quick question.  Last night I was watching TV, and went to bed.  This morning when I get up, my cable box will no longer receive a signal.  I have a box that has an HDMI hook up (had to go back to service center to get because they didn't bring me one when asked), and I've had no issues until now.  It just won't receive a signal, my TV just won't play anything.  I've hooked it up through all 3 of my HDMI ports on my TV, and none of them work.  I've used two different HDMI cables and it's made no difference.  I also have both my Xbox360 and PS3 hooked up thru HDMI, and they both work fine in all 3 ports. 

Could my box have somehow fried overnight when it wasn't on?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Suddenly, no HDMI signal

unplug the box and plug it back in.  also try using component cables, also try to take one of the other hdmi cables you have and swap that out to see if that does anything.

New Poster

I had exactly the same problem at exactly the same time on 2 of my 3 HD boxes with HDMI.  Went to the local Sellersville, PA service center looking for guidance or an exchange box.  Nothing in stock.  Did have the pleasure of speaking to the Dominican customer service team which was an experience.  Comcast eventually shipped me two of the new RNG110 boxes.  That means no HD for 6 days.  While talking to the activation guys that informed me another software update was sent late Wednesday.  He was good enough to stay on the line and let me hook up the "broken box".  A quick reset and the mysterious failure was cured!  I'd say that the software sent on Saturday morning was flawed and turned off our boxes.  The fix was issued on Wednesday so try a reset today and see if you're back in business.

New Poster

Hey Alex, do you recall how you reset the box?

Few weeks ago, my HDMI signal went off suddenly after working just fine for 2 years. The technician came and came to a conclusion that my HDMI receiver on my TV (Olevia VCF32) was dead. He reconnect my DVR box (Moto 6412 III) to my TV through composite input by which i have compromised lower resolution for at least two weeks until today I found out my HDMI receiver on my TV is totally fine when I connected my laptop with my TV thru HDMI! However, the DVR box is still not talking to my TV thru HDMI. I've tried component and composite, they both work fine. 

Given that the technician did not solve my problem last time, i've decided to try it myself. So if you or anyone have solved this issue, could anyone share how? 

Silver Problem Solver

i would unplug the box and then plug it back in.  Also your signal is only broadcast in 1080i so your picture should not look different with good component cables vs hdmi. 

New Poster

It's ridiculous to think that a paying customer should even have to consider swapping out HDMI and moving to component.  I agree the picture quality should be similar however most of us have wall mounted flat screens that can be difficult to say the least in swapping cables.  The real question is why does Comcast not have HDMI boxes sitting on the shelf?  The probability of an HDMI cable failing after working for years is remote.  The fact that multiple sets experienced the same exact problem at exactly the same time defies logic, although Comcast was adamant that the boxes had failed.  I did receive word from the local customer service center that a software push had occurred and it inadvertently had disabled the outputs (you would experience the same situation if you stopped paying the bill).  A revised software set was later distributed that fixed the problem and my old boxes are working perfectly. 

Contributor

I just added HD to my account, recieved the new box, a Cisco RNG150, and get a 'no signal' message.  Contacted Comcast, they had me unplug the box and sent something to the box, then asked me to plug the box back in.  Told me to wait about 20 minutes.  Its been about 10, but I see nothing changing, no lights on or blinking.  Maybe I should make some sort of sacrifice as well?

Regular Visitor

TattooPanda wrote:

Quick question.  Last night I was watching TV, and went to bed.  This morning when I get up, my cable box will no longer receive a signal.  I have a box that has an HDMI hook up (had to go back to service center to get because they didn't bring me one when asked), and I've had no issues until now.  It just won't receive a signal, my TV just won't play anything.  I've hooked it up through all 3 of my HDMI ports on my TV, and none of them work.  I've used two different HDMI cables and it's made no difference.  I also have both my Xbox360 and PS3 hooked up thru HDMI, and they both work fine in all 3 ports. 

Could my box have somehow fried overnight when it wasn't on?

Expert

Unplug both the TV and the cable box from the AC power for two minutes.  Check the HDMI cable is firm in the connectors.  Plug in the TV first, then  a minute later plug in the cable box, and give it 10 minutes or so to load everything and test it.

Regular Visitor

I have a similar problem, and have had for several months.  Comcast helpline wasn't helpful.

Everything has been turned off ond on multiple times, in different orders, but no change.

Nothing wrong with the TV, as it plays HDMI from my laptop, but will not take HDMI from the cable box.

I've reverted to component video, which is ok, but the sound seems worse (background buzzing) and there is a 'refresh line' that slowly moves up the picture.

Very frustrating.

Regular Visitor

Having kind of the same problem, cable box is connected to a receaver and the hdmi just looses signal, unplug the hdmi cable and reconnect it and it works.

This is the 2nd receaver and it does the same thing so it's not an issue with the receaver.

Going to try a new HDMI cable today and see if that helps if not i'll prob. have to get the cable box exchanged.

New Poster

Had the same thing happen last night, after unplugging the tv and cable box, waiting and plugging it back in, no change.

Called Comcast, got through quickly, she had me up and running in about a minute. 

On the TV original remote (not the comcast remote) press the input button, scroll dowm and select HDMI1 button...immediately had cable back.

Frequent Visitor

This problem seems to be regionally. I have the same issue in Voorhees, NJ. The Ports on my old DVR fried and I went to the Comcast Service Center to get a new one. The HDMI on all (3) TV ports will not accept the DVR signal. The TV HDMI ports are fine and work with the DVD, VCR, and Receiver.

I am pulling my hair out trying to make it work. This has nothing to do with the proper inputs. I wish it was that easy.

Anybody find a Technical fix?

Tags (3)
New Poster

had the same issue today.  changed out my hdmi cable, rebooted my dvr and it works now.  cost me 14 bucks for a new hdmi cable, but i'd say it's worth it to have my signal back.

Contributor

I also have had this problem.  Tech support told me to unplug the box.  One time, by accident, I pulled out the HDMI cable and when I put it back in the box, I had picture and sound again.  Bottom line: Before you unplug the box (and loose your program guide) try unplugging the HDMI cable. 

Now, this solution works most of the time.  I also hooked up Red-Green-Blue cables as a back up.  I go over to them, change channels a few times, and then the HDMI works.

New Poster

There can be many causes of the issue. There is a transmitter, a cable, and a receiver. Any one of these can go bad.

1. The signal transmitter in the cable box is bad or not operating correctly. This is an electronics problem. Sometimes rebooting the machine can fix this, but it can also wear out. A swap of box might be needed.

2. The HDMI cable connection is bad. Meaning a loose fitting HDMI cable, cable that is not up to spec, or the cable connection to the main board inside the unit may be loose due to strain on the external cable connection causing some sort of electrical / mechanical problem. Removing and reinserting the cable might temporarily fix the issue, but it is not a long term solution. Probably need a new box or cable. 

3. The cable is bad. The external endpoints can get worn or busted due to stress or strain, but unless you have a cat that is nawing on the cable itself, the wires inside don't suddenly go bad. Consider a new cable. Also, cables that have 'dirty' ends due to electrical transmission or several insertions (small fine coating of oxide or scratched gold contacts) can cause intermittent problems. 

4. You have a long or poorly conducting cable. Consider an HDMI signal boost (only for very long runs) or swap out the cable as a test. Call Comcast and make them come out with a signal tester at the end of the line going the to the TV.

5. Your TV connection is poor or wiggly due to cable strain being bent, etc.  Same as for the box. Excessive strain on the cable can pull on the TV connector and crack solder joints to the main board inside the TV. New TV in that case! Unless you can find a reputable source to come fix your TV. But, usually these things are getting more difficult to fix, and usually expensive. And its hard to prove because of intermittent signals. HDMI signals are digital. On, or off. No old TV snow like in the past to tell you when you were tuning a channel that you were 'getting close'. Nope.

6. TV receiver (electronics) are broken or are not up to spec. This can happen too over time. Its called reliability. Every piece of electronics you buy are designed to last only a certain amount of time. You might get lucky and have something last forever, but that is pure statistical luck.