Community Forum

RNG150N Lan Light

Contributor

RNG150N Lan Light

Does anyone know why my Motorola RNG 150N Lan light is on?

I hooked up my computer to the Ethernet port and it showed a public,  unidentified network with no Internet access. Any ideas?

Official Employee

Re: RNG150N Lan Light

There’s no internet connection out of the cable box. Why would you connect your computer to the cable box and not a modem

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I know there is no internet from the box. I wanted to see if there was an active local network. And I wanted to see what was on it.

Gold Problem Solver

@sfsassz123 wrote: ... I wanted to see if there was an active local network. ...

We don't know why their TV boxes have an Ethernet port. Maybe it's used in manufacturing or testing, or maybe Comcast uses it to set up the boxes, or maybe they just included one in case they needed it someday. Only an insider at Comcast or one of the manufacturers could say for sure, and to my knowledge none ever has.

All we know is the port connects to a DHCP server that assigns a private IP address in the 192.168.x.y range but provides no access to anything.

Silver Problem Solver

The cable boxes are generic and used by many different cable companies. Some may use the USB and Ethernet ports for various features, but Comcast doesn't.

Contributor

Cool. Thanks for the info. I saw a port and plugged into. Story of my life.
Thanks again.
Contributor

Would you happen to know why its lit? It turned on about 6 months ago. Just curious.
Silver Problem Solver

It may have detected another cable box, either in your home or even a neighbor. You may want to have a MoCA filter added.

To check if that is the reason:

Press MENU twice to get to the main menu.

Select "Setup"

Select "Cable Box Setup"

Scroll down to the Configuration entry and hit OK.

On the device configuration screen, press the FAV button to enter the iGuide diagnostics.

Press FAV a few times until you get to a screen title "Software FIltering 1". Look for an entry near the lower-right titled "HMA Enabled". If it says "Yes", then your box has detected another box and is trying to communicate with it.

If you press FAV a few more times, you come to a "Multi-Room DVR" screen. If it has data, it again means it found something.

This is what the screens should normally look like, with no other device detected:

SoftwareFiltering1.jpgMultiRoomDVR.jpg

Contributor

I do not have a menu option on my rng150 but I do have 5 other boxes in my home so it is possible that it does detect them. right Although my box is the only one with the Lan Light lit.

I do not have an any room dvr. I have two stand alone dvrs.

The others boxes do have the menu function and i will check their configuration. What would be the issues, if any, if my box does detect other boxes? 

Contributor

I can review the cable box configuration when I go through xfinity menu from my remote but do not see anything like what you are saying I should see.