Community Forum

Problems after activation of new set-top box

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Problems after activation of new set-top box

I picked up a new set-top box (Cisco RNG150N) at the store - connected everything and it wouldn't start. Called support and was told to use www.xfinity.com/activate. Well it activated, but it set things up for X1 and I didn't have X1 before.

Cable works now but the screen sizes are all messed up. The guide and the SD channels are zoomed. The smart TV (LG) aspect ratio is set to 16.9.

How can I get things reset to non-X1?

Regular Visitor

Re: Problems after activation of new set-top box

OK, gave up and called Comcast for support. A tech is coming over in a couple of days - will post results.

Expert

Did you check under Setup on the cable-box menu to get the correct aspect screen? This box can be changed for aspect (picture size).

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

The day before the tech was supposed to arrive, I turned on the TV and the guide was normal - not zoomed.  Hmmm. 

When the tech arrived, he set the Aspect Ratio to 'Original' - I said that I had tried that but some of the channels still didn't look the way that I expected them o. He explained that the Original setting displays the channel as it is broadcast - SD as 480 and HD as 16.9. 

Before all this happened, I used to go to the 1000 series of the channels that I liked to watch, and now they looked different - that's because they're broadcast as 720!

So, a learning experience and everything works now.

Regular Visitor

I saw your reply after I answered. Yes, the aspect ratio was the solution, but now I understand what the correct setting is.