Community Forum

Suddenly, No DD5.1 Surround Sound with Motorola DCH3416, Only PCM

Frequent Visitor

Suddenly, No DD5.1 Surround Sound with Motorola DCH3416, Only PCM

Greetings.

As of yesterday, May 13, after several years of trouble-free service, and with absolutely no changes to my home entertainment system, my Motorola DCH3416 STB stopped recognizing (and passing along to my Sony tv) the DD5.1 signal; all I seem to be getting now on surround sound broadcasts is 2-channel PCM sound.

To experiment, I swapped out the DCH3416 and replaced it with a non-dvr Pace RNG110 that was being used in another room. The RNG110 properly receives and passes along the DD5.1 signal. Swapping them back again, the DCH3416 failed once more to receive the DD5.1 audio, and provided only 2-channel PCM. I can only conclude that something recently has changed within the DCH3416 hardware, perhaps via a recently pushed firmware update (?).

For now I will use the RNG110 as my main STB, but I would like dvr capability.  Any ideas about why the DCH3416 suddenly stopped acquiring/passing along surround sound audio? Time to upgrade my DCH3416 to a more recent STB that won't choke on a DD5.1 signal?

Thanks for your advice.

Official Employee

Re: Suddenly, No DD5.1 Surround Sound with Motorola DCH3416, Only PCM

ggomes wrote:

Greetings.

As of yesterday, May 13, after several years of trouble-free service, and with absolutely no changes to my home entertainment system, my Motorola DCH3416 STB stopped recognizing (and passing along to my Sony tv) the DD5.1 signal; all I seem to be getting now on surround sound broadcasts is 2-channel PCM sound.

To experiment, I swapped out the DCH3416 and replaced it with a non-dvr Pace RNG110 that was being used in another room. The RNG110 properly receives and passes along the DD5.1 signal. Swapping them back again, the DCH3416 failed once more to receive the DD5.1 audio, and provided only 2-channel PCM. I can only conclude that something recently has changed within the DCH3416 hardware, perhaps via a recently pushed firmware update (?).

For now I will use the RNG110 as my main STB, but I would like dvr capability.  Any ideas about why the DCH3416 suddenly stopped acquiring/passing along surround sound audio? Time to upgrade my DCH3416 to a more recent STB that won't choke on a DD5.1 signal?

Thanks for your advice.

Apologies. Below is something to try...

Access the User Settings Menu

1. To access the User Settings Menu, power On your TV and power Off the box.

2. Press the Menu button on either your remote or the box front panel to call up the on-screen menu. You may use either the front panel or remote to navigate the menu.

3. Press the up-down arrow buttons to select the setting you wish to change. Press the right-left arrow buttons to select an option for that setting. To exit the setting and move to another setting, use the up-down arrow buttons.

On this box type, there should be an option for Additional HDMI settings. Highlight that and Press OK. Arrow down to Audio Output and select Pass Through.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your answer. My box filpped to PCM from DD 5.1 all by itself on Wednesday, and I've talked to CSR's, and Techs, until I'm blue in the face, to no avail... A tech came to the house yesterday, and said he didn't know what the problem was, because Comcast never trains people about audio...I talked to his boss on the phone while he was here, and he knew nothing...The pass through option totally fixed my problem...I'm back in 5.1 heaven...These people are idiots who don't know how their own systems work...

Frequent Visitor

Yes, kudos to ComcastTeds for his suggestion to select the "pass through" option  in the advanced audio settings. That appears to have solved the issue for me, too. While it is somewhat comforting to know that I was not alone in having my DD5.1 sound suddenly downgraded to PCM on surround sound channels, it would be interesting to know exactly "why?" this happened. It must have been related to a firmware "update" and the law of unintended consequences. Again, "Thanks," ComcastTeds.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue as well. I didn't notice it until the 15th.

I tried going through all the Menus but I don't see any options for HDMI at all. Is the "Additional HDMI settings" menu under the Audio Setup?

I believe I did get some kind of update recently because I also just noticed the following:

1) additional menu/settings now when turning on Closed Caption

2) pressing the Play button now pauses instead of just showing the status of the recorded show

Frequent Visitor

Follow the steps Comcast Ted described above...Works like a charm...

Frequent Visitor

@ccmf69 - I can't even find where the Additional HDMI Settings are.

It's not in the regular "Setup" menu. Under "Audio Setup", I only have the following options:

Default Audio Track

Descriptive Video Service

Audio Output (set to Advanced; don't see any option for HDMI pass through if it's supposed to be here)

Compression (set to None)

Stereo Output (set to Matrix)

Optimal Stereo

When I went to the Cablebox Setup menu, it says my firmware version is 86.46.

Official Employee

bObaBaLLa wrote:

It's not in the regular "Setup" menu. Under "Audio Setup", I only have the following options:

Default Audio Track

Audio Output (set to Advanced; don't see any option for HDMI pass through if it's supposed to be here)

Optimal Stereo

2. Press the Menu button on either your remote or the box front panel to call up the on-screen menu. You may use either the front panel or remote to navigate the menu.

3. Press the up-down arrow buttons to select the setting you wish to change. Press the right-left arrow buttons to select an option for that setting. To exit the setting and move to another setting, use the up-down arrow buttons.

On this box type, there should be an option for Additional HDMI settings. Highlight that and Press OK. Arrow down to Audio Output and select Pass Through.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for this fix. I spent most of last evening trying to figure out what was wrong. Initially thought it was my receiver, but Dolby digital was working on other sources. This fix was a little difficult to find. Could yo post it some where others can find easily.
Official Employee

Nathelie wrote:
Thanks for this fix. I spent most of last evening trying to figure out what was wrong. Initially thought it was my receiver, but Dolby digital was working on other sources. This fix was a little difficult to find. Could yo post it some where others can find easily.

Yes. I just floated this topic to the pinned section so it should be easier for others to spot. 

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for bolding the part that I missed in your original instructions. I didn't realize there was a menu you can access when the cablebox is off. Changing the setting to "Pass Through" worked. Thanks!

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds wrote:

bObaBaLLa wrote:

Default Audio Track

Optimal Stereo

Is this issue only for connected TVs via HDMI or for Optical Out as well?

I had the DCX3400 set to L-PCM audio. After I changed it to Pass Through, I had to increase the volume on my Samsung Plasma (PN43F4500 from 10 up to 20+ for the same sound level. But changing the box back to L-PCM, I can have the TV at lower levels.

But I havent checked yet if it makes any difference with the Optical Toslink cable I have goinv from the DCX to my surround processor.

Regular Visitor

Thanks, worked like a charm.  I remember having to do the same thing quite a while ago.  It amazes me how poorly trained the techs that answer the phone are. They seem to barely know the difference between video and audio let alone digital, Dolby 5.1, PCM and stereo.  Of course in this particular case I would have to blame management for not keeping everyone informed.  Also my cable bill is getting so high that I'll probably end up switching to Direct TV.

Contributor

Just a thought, but what happens if you unplug the Comcast box, let it sit for 90 seconds or so, and then plug it back in?  In my experience, this will reset a "flipped bit" issue like the one you described.  If it worked from the beginning and "went bad" for an unknown reason, it is most likely due to a power fluctuation/static from the cable or your line input from the house power.

New Poster

For some reason "Additional HDMI Settings" is greyed out on the menu.  Any additional suggestions?

New Poster

Thank you! I had the same problem with recent loss of 5-channel reception on my receiver. Finding the menu with the cable box off and selecting "pass through" worked for me! Thanks again!

New Poster

Had this issue with the Motorola RNG-200N box as well. The solution from ComsastTeds worked, however still a slight drawback. I have an Apple TV (optical audio) along with the Comcast box both using Toslink optical into the HDTV for the digital pass through. It works great, but when I power everything off then turn the cable box back on, the audio is scrambled as if were picking up from both devices. If I switch the TV from HDMI cable to Apple TV input, then back to cable input, then the digital audio works properly on the cable box. Curious as to why?

Frequent Visitor

I gave up on Comcast...I stream everything now...