Community Forum

Remote won't call up Channel Guide, change channels or let me get into my DVR

Frequent Visitor

Remote won't call up Channel Guide, change channels or let me get into my DVR

There was an outage in my area last night and now I cannot use my remote. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Remote won't call up Channel Guide, change channels or let me get into my DVR

Make sure the button marked "Cable" on the top center of the remote is seleted.  You may have accidentally seleted "AUX" or "TV" inadvertently.

Valued Contributor

Re: Remote won't call up Channel Guide, change channels or let me get into my DVR

You might need new batteriesin the remote.

Also, try power cycle of the cable box.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone, it's definitely not the remote itself, there is something wrong, the tv is now going on and off, the picture goes black.  I have a service appointment on Wednesday. 

Regular Visitor

i had a very similar(if not the same)on 1-18-15. Worked with a very nice cust. serv. rep. on it. Nothing that was suggested worked. I set up an appt. with her for a tech to come out 2day. But, the problem resolved itself last night so i canceled the appointment. and yet 2day around 10am the same thing started happening again. I am not setting up another appointment because I don't think the problem is here, especially because the rep said there weren't many complaints of this issue in my area, but there were tons of the same problem in the Colo. Springs, Pueblo area yesterday when my problem was happening. I fully expect the problem to correct itself again today....

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for that info, very helpful.  I'm going to wait to see what tomorrow brings.

Frequent Visitor

This same thing is happening to me tonight (1/19/15) in St. Paul, MN.  I can turn the tv on and off, and increase/decrease the volume, but every other button I hit does nothing except light up the green light next to the clock on the xfinity box.  I am on the phone now with a tech.  She reset the box for me, and now my remote is working!!! 

Regular Visitor

Although it took longer, the problem "resolved/reset" itself again. And now that you say that the rep did send a "signal" to my boxes also when it originally happened on Sunday. But the signal was never received, boxes never went off like they should. For me on Sunday the problem resolved itself about 3-4 hours later. When it happened monday, I didn't call anyone since I could see it was the same problem. This time it took about 6-8 hours to resolve itself. It didn't bother me because I have a streaming device, and those Mohu Leaf antennas so I had over the air free HD and other things to keep me entertained. I want to drop everything and just have the internet to save money. Unfortunately I am stuck in a home security contract for 2 yrs. until I can buy it out before that. I bet it will happen again later today on me...don't know if this is a congested broadband issue, or some sort of project they are doing.

Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Day three for me, and the problem doesn't seem to be resolving itself, now I'm getting an error message that something is wrong with the box.  So I have a tech coming tomorrow morning.  I better get some money reduced off my bill for this aggravation.  I have my 82 year old mother with me and she really has certain programs she watches everyday. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

problem solved