Community Forum

Sound not synced with video

New Poster

Sound not synced with video

I just purchased a brand new 120mhz LED 46" Samsung HD TV:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46%22+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+HDTV/4834389.p?id=12185401...

I upgraded my service to HD and picked up a brand new HD cable box from a Comcast center.

The picture is amazing, but on some channels the audio is out of sync with the video.  The two channels I notice most are ESPN and AMC.  Sometimes it's hardly noticeable, but other times its 1-2 seconds off.  I have called Comcast support a few times now, and each time they do the same signal refresh and that does not fix the problem.  They sent a tech to my house, and that was a giant waste of time.  He didn't do anything, just walked in and said "There's nothing I can do." and then left.  He didn't even have another cable box to swap out.

I have tried a high end Monster HDMI cable (in place of the one comcast gave me) from the cable box to the TV, but this does not fix the issue.  I have upgraded the firmware on my TV to the latest release, and that does not fix the issue.

A weird observation - I was watching a movie (US Marshals) on AMC HD tonight and there wasn't much of a delay at all, if any.  I switched to another channel (TBS HD) and watched that station for a few minutes.  There is never any delay on this station.  I switched back to AMC HD channel, and the delay was now 1-2 seconds.

I don't know what's going on but this is ridiculous.  I believe it's a cable service issue and whether that is something that Comcast needs to fix or if the problem is coming straight from the broadcasting channels in question (ESPN HD & AMC HD) but this problem needs to be fixed.

What are the steps I can take to fix this?  The techs on the phones don't seem to know how to do anything other than refresh a signal.  Are there higher tier techs that I can work with to resolve this?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Sound not synced with video

Their might be a option in your TV's firmware called 'lip syncing.' I would set that to default, however, it can be used to match the sound to video. Edit: The comment below myn is really good to know.. Thanks
Silver Problem Solver

this is normally a network issue, but if you are hooked up hdmi which I will guess you are, try if you can to switch to component cables and see if the issue goes away.  If it does there is an issue with the hdmi port.  Also what box do you have.

New Poster

I tried using my box with AV cables and the delay was still there.  I also tried plugging the coax directly into my TV, but after doing that I was only able to see a couple basic channels (non HD) so I couldn't really test anything out by doing this.

I have the Xfinity RNG110.

New Poster

Here's a suggestion to try.  If you haven't done so, try the cable box remote's Audio setup page to change to a different setting.  Try each one to choose the best.  Get there by clicking the set-top box remote's menu button TWICE and then select Setup and then Audio settings.

If this fails, turn on a channel where you have a good audio and then turn off the set-top box, leaving the TV ON.  Using the cable remote, select Cable then press Guide and you will see a settings menu.  Nothing audio is there but you should be sure that the cable box is set to the best HDMI/component setting for your TV.

Choose 1080i if that is your TV's scanning rate capability. Then hit power on the remote to check the channels for the audio delay problem. Try setting it to "Pass through" if the symptoms continue.

You should check your TV's info settings to verify the cable box's signal scanning rate is the one you need for your TV - 1080i or 720.

Hope that helps.

New Poster

I have the same problem with my TV. It's primarily on ESPN HD (not on ESPN 2 or ESPN in standard def). A few other channels have problems but the audio on ESPN HD is consistently off.

I have my box hooked up through HDMI to the TV and the audio from the box goes to a 5.1 receiver. Most channels are fine and DVDs/Blu Ray/Netflix streaming looks fine.

Any ideas how to fix this annoyance?

Frequent Visitor

I have same problem. A tech was just here bad couldn't do anything.
This sounds outrageous that COMCAST charges us for service and
then can't deliver. The tech just packed up his gear said "Sorry about
that and left."
New Poster

Same problem here and also with a new 2013 Samsung 120mHz LED.   Mine happens on all stations.  It starts out fine and then after 45 minutes it is off by 2 seconds.    This does not happen with 2011 Samsung 120mHz LED.   

Comcast has been out twice.  Changed box and cable.  Nothing.

If I turn the set off and then back on, it goes away.   Thats my work around.

New Poster

I've seen similar issues but hadn't narrowed it down to being ESPN HD, but now that I think about it, that could be the case.

The other odd problem I'm seeing is that some channels have no sound when I change to them.  Usually, the sound comes in 1-2 seconds after the channel change but with a few, it never comes.  I have to turn the TV off/on or switch it to a different input then back to HDMI to get the sound.

Anyone else seen this?  Any solution?

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem with NBC not having Audio/Video Sync on all TVS.  A couple of weeks ago spent one hour to get thru to "customer service" thats an oxymoran when it comes to Comcast!!!

They sent out tech and they refreshed and looked over the system and said no problem.  I told him I emailed local NBC station and they said that Comcast Engineers will have to contact their engineers to address problem.  The comcast tech #5230 Ryan gave me the beaches supervisor Eric Nearon's number and said I should get a call from him, he is the only one that can straighten this out.  I called twice to Eric and staying in line with lack of customer service at Comcast he has not returned my calls.  Shame on Eric and his superiors for not holding anyone in the company accountable.

Mark

New Poster

I've had 4 service calls, replaced boxed and still same audio sync problem on 2 of three terminal boxes.  DVR's appear to be ok, some sync issues on recorded programming.

The techs have acknoledged that it is a know issue and see it on all installs, some worse then others.

They claim they have opened a national service ticket, I'll believe it when I see it.

All outlets in my have have a strong spec signal, based on the fact that one box seems to work ok, I speculate thatr it has to do with the actual distance from the DVR it is linked to.  

The bottom line is that the X1 system sucks and they can't fix it.  Wait till they go online with the no box version in a couple of months.  Dish network, here I come.

New Poster

I've had them out 4 times, superviser said same thing, was going to open national ticket.

never did.  If it is not fixed in one more week, I'm gone.

Comcast has the worst tech support and service in the industry.  To bad they have a monopoly in most areas.

New Poster

I too am experiencing NBC and a few other HD channels with the audio out of sync. I bought a nw HD tv, and all settings are where they should be for HDMI, used an HDMI cable but it seems to be more in the HD channels. Is there a fix for this?

New Poster

I have the same problem. All channels, all the time. I have called them 3 times, and 2 of those times I think I was actually talking to somebody in India. They want to charge me to send a tech out to fix their crappy equipment. I told them to forget it, with AT&T and Dish Network both available now, I figure I'll just give one of them a try.

New Poster

I have this problem too! Although only really notice it with the main tv. We have had multiple people out, they can never find the problem. Just last week the gave us a new box, we installed that and still the same problem. They even told us to unhook the cable from the box and the rehook it, cause vibrations in the ground might be the problem, well that didn't work. Our contact we had has disappeared, no more phone calls or emails available for a contact.if someone knows what's going on I would like to know. Tired of paying $170 a month for this!
New Poster

I'm having the same problems with my vizio I called numerous times and no one can help or figure it out. I'm not going to pay for services I can't even use. I'm very dissatisfied with comcast and their neglect to acknowledge the problem we are all having.
New Poster

Update to my last post I recently had my dvr option taken away due to another billing error on comcast's behalf and I had no more audio issuea needless to say their issues sound like its issues with their dvr services. So comcast I hope you read this an stop saying ahhhh I don't know and look into you dvr
New Poster

I don't have a DVR and I have this issue with my brand new 70 inch Visio, didn't have it with my old toshiba beater. It starts out fine but ones you leave it on any channel for about 45 mins it will lose sync. If I turn the channel and then go back it fixes it, but it is not a very cool fix for having a brand new tv. Hope there is a real fix soon
New Poster

New Poster

Looks like the link may not work correctly

1 turn on TV
2 turn OFF cable box
3 press menu on xfinity remote
4 go to additional hdmi settings
5 go to audio output
6 change to L PCM

There is also manual lip sync settings if you need there
New Poster

I tried the info given but when I turn off the Comcast box(press the power button) and then press menu on the Comcast remote the screen just shows black and I've never gotten any options to change the audio option............something I'm not doing????

Contributor

worked for me!

Frequent Visitor

Had the same problem today with picture and sound not in sync.

Turned off tv and box, then turned them back on - and - back to the way it should be.  

New Poster

We are having the out of sync audio/visual problem on and off, twice tonight already but do not have a DVR.  Very frustrating!

New Poster

I followed the directioms about powering off your cable box. And it worked
Remember to keep the tv on, turn your cable box off.on your cable remote press cable button then press the menu button. Your tv should come back on with a blue menu on the left hand side where you can changet your audoor settings
New Poster

I was having this problem on one channel, fox 31 kdvr denver, this seemed to fix it, have not checked all the other stations yet

New Poster

I had the same problem. All I had to do was turn my audio source off (blu ray player) and problem was solved.

New Poster

I had the same problem. All I had to do was turn my audio source off (blu ray player) and problem was solved.

New Poster

Sounds settings on the cable box worked for me:

Hit menu twice

Scroll up to set-up

Scroll to audio

Default audio track - english

Descriptive service - off

Audio output - Advanced

Compression - light

Hope that works for you!

New Poster