Community Forum

Picture cut-off about 2" on each side on SD Scientific-Atlanta SA2200 output

New Poster

Picture cut-off about 2" on each side on SD Scientific-Atlanta SA2200 output

I have a Samsung HDTV in the bedrooom with a Comcast Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 2200 cable box. On both the RF output and discrete A-V outputs (has no HDMI) the picture is cut-off about 2" on either side.   The zoom button on my 'silver Xfinity remote with red OK/Select button' does nothing.  It appears the output of the SD SA2200 cable box is 4:3 to give a normal not-stretched picture but there is no way to get a full, no missing sides, picture.   My other Xfinity HD with DVR receiver gets the full picture on the same cable so it must be a SA2200 problem.  What's the solution, or am I missing some 'secret' control button to get the full SD picture? 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Picture cut-off about 2" on each side on SD Scientific-Atlanta SA2200 output

Try using your actual tv remote

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Picture cut-off about 2" on each side on SD Scientific-Atlanta SA2200 output

Andrew,

'Been there done that'.   The Samsung remote can zoom, change picture format, etc. BUT cannot restore the cut-off picture output form the SA2200.

Gold Problem Solver

@irenga5 wrote: ... SD SA2200 cable box is 4:3 ...

I believe that is a standard def only box. If you want HD you need to replace the 2200 with an HD box with HDMI output (or, at least, component outputs). Box rental price is the same whether it's HD or SD.

New Poster

You're right, it is a SD box but why does it not output the full picture?  I would love to 'swap' this box for one that gets the whole picture...but I'm told it will be at extra cost if I 'upgrade' to an HD box.  For this location I don't really need HD, SD will do.  Given that content providers and over-the-air broadcasts have gone to HD years ago, I'm surprised Comcast still rents SD boxes.  They must 'dumb down' the signal for SD somehow losing the outer edges of the picture.