Community Forum

Should all wall outlets in the apartment work to connect to Comcast services?

New Poster

Should all wall outlets in the apartment work to connect to Comcast services?

There are at least 5 coaxial wall outlets in my apartment. For some reasons, only one of them has signal from Comcast, across the room from my TV. When I contact customer service, I was told that the other outlets were not for Comcast.

But, there are no other cable company providing service to my apartment !!!!!!

So, I have two questions.

1. Should all outlets work? Note that my plan allows only one connection.

2. To activate a different outlet, should the expense be my responsibility? I didn't get to choose when I place the order.

Thank you

Valued Contributor

Re: Should all wall outlets in the apartment work to connect to Comcast services?

Only one was activated because that was probably on your work order, to have the option to use the cable in the other rooms, you would need to have the other outlets activated in order to use them.  To activate these outlets you would have to contact Comcast to have a tech come out.

Official Employee

Re: Should all wall outlets in the apartment work to connect to Comcast services?

Check around your apartment for a spot where the cable all comes in, if you've got five outlets more often than not the splitter and feed is right in your apartment, look for a blank wall plate, most likely in master closet, laundry or furnace area.
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

Comcast is not responsible for cable that are in your apartment.  If they do an install they may have to add a splitter and/or cable to get their signal to existing Comcast equipment.  Everything else is yours.  If you can't find the connection(s) that need to be made, your best option would be to find a local handyman/electrician (Craig's List?)..

Valued Contributor

more then likely the person who lived there before you had Dish or Direct TV so those outlets are not connected to the Comcast line. If you can locate the wiring and switch it over yourself go for it. You probably will need a box though in those rooms to be able to use the cable. If you dont/cant switch over the wiring you will need to call for a tech to do it. I know my mom had this issue and i believe it was 50 or 60 bucks for a tech to come out and she did have to pay it even though she lived in an apartment

Regular Visitor

I'm in a similar situation. I found the cables thanks to your post. Only one was connected and there is no splitter. I need to have two connected (one for cable modem and other for cable tv box). Can you recommend a splitter to use? I happen to have a 2-2150 MHz MSPLIT2R1-03 from a previous install but I don't know if I should use it or buy a different one. I appreciate the help. 

Silver Problem Solver

That splitter should work.

Regular Visitor

The cable box started working but the modem quit working when I connected that splitter. Just ordered one of the 5-1000Mhz two way splitters. We'll see how that works.