Community Forum

Self Install with current direct tv

New Poster

Self Install with current direct tv

Ok have direct tv in all of my homes outlets except one. That "one" is where the comcast interent modem is located. I recieved 5 cable boxes and a new modem. The modem works fine, b ecause I just replaced it with the new one. The customer service rep says all i have to do is replace the direct tv boxes with the comcast ones, but my son, who used to work for time warner cable says that its impossible for that to work without the the comcast service being switched ...something to do with splitters?? So i had my neighbour look at it who used to install cable, he disconnected direct tv from the source and the took a splitter and put it from existing comcast orange coax to the pre wired direct tv, but the tv's still wont work and the modem still only works in that one room, will he or ...if i call comcast, have to go into the attic where all the connections come together?? I was up there a few weeks ago and seen alot of splitters and cables up there...If he took the comcast cable and plugged it into the the old direct tv wires outside...why isnt it working, ...would like to avoid a tech coming out!! thanks!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Self Install with current direct tv

so you have comcast in the home for internet.   I don't have satellite tv but I think the wiring for that is different than what you get for cable.  You are going to need to get a tech out there, you might need all new wiring.  Is the wiring you have even connected to the line where the modem is?  I would think cable line and the directv lines are totally seperate for obvious reasons.  So unless you have a split coming off the internet line going to the tv outlets there is no way its going to work, as your current lines all go outside to the satellite dish and none go to the cable line where your internet is.  you most likely need all new wiring. 

New Poster

right, they are both different lines, you are correct, but the guy tapped into the existing coax lines from direct tv with the comcast feed...souldnt that work???

The cables coming from the dish itself have been disconnected, so her added a splitter and tapped into the existing lines using the internet line from comcast that was already there...

maybe it needs to be split int the attic too and not just outside??

Silver Problem Solver

ok so lets think about it.  YOu have a dish on the roof, the wiring from there goes down to all the outlets in the house.   so all the outlets go out to the dish on the roof.   so do they connect to the comcast internet line anywhere?    you see the issue here.  All you outlets run to the dish on the roof.  so somehow you need to get them all to run to the comcast cable line.   Also you might have to many boxes running off one line to get them to work. 

i will also add this little tidbit.  Most internet only customers have a "trap" on the line outside that prohibits tv reception so you have to have a tech come out to remove that trap.  So either way you would need a tech to come out and look this over.   I don't know what cables satellite tv uses that is not my area.   you also need to get the boxes activated from comcast.  

New Poster

I dont think there is a trap, when i put one of the cable boxes in the room with internet it started working, so cant be a trap.

let me explain it a little better, 

there are two coaxial cables that come the dish...BEFORE it goes to my home there is some sort of silver looking peice where two more cbales om out of...its not a splitter it looks like these things http://img.alibaba.com/wsphoto/380143755/free-shipping-10-pcs-TNC-female-to-TNC-female-Coax-Adapters...

but its all one piece...i dont know what you call that...

so then it comes out from there into the house, so the guy disconnected it from one end, and put the internet line on a splitter and hooked the two coaxs into that... you see what i mean??? 

Silver Problem Solver

yes I see that piece is just a connector that extends the cable.   My advice to you is get a tech out spend the 50 bucks and get it done right.  He can check the wiring and the splitters and the signal strength.  You don't want to split that one cable 5 ways it will degrade your internet and your picture.   its up to you but that's what I would do.  If you pay the maintenance on your account it would be free.  Maybe you call and add that then call them and it will be free.   then cancel it.  little secret.

New Poster

thanks

Silver Problem Solver

If rog is talking about the Service Protection Plan I don't think it covers installation. This is from the Comcast site

http://www.comcast.com/spp/terms.html?SCRedirect=true

The Plan does not cover initial installation or installation of primary or additional Internet or cable outlets or telephone jacks or the move or reconfiguration of existing Internet or cable outlets and telephone jacks.

Expert

FIrst, you have to get rid of the DirectTV ground block (the grey thing) and the dish itself should be disconnected.

If your house is "home run" meaning all the coax runs back to a central location, you should be on easy street. Use a compliant two way splitter (5-1000MHz) --one leg should feed the modem, the other leg should feed another splitter that feeds everything else.

Satellite uses different splitters and taps, if you find any of those they should be replaced. Some satellite installer are done in series (one box connected to another), in which case you'll probably need a tech to figure it all out.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.