Community Forum

Software/Firmware on my set top boxes

Expert

Software/Firmware on my set top boxes

Hello,

This is intended for Comcast employees. I tried calling but I just keep getting disconnected. Can someone please reinstall/reflash the software/firmware on my cable boxes, especially the one tittled TV 1 on the account. TV 1 just keeps refusing to load the GUI 70% of the time and stays on the channel it is currently at and does nothing until I reboot the box. That one is the one I really need done. Then 2 of my boxes refuse to load iTV with code ETV-1000. Like I said, people on the phone have suggested they would work on the software and firmware on all of the boxes, but before I can even authorize them to do it, I get disconnected. Can someone from Comcast please do this? When this software acts up, it gets really aggravating when rebooting it and waiting more than 6hrs. doesn't fix it.

Official Employee

Re: Software/Firmware on my set top boxes

jweaver0312 wrote:

Hello,

This is intended for Comcast employees. I tried calling but I just keep getting disconnected. Can someone please reinstall/reflash the software/firmware on my cable boxes, especially the one tittled TV 1 on the account. TV 1 just keeps refusing to load the GUI 70% of the time and stays on the channel it is currently at and does nothing until I reboot the box. That one is the one I really need done. Then 2 of my boxes refuse to load iTV with code ETV-1000. Like I said, people on the phone have suggested they would work on the software and firmware on all of the boxes, but before I can even authorize them to do it, I get disconnected. Can someone from Comcast please do this? When this software acts up, it gets really aggravating when rebooting it and waiting more than 6hrs. doesn't fix it.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I don't think that this is a firmware or software issue.

The ETV-1000 error is related to the Interactive TV features loading on your cable box; Caller ID to the TV specifically in this case. This error message sometimes appears after you restart your cable box, but the caller ID feature should be active about 24 hours after the restart.

I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

Expert

Just wanted to update this. The ETV-1000 issue is gone but on the boxes that had it still won't load caller id. TV 1 is still having the issue where the GUI won't even load most of the time in which it becomes unable to change the channel or even go on the guide at all until I restart the box. TV 1 is the only box that does it often while the others do that occasionally.
Admin1

Hi jweaver0312 -- My recommendation on this to have refresh HITS done to each box. I can have a hit sent to each one. It does interrupt your service for a bit so I'd need to know when a good time to do that would be. 

Expert

Just a question, what do the "refresh HITS" do? Is it almost the same as unplugging the boxes and plugging them back in?
Admin1

It refreshes data and entitlements. Essentially it re-syncs/updates your boxes to our service network so that they function properly. It's the first step we do to fix issues like this. If it doesn't work, then you know a larger issue is present. 

Expert

What's the latest time it can be done tonight and/or the earliest it can be done tomorrow morning? I'm trying to have it done while no one is really watching it.
Admin1

The latest time I'd be able to do this is 5:30pm your time. Earliest is 9am tomorrow. 

Expert

If you can do it as soon as you can, that would be great.
Admin1

I can have that done right now if that works for you. 

Expert

Sure. Go right ahead.
Admin1

Done. Hits sent to each box. See if that helped at all when you have a chance. If it didn't, then the next steps would be to either exchange the boxes or have a tech come out to look for any signal distortion that could be causing these issues. 

Expert

Are the boxes supposed to reset at all?
Admin1

Yes. They should act the same way as the manual restarts you've performed on them. 

Expert

I just wanted to let you know that so far none of them have restarted at all.
Admin1

Thanks for the update. I tried a different HIT. Can you see if they do anything now? 

Expert

Still nothing.
Admin1

If they're doing nothing then there's a communication error. Communication error indicates a signal error which you would need a tech to resolve. 

Expert

This might help narrow down where the signal error is coming from. A supervisor that was at my house a few months ago with a regular technician and they had the meter up to the tap. It was giving errors there but no where else. They put in a work order to have the whole 2-port #8 tap replaced. They tried doing it themselves but it was stuck. It was never done. A maintenance tech did come out for about 30 seconds and literally told me that he refused to replace it because it was really stuck. Is it possible for someone to try again at the order for the 2-port #8 tap replacement and see how it works then? I don't know the exact codes it was giving because it was a while.
Admin1

Yes that is possible. I'll speak with Tech Ops about getting that scheduled. 

Expert

Ok. Keep me updated.
Admin1

Tech Ops wants to know when a good time to come do this would be. They're requesting that you be present for this. What days/times work best for you? 

Expert

On average, how long do you think it should take to replace the tap?
Admin1

That I'm not sure of. I don't want to set any kind of unrealistic expectation on that as time will depend on the amount of work that needs to be done. 

Expert

Ok. Do they do any of this kind of work on a weekend?
Admin1

Yes they do. 

Expert

Are there any openings for tomorrow the 31st and if so what is the earliest?
Expert

What is the first weekend that is open to do this?
Expert

I'm only home on weekends mostly and the sooner the better.
Expert

Is it able to be done Saturday January 7th, 2016 at the earliest time you guys have available for that day?
Admin1

Yes I can have someone there on Saturday 1/7. I've book it for right away in the morning. 

Expert

Thank you. Do you know what time that is on thy day so I know when to expect their arrival?
Admin1

Yes. I'll have to PM that to you. 

Expert

Sorry to have not replied I’m a while but the tech visit fixed nothing ultimately. My boxes are still freezing in the form of the GUI becoming unusable until I either unplug the box and plug it back in or after 5 minutes. Someone I was speaking to said it could possibly be a software update since it seems to get worse and worse after someone noticed the software versions have changed here and there.
Official Employee

Hi, jweaver0312. I'd recommend we get another technician out to investigate the ongoing issue with your cable service. Can you send me a private message with your availability so I can help get an appointment scheduled for you?

Expert

I actually had a tech that I know personally that lives a few minutes away from me, he was off today but he did decide and check levels and run diagnostics and he saw no problems in anything that’s coming in or going back out to you guys. He said it can’t be a box issue because all of them are doing it, he said if one was doing it then it could be the box, but he came to the idea as over the phone saying a possible software issue. He knew the technology a bit more saying it’s possible the Linux kernel hasn’t really been updated as it should be to fully handle some of these newer software upgrades to the legacy boxes too well or to even just optimize how the boxes operate to speed up the process.
Official Employee

Would you be interested in upgrading to X1? You can swap your boxes out at any local XFINITY service center for up to date equipment.

Expert

No. I had X1 and hated every moment of it. Anything else?
Expert

Any other ideas? All replacing boxes does is temporarily fixes it until it updates itself.
Expert

And also, anyone who comes out can also confirm that there is no communication problem nor a signal problem anywhere between you guys and my boxes which only sometimes they decide to replace a single box to see it still happens or they don’t replace anything since they all say there’s no problem coming through the lines.
Official Employee

@jweaver0312 -  Overall RF signal diagnostic is good for your residence; however, there is a high amount of timeouts for the past 3 days. I checked your neighborhood and there are several maintenance orders pending. If you want to get an updated software, you can unplug boxes from the power and leave them unplugged for at least 6-8 hours. I know it sounds a little weird but I used to work with Legacy boxes a lot and this one of the good and easy tricks. 

I also sent you a private message asking for the best phone number so I can escalate xFi issue. Could you please reply back when you will have a minute? 

Expert

I did try that about a month ago as per a prior suggestion to do that every now and then and then it worked for a couple of days and then it went right back to where it was. When I get a quick chance later I’ll reply to that private message. If you could keep me updated on those maintenance orders of when they get completed that would be appreciated.
Official Employee

I did try that about a month ago as per a prior suggestion to do that every now and then and then it worked for a couple of days and then it went right back to where it was. When I get a quick chance later I’ll reply to that private message. If you could keep me updated on those maintenance orders of when they get completed that would be appreciated.

jweaver0312, sure thing. It looks like another order was create to address additional issues at the node. The node is a little healthier than before, but not at 100% yet. 

Expert

I was just wondering if the node is at 100% just yet? The boxes also did the same thing today as well.
Official Employee

@jweaver0312 - There are no current signal issues with the node itself. I suggest to get a tech visit and check the inside/outside wiring since the last visit a long time ago. 

Expert

The last time a tech checked my signals was a few months ago when the account was flagged for noise for detecting an issue and then that tech said everything is perfect inside. I even asked that tech about the issue with the boxes and he said that the boxes rarely go bad and he said since obviously replacing boxes doesn’t fix it, he got puzzled by the end. Nothing has ever changed wiring wise inside where the only thing that ever happened was replacing older, beat up looking cable with never lines.
Official Employee

@jweaver0312 -The problem is that I cannot see the signals for each TV outlet because boxes communicate just one way. By checking the signals coming from the modem - there are no issues. However, people around you do have some issues with RF signals so it could be something with the tap. Also, Legacy boxes are not getting weekly updates as X1 ones do. They can have an outdated firmware but work fine. You have 4 boxes on the account, are all of them affected?  

Expert

Yes. All the boxes are affected. As I said it will happen at random. For example, Box1 freezes up where I can’t change channels or open the guide or menu but the channel it is currently on still works and picture and audio still come through. Then Box2 does the same thing at another random point and so on. When that one tech was here before, he physiacally hooked up his meter to the lines each box was one and physically went into the status of each box itself where the box displays the levels for Tuner, FDC, RDC and SNR and they all checked out good which gave him his conclusion that everything was perfect signal and wiring wise, and so on with what he said about the boxes himself. The only conclusion he could come up with is Firmware. However, I’ve noticed on the account they are registered as RNG150 when they are all the non-X1 RNG150N boxes. I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I know before I had boxes swapped out in the past it did show in the past before switching out boxes RNG150N.
Official Employee

@jweaver0312 - The RNG150 boxes can be used for Legacy or X1 firmware. If box freezes and stops responding - could be an issue with the Upstream level. I can try to initialize all boxes, it's kind of like a factory reset but there is no way to manually request a firmware update. 

Expert

I guess you can try doing that whenever you are ready to do it to all the boxes. As I have said should the account be reflecting these boxes as RNG150N or RNG150? The account reflects RNG150 but these boxes are physically RNG150N