Community Forum

STB refsw design

Regular Visitor

STB refsw design

We frequently have the TV picture interrupted and the screen displays " STB Refsw design". We have HDMI cables,  two TV sets, different manufacturers, happens on both.

We have reset the router several times.

What / where is the problem??. 

Contributor

Re: STB refsw design

The message is due to the fact that your TV is "refreshing" the display resolution based on the programming it's getting.  Which happens quite frequently if you are changing from HD channels to standard channels.

There are tons of possible solutions for this and a quick google search will give you ideas.

One thing you can check is to see if the cable box is set to HD.

With the cable box and TV on

Use the comcast remote and press the CABLE button at the top and then the POWER button to turn the box off (but leave the TV on)

Then press the MENU within 5 seconds

This will bring up the display settings menu

YPBR/HDMI should be 720p

4:3 Override should be 480p

Use the arrow keys to adjust

All other settings are optional and won't effect resolution.

Then press the power button again to save this and turn the box back on and test.

This is for HD DIGITAL boxes only.  Our HD DTA (real tiny black boxes with no guide or on demand) have a different menu that can be accessed thru the XFINITY button.

Good luck!

EDIT: FYI - There are very very very few stations that broadcast in true 1080 due to cost.  Though you can set boxes to 1080i/p, you're box will adjust to the channels resolution only which is normally 720p.  Setting to 1080i or 1080p## will cause similar results as you are already having.

Regular Visitor

Thanks!! 

New Poster

How do you restart with the x1 controller? Im getting STB refsw design on my TV and my screen is black.

Gold Problem Solver

AnotherLeveLDC5 wrote:

How do you restart with the x1 controller? Im getting STB refsw design on my TV and my screen is black.

If you have a black screen, you cannot access the Settings on the X1 platform to restart.  In this case, pull power cord from the outlet and let it sit for 10 seconds and then plug back in.  This is a restart of the box.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Gold Problem Solver

Topic now Closed.