Community Forum

Signal drop

Regular Visitor

Signal drop

So I have a weird question. Our living room and bathroom and seperated by one wall. Meaning the cable box/tv are back up against he wall that the bathroom electrical is on. When we go to the bathroom and run a hair dryer, a water floss pick, or anythign in the electrical outlets the signal in the living room gets distorted to the cable box and eventually just cuts it out completly. It is instant as soon as it gets powered on signal gets cut. I know it is cross talk somewhere just do not know where to even start. Any ideas? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Signal drop

The 60Hz from electrical noise wouldn't cause tiling on your cable since it is far lower than the operating frequencies the coax is using.  I would toss a voltmeter on the outlet that the box is plugged into and turn on some items in your bathroom to see if you are running into a possible under-voltage situation.  It also wouldn't hurt to put a socket tester in to see if there are any obvious wiring problems.  

Regular Visitor

I thought about just replacing all the sockets to be sure and go from there. Will try what was adviced.

Expert

@Reefboi16 wrote:

So I have a weird question. Our living room and bathroom and separated by one wall. Meaning the cable box/tv are back up against he wall that the bathroom electrical is on. When we go to the bathroom and run a hair dryer, a water floss pick, or anything in the electrical outlets the signal in the living room gets distorted to the cable box and eventually just cuts it out completely. It is instant as soon as it gets powered on signal gets cut. I know it is cross talk somewhere just do not know where to even start. Any ideas? 

Having the cable-box located with in a few feet from where you use the hair-drier on the opposite  side of wall can indeed cause RF interference. It also might not help if the electrical circuit from bathroom and living room are on the same breaker.

A test that will cost you nothing would be to just plug the hair-drier into a different outlet (bedroom ?) and see if the interference disappears.

I might help to move the cable-box farther down the wall (living-room) from Hair-drier in the bathroom. Having the cable-box farther away (possibly  a foot or two away from the wall too) may be enough.