Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Remote control freezes

New Poster

Remote control freezes

The remote control freezes.  None of buttons wll work, not even exit.  The only way to clear seems to be to unplug th cable box/DVR and let the whole system reboot.

I tried removing a battery, but that didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Remote control freezes - to Teri2001

After finishing up in chat with Comcast everything was working except for the My DVR button and onDemand. I found this link via google: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/whichremote/thread.cgi?398,4 I followed the instructions in post #51 using the codes provided in post #56. Worked like a charm and everything is working just fine now. 

All Replies
Regular Contributor

Re: Remote control freezes - Some info

To be accurate, the problem is in the Box (DVR, or anywhere box). The remote control seldom malfunctions except when the batteries are low. So, your real problem is the box isn't responding to the remotes signals. A poor signal or a channel signal interruption can cause this. If the remote doesn't start communicating with the box on it's own in a minute or so, do a box software reset/reload.

Press and hold the power button on the box for 10 seconds. Release. The box will power off and then begin reloading the software and will be working again in about 5 to 7 minutes.

If my box had a true advanced artificial intelligence with speech recognition , I'm sure it would be hurt and insulted by some of the comments I have directed at it.

Just what you wanted to hear ? NOT !!!!

New Poster

You're right, not what I wanted to hear.  Washoping there was some way to correct without rebooting.

Thanks for your help.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem. Rebooting did not help. Any other ideas? I put fresh batteries in. The remote lights up as if it is working but it's not. Nothing. No response at all. 

Regular Contributor

At this point it sounds like you have a bad box. It's time to call Comcast and have a tech rep sort out the problem.

Frequent Visitor

Hmmm, I received 2 e-mails saying that ComcastTeds had replied to this post but when I follow the links there is nothing from him. I was able to solve my problem with the help of a third party site. It was very helpful and much quicker than anything Comcast had me do. I spent close to an hour in chat with someone from Comcast. Ultimately they got some functions working for me again but not others. She told me my "issue is resolved" and ended the chat. No concern at all that at that point I still couldn't access my dvr recordings or on demand. I found a quick easy solution by googling my problem. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to another site? 

Regular Contributor

No restrictions on posting links I know of

( Except the Link to Wanda's House of Pain.)

I got the same 2 E-mails with the same results. Looks like Ted changed his mind and went into hiding.

Official Employee

BeowolfJones wrote:

No restrictions on posting links I know of

( Except the Link to Wanda's House of Pain.)

I got the same 2 E-mails with the same results. Looks like Ted changed his mind and went into hiding.

Nope, seems to be a problem with my post sticking. I will try again. 

Frequent Visitor

After finishing up in chat with Comcast everything was working except for the My DVR button and onDemand. I found this link via google: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/whichremote/thread.cgi?398,4 I followed the instructions in post #51 using the codes provided in post #56. Worked like a charm and everything is working just fine now. 

Regular Contributor

We've been talking apples and oranges here. You are using a pre X1 platform remote and box. The post you refer to was made in 2011. Most of the problems I have been dealing with are related to the new X1 box and associated peripherals. My Bad. The MyDVR button was a clue. The new X1 remote has no such button. I'm glad you got it your remote working.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, mine is not the x1. I have yet to hear a single positive thing about the x1! I will stick with my dinosaur as long as I can. Smiley Happy I hope you get your problems resolved. 

Official Employee
Moved: