Community Forum

Pixelation Problems Lasting 5+ Years PLEASE HELP

New Poster

Pixelation Problems Lasting 5+ Years PLEASE HELP

I am writing this in the hopes that somehow, someway this problem can be addressed and actually solved properly, because thus far it has not been solved despite numerous attempts over literally years. Essentially ALL TV's in my house pixelate badly off-and-on throughout the day. Sometimes the picture will simply freeze altogether; or I'll get a black screen and/or a message saying something along the lines of "this channel will be available shortly". I often consider the picture to be so bad that it is literally unwatchable (repeatedly going out for 30 seconds or so before returning).

The problem is intermittent, to the point where it might be fine for an hour or two and then suddenly the picture will degrade into a horrid mess of pixelation. It is usually at its worst sometime between 9AM and 6PM (although it has occurred at other times as well), visible 5+ days a week, and generally affects the high definition channels more-so than the low definition channels.  Many (if not most) channels are affected.

This has been happening over at least the past 5 years during which I have had at least 5 or 6 service calls; each time they've left with the picture working ok and promising me that everything was "fixed," however each time the problems returns shortly. Usually when they come the problem conveniently isn't even present, and dealing with their tech support is so painful that I rarely have the time & energy to do so. No turning the box off and waiting 30 seconds doesn't fix it... Twice they have replaced every single connector/splitter in the entire house to no avail. They've also replaced HDMI cables, boxes, etc. Nothing that they've done has ever helped.

My neighbors (the ones who haven't already switched to another service) have complained about poor service as well; virtually the same issue as mine. I am posting here to hopefully get more help than I've gotten over the last 5 years from Comcast.

TLDR: Pixelation problems occurring for over 5 years, virtually everything in house has been replaced by comcast, and at least 5 service calls haven't fixed or helped the problem

Official Employee

Re: Pixelation Problems Lasting 5+ Years PLEASE HELP

@Benny5 wrote:

I am writing this in the hopes that somehow, someway this problem can be addressed and actually solved properly, because thus far it has not been solved despite numerous attempts over literally years. Essentially ALL TV's in my house pixelate badly off-and-on throughout the day. Sometimes the picture will simply freeze altogether; or I'll get a black screen and/or a message saying something along the lines of "this channel will be available shortly". I often consider the picture to be so bad that it is literally unwatchable (repeatedly going out for 30 seconds or so before returning).

The problem is intermittent, to the point where it might be fine for an hour or two and then suddenly the picture will degrade into a horrid mess of pixelation. It is usually at its worst sometime between 9AM and 6PM (although it has occurred at other times as well), visible 5+ days a week, and generally affects the high definition channels more-so than the low definition channels.

This has been happening over at least the past 5 years during which I have had at least 5 or 6 service calls; each time they've left with the picture working ok and promising me that everything was "fixed," however each time the problems returns shortly. Usually when they come the problem conveniently isn't even present, and dealing with their tech support is so painful that I rarely have the time & energy to do so. No turning the box off and waiting 30 seconds doesn't fix it... Twice they have replaced every single connector/splitter in the entire house to no avail. They've also replaced HDMI cables, boxes, etc. Nothing that they've done has ever helped.

My neighbors (the ones who haven't already switched to another service) have complained about poor service as well; virtually the same issue as mine. I am posting here to hopefully get more help than I've gotten over the last 5 years from Comcast.

TLDR: Pixelation problems occurring for over 5 years, virtually everything in house has been replaced by comcast, and at least 5 service calls haven't fixed or helped the problem

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. This condition can and should be corrected.

To be clear, for video issues with the TV signal like what you described above, it is almost always a local signal issue, bad cable, amplifier, splitter or outside the home issue. 

The issue can occur on a single channel or multiple channels due to the frequency or frequency range that the channel is delivered on. Changes/swings in temperatures can also aggravate the issue.

Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

Box swaps, box refreshes and multiple box refreshes may not resolve this issue if there is an underlying local signal issue.

I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you  (I did not see any technician visits listed at your address in the past 60 days) so that we can start the troubleshooting process and get this resolved.

A technician visit may be required so that the signal levels can be reviewed and adjusted if necessary. There is no charge if the issue is determined to be with our equipment or originating outside your home.

Also, there is an open issue right now that sounds like it may be impacting your service: Due to maintenance, this customer is experiencing a service interruption. A technician is in the area working to resolve the issue. Activity began on 07/18/2019 10:02 AM (Eastern) and is expected to end on 07/18/2019 02:02 PM (Eastern).

Thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi @Benny5, thanks for reaching out to our Forums! I first want to thank you for being a loyal Comcast customer, we appreciate it. It's upsetting to hear that this reception problem has been an ongoing issue for you. I can imagine how inconvenient and frustrating this is and I would love to further assist you. I have responded to your Private Message and look forward to hearing back from you. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@ComcastTeds First of all, thank you SO much for all your help thus far and for your detailed explanation.  It's given me hope for the first time in years that this can actually be solved.  I really appreciate it.

You mentioned that you "have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you" and just today I received a call from someone wishing to discuss the issue further.  I'm going to call them back right away and will report on my results.  Hopefully they'll be able to help resolve the issue, and either way I'll report back on what happens.

Thanks again!

New Poster

@ComcastAmira Replied to your PM, looking forward to your response! Smiley Happy

Official Employee

@Benny5, I have responded in our private message, thanks! 

Official Employee

@Benny5, I have not heard back from you in our private message or on here, so I will be locking this thread. Please be sure to send me another PM if you still need assistance with this pixelation concern, I would love to help. Please create a new Public post for any new issues or concerns, we're here and happy to assist. Thanks and we appreciate you being the best part of Comcast.