Community Forum

Set-top box rebooting constantly

New Poster

Set-top box rebooting constantly

One of my three set-top boxes has been rebooting at least three times per day, taking 5-7 minutes each time to come back online.  Comcast techs have been out at least three times, have checked all connections and cables, have swapped out the box once.   Nothing has worked, and clearly the techs have no idea how to fix it.   Any suggestions?  One tech said there is a newer box model out there that they don't have on the truck so I'd have to get the existing box to a Comast location to swap it out. 

Expert

Re: Set-top box rebooting constantly

Problems like this are most likely caused by RF interference with the signal coming and going from the box. Something in the room: LED, fluorescent lighting, fans, other electrical equipment, can cause errors in the signal reaching the box.

You may need to move the box to a better location in the room or route cables away from electrical equipment. You will also need to use RG6u (quad-shielded) coaxial cable to block interference.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @joephil

Welcome to the Xfinity Forums. @MNtundraRET is correct regarding the cause of the issue reported. However, if the tech did not have the box you need on his truck at the time of the trouble calls, you can either pick one up from the local service center or I can ship you one. I've replied to your private message. When you have a moment to check my response, let me know how you'd like to proceed.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thank you.  While RF interference may indeed be a cause of unusual rebooting of set top boxes, I have had my existing cable set-up for many years without rebooting problems and without introducing new nearby electronic devices.  The rebooting started about one month ago.   I have since swapped out the box several times, finally having success with my present box.  

The box that is working fine is the one that the Comcast store representatives refer to as the "light box" because there is a similar-looking box that is materially heavier.  This box has the numbers "XG1-A" on the front at bottom right.   So for other Comcast customers having this problem, I would try that box first before reshuffling any electronic devices in the room.  Aug 2, 2019

New Poster

We got a new set top box recently and it was also rebooting everyn time we used the remote.  Turned out (in our case at least) the problem was that the box was overheating because I forgot to take the plastic off the box and the plastic cover prevented the heat from escaping.... maybe posting this will help other folks with this annoying but easily fixable problem.

Frequent Visitor

This has been going on all weekend for me on my one box. Happens at least once a month, but I put up with it because I hate calling customer service because of the horrible service I have gotten in the past. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to call to get a new box this time because it is going away like normal.  

Expert

@ceciliab1 wrote:

This has been going on all weekend for me on my one box. Happens at least once a month, but I put up with it because I hate calling customer service because of the horrible service I have gotten in the past. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to call to get a new box this time because it is going away like normal.  

The best way is to take current box to the nearest service center for "no charge" exchange. You will have a printed receipt. for your records. It also allows getting any questions answered at the same time. I hope you have one close by.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.